Things going on in Cuba...

Rip76

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm following these folks:

Those folks seem to be trying to post legit stuff.

Also: 

You're keeping surly up to date   Keep up the good work.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Not that anyone will watch the video to hear what she says but it continues to be said by Cubans…also boobs. 

Is "Doe's eyes" a filter on Snaponeoffchat? Not kinkshaming. 

• These Cuban protests are not getting media traction. The world news indicates these are sporadic outbreaks of demonstrations. Humanitarian/Covid relief offered has been offered to the nation.
  • The lawlessness in Florida (based on a new law in Florida) is becoming news.
  • And a reminder: under the laws of war, foreign combatants may be summarily executed. FAFO, I suppose.
  • Interesting example news media silos in the United States. (AI)

Fuck the Caudillo Castro commies. The people need food and supplies - and vaccinations. A lot of misery for fellow humans. It's a good place for NGO's to prove their worth - to humanity. Good time to get involved with one. Like every nation, the people need shots in arms.

No politics intended. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

These Cuban protests are not getting media traction. The world news indicates these are sporadic outbreaks of demonstrations.

The problem is most of the media organizations don't have anybody on the ground (and they aren't going to get anybody on the ground), and clearance and context/providence, although clearance is less of an issue - I doubt any Cubans would mind if their stuff was running on BBC or whatever.

I think the bigger issue with existing videos, plenty of which are pretty damned compelling, is probably a context/providence thing.  Most are pretty gun-shy these days about running such videos without knowing exactly when and where they were taken.  

But some of them are also so short, there's not much actually happening, or it's hard to provide a context to viewers.

And.....people aren't being gunned down left and right.  But I think if we get a solid video of people being gunned down or something of that nature, it'll gain traction.

Actually I blame the people filming in portrait instead of landscape.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The problem is most of the media organizations don't have anybody on the ground (and they aren't going to get anybody on the ground), and clearance and context/providence, although clearance is less of an issue - I doubt any Cubans would mind if their stuff was running on BBC or whatever.

I think the bigger issue with existing videos, plenty of which are pretty damned compelling, is probably a context/providence thing.  Most are pretty gun-shy these days about running such videos without knowing exactly when and where they were taken.  

But some of them are also so short, there's not much actually happening, or it's hard to provide a context to viewers.

And.....people aren't being gunned down left and right.  But I think if we get a solid video of people being gunned down or something of that nature, it'll gain traction.

CNN still has the one reporter Patrick Oppmann who has been living in Havana for the past 9 years. He had tweeted about 9 hours ago that twitter was still working (at least for him). He's got some decent stuff. Something to add to your twitter-ers that you are following already. He's been following the government program on tv right now...still no mention of unrest...

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

no doubt.

It's a Miami story in the "news" - which is good (they have competent journalists who know the issues). It's interesting the Cuban Government kept Twitter open. I don't get that. 

I appreciate your efforts - as someone who wants news in a news thread. 

5 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

no doubt.

It's a Miami story in the "news" - which is good (they have competent journalists who know the issues). It's interesting the Cuban Government kept Twitter open. I don't get that. 

I appreciate your efforts - as someone who wants news in a news thread. 

Jack Dorsey said it was a human right, so obviously you can't bring their network down. I actually can't find anything on the reason why that is.

"This is not a confrontation against a foreign army ... these are the Cuban government police forces shooting unarmed civilians with long weapons ... but of course, now

@DiazCanelB

It says that the wounded were put by them ... don't fuck with me"

Could be wrong, but sounds like tear gas/etc.

They are threatening summary trials of the detained protesters ... there are young people missing now, there are desperate mothers as the regime prepares its courts for an exemplary sentence against them.

That's not going to work out very well for the Cuban leadership - many of these people already feel like they have nothing to lose - if they think their relatives/friends are going to be disappeared/executed, they'll ramp shit up.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

CNN still has the one reporter Patrick Oppmann who has been living in Havana for the past 9 years. He had tweeted about 9 hours ago that twitter was still working (at least for him).

Sounds like twitter and YouTube are able to work on that peer-to-peer network they have going in the various cities, and/or works well enough to get to an outside access point.

Just need a brown guy with a backpack and a wireless access point.

I really think there is something to what a commentator said about keeping most of the police/soldiers disarmed, or lacking body armor and larger firearms, because the government is fearful they could be turned against them. 

