2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

3 hours ago, Thiefery said:

lol UT would just be another in a long line, waiting to get payed back

When Sam Houston and New Mexico joined CUSA they owed the conference a $1 million fee to enter. They avoided this by agreeing to withhold $250k for the first 4 or 5 years. I am sure something could be arranged with the SEC/Texas and ESPN

14 minutes ago, quigley said:

I humored you about UT as a potential portal landing spot for Williams, but my dude -- you think he's going to a 5-7 team? He beat KU by himself this year.

I think UT fans were cheering for him to come in the game. So I guess you fucked around and found out. Srsly, the guys a baller and if UT fans don't know it -- good luck.

Let me help you go from “I think” to real clarity on the bolded above. No UT fan with half a brain were cheering for Rattler to leave the game. We’ve always known he was an overrated turnover machine who folds like a chair when hit in the mouth…and we’d proceeded to watch him turn over the ball and grab his quivering pussy with both hands during our game this year. When he was yanked I yelled Fuck and knew we were in for a battle. No one here except football board posters thought rattler getting yanked was a good thing for UT. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, Fud said:

I actually said that Texas didn't make sense as a potential landing spot

If you're dumb enough to believe fictionalized propagandized bullshit of Caleb being the ultimate supremely confident alpha who was going to compete for the starting job against many football writer's QB1 entering the season, then you just might be a sooner 

"He beat KU by himself". Cool, he also put up only 14 against Baylor

So you said that incumbency would dissuade him from Maryland, USC, Texas, Ohio St--which, grouping Ohio St with those other 3 programs is loony.

The reports about him willing to walk on came preseason and his confidence in starting during the season was also noted by teammates prior to the UT game. There were reports from the OU fall practice that he was better than Rattler. But, you don't have to believe it.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Let me help you go from “I think” to real clarity on the bolded above. No UT fan with half a brain we’re cheering for Rattler to leave the game. We’ve always known he was an overrated turnover machine who folds like a chair when hit in the mouth…and we’d proceeded to watch him turn over the ball and grab his quivering pussy with both hands during the our game this year. When he was yanked I yelled Fuck and knew we were in for a battle. No one here except football posters Jayne thought rattler getting yanked was a good thing for UT. 

I agree, especially in retrospect. Rattler's regression from Fr to So, Riley sticking with him as long as he did really crippled OU's season. That and poor OL conditioning are really in inexplicable looking at things now.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Let me help you go from “I think” to real clarity on the bolded above. No UT fan with half a brain we’re cheering for Rattler to leave the game. We’ve always known he was an overrated turnover machine who folds like a chair when hit in the mouth…and we’d proceeded to watch him turn over the ball and grab his quivering pussy with both hands during the our game this year. When he was yanked I yelled Fuck and knew we were in for a battle. No one here except football posters Jayne thought rattler getting yanked was a good thing for UT. 

The section I was sitting in literally started chanting "We want Rattler" when Williams started the second half. I had no idea Williams would lead them back like he did, but it was obvious Rattler wasn't going to do anything but continue to shit his pants the rest of the day.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Ah the old “wants to be close to home” and proceeds to set up visits all over the country

Can't really blame him - he, and Cowing, and the Albany DE were basically recruited by no one other than the school they committed to.  Now they have every program in the country coming after them.  Might as well take that visit money and enjoy being wined and dined.

5 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

You probably want to watch some Wyoming tape that just generally consists of him constantly beating FBS secondaries deep.

Or of any of the other fast, successful 6'3 210-types who should not all be lumped in with Herman because it's the laziest take we could find.

• Hook 'Em 2

Shame to see this happening to Todd Graham. Weird. He has such a reputation as a players coach and all around nice guy. I remember when he was rumored as a candidate to Texas because of his Steve Patterson and Texas coaching ties.  A number of posters were excited at the prospect because, well, some posters can talk themselves into anything. 

In related news some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, quigley said:

The big difference is Kelly WANTED his staff to come with him--Freeman definitely, and I think Rees and others, have said so much. Plus look at who Kelly's getting: NFL DC (who has SEC coaching experience) and Kerry Cooks, who was a negative recruiter and developer at OU then went to Texas Tech then could only get an analyst job back at ND. I don't think they have offensive coaches yet.

Uh, Williams definitely came to OU to start as frosh. He also told Riley that he'd walk on and earn a scholarship at OU when OU'd already taken a commitment from another 2021 QB (Brock Vadergriff, who ended up at Georgia). The guy isn't afraid of competition.

