Things going on in Cuba...

Rip76

Speaking of July 26th, a bunch are talking about it being a major protest, a "fuck you" to the government and Raul.  The date has something important to do with Fidel and the name of his early party.

Looks like they cut off a lot of outside internet, but it sounds like the government rally didn't do jack shit and there are still protests happening.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Speaking of July 26th, a bunch are talking about it being a major protest, a "fuck you" to the government and Raul.  The date has something important to do with Fidel and the name of his early party.

Looks like they cut off a lot of outside internet, but it sounds like the government rally didn't do jack shit and there are still protests happening.  

Yep! And Fuck Ya! Keep fighting Cubans! Damn I wish I could do something. 

I see what they are doing to get back online. Not sure if I should post it as it’s specific instructions for the Cuban people to get back online. 

ill defer to my fellow posters on this one. It’s brilliant btw…is it appropriate to share? 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Libertad! 

Translation: The mercenaries who defend and work for the dictatorship of the elite just because they are paid, cannot stop the People.

Only commenting because I'm a fancy francophile to say:

Vive le Cuba ! Vive l'Amérique ! Vive la France ! Nous sommes tous avec le peuple cubanien !

🇨🇺🇺🇸🇨🇵

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ahhh fuck it. That tweet will probably get taken down anyway. If it’s not appropriate I guess just delete it. I got the whole translation of it…to help Cubans get back online.

Translation:

For all of Cuba: Install VPN Psiphon Disable mobile data.
Put phone in airplane mode for 16 seconds Remove airplane mode Enter VPN Psiphon app Put in the user: united states Password: canada This way they will be connected to the Internet Homeland and Life! #SOSCuba

Just now, SquishMitten said:

I’m pretty sure if it’s on Twitter, you posting it here isn’t going to be what tips the Cuban government off

I don't even know if they have the resources to be monitoring stuff in anything resembling real time anyways - this has gotten so big.  They were used to monitoring a few hundred folks who were always agitating for change.  Now it's blown wide open.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I’m pretty sure if it’s on Twitter, you posting it here isn’t going to be what tips the Cuban government off

Ya. I just figured if anyone has Cuban friends they could share it in case those instructions do work. 

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This guy was apparently busted in the middle of the government's little shindig this morning.  Sounds like there were others, but they were going after anybody filming.

The human spirit…heartbreaking and badass…

Translation: I don't know who you are, I don't know your name, we may never know but from today's images of "reaffirmation of misery" I'll take this one! A David who faced Goliath!

6 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

The human spirit…heartbreaking and badass…

Translation: I don't know who you are, I don't know your name, we may never know but from today's images of "reaffirmation of misery" I'll take this one! A David who faced Goliath!

Holy shit, it's even more badass when you hear/see what he was dealing with - he was in the middle of the crowd and yelled "Libertad", knowing he was going to get his ass beat.

Translation: This is the anonymous brave man who shouted "Libertad" right in the middle of the theater they did this morning on the Malecón ... appreciate how peaceful these "revolutionaries" are. Applause for this brave ..

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Holy shit, it's even more badass when you hear/see what he was dealing with - he was in the middle of the crowd and yelled "Libertad", knowing he was going to get his ass beat.

Translation: This is the anonymous brave man who shouted "Libertad" right in the middle of the theater they did this morning on the Malecón ... appreciate how peaceful these "revolutionaries" are. Applause for this brave ..

Yep. I believe his name is Frank Ernesto Sanchez. From the twitters. Lots of videos I am seeing that are new but like u reluctant to post (too violent) or can’t confirm if they are from this evening. But there are definitely some new ones that I haven’t seen before this evening. I did see one where they turned over two policia cars and yanked the police out and stood on top of the cars. Also saw references to the 26th of July and possibly staging something before that on the very spot the pro-govt bs rally was held. 

Great stuff IMO…

“I came to the United States about a decade ago from Cuba, where I was a pro-democracy student activist. The work I did there was mild by American standards; with a few of my friends, I organized small gatherings and collected signatures to submit to the government. But my efforts attracted the notice of the secret police, and I eventually moved to Florida as a political  refugee.

So it has filled me with hope to see the demonstrations in Cuba the past few days, which would have been unthinkable while I was an organizer there. That hundreds of people are publicly demanding reforms shows how the regime has weakened and the people sense a historic opportunity for change. You can hear it in their rallying cries: “Se acabó! Abajo el comunismo!” It is over, down with communism.

Much has been made about recent food shortages on the island and the lack of access to coronavirus vaccines. Certainly, that is fueling some of the current anger. But focusing on those factors ignores the longer arc of change in Cuba. Disillusionment has grown about the communist ideology, not only among Cubans of my generation, but also older Cubans who believed in the revolution 60 years ago.

The older generation sacrificed freedoms to achieve a communist utopia, but their efforts ended in misery. For instance, Cubans were promised a world-class health care system, but the result six decades later is dirty hospitals, a lack of medicine and a lack of doctors as Cuban doctors are sent abroad for the state’s profit and propaganda. Other big propaganda programs have also devolved into disaster, such as late dictator Fidel Castro’s touted literacy program….”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/07/16/cubas-protests-mean-regime-is-weakening-they-fill-me-with-hope/%3foutputType=amp

The piece goes on to explain that access to the internet has been instrumental here. In 1994 (small uprising in Cuba) the people only learned about it after it was over. There is hope because many will either have seen or participated in the protests. You can’t “unring” that bell. And yes, a group of Surlies could take out their fucking military. I hope that they continue to fight. I wish them the best. And all my prayers. 🇨🇺💙

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

The cartels could be major players if not already. Especially since the international community has taken a "wait and see" approach so far.

They could turn that island into the largest distribution hub in the world.

/DoIt.gif

50 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nice little map overlay/setup - you can select certain days to see where protests were.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1AQAArlWutvq3eqA2nK_WObSujttknlxZ&ll=21.66153107712415%2C-80.20082207193147&z=6

The whole July 26 thing seems like kind of a big deal/holiday to them.

I hope they are able to accomplish what they want to accomplish. Picking a date ahead of time was smart anyway because they knew it was a matter of time before they would not have the ability to communicate as well once the government really started cracking down. July 26, 1953. It was a fight on both rural and urban fronts and a direct attack on the army barracks on Santiago de Cuba in an attempt to start the overthrowing of the dictator Fulgencio Batista. Obviously that led to Fidel being in power. 

I guess if any of the other posters are following tweets or hashtags I’d focus on Revolucion and Santiago de Cuba. A few others but there are outside forces working to help them get on the internet. 💙🤞🇨🇺

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

There are protests popping up all over the globe right now. Nice to see the solidarity. Interesting that we are coming up on the Olympics…

Two ways of looking at it - kick them out of the Olympics unless they start freeing their political prisoners.  That punishes the athletes though, and the Cuban government has much bigger fish to worry about.

Let them have the Olympcs and see if any of their athletes act up (of course, we know they have threatened their families if they do, so it's moot).

Of course, I doubt the Cuban government would allow them to view the Olympics live.

• Hook 'Em 1