2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Riley is going to have his hands full on the west coast dealing with that new Oregon staff.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Oregon is near the front of the line with regards to NIL as well. They will have both rock and rolling

SC's history (Reggie Bush and Joe McKnight say "Hi") and Riley's complaints about the compliance at OU make me certain SC won't lose bidding wars so LOL at anyone who thinks Riley went to SC to play clean.

7 minutes ago, quigley said:

SC's history (Reggie Bush and Joe McKnight say "Hi") and Riley's complaints about the compliance at OU make me certain SC won't lose bidding wars so LOL at anyone who thinks Riley went to SC to play clean.

Do you or do you not think Riley will have a hard time recruiting the West Coast because of the presence of Oregon's bag game?

Also, please refresh us on the nature of Riley's complaints regarding OU compliance. I guess most of us on this board are still puzzled that OU even had a functional compliance department in the first place. The most recent example that supports the aforementioned view is Joe Mixon.

And lastly, why do you think Riley left OU for USC? What was the bottom line there?

15 minutes ago, quigley said:

I think the Bag game and NIL are quite similar in infrastructure. You can’t just wake up and say “I want big NIL deals or I want a big Bag game”. It is more like a business. You have to plan and put people in places to succeed. Oregon went right out and hired the ex-Georgia guy from A&M. Clearly, Lanning is going to go full steam ahead at a place that already has the infrastructure. Has Riley hired anyone like that? Does USC have anything in place or do they have to round up old boosters and try to replicate the prior infrastructure. I am not saying he won’t do it, but it may take longer to get it going than people think 

23 minutes ago, quigley said:

Yeah, it may always be a matter of "It only takes one renegade booster" to change the sheet music, but by and large, the USC network very much resembles the alums at Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, Washington, et al.  As CTJ so appropriately describes them, they are patrician by nature if not birth.  

@UDontKnow

UDontknow: Do you or do you not think Riley will have a hard time recruiting the West Coast because of the presence of Oregon's bag game?

Emphatic, no. SC will out recruit Oregon, and the Trojan's will recruit at the level of Bama/Georgia/A&M. Riley was going to sign at top 5 class to come to Norman-F'in-Oklahoma, including several top 100 defensive players.SC's tradition equals OU's, and SC will pay for players, and SC's in LA. Riley will crush recruiting.

I think it's weird that you (collective) think Lanning's going to recruit that much better than Cristobal, who already had all the advantages that Lanning's going have and also the same negatives. I lived in Oregon for six years (Portland), and looked a job in Eugene. Norman is diverse compared to Eugene. The only Black people in the town are at UO and only 2.4% of the student population is Black. That's a big turn off for someone of color. Eugene is a good 2 hrs from Portland, so basically really far from most population centers. This means that it's too far for some family from the jump.

UDontknow: Also, please refresh us on the nature of Riley's complaints regarding OU compliance. I guess most of us on this board are still puzzled that OU even had a functional compliance department in the first place. The most recent example that supports the aforementioned view is Joe Mixon.
First, OU handled Mixon as a legal matter. The compliance I'm talking about is benefits to players.

When the Bomar situation occurred in 2006, OU was already dealing with a mess created by Kelvin Sampson. A few years later, Jeff Capel created another recruiting scandal.

OU outsourced compliance to a law firm, first, I think, after the combined Sampson/Bomar scandals. The law firm increased scrutiny of the athletics dept after the Capel issues. Good consultants know that you build job security by continuing to find errors in your client's practice.

OU's cheated to the level that UT, Michigan, etc, but not to he Ohio St, SEC, Clemson, Oregon level. OU's lost players to late in recruiting cycles to the aforementioned programs the other program has had little-to-no contact with the player for most of the cycle. I can't remember OU signing a player who was "openly" seeking bids. By no means do I think OU was clean, but I don't think they went as far as other schools or Riley would've liked.

UDontknow: And lastly, why do you think Riley left OU for USC? What was the bottom line there?

Everything I say is conjecture, but here's how I see it. Riley's a 38 yo guy who's never lived in a really desirable place. His current employer had taken a big step (moving to the SEC), without telling him. This employer had ignored some of his small requests (better training table, more analysts) and big requests (bag game, NIL) that would be needed to take this next step. Plus, expectations were really high. People were questioning his offense after consecutive years with freshmen QBs.

