2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Check out this receiver's highlights. He Mosses a couple of guys, shows great speed on a slant and catches some contested balls.

Agree, everyone looks good in a highlight video. Trying to figure who we really like off this portal is going to take some folks that watched all the games commenting on the player.

WR highlight vids that focus more on celebrations than actual playmaking piss me off... show the ability to separate, contact courage, body control to make contested catches or get a foot down in bounds, YAC, etc. 

I guess I’m one of the few people who actually watched him not just through highlights reels as I watched most UTEP games (hometown team and all that jazz). 

I enjoyed watching him as he was one of UTEP’s downfield threats to try to stretch the teams. Hardison’s passing, bless his heart, wasn’t always consistent but Cowings did well when the passes were generally near his area. He isn’t the best blocker of all time, though. Hopefully with a QB that is throwing a bit more consistently, he can be a good WR for us. Not a home run, but he’s certainly worth a transfer. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Looks like Bama expects Gibbs to at least be in the two-deep.

For the RB position group,

- am assuming Robinson's leaving (out of eligibility?

- Trey Sanders (5*)

- Camar Wheaton (5*)

- Emmanuel Henderson ('22 5*)

- Jase McClellan (high 4*)

- Roydell Williams (high 4*)

- Jamarion Miller (high 4*)

- Jahmyr Gibbs (high 4*, transfer)

(Oh, and they have a bevy of receivers, and Young.  So of course they will still pass a lot.)

Even for Bama, that's a ridiculous number of highly rated RBs ... some of them have to transfer, right?

Gibbs is a monster. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s Bama’s starter next season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Whenever a WR, any WR, hits the portal: "He's a take!!"
When QE hit the portal: "1.000 is nice and all, but look at that arm angle. Pass."

FFS, man…. We are on a pretty good run of productive discussion about the portal. Do you think it’s helpful to cross-thread shit-post and and reignite a conversation that has already polluted the QE thread? Be better.

Inside Texas checks in with a new potential portal prospect and Tashard Choice is already on the top tailback in the state for 2023. Enjoy the evening news.

WR Jacob Cowing, UTEP via Maricopa (AZ):

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound receiver from the University of Texas-El Paso entered the NCAA transfer portal this evening. Cowing just put the wraps on a sensational sophomore season. He tallied 1,354 yards on 69 catches, and seven touchdowns in 2021 helping UTEP make the New Mexico Bowl and a 7-6 record.

Cowing is certainly going to draw attention after his 2021 campaign. His film shows playmaking ability that'll easily translate to the next level.

Speaking to sources close to UTEP, Cowing was "an absolute steal from Arizona out of high school." He was a 247 two-star from the Class of 2019.

"He wants to go bigger, and we don't blame him," said the source. "He's a great kid but wants to be closer to home."

That might mean Arizona State, a school he really likes. He has a young child in that area and would prefer to be more near his son. But that won't stop the bigger schools from coming.

Texas, Georgia, USC, LSU, Oklahoma, and Arizona were other schools named that Cowing has interest in. I'm told Texas will give him a hard look, especially with the need of skilled, experienced receivers.

After connecting with Cowing, we should have a better idea of his timetable and potential visits.

2 hours ago, pacman said:

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

...On the other hand, I watched the UTEP kid for 3 plays and have decided he's Diontae Johnson 2.0 and we should go ahead and take him

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I guess I’m one of the few people who actually watched him not just through highlights reels as I watched most UTEP games (hometown team and all that jazz). 

I enjoyed watching him as he was one of UTEP’s downfield threats to try to stretch the teams. Hardison’s passing, bless his heart, wasn’t always consistent but Cowings did well when the passes were generally near his area. He isn’t the best blocker of all time, though. Hopefully with a QB that is throwing a bit more consistently, he can be a good WR for us. Not a home run, but he’s certainly worth a transfer. 

And another one...

If he's smart he chooses a school that puts him in the best spot to be picked in the first 3 rounds next season. 

There's really only one school that has the QB/scheme to give him the best odds on that. It'll be interesting to see if he makes the same types of decisions that landed him at UTEP or has gained some wisdom.

I love how everyone is penciling in the Belitnikof winner before we get his coach. Peak offseason. 

lol I straight googled him expecting it to be major news that he’d announced a transfer or something. Surly’ed.
If he's smart he chooses a school that puts him in the best spot to be picked in the first 3 rounds next season. 
There's really only one school that has the QB/scheme to give him the best odds on that. It'll be interesting to see if he makes the same types of decisions that landed him at UTEP or has gained some wisdom.

lol yes the *checks 247* 441st ranked composite WR in his class with *checks again* only one offer, UTEP, is definitely there because he had other, better options and really fucked up by taking the scholarship offer that now has him in position to transfer to a power 5 school.

You could’ve gone with the kid angle and it might have had the desired effect.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Part of what drives Cowing is the snubs he received three years ago when he was being recruited. While big schools were on him early, one by one they decided they wanted taller receivers than the 5-foot-11 Cowing.

Texas was one of those schools that decided not to take him

Duvernay is 5'11".

4 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Cowen aka Cowing is as good as our’s.

He reminds me of a young Tony Jefferies or Romance Ramonce Taylor.

Nothing like Ramonce other than ~5'9" (real height).

Ramonce was a running back / receiver out of the backfield with track sprinter speed. Once in the open field, against Power 5 players, he was not getting run down by guys who didn't have an angle. He was pure smoke on the field.

Don't remember Tony Jefferies other than the name seems familiar.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tony Jeffery came a year after the big 3.  His freshman year, he didn't play much but when he did come into the game he got the ball on an end around 95% of the time.  GD saw no issue with this.  Just looked it up and he had 5 catches and 11 rushing attempts that year.

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Nothing like Ramonce other than ~5'9" (real height).

Ramonce was a running back / receiver out of the backfield with track sprinter speed. Once in the open field, against Power 5 players, he was not getting run down by guys who didn't have an angle. He was pure smoke on the field.

Don't remember Tony Jefferies other than the name seems familiar.

I was making a joke.  Guy isn’t even here yet and our fans are already misspelling his name.  I thought it was obvious.  I guess not…

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)