GETTR Done: The Latest "Conservative" Social Media Platform

atomheartbevo

I think it's hilarious that Miller played it off as "well we must be doing something right if they are attacking us!"

No Jason, it means you either slapped together something that was poorly constructed, or you missed some default settings somewhere, or more likely you are not doing a good job of securing accounts.

Either way, it's not a good look for a social media site hoping to attract some Big Money.

8 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

That's a fantastic fucking article.

Yeah it's like these morons had no idea what goes on behind the scenes.  "Oh it's so easy, no moderation at all!"  Anyone who's been paying attention around these places knows the trials and travails of immamac, blacklab, heck, even Katy.

It’s pretty pathetic. Also pretty unsurprising that it instantly turned into 4chan. 

We want free speech but only OUR free speech. Give us our Twitter-like safe space! Waaaaaah this is hard !! 

• 4 weeks later...

The social network — started a month ago by members of former President Donald Trump’s inner circle — features reams of jihadi-related material, including graphic videos of beheadings, viral memes that promote violence against the West and even memes of a militant executing Trump in an orange jumpsuit similar to those used in Guantanamo Bay.

The rapid proliferation of such material is placing GETTR in the awkward position of providing a safe haven for jihadi extremists online as it attempts to establish itself as a free speech MAGA-alternative to sites like Facebook and Twitter.

While GETTR does not provide access to its data to track the spread, or virality, of such extremist material on its platform, POLITICO found at least 250 accounts that had posted regularly on the platform since early July. Many followed each other, and used hashtags to promote the jihadi material to this burgeoning online community.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

• Haha 1

I mean, a Trump-inspired social media platform named after the catchphrase of a fictional standup comedian beloved by MAGA nation gets taken over by legitimate Islamic State accounts, not hackers, to espouse Jihadi propaganda because the developers and users are that fucking stupid?  

It's not the whole "truth is stranger than fiction", it's more "all fiction is now truth and I don't want to play this game anymore."  

• 3 months later...

I work for a Fortune 100 technology company that sells data center hardware and software. I sell into the global service provider space, so my customers are cloud providers, outsourcers, etc. My largest customer is a very large outsourcer that is very close to our company. We are always tightly aligned on what they are working on in terms of customer pursuits, RFPs, etc. We even have dedicated resources that will do a lot of the due diligence for us on conflicts of interest, etc. In short, we don't often get a "surprise" RFP request from them. It's usually something we know about weeks or months in advance. Last Monday, we got a surprise request from them (from outside normal channels) for a very large private cloud infrastructure stack. We pulled together a war room to try to get it all turned around before the Thanksgiving break, but there were a ton of unknowns from their end user. It was almost like the person they were working with on the customer side (that they wouldn't share...also unusual for them) didn't even know what they were asking for. So our partner finally told us "Guys, pretend you are standing up a brand new environment from scratch. No legacy applications, no migrations, nothing. Purely brand new" We were like "Well that never fucking happens, so we will do our best."  Yesterday, I was talking to my usual contact and asked him WTF that was all about, and he says "Oh yea, our executive management told them to piss off". I was like "WTF? We all busted our ass pulling that together and it was a big deal". Turns out, one of their sales guys was trying to sell  private cloud services to Gettr. Their executive team found out about it and said absofuckinglutely not, and told them thanks but no thanks. 

TL;DR- Gettr is still trying to find a place to host their shitty app, and no one with other options will touch them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

• 2 months later...

Drudge Report must not like Steve Bannon, as they had this little gem of a story.

https://www.newsweek.com/billionaire-steve-bannon-gettr-backer-guo-wengui-files-bankruptcy-1679824

Guo Wengui, the eccentric billionaire backer of Steve Bannon and social media site Gettr, has filed for bankruptcy just days after he was hit with a sizable fine for unpaid debts.

A court in New York gave Guo—a fugitive of the Chinese government and vocal critic of its ruling party—five days to pay a $134 million fine, after being found in contempt of court on February 10.

In a Gettr post on Tuesday, he announced his personal bankruptcy and signed the documents on camera.

The self-styled Chinese dissident, also known as Miles Kwok or Kwok Ho Wan, said he "signed the personal bankruptcy application form for the first time in my life."

"From this moment on, I'm personally bankrupt due to the persecution of the Chinese Communist Party," he said, without elaborating.

His troubles stem from $30 million he borrowed from Hong Kong-based Pacific Alliance Asia Opportunity Fund in 2008. Having used to loan to finance one of his businesses, the money was never repaid, the hedge fund said, resulting in a 2017 lawsuit to reclaim the sum, which had grown with interest to more than $100 million.

Guo's creditors eyed his $28 million superyacht, the Lady May, which a court ordered to remain in the U.S., but he moved the boat outside of American jurisdiction in October 2020 in order to shield it from debt collection, according to New York state court Justice Barry Ostrager, who found Guo to be in contempt of court.

The Chinese exile was fined $500,000 for every day the yacht remained outside of U.S. waters.

Guo, meanwhile, told the court he doesn't own the Lady May, on which former White House adviser Bannon was arrested for unrelated fraud charges in 2020.

The two men have had a commercial relationship since Bannon stopped working for former President Donald Trump in 2017, with Guo financing media projects and hiring the China critic as a consultant.

A foundation owned by Guo is also behind the operations of Gettr.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Drudge Report must not like Steve Bannon, as they had this little gem of a story.

https://www.newsweek.com/billionaire-steve-bannon-gettr-backer-guo-wengui-files-bankruptcy-1679824

In a Gettr post on Tuesday, he announced his personal bankruptcy and signed the documents on camera.

Lol, Gettr still exists?

2 hours ago, Bookman said:

He violated a court order and moved a $28 million yacht out of U.S. jurisdiction, and now he's asking for relief from a U.S. bankruptcy court.

You'd think that would give him a couple of days of protection before the government gets the stay lifted.  I guess he's going to try to argue that rather than being sums owed the government, which tend to be non-dischargeable, it's more in the nature of private litigation/collection subject to the stay.

Just the best people.  And they're so successful at blaming their personal failures and problems on "left-wing conspiracies."

Edited by TwiceHorn