Things going on in Cuba...

Rip76

24 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Cuba is on my bucket list. We've made plans in the past to head over on a friends sport fishing boat, but chickened out at the last minute.

I mean if I want to feel like I'm traveling back in time in a new area where I can't understand their language, buildings are falling apart, but they have good sandwiches and booze, I'll just go to NOLA, but you do you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

I mean if I want to feel like I'm traveling back in time in a new area where I can't understand their language, buildings are falling apart, but they have good sandwiches and booze, I'll just go to NOLA, but you do you.

Went to NO a couple years ago, and we did a cemetery your. The lady that was showing us around talked about going to Havana, and saying that is was NO, but with Spanish.

27 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Went to NO a couple years ago, and we did a cemetery your. The lady that was showing us around talked about going to Havana, and saying that is was NO, but with Spanish.

How do you say "I bet you $20 I can tell you where you got 'dem shoes?" in Spanish?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I can't imagine. We take our freedom for granted.

Not to go CR but didn't a shit ton of journalists get their ass kicked by law enforcement during a period of protests here in the United States recently?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On the one hand, they are beating protestors, on the other hand, they have little control over the situation, and it's a matter of time until a large enough group of civilians goes GTA on them.  This isn't like Saddam's police where if they showed up and went after somebody, everybody else GTFO and pretended like they didn't hear anything.

This lady was apparently one of the journalists that was arrested and disappeared.

https://twitter.com/CamilaAcostaCu

Spain and a few other countries are demanding that the Cuban government release her.

There's rumors on social media from Cubans who have been posting verified/relevant info, saying that the Cuban government is telling the troops/police they have to get complete control by the end of today.  Last night they engaged in a bunch of operations to use darkness as cover.

We'll know if we see a lot more violence, and a lot more large-scale deployment of irritants and the like.

The flip side is that the government is also cutting power to large areas to help kill communications among the civilians, so it'll be hard to see this stuff.

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

No power would mean cold ropa vieja…..which would make folks angry…..unless there is no meat ‘cause of shortages.

Yeah, I don't think they are getting a lot of meat these days if they are rationing eggs by a handful per week.

So one of the reports yesterday said secret police and soldiers are dressing as civilians so they can get in and identify ringleaders, as well as confuse the crowds, and this was just posted (and it's being mentioned that the government is trying to cut off all access in and out of the largest cities/towns):

These photos just passed me. They are from the outskirts of Havana where riot troops and "revolutionaries" with clubs in their hands have taken to the streets and prevent people from leaving

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

I hope this doesn't get out of hand.  We're already seeing hundreds of people just "disappear".  

I think it already is out of hand.  It's getting harder to get more information out.

Google translate has been pretty good, given how many of these people don't speak American.

I will say that twitter has been pretty good about dumping bots, and there's a pretty solid group of users who are filtering out bullshit and posting info, but even their contacts are drying up a bit.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've seen a few people discussing that the government is keeping the military/cops and their families fed, thereby ensuring their loyalties for now.

Such a pitiful state of affairs that this is all it takes to buy loyalty.  

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've seen a few people discussing that the government is keeping the military/cops and their families fed, thereby ensuring their loyalties for now.

this is what North Korea does too. 

if these videos are indicative of what is going on all over then it may not matter. they may have had enough. 

are the videos from today or yesterday?