SC came and offered him a new place to live and tangible evidence that it would support him with whatever he wanted. He'll be the biggest dog for 1500 miles. He can recruit skill position talent from California and linemen from the islands. For the next 4 years, expections will be relatively low.

To me, seems reasonable that he'd go.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Came at a time that LA had no NFL teams. At the time USC was LA's pro team and I'm not sure they can just turn that on again. Maybe it will happen, but I suspect it will take a few years to set that up at the very least.

27 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Yeah, it may always be a matter of "It only takes one renegade booster" to change the sheet music, but by and large, the USC network very much resembles the alums at Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, Washington, et al.  As CTJ so appropriately describes them, they are patrician by nature if not birth.  

SC loved being included in the Varsity Blues scandal because it showed that there was someone who couldn't get into school there. I'm old enough to remember when SC and ND were considered just ok schools. They've come a long way to be included with UT, Michigan, and UW.

You don't have to be an alum to pay players.

https://www.espn.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5272615

1 minute ago, Atari said:

Came at a time that LA had no NFL teams. At the time USC was LA's pro team and I'm not sure they can just turn that on again. Maybe it will happen, but I suspect it will take a few years to set that up at the very least.

I agree it'll take some time. The Trojans' lines are terrible, and that's hard to hide.

Their skill position talent and DBs will be elite soon though.

49 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think the Bag game and NIL are quite similar in infrastructure. You can’t just wake up and say “I want big NIL deals or I want a big Bag game”. It is more like a business. You have to plan and put people in places to succeed. Oregon went right out and hired the ex-Georgia guy from A&M. Clearly, Lanning is going to go full steam ahead at a place that already has the infrastructure. Has Riley hired anyone like that? Does USC have anything in place or do they have to round up old boosters and try to replicate the prior infrastructure. I am not saying he won’t do it, but it may take longer to get it going than people think 

I agree, but there are hints that SC was going to get the old band back together. Gentry Williams is a 4-5 star DB from Tulsa who was strongly considering SC. One of his big draws to the Trojans was NIL.

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=921]UDontKnow[/mention]
UDontknow: Do you or do you not think Riley will have a hard time recruiting the West Coast because of the presence of Oregon's bag game?
Emphatic, no. SC will out recruit Oregon, and the Trojan's will recruit at the level of Bama/Georgia/A&M. Riley was going to sign at top 5 class to come to Norman-F'in-Oklahoma, including several top 100 defensive players.SC's tradition equals OU's, and SC will pay for players, and SC's in LA. Riley will crush recruiting.
I think it's weird that you (collective) think Lanning's going to recruit that much better than Cristobal, who already had all the advantages that Lanning's going have and also the same negatives. I lived in Oregon for six years (Portland), and looked a job in Eugene. Norman is diverse compared to Eugene. The only Black people in the town are at UO and only 2.4% of the student population is Black. That's a big turn off for someone of color. Eugene is a good 2 hrs from Portland, so basically really far from most population centers. This means that it's too far for some family from the jump.

UDontknow: Also, please refresh us on the nature of Riley's complaints regarding OU compliance. I guess most of us on this board are still puzzled that OU even had a functional compliance department in the first place. The most recent example that supports the aforementioned view is Joe Mixon.
First, OU handled Mixon as a legal matter. The compliance I'm talking about is benefits to players.
When the Bomar situation occurred in 2006, OU was already dealing with a mess created by Kelvin Sampson. A few years later, Jeff Capel created another recruiting scandal.
OU outsourced compliance to a law firm, first, I think, after the combined Sampson/Bomar scandals. The law firm increased scrutiny of the athletics dept after the Capel issues. Good consultants know that you build job security by continuing to find errors in your client's practice.
OU's cheated to the level that UT, Michigan, etc, but not to he Ohio St, SEC, Clemson, Oregon level. OU's lost players to late in recruiting cycles to the aforementioned programs the other program has had little-to-no contact with the player for most of the cycle. I can't remember OU signing a player who was "openly" seeking bids. By no means do I think OU was clean, but I don't think they went as far as other schools or Riley would've liked.
UDontknow: And lastly, why do you think Riley left OU for USC? What was the bottom line there?
Everything I say is conjecture, but here's how I see it. Riley's a 38 yo guy who's never lived in a really desirable place. His current employer had taken a big step (moving to the SEC), without telling him. This employer had ignored some of his small requests (better training table, more analysts) and big requests (bag game, NIL) that would be needed to take this next step. Plus, expectations were really high. People were questioning his offense after consecutive years with freshmen QBs.
SC came and offered him a new place to live and tangible evidence that it would support him with whatever he wanted. He'll be the biggest dog for 1500 miles. He can recruit skill position talent from California and linemen from the islands. For the next 4 years, expections will be relatively low.

