2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

To be a better defense next year, Texas needs to a) generate a better pass rush, b) be stronger at the point of attach at linebacker, c) get better safety play, and d) improve tackling generally.

So….everything basically? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

My response to Bobby regarding Watts is unless he has a 25 yard wingspan, he is not helping with the run game. You can't help tackle or get off a block when you are not even in the picture and are 25 yards off the ball.

Only thing I could find on the Ohio State boards regarding Watts:

Plays vs Oregon:

CORNERBACK
    Denzel Burke: 74
    Cameron Brown: 58
    Lejond Cavazos: 19
    Demario McCall: Special teams only
    Ryan Watts: Special teams only

Poster Question: I can’t figure out how in the world Lejond is playing more than Watts. Lejond plays like a guy who is just learning how to play. He tackles way too high, he’s slow to react, and takes poor angles. He played worse than Watts when they both played in game 1. What did they see that made them play him more on defense than Ryan?

Response: But Lejond's shit-talking game is real strong ... so he's got that going for him. 

Edited by DanTheHorn

Oh come on. Except for subpar db play, lb play, dl play, qb play, OL play, wr play, te play, tackling, turnovers, route running, protection, getting free off the ball, gap filling, playing the ball and not the receiver, leverage, pad level, arm angle, footwork, pocket awareness, and general hustle, the rest of the team looked pretty good. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

My response to Bobby regarding Watts is unless he has a 25 yard wingspan, he is not helping with the run game. You can't help tackle or get off a block when you are not even in the picture and are 25 yards off the ball.

Only thing I could find on the Ohio State boards regarding Watts:

nana changing GIF

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Rholl said:

who cares how Watts did in Columbus..... I hope he comes in and becomes a lock down corner or a ball hawking safety and NFL teams start looking at him as a day 1 draft prospect.   

I hope he locks down a spot at CB, but if he doesnt I would love to see him at NB. He is a big CB. I could see him there and Cook at FS. 

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I hope he locks down a spot at CB, but if he doesnt I would love to see him at NB. He is a big CB. I could see him there and Cook at FS. 

I could get on board with this. Although, I am wondering if they prefer the size on the outside so that our DBs can press more. I think part of the reason we were playing so soft is to not get bodied up on deep balls with our smaller corners. 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I could get on board with this. Although, I am wondering if they prefer the size on the outside so that our DBs can press more. I think part of the reason we were playing so soft is to not get bodied up on deep balls with our smaller corners. 

Just thinking out loud. I didnt like the Safety play last year. I think Cook can tackle and has solid range to play FS. He should have solid coverage ability after playing CB and NB for a couple years. I actually think Barron should be the starter at one CB. Let Watts, Jamison, Cook, and Crawford fight for the 2nd spot. Watts and Crawford being Nickel candidates if they lose out. I have my doubts the Watts will be a shutdown CB, but I think his size and athleticism can make him a legit player in multiple other spots if CB doesnt work out. 

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Crawford is healthy 6'0 200 lbs so nickel could be in the cards. I'd line up whomever had the better in-air ball skills at CB and the other at nickel and call it a day 

he has shown a likely to hitting. I have come around to the Akina school of thought. Just recruit 4 Cbs every year and spin down the own that dont survive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Returning punts ??

Hell, Ian Boyd will probably write something soon saying Jamison should move back to WR...

I don't get everyone so down on Jamison. He's almost always in tight coverage. No, he didn't make plays like last year and hasn't lived up to his potential but nobody made plays this year. He's been a solid starter and an above average returner, and if it goes like it usually does with similar Texas DBs, he'll be in the league for years. And now he owes my fifty bucks.

• Like 1

Not sure how much longer Crawford is willing to wait, if at all at this point. Would not be surprised to see him portal. Y’all are also forgetting about Jamier Johnson. Hopefully the CB positions are really an open competition in the spring. Enough people think the best guys didn’t play enough last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't get everyone so down on Jamison. He's almost always in tight coverage. No, he didn't make plays like last year and hasn't lived up to his potential but nobody made plays this year. He's been a solid starter and an above average returner, and if it goes like it usually does with similar Texas DBs, he'll be in the league for years. And now he owes my fifty bucks.

D’Shawn owes you more than $50 for those lies outside above average returner. He was caught looking in the backfield way too many times while his receiver ran wide open down the sideline.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mwaadeeb said:

Which Jamison were you watching? He has pretty much never played tight coverage

1 hour ago, kwood4408 said:

D’Shawn owes you more than $50 for those lies outside above average returner. He was caught looking in the backfield way too many times while his receiver ran wide open down the sideline.

corrected re: returns. Still think his problem wasn't coverage as much as making plays.

Edited by mwaadeeb

3 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

You don't know shit, son:

"Jamison set a UT single season record with a 31.7 yards-per-return average on kickoff ... his 564 kickoff return yards rank as the third-most in a season in school history ... was named the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week on two occasions (at Oklahoma State, at Kansas State)"

You're wrong about coverage too. His problem was not making plays, but he was there to make them. Have a seat.

Why does it matter if he was in the right spot to make a play or not? Only time I can remember him truly making a play on the ball was that 1 handed int vs WV. Been seeing the same thing from him the last 2 years and all of a sudden he’ll figure it out this year?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OB3 said:

Why does it matter if he was in the right spot to make a play or not? Only time I can remember him truly making a play on the ball was that 1 handed int vs WV. Been seeing the same thing from him the last 2 years and all of a sudden he’ll figure it out this year?

I'm just saying he's not a scrub who should be changing positions, that's ridiculous. He has the tools and three years of experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, cafe society said:

I could get behind Jamison back to receiver.  Crawford and Barron at CB, leave Cook at nickel, let Watts, Thompson, Allen, Coffee and Johnson battle for the back end.

Y’all not accounting for Brooks? Dude is probably the best or second best CB on the roster by next fall.

11 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Y’all not accounting for Brooks? Dude is probably the best or second best CB on the roster by next fall.

Of course you have him competing, but I have my doubts he beats out Crawford and Barron his freshman season.  If he does, it means he is pretty fucking great.  Crawford is another player I saw a lot of in high school, and he is a true island corner, IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Which Jamison were you watching? He has pretty much never played tight coverage

I actually agree that he plays good coverage for 85-95% of the route. He has a habit of playing the hands when in phase and looking back for ball when he is out of phase. There was the play he just stopped when the WR stepped out. I have always thought that Jamison had all the tools. He is one of the more frustrating players at Texas I can remember. Has the talent, but just can never put it together 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, kwood4408 said:

You can’t really blame a corner for cheating in on the backfield when he has no confidence in the front seven’s ability to play the run. Finding an above average linebacker to plug in will do more for the secondary than any available DB transfer 

3 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

You can’t really blame a corner for cheating in on the backfield when he has no confidence in the front seven’s ability to play the run. Finding an above average linebacker to plug in will do more for the secondary than any available DB transfer 

is that what happened when he had to get benched vs Tech?

• Hook 'Em 1

I can’t blame him if he was looking in the backfield with the thought of coming up for run support but that wasn’t the case at all.

47 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

He has been making the same mistakes for years. He is underclassmen Kris Boyd, just 4 years in 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)