Going from Corey Raymond coaching your secondary to Kerry Cooks is a hell of a downgrade. Hate to see it happen to a nice guy like Brian Kelly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Shame to see this happening to Todd Graham. Weird. He has such a reputation as a players coach and all around nice guy. I remember when he was rumored as a candidate to Texas because of his Steve Patterson and Texas coaching ties.  A number of posters were excited at the prospect because, well, some posters can talk themselves into anything. 

image.gif.5cb94803a5f8bfb36afb261f946db32c.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wow I had no idea he was still coaching or at Hawaii. I was wondering why the fuck kids would be trying to leave Hawaii. Now it all makes sense. 

2 hours ago, utexas8 said:

Why wouldnt Williams just got to USC? Did Riley really make Williams and Rattler that mad over the QB situation or is jaxson dart that good?

USC's coach is the one who told them that he'd be in Norman. The Williams family was moving from DC to OK. That coach screwed up the family's plans. Why would they rejoin him?

Spencer Rattler was benched by this coach, and then the coach bolted. Why would Rattler rejoin a coach that had shown that he didn't have faith in him?

Plus the USC OL is traaassh. The team will sort of suck for a couple of years until the OL and DL get sorted out.

22 minutes ago, quigley said:

USC's coach is the one who told them that he'd be in Norman. The Williams family was moving from DC to OK. That coach screwed up the family's plans. Why would they rejoin him?

Spencer Rattler was benched by this coach, and then the coach bolted. Why would Rattler rejoin a coach that had shown that he didn't have faith in him?

Plus the USC OL is traaassh. The team will sort of suck for a couple of years until the OL and DL get sorted out.

You're an idiot.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, utexas8 said:

Why wouldnt Williams just got to USC? Did Riley really make Williams and Rattler that mad over the QB situation or is jaxson dart that good?

I think it’s fairly likely Riley dgaf if Williams comes or not and didn’t pursue. Williams looked good in some games and looked like hammered dog shit in others playing defenses that were way overmatched. It’s probably not worth risking the Cali kid he’s got committed and the kids he will bring with him for the small (maybe?) upgrade Williams would be over Dart.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, quigley said:

Where does he go?

ND is the most obvious spot. Catholic high school, big name program. Playing for Freeman has got to be enticing.

Wisconsin is another spot. Other ideas?

9 hours ago, Fud said:

LSU and Ole Miss make sense 

9 hours ago, RGBIII said:

If I had a Cristobal I could tell you but I am no genie

If Caleb leaves blOU, it's gonna be an incredible story to follow.  He needs a team with a decent OL returning and enough quality WRs to really make him look good.

From watching the bowl games so far, Auburn definitely needs a new QB.  So does CORN.  Does Gata have enough coming back to be an option ??

Fully expect Caleb to stick at OU. Lebby is an enticing OC to play under and they have plenty of weapons comparative to anyone he might join. I've heard a lot of the same Miami talk but it sounds more like his family just getting leverage to increase the NIL offers to stay. If they had a rough bowl game against a decimated Oregon team maybe he might have actually walked but they look like they will cruise and win by forty at this rate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

An idiot is a stupid person. 

Thank you for the biting comment doctor.

I was hoping that @Gil Bang would educate me. But so far, all I've learned is that stupid is a synonym for idiot.

Admittedly, I watched only part of two USC games all year, Stanford (I think) and ND. Maybe Gil can explain why SC's lines are good, because they didn't look great vs those teams and the numbers aren't great and they had 3 Sr OL. What am I missing?

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If Caleb leaves blOU, it's gonna be an incredible story to follow.  He needs a team with a decent OL returning and enough quality WRs to really make him look good.

From watching the bowl games so far, Auburn definitely needs a new QB.  So does CORN.  Does Gata have enough coming back to be an option ??

First, based on what people in Norman are saying, I'll be surprised if Williams comes back. OU should be tampering the hell out of Dillon Gabriel.

I've asked you all for other serious ideas as to where he'll go, and the options you've presented illustrate the point that staying at OU makes a lot of sense for Williams. There are about 120 schools he could transfer to and start immediately. But only about 2-3 that make sense for him. This is because the other teams are significantly worse that OU or have unstable coaching situations. If he goes to somewhere other than ND, Wisconsin, or I guess Ole Miss (is Kiffin stable anywhere, ever?), it will be a big departure for a family that, heretofore, has made logical, calculated decisions.

