2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

1 minute ago, burdine said:

I think our exit will most likely be timed to coincide with the new teams coming into the Big 12, so that means 2023 or 2024 at the latest.

That makes sense for all parties.

Think how excited every AD would be to split the current 10 team pie, 14 ways. That's quite a bit of rape enabling that Baylor would have to cut back on.

6 minutes ago, burdine said:

At least they still have a pie and a relatively decent one at that.

Getting anchored on the past is one way to ruin.

I'm glad the other Big 12 members have a solid home.

Should be a solid football conference with excellent basketball and baseball.

When is the next time bowl game tie-ins is due to be renewed? I see the big 12 losing their automatic sugar bowl entry 

Edited by utfan87

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Texas and OU voted to admit BYU and the others. Im not sure the timing of their arrival nullifies anything. Smart money says it’s negotiating and posturing, I guess. But I’m not sure why OU would be telling Texas they’re too poor to move ahead of 25 privately unless it’s true. 

"In a statement, the Big 12 said the four schools were "approved unanimously by the eight continuing members.""

I don't know if it change the timing of OU and UT's departure, but the folks in Norman and Austin weren't asked about the new members.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32182361/big-12-votes-accept-adding-byu-cincinnati-houston-ucf-conference

So maybe 11 members for at least a year?  Since the ccg is a fixture, they either means 10 conference games plus the championship rematch or the old big10 method plus a ccg.  Neither setup sounds appealing to me, but I’m not bowlesby. 
14 at least fits into divisions and is the current state for a couple of conferences already. 

hopefully neither situation is palatable and the skids get greased for movement to happen. 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Random note on an SEC rule that I came across; for football, if you enter the portal before May 1st, you gain the one time immediate eligibility for that upcoming season. However, the SEC now has a rule that you can only transfer within the conference if you enter the portal by February 1st

So, for at least while we're not yet in the SEC, there should be less competition for future SEC transfers that don't enter the portal by Feb 1st 

serious question but how can that be legal within the rules of the transfer portal and the 1 time free transfer?

I think I read that ESPN's new contract with the SEC starts in 2024 and that would be the likely date for getting us over there because they want Texas and OU for the new term, but ESPN isn't particularly incentivized to make things happen before then. 

Drumm on Caleb Williams

"Not saying Cw is leaving. Talked with dad and mom last night for a long time. Nothing has been decided. Not hearing to Norman now, though, afterward. Back to DC and then vacation to decide on portal or not. Outside if that, still a waiting game and focus squarely on Alamo Bowl and being with teammates right now."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

serious question but how can that be legal within the rules of the transfer portal and the 1 time free transfer?

Even back in the day, conferences had their own rules set up for transfers within the conference (sitting out an extra year if you transferred from one conf school to another).  I figured new conference rules would pop up after the portal free-for-all this summer.  I can't imagine a lot of programs were very thrilled to have players go all the way through spring ball and then ditch out and go to a conference opponent and get to play immediately. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dummy said:

I think I read that ESPN's new contract with the SEC starts in 2024 and that would be the likely date for getting us over there because they want Texas and OU for the new term, but ESPN isn't particularly incentivized to make things happen before then. 

Yeah, final year for SEC on CBS is 2023 season

"SEC Leaving CBS for ABC: Inside the 10-Year Deal Starting in 2024"

https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/10/sec-espn-abc-tv-contract-leaving-cbs

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is how an imbecile tells his subscriber base that their star QB is sprinting towards the exit. Tough break for OU. I really feel for them.

I'd take a shit on a Sooner's chest at midfield of the Cotton Bowl. Even though they're into that sort of thing.

51 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, final year for SEC on CBS is 2023 season

"SEC Leaving CBS for ABC: Inside the 10-Year Deal Starting in 2024"

https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/10/sec-espn-abc-tv-contract-leaving-cbs

SBJ is predicting that the Big Ten is going to sign with CBS/Fox and so CBS is going to let the SEC out of their deal a year early, which would mean ESPN would start carrying the premium SEC games in 2023.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2021/12/13/Insiders/Sports-media.aspx

image.png.9e1101782ade8c27288f966dc8142fc8.png

Edited by Texas Wahoo
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

SBJ is predicting that the Big Ten is going to sign with CBS/Fox and so CBS is going to let the SEC out of their deal a year early, which would mean ESPN would start carrying the premium SEC games in 2023.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2021/12/13/Insiders/Sports-media.aspx

Yeah Steven Godfrey said the same. Seems like the consensus in the industry is that this is the final year in the big 12.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Drumm on Caleb Williams

"Not saying Cw is leaving. Talked with dad and mom last night for a long time. Nothing has been decided. Not hearing to Norman now, though, afterward. Back to DC and then vacation to decide on portal or not. Outside if that, still a waiting game and focus squarely on Alamo Bowl and being with teammates right now."

Where does he go?

ND is the most obvious spot. Catholic high school, big name program. Playing for Freeman has got to be enticing.

Wisconsin is another spot. Other ideas?

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Drumm on Caleb Williams

Miami Usa GIF by PermissionIO

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

The lack of mention to any conference besides the SEC and Big 10 is great. 

Had no clue NBCSN was going away. Consolidating into basic cable channels to get eyeballs? Warner Media is fucking lost on sports.

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

LSU and Ole Miss make sense 

If he goes to either of those places, I'd say he just wants out of Norman, which could be the case.

Who knows what LSU's offense will be next year. Do they have an OC yet?

Ole Miss, ugh, to play for Kiffen? You'd have a similar, possibly, better offense in Norman. Norman's not Paris, but Oxford doesn't seem like a likely landing spot for this for this upwardly mobile Black family.

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

If he goes to either of those places, I'd say he just wants out of Norman, which could be the case.

Who knows what LSU's offense will be next year. Do they have an OC yet?

Ole Miss, ugh, to play for Kiffen? You'd have a similar, possibly, better offense in Norman. Norman's not Paris, but Oxford doesn't seem like a likely landing spot for this for this upwardly mobile Black family.

Kiffin is on the short-list for being arguably the best offensive mind in the sport at this level

LSU, even if they're struggling right now, is always at the very least a dark-horse contender if they get a QB

There's not really an obvious choice right now. Maryland, Ohio State, USC, Texas, etc would all make sense if they didn't have entrenched starters or heirs apparent already at the position 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)