Things going on in Cuba...

Rip76

32 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't think the govt wants its citizens sending a mock naval force to a foreign country, especially one we have an embargo against.

If you could get even just 10% of the boats that Cuban-Americans in South Florida own out in one large group, shit would look like some kind of D-Day reenactment involving sport fisherman and recreational boaters.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you could get even just 10% of the boats that Cuban-Americans in South Florida own out in one large group, shit would look like some kind of D-Day reenactment involving sport fisherman and recreational boaters.

Seas are 3-5 ft. till Friday, then jump 4-6. Only 35 ft.+ boats would be the choice to make it. Especially since you would likely have to make it at night. Gonna take some brave souls.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Not wanting to deal with something does not equal having legal authority to prevent it.

I think Onboard's response already touched on it. Due to the on going embargo there are a lot of restrictions around  going to Cuba. It's been several years but I think sea travel was severally limited with the most recent travel restrictions put in place.

16 minutes ago, F250 said:

I think Onboard's response already touched on it. Due to the on going embargo there are a lot of restrictions around  going to Cuba. It's been several years but I think sea travel was severally limited with the most recent travel restrictions put in place.

Yep, you just hop in the SS Minnow and do 3 hour tours over to 'ol cubano. Been that way for a long time.

33 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Seas are 3-5 ft. till Friday, then jump 4-6. Only 35 ft.+ boats would be the choice to make it. Especially since you would likely have to make it at night. Gonna take some brave souls.

CHIEF

4-6 is getting biggish, but sports fishing  boats can handle that pretty easily.

https://www.14ymedio.com/blogs/desde_aqui/Cuba-cambio-julio-Reinaldo-Escobar_7_3130556915.html

Rough translation:

Despite government efforts to make people believe that last Sunday, July 11, were organized from the United States and that they were only isolated incidents involving antisocial elements, most Cubans have a new perception of the degree of nonconformity prevailing.

The images that show demonstrators in many cities shouting "we are not afraid", "we want a change" or the simple repetition of the word "freedom" clarified to each individual that what he pondered and dared not say was not an extravagant personal thought but a shared feeling.

With the intention of discrediting the testimonies of what actually happened, the official media strive to give examples of the false news that some spread on the networks, but that only raises the suspicion that many of these fake news or hoaxes may have been manufactured precisely with the intention of affecting the credibility of what is disseminated on the networks.

Suffice it to recall State Security agent Carlos Serpa Maceira, infiltrated into the opposition with the facade of an independent journalist who, at the time of his unmasking, appeared before television cameras by phone to Radio Martí to offer false information and thus "prove" that independent journalists were lying.

It's not just about what people have seen and shared on their Facebook accounts. What has more weight is the personal experience of having participated in a spontaneous demonstration, or at least having seen it behind the curtains of her window. There are many who have a son, a relative, a friend, at least one acquaintance who shouted or heard others scream.

This massive exit from the closets of fear will have consequences. The Cuban foreign minister will be able to say that on July 11 there was no social explosion, what he cannot deny is that day an explosion in consciences was unleashed: the awakening that occurs when it is discovered that it is possible to say aloud in the public square what until now could only be whispered in the ear of the most reliable friends.

Cuba changed and they know it.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 6

It's been years, but in one of my anthropology or civilization classes, power was defined as being able to make others do what you want, either because it was in their best interest (soft power), or because they feared you in some way (hard power).  Authority was a socially-granted right to exercise power.  You didn't have to have authority to exercise power, but without authority, you better have a helluva bribe or a helluva Billy club.

I'm kind of wondering where things are at.  I'd say they have little authority at this point, and their power evaporates the moment the police/military leave an area.

Mods, if you need to move this to PPP, that's fine, but the Phucking Philosphers Phorum seems like a bunch of potheads.

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

You’re doing a badass job on this. Keep it up! 

I'm following these folks:

Those folks seem to be trying to post legit stuff.

Also: 

• Hook 'Em 3