If there ever was a plug and play new head coach and staff, this is just about as close as it gets. The offensive coaches (though I don't like all of the hires) are all from OU or OU alums. Venables history at OU is known, and the new coaches on defense it appears will all have ties to OU. Even if Venables is terrible, OU isn't going to fire him soon.

No doubt that OU underachieved this year, but they still finished 11-2 and will have about 7 starters returning on both sides of the ball at present. If Williams comes back, that number could go up to 9 on offense (only losses Hayes-OG, Hall-FB). Based on several factors, Williams returning next year will mean OU's offense next year will be significantly better:
- Simpler scheme
- OL that keeps 4/5 starters and won't be ridiculously fat
- Williams own year 1 to year 2 improvement
- Better RB (Brooks, surprisingly, may stay; but they'll get 1-2 top 10 RB coming in for the 2022 class regardless; they worked on RB pass game a little for the bowl game so maybe they'll work on blitz pick up for next yr?)
- WR only loses Hazelwood, who wasn't good at OU. Simmons didn't develop the room. Gundy will get a chance to see if he can coach them up.

There is scuttlebutt that there is about to be some massive portaling from OU. Just looking at the depth chart, I'd imaging there will be some high upside DBs in the portal. Some above average LB could also look to move. OU is left with bread on the DL, and could lose 1-2 there too. On offense, they could push out a couple of non-factor OL out from an already depleted OL room. The biggest losses would be from the WR group. Woods has said he's coming back, but Mims has been non-committal, and Mario Williams could leave too. OU would be need a big name portal QB to be considered a good spot for portal WR.

24 minutes ago, quigley said:

If there ever was a plug and play new head coach and staff, this is just about as close as it gets. The offensive coaches (though I don't like all of the hires) are all from OU or OU alums. Venables history at OU is known, and the new coaches on defense it appears will all have ties to OU. Even if Venables is terrible, OU isn't going to fire him soon.

Who the fuck cares where the coaches are from?  So they know where the mess hall is on Day 1 - big damn deal.  This continues to read like fan-fic.  Lincoln Riley was an outsider who was holding back OU's greatness - they needed to get back to the OU way and hire the DC who was fired by the former DC they hired as coach who was now acting as interim Head Coach.  Because he has OUDNA - even though he played for Kansas St.

This is almost as ridiculous as typing out that 'Caleb Williams was willing to walk-on at OU'.  I mean - did you actually believe that?

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Haha 7

First, based on what people in Norman are saying, I'll be surprised if Williams comes back. OU should be tampering the hell out of Dillon Gabriel.
I've asked you all for other serious ideas as to where he'll go, and the options you've presented illustrate the point that staying at OU makes a lot of sense for Williams. There are about 120 schools he could transfer to and start immediately. But only about 2-3 that make sense for him. This is because the other teams are significantly worse that OU or have unstable coaching situations. If he goes to somewhere other than ND, Wisconsin, or I guess Ole Miss (is Kiffin stable anywhere, ever?), it will be a big departure for a family that, heretofore, has made logical, calculated decisions.
No doubt that OU underachieved this year, but they still finished 11-2 and will have about 7 starters returning on both sides of the ball at present. If Williams comes back, that number could go up to 9 on offense (only losses Hayes-OG, Hall-FB). Based on several factors, Williams returning next year will mean OU's offense next year will be significantly better:
- Simpler scheme
- OL that keeps 4/5 starters and won't be ridiculously fat
- Williams own year 1 to year 2 improvement
- Better RB (Brooks, surprisingly, may stay; but they'll get 1-2 top 10 RB coming in for the 2022 class regardless; they worked on RB pass game a little for the bowl game so maybe they'll work on blitz pick up for next yr?)
- WR only loses Hazelwood, who wasn't good at OU. Simmons didn't develop the room. Gundy will get a chance to see if he can coach them up.
There is scuttlebutt that there is about to be some massive portaling from OU. Just looking at the depth chart, I'd imaging there will be some high upside DBs in the portal. Some above average LB could also look to move. OU is left with bread on the DL, and could lose 1-2 there too. On offense, they could push out a couple of non-factor OL out from an already depleted OL room. The biggest losses would be from the WR group. Woods has said he's coming back, but Mims has been non-committal, and Mario Williams could leave too. OU would be need a big name portal QB to be considered a good spot for portal WR.

OU’s offense is not going to be better without Lincoln Riley. No chance.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)