2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

36 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Two star recruit from Arlington. 

This is his description from the university website.

https://gowyo.com/sports/football/roster/isaiah-neyor/6067

UW This Season: After being one of the top targets last season for Cowboy quarterbacks, Neyor returns at the top of the depth chart at the Z-receiver position. He is one of the top big play threats in the Mountain West.

2020: Isaiah Neyor was one of the most explosive receivers in the Mountain West Conference his redshirt freshman season, averaging 31.0 yards per catch.  If Neyor had four more receptions on the season to qualify for NCAA rankings, his 31.0-yard average per catch would have led the nation. He had his first 100-yard receiving game in the season opener at Nevada, catching 3 passes for 102 yards.  Neyor also had three receptions for 77 yards at Colorado State. Neyor caught 7 passes of 15 yards or more in 2020.  He had catches of 45, 34 and 23 yards at Nevada; catches of 37 and 33 yards at Colorado State; one reception of 54 yards at New Mexico; and one catch for 15 yards at UNLV.
 Neyor ranked No. 2 on the Wyoming roster in receiving yards in 2020 with 248.  He also ranked No. 2 for the Cowboys in receiving yards per game this season, averaging 41.3 receiving yards per game.

2019: Neyor appeared in one game for the Cowboys last season maintaining his redshirt status. He appeared in a contest at Utah State.

High School: Isaiah Neyor played wide receiver for Lamar High School in Arlington, Texas. He earned Second Team Class 6A All-District 4 honors as a senior. Class 6A is the largest classification in Texas high school football. Neyor caught 39 passes for 858 yards and had eight touchdown receptions in 2018.  He helped lead Lamar High to an 11-2 overall record and a 6-1 record in Region 1 District 4 of Class 6A for a second-place finish. Lamar advanced to the Class 6A D1 state playoffs. The Vikings defeated San Angelo Central (55-14) in the Bi-District round, followed by a 49-35 win over Permian in the Area round, before losing to Duncanville (45-6) in the Regional round. Neyor played for head football coach Laban DeLay.

4 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Surprised there isn’t more hype on here about him. 

I think its at least in part because we were told early we were the favorite and then there has been zero news since then.

I'll be fucking thrilled when he does commit.  We need DB help in the worst way (especially guys we can play on an island) - and I'm not going to be shocked if its Watts and Brooks starting this season.

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think its at least in part because we were told early we were the favorite and then there has been zero news since then.

I'll be fucking thrilled when he does commit.  We need DB help in the worst way (especially guys we can play on an island) - and I'm not going to be shocked if its Watts and Brooks starting this season.

I think people are sleeping Barron. The guy came in and played well. He was the highest rated defender on Texas according to PFF on the season (min 300 snaps).  Just a side note, PFF had Barron and Murphy,m as #1 and #3 on the defense. It’s tells why they were bad and oddly gives a little hope 

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry Hamilton said last night he feels that Bryan Allen will also start in the secondary in 2022.

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

IT

Spoiler

The roster keeps getting bigger and better after Ohio State transfer CB Ryan Watts committed to Texas today.

It seems Quinn Ewers isn’t the only Texan leaving Columbus, Ohio, to play for the Longhorns. Watts, a redshirt freshman cornerback from Little Elm, announced his verbal pledge to Steve Sarkisian, Pete Kwiatkowski, Terry Joseph, and the Texas Longhorns.

[Subscribe to Inside Texas right now and get a 7-day FREE trial!]

“I just felt I really liked the coaching staff,” Watts told Inside Texas. “I had long conversations with them and with my family. I have a good relationship with Coach Joseph. He recruited me at Notre Dame. I took an (official visit) there. He coaches people to what their strengths are.”

Watts entered the NCAA Transfer Portal on December 11. He was a four-star prospect in the On3 Consensus in the Buckeyes’ top five 2021 class. He returns to Texas after playing in 19 games for Ohio State. He chose the Longhorns as his new home over the Baylor Bears.

Part of the reason he’s returning to the Lone Star State? To be closer to family.

“I want to come in and play and make my mark,” Watts said. “I’m happy to be a Longhorn and ready to go to work.”

He started the 2021 season opener against the Minnesota Golden Gophers and played in all 12 games. He recorded six tackles and was tied for the OSU team lead with two interceptions.

What are the Longhorns getting in Watts, who garnered 36 offers including Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Baylor, Georgia, LSU, Stanford, Texas A&M, and Washington during his high school recruitment?

“I consider myself a real physical football player,” Watts said. “I want to get my hands on (receivers) and interrupt their route tree however I can.”

Watts is the second transfer to join the Longhorn football program following the completion of the 2021 season along with Ewers.

Excerpt from the Recruiting Notebook:

Watts is a good one. Showed up to The Opening at 6-foot-3, 187 pounds and ran a 4.59 40, 4.01 shuttle, and had a 38” vertical.

He got some action last year early for the Buckeyes before they zeroed in on other options at cornerback. He played a lot against Minnesota and played a fair amount of press-man on an island and then also some off coverage when they’d play Cover 3. He was good in both but is now listed at 203 and a real problem in press coverage because he actually has the feet and speed to recover. Good tackler as well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Career?  He's a RS Freshman at ohio state.  He played in all their games this year as a RS Freshman.  I don't think that timeline leads to an obvious conclusion of career backup.

He was there 2 years.  He's been a backup for his career.  He would be halfway through his eligibility if he had earned playing time there.  Look, I'm not trying to shit on the guy.  He has talent and Ohio St. has good personnel in their defensive backfield.  It's possible he got lost behind talented, more experienced players.  Let's see what he can do here, but I'm taking an even keeled approach to him. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

This shit is comical at best, and extremely ignorant at worst. If the guy is good enough to play for tOSU and lead that group in interceptions, it is incredibly short sighted to think he isn’t better than the weekly shit show Texas rolled out there last year.

Fucking this. I am not going to turn my nose up at this guy. We need bodies. See what he's got. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

Fucking this. I am not going to turn my nose up at this guy. We need bodies. See what he's got. 

Ohio state has one of the most loaded DB rooms in the country as is their WR. Same dipshits here probably would have turned their nose up at the thought of getting Jameson Williams. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He was there 2 years.  He's been a backup for his career.  He would be halfway through his eligibility if he had earned playing time there.  Look, I'm not trying to shit on the guy.  He has talent and Ohio St. has good personnel in their defensive backfield.  It's possible he got lost behind talented, more experienced players.  Let's see what he can do here, but I'm taking an even keeled approach to him. 

Doubling down on the retarded. Interesting move.
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I understand your hesitancy. Completely. 

Here's my question. Is he better than the slapdicks we have had in the back end? Cause a few of those guys, although highly rated, sucked shit. Partly scheme. Partly skill.

What I really like is we are pulling guys who disrupt receivers man vs. man. 

Interview with Hamilton said the coaches have been talking about getting his hands on receivers...off the line. 

This is what we need.

Hook'em 

18 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Doubling down on the retarded. Interesting move.

I was responding to someone asking why this recruitment wasn't getting more hype.  He played in six total games in 2 years.  He didn't play special teams.  When you have 5 DB's on the field against most offenses, he got almost no playing time.  Does that mean he's terrible? No.  Does that mean he's going to bust here? No. Does that mean he's going to be a career backup here too? No.  It just means there's legitimate reasons to not get too high on someone who hasn't shown he's starter material yet. 

And yes, there are examples of backups blowing up elsewhere. I hope it happens here too, but let's also acknowledge that the Jameson Williams of the world are more of the exception rather than the rule. 

Edited by RabidM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)