You seem like a reasonable guy able to articulate coherent thoughts. My question is really simple - How in the fuck did you attend that meth palace for 4 years and live amongst the trailer park dwellers?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

You seem like a reasonable guy able to articulate coherent thoughts. My question is really simple - How in the fuck did you attend that meth palace for 4 years and live amongst the trailer park dwellers?

They lure you in with a lot of money if you are literate.  I think OU offered me a full ride plus stipend when I was looking at schools, even though I didn't apply.  Clearly sometimes it works.  

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

Funny that you would say that after that post! There was one paragraph that was completely jumbled.

I grew up in Oklahoma, near Norman, but I didn't attend OU. I'm a "t-shirt fan."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

True, but the company you choose to keep speaks volumes.

I frequently feel differently about organizations after I've joined them, sometimes better and sometimes worse. So by the time you really learn about the company you keep, you're already tainted by the association.

• Hook 'Em 1

I frequently feel differently about organizations after I've joined them, sometimes better and sometimes worse. So by the time you really learn about the company you keep, you're already tainted by the association.

Hey man, you do you. Just count me in as someone who has no interest in breaking into prison. I appreciate your contribution to the board - not that I agree 100% of the time, but who says I bat 1,000.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, quigley said:

@UDontKnow

I’d like to think athletes care about diversity but they don’t.  See aggy.  It’s about getting paid and getting to the next level. Oregon will be fine but I have no doubt usc will be as well

15 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I’d like to think athletes care about diversity but they don’t.  See aggy.  It’s about getting paid and getting to the next level. Oregon will be fine but I have no doubt usc will be as well

Eighteen year olds care about fitting in, being able to hang with people with whom they share interests and experiences. They care about "shorties." Cash and the NFL are important, but you'll be able to get that + "shorties" in SoCal.

BTW, I'm not rooting for SC's or Oregon's success. OU's plucked good players out of California for decades, and these programs will probably make that harder. I'll follow Riley's progress closely though because it's an interesting story.

5 hours ago, cafe society said:

I wouldn't put USC boosters among those other schools in ethos or tradition. They're (SC boosters) much more ostentatious and competitive against each other in spending money.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, quigley said:

Eighteen year olds care about fitting in, being able to hang with people with whom they share interests and experiences. They care about "shorties." Cash and the NFL are important, but you'll be able to get that + "shorties" in SoCal.

BTW, I'm not rooting for SC's or Oregon's success. OU's plucked good players out of California for decades, and these programs will probably make that harder. I'll follow Riley's progress closely though because it's an interesting story.

Plenty of hot chicks on any college campus, even aggy

on every fbs campus, football players will get their pick of most women 

but yea USC will be just fine under Riley 

Edited by closetohumping

Random note on an SEC rule that I came across; for football, if you enter the portal before May 1st, you gain the one time immediate eligibility for that upcoming season. However, the SEC now has a rule that you can only transfer within the conference if you enter the portal by February 1st

So, for at least while we're not yet in the SEC, there should be less competition for future SEC transfers that don't enter the portal by Feb 1st 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Random note on an SEC rule that I came across; for football, if you enter the portal before May 1st, you gain the one time immediate eligibility for that upcoming season. However, the SEC now has a rule that you can only transfer within the conference if you enter the portal by February 1st

So, for at least while we're not yet in the SEC, there should be less competition for future SEC transfers that don't enter the portal by Feb 1st 

So say our first year in the SEC is fall of 2023 we are good to get SEC transfers up until that season. So spring of next year could be crucial?

