Things going on in Cuba...

Rip76

43 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sure, there's lots going on.  But this is the most significant uprising in quite some time in a nearby country in which the U.S. has had keen political interest over the past half century.  To me that merits a lot more bandwidth than the mainstream media has been giving.

well duh..but MSM gonna MSM.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

!00% agree, but unfortunately our media is hyper-focused on some book(s) that just came out (or pretending said books didn't come out), and European media is focused on the massive flooding and South Africa.  Haiti is taking up a bunch of screen real estate, because it's got lots of sexiness - assassins trained in America, etc.  And the Delta covid variant is starting to stir shit back up and put people in hospitals.

And the Cuban government, to their credit, didn't start slaughtering people (yet).  A handful of dead is not going to get a lot of attention right now.

It's like how Elgato announced their Stream Deck, a device to help YouTube/Twitch/etc. streamers, on the same day as Valve announced their Steam Deck, a portable PC gaming device.

The CNN guy in Havana is basically retweeting the war of words between the US and Cuban governments.  

oh they are slaughtering people you just haven't heard about it.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

It really is.  I know CNN has become a joke, but at least they seem to cover the important shit, both domestic and foreign.  But if you've looked at its website over the past week there's barely a mention of Cuba. 

There was a time CNN would have had some crazy ass reporters popping out of bushes in Havana.  Now is not that time.

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

There was a time CNN would have had some crazy ass reporters popping out of bushes in Havana.  Now is not that time.

Not just CNN.  Just to juxtapose, here are the world headline on Fox from the top of the page down:

COVID-19 takes toll on Catholic clergy in hard-hit countries

South African looting 'orchestrated,' police minister says

Haiti police reject reports implicating government in president's slaying

Middle East

• Afghan volunteer soldiers are ‘raw’ and up against seasoned Taliban forces: Greg Palkot
  • Taliban advances pose major threat to women's rights in Afghanistan
  • Afghan military lacking 'supplies, ammunition, and air power': Greg Palkot
  • Top US general in Afghanistan steps down from position

Europe

• Europe flooding: 120 dead in Germany, Belgium as more than 1,000 people are missing
  • German floods kill 60 as dozens more remain missing
  • Dutch crime reporter De Vries dies after last week's shooting in Amsterdam
  • UK mom gets 12 years to life in prison for boiling husband who she believed sexually abused their son

Latin America

And the ONLY headline about Cuba, at the bottom of the GD page:  Biden praises Cuban protesters after Cuba president accuses US of funding demonstrators

DAFUK.....

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

The F'ing CIA right about now......

7PyE.gif

Yeah, that is one thing about the military industrial complex... Bureaucrats in the CIA have been waiting their entire careers to get involved in something like this.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you can follow the Consejo para la Transición en Cuba, that's a council for transition (presumably away from the dictatorship) that is stirring up a lot of shit.

Some people are saying the internet is sketchy there right now.

The internet there is sketchy on a normal day.  People go outside to parks in the evening to get online.  When you walk or drive by a park that's a hotspot there are a bunch of people online.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, that is one thing about the military industrial complex... Bureaucrats in the CIA have been waiting their entire careers to get involved in something like this.

They are probably dusting off those old boxes of exploding cigars that have been sitting in their storage room for almost 60 years.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

My Spanish is rusty and I am not going to run this through a translator since I'd have to type it (it's a screenshot of a text message), but it sounds like they are calling on students to protest tomorrow

E6bEJ0rWYAAjjXO?format=jpg&name=large

Using all of my Spanish language training I can not tell you what this says.

However, I can confirm that no one is ordering eggs and/or beer or asking where the bathroom is....or the library.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ABSR said:

However, I can confirm that no one is ordering eggs and/or beer or asking where the bathroom is....or the library.

Donde esta la biblioteca?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Nah, they are calling for a mass mobilization of University students. Revolutionary Spanish can be a bit archaic. 

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

The internet there is sketchy on a normal day.  People go outside to parks in the evening to get online.  When you walk or drive by a park that's a hotspot there are a bunch of people online.

Really surprised Project Loon doesn't have a bunch of balloons providing internet. Seems like a perfect opportunity.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

To complicate matters more - some are holding off on filming stuff, for fear of the police using the footage to identify people.

Protip: Don't dye your hair bright colors.

Time to break out the Antifa starter kit:  masks, gloves, sunglasses, & a black hoody.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Time to break out the Antifa starter kit:  masks, gloves, sunglasses, & a black hoody.

Watching them round up guys and gals with brightly dyed hair and wearing Clash t-shirts got me thinking that if I was a Cuban protestor, I'd give myself a buzzcut and start wearing nondescript clothes.

Of course, then I'd probably be singled out by the civilians and get my ass beat.

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are claiming that they are outfitting kids to keep as a barrier between the people and the cops/soldiers.

Not sure I believe this, but my Spanish is rusty as hell, and wife is not wanting to translate this stuff.

is it because you wouldn't let her out of the kitchen? It's a give and take, dude. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Watching them round up guys and gals with brightly dyed hair and wearing Clash t-shirts got me thinking that if I was a Cuban protestor, I'd give myself a buzzcut and start wearing nondescript clothes.

Of course, then I'd probably be singled out by the civilians and get my ass beat.

Multiple shirts.  Change at least once, if not multiple times.  Blend in.  Go gray.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The protesters pouring into streets across Cuba have a common rallying cry: “Patria y Vida,” or “Fatherland and Life.” The phrase comes from a hip-hop song released a few months ago by dissident Cuban artists who set out to challenge the government—and in the process helped spark a wave of protests against the 62-year communist regime.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cuba-protests-dissidents-san-isidro-patria-y-vida-11626198332

30 minutes ago, BERT said:

is it because you wouldn't let her out of the kitchen? It's a give and take, dude. 

If only it were that easy.

I asked her to translate something, and there was a video of the police grabbing some woman with her baby in her arms, and throwing her in a police car, and the wife has now opted out of looking at any other Cuban stuff on my screen.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don't know what's going on here, other than maybe Cuba's leader is trying to co-opt something

I’ve seen some tweets (loosely translated) that Cuba is going to bus in workers to have a pro-Cuba rally which will be televised.