If this were North Korea or the Soviet Union or China, they'd be mowing folks down. They wouldn't be sending out civilian militias with fucking sticks. 

https://www.14ymedio.com/cuba/Depongan-armas-sobrino-general-Lopez-Calleja-Cuba_0_3130486931.html?platform=hootsuite

Carlos Alejandro Rodríguez Halley, nephew of General Luis Alberto Rodríguez López-Calleja, sent a strong message on Wednesday to his uncle and the leadership of power on the island: "Lay down your arms." The young man requested that a "process of transition to democracy" be initiated after the protests that took place throughout the island in recent days.

López-Calleja, Raúl Castro's former son-in-law, although he has maintained a low profile within the regime's policy, is a member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party, executive president of the Business Administration Group, S. A. (Gaesa) and is considered by analysts as the man behind the economic power of the Castro family.

"Right now I'm not in Cuba, I left for fear of reprisals from my own family for projecting myself on my social networks in favor of human rights and the dialogue between intellectuals and artists with the Government," Rodríguez Halley said.

The young man said that his family is part of the leadership of power on the island and mentioned that his words were addressed to her, to the Cuban military, and with special emphasis he mentioned his uncle López-Calleja and his cousin Raúl Guillermo Rodríguez Castro, grandson of Raúl Castro.

The people demonstrated in the streets "that they do not agree with their government, a failed government that has led to a situation of health, economic, social and political crisis"

"I call for harmony and laying down their arms. That a process of transition to democracy begins in Cuba. The people showed that they don't want you in power anymore, listen to their people," he added.

Rodríguez Halley called for an end to violence, imprisonment and repression, "not to be responsible for more bloodshed." The people showed in the streets, he said, "that they do not agree with their government, a failed government that has led to a situation of health, economic, social and political crisis."

López-Calleja's nephew also rejected the position of the island regime to blame the United States Government for what happens in the country. The U.S. Administration "has shown that it will not intervene militarily in Cuba," he said.

"Enough repression, lay down your weapons. I make an appeal from the love I have for my family, my country, all Cubans and humanity. Let's not forget that 'homeland is humanity,'" he concluded.

At the Eighth Party Congress held last April, López-Calleja was appointed a member of the Political Bureau. The military consortium Gaesa controls much of the tourism business and other strategic sectors on the Island. Analysts had been anticipating the promotion of the military to positions closer to the top of Cuban power for years.

Rodríguez Halley is an actor and audiovisual creator, has worked on films such as Caballos, by Fabian Suárez and in 2019 he wrote and independently directed the short film Un chino fell into a well, awarded with a Diploma of Merit by the jury of the Panama Human Rights Film Festival (BannabáFest).

• Hook 'Em 4

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Cuban government admits one death in the protests that began on Sunday. Diubis Laurencio Tejedade, 36, participated in a demonstration in the Havana neighborhood of La Güinera

https://noticuba.tech/cuba/Gobierno-muerto-protestas-iniciadas-domingo_0_3129886990.html

That 1951 Chevy was brand new when I last saw it in Cuba.

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Bussing in from other parts of Cuba.  That implies the local government(s) are unable to control things.

Old commie trick, used for generations by the dictators. Most of them are government bureaucrat employees ordered to do it....or else. Just like the Norks.

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I really think there is something to what a commentator said about keeping most of the police/soldiers disarmed, or lacking body armor and larger firearms, because the government is fearful they could be turned against them. 

If this were North Korea or the Soviet Union or China, they'd be mowing folks down. They wouldn't be sending out civilian militias with fucking sticks. 

Where is the Hollywood crowd now?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

It’s odd that the MSM & other foreign news sources have almost no reporters on the ground in Cuba helping show the world the unfolding events like they did in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Hong Kong, Nicaragua, Cambodia, Syria, etc. when hot warfare was going on. 
Not to mention Jane Fonda in North Vietnam.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

It’s odd that the MSM & other foreign news sources have almost no reporters on the ground in Cuba helping show the world the unfolding events like they did in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Hong Kong, Nicaragua, Cambodia, Syria, etc. when hot warfare was going on. 

NO American troops to hide behind.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rot in hell Jane!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Uh, is is really that odd? Think about the circumstances for a second
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

NO American troops to hide behind.

This is probably a big reason. Cuba doesn't let reporters embed there and without an opposing military to provide shelter the media isn't easily able to get in and transmit the news.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Uh, is is really that odd? Think about the circumstances for a second

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

This is probably a big reason. Cuba doesn't let reporters embed there and without an opposing military to provide shelter the media isn't easily able to get in and transmit the news.

Hunter S. Thompson laughed.