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So say our first year in the SEC is fall of 2023 we are good to get SEC transfers up until that season. So spring of next year could be crucial?

It's unclear since we don't know exactly at what point we'd be officially joining the league, but I'm assuming at the very least as long as they're in the portal by May 1st like it has to be for everyone else we'd be fine, as long as the rule doesn't change. And I'm not sure if it's necessarily likely to be crucial since we don't know which potential transfers this would even affect, but sure it's possible it could be crucial. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not sure I’d get my hopes up about SEC entry until 2025. The continued drumbeat is that OU doesn’t have the money. We’ll see if ESPN can step in or not if they want, but “OU doesn’t have the money” is the consistent message these days. 

Shouldn't all those meth trailers have enough cash stored in their walls?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe BYU joining the Big 12 in 2023 is set in stone, right? 

Cincy, UCF, and U of H would like to join the Big 12 by 2023, but no later than 2024. 

Surely Texas doesn't want to stick around for 2023 and they'd have to be gone by 2024. 

I've assumed we are in for 2022, for sure.  2023 if the AAC teams can join with BYU - if not, we may be stuck until 2024 when they can join (and maybe the Big 12 asks BYU to hold off for a year so we don't have 11 teams in 2023) 

Just now, Js1 said:

I've assumed we are in for 2022, for sure.  2023 if the AAC teams can join with BYU - if not, we may be stuck until 2024 when they can join (and maybe the Big 12 asks BYU to hold off for a year so we don't have 11 teams in 2023) 

I don't think the big 12 would need BYU to hold off. scheduling should be easy for 2023 with such an advanced notice. Isn't the buyout for the AAC schools really cheap as well?

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

However, the SEC now has a rule that you can only transfer within the conference if you enter the portal by February 1st

Sorry, I don't understand. If a player from Missouri enters the portal on Nov 29, he can only go to another SEC school if he wants to be immediately eligible?

For example, Daniel Parker, TE, who recently tweeted he's going to OU. Parker is a class of 2018 player so he may be a grad transfer. He hasn't been acknowledged by OU as a transfer yet. Could this rule be the reason why?

https://247sports.com/Player/Daniel-Parker-94085/

Just now, quigley said:

Sorry, I don't understand. If a player from Missouri enters the portal on Nov 29, he can only go to another SEC school if he wants to be immediately eligible?

For example, Daniel Parker, TE, who recently tweeted he's going to OU. Parker is a class of 2018 player so he may be a grad transfer. He hasn't been acknowledged by OU as a transfer yet. Could this rule be the reason why?

https://247sports.com/Player/Daniel-Parker-94085/

If he wants to be immediately eligible to another SEC school, he has to be in the portal by Feb 1st. If he's transferring anywhere else, he needs to be in by May 1st. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Fud said:

OU might not currently have the money for it, but between the SEC, ESPN, and Texas/OU, I bet it'll get figured out by the 2023 season 

I've figured this is a negotiating ploy to get the exit cost lowered.

This limbo situation doesn't benefit anyone (though it hurts the B12 less).

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe BYU joining the Big 12 in 2023 is set in stone, right? 

Cincy, UCF, and U of H would like to join the Big 12 by 2023, but no later than 2024. 

Surely Texas doesn't want to stick around for 2023 and they'd have to be gone by 2024. 

Feels like bowlsby has us by the balls but this could be our negotiating chip. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Texas and OU voted to admit BYU and the others. Im not sure the timing of their arrival nullifies anything. Smart money says it’s negotiating and posturing, I guess. But I’m not sure why OU would be telling Texas they’re too poor to move ahead of 25 privately unless it’s true. 

Well, they’re not saying that. They’re saying they won’t be able to leave within the next two years. Only in your world does that math work out to 2025. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, they’re not saying that. They’re saying they won’t be able to leave within the next two years. Only in your world does that math work out to 2025. 

Depending on when this conversation happened would the "next two years" mean 2021 and 2022 or 2022 and 2023?

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)