Things going on in Cuba...

Rip76

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Supposedly a complete internet blackout today. They’ve been somewhat restrained knowing they are being filmed.   I’m guessing there will be lots of blood spilled.   

It does appear in some instances that the military is joining the protesters. They will need something like that with the blackout. 

• Like 1

For this to succeed the military is going to have to actively side with the protestors or at the very least sit it out, and refuse to fire on their fellow citizens, and see what happens.

Unfortunately the reality in Latin countries it seems is then military comes in, and creates their own military led govt that are just as dictatorial as their predecessors (historically speaking).

Unless it becomes a bloodbath the present course by the admin. makes sense in many ways.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Internet blackout only means they're going past the point of no return. They either have to go completely totalitarian Nork style or risk the videos that countless people have saved on their phones leaking out. But it is kind of hard to stop that from happening when you are just 90 miles off the coast of the USA. And they have to think the United States is not likely to sit idly by and let that happen so close to their own shores.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Atom, you're doing God's work bringing in info. 

Thanks, it's been very fascinating to me.  When the Soviet stuff was happening, and then the attempted coup against Gorbachev, etc. it was pretty wild to see it on TV - had a friend whose family was from the Soviet Union come over to our house (they didn't have cable TV) and stayed for two days watching that stuff.  

• Hook 'Em 3

That's secret police, and apparently there's more and more of the cops out there with pistols drawn.

The thing is, they don't have a lot of body armor (haven't really seen any outside of the SWAT-style units) and they could easily be overwhelmed, and they appear to have been fairly restrained up through today (no idea how it's shaking out).

But we aren't seeing soldiers with rifles fucking around, it seems like it's been police/secret police.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

So "Fuck Cuba" is a slogan used by both sides?

Well....I think a major chunk of Surly, if their dad was a dictator of some nation, would push hard to be appointed as the head of the National Center for Sex Education.  At least those Surly members who aren't lawyers (they would want to be appointed the equivalent of the Attorney General) or doctors (Surgeon General).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Let's tell people that have little to no contact with the outside world that we won't shelter them.  Damn. 

I hope they have the strength to keep fighting. Looks like from Twitter they are still getting messages out (guessing phone calls…?) to supporters in Florida. They have some type of underground radio station from what I can gather.

When Russia, China and Iran are against it, I’m for it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s hard to tell what could be from today. 

Somebody said what little is getting out now, is getting out with the help of sympathizers at the ISP, or a few folks who have satellite connections.

I rarely see traffic lights that are on, so I'm guessing the power outages are definitely in place.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Some of the Cuban news groups are claiming that several thousand have been detained (up to 3-5,000).

Also, some parts of the island still have internet, which is making people wonder if the government has lost control of those parts.  Speculation at this point, but some stuff is still getting out

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some of the Cuban news groups are claiming that several thousand have been detained (up to 3-5,000).

Also, some parts of the island still have internet, which is making people wonder if the government has lost control of those parts.  Speculation at this point, but some stuff is still getting out

It appears like that is the case. That can only be a good sign. I hope.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Racking up over 6,000 new cases a day will do that (and that's before the protests).

Are they even sanitizing the batons in between hits? 

My initial thought was limiting the immigration due to the preference to have them stay and fight, but covid actually makes a lot more sense and is practical. 

Cross your fingers for no hurricanes upcoming with no power, internet, food or medicine. 

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

This article best explains it…unless the AP News is no longer considered a credible source. 

Reveal hidden contents

Votes. Haitians and Cubans in Florida will tend to vote a certain way. 

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-health-government-and-politics-cuba-coronavirus-pandemic-9d2fabbad8c5d12edfa4fe5cd4f4f1a7

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Let's tell people that have little to no contact with the outside world that we won't shelter them.  Damn. 

If y'all are interested in a discussion on American policy responses, there's a thread in CR for that. Don't fuck up this thread.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

For anyone that has watched the series "Startup" on NetFlix (or Crackle previously), CUBA has it's own ArakNet called SNET (street network) that has been around a long time. Government tried to take it over earlier this year, but much of it still operates independently.  It's a people run local internet run by gamers mainly and was/is much more reliable and faster than the internet supported by the government.  They just need any one of their nodes to be able to get to the internet in order to keep spreading information in and out.

https://www.dreadxp.com/editorial/meet-snet-cubas-homegrown-gaming-internet/

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
added link
  • Hook 'Em 7

Civilians drive the cops out of a neighborhood, cops come back shooting.  Have a feeling this is going to play out more and more.

Again, the cops seem way underpowered, both in terms of body armor and fire power.  If this were North Korea, those would be soldiers, and they'd be firing rifles at people in the street and on the balconies.

One commentator said the cops are underpowered by design, to keep them from being used against the government if they flip.  Which makes sense, given Cuba's history and the paranoia that runs deep.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Civilians drive the cops out of a neighborhood, cops come back shooting.  Have a feeling this is going to play out more and more.

Again, the cops seem way underpowered, both in terms of body armor and fire power.  If this were North Korea, those would be soldiers, and they'd be firing rifles at people in the street and on the balconies.

One commentator said the cops are underpowered by design, to keep them from being used against the government if they flip.  Which makes sense, given Cuba's history and the paranoia that runs deep.

Ya. Protests are popping up all over Cuba. They cannot control the whole island. 62 years of no real protests (save maybe 1994 which was over quickly.) I hope the protesters keep fighting. I believe they’ve had pretty decent internet since 2008 so I am not surprised that there is a lot of underground stuff now. It reminds me of the movie Running Man…

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

It appears Youtube and Twitter were unaffected, according to NetBlocks:

On one of the tech blogs, they mentioned that YT and twitter are harder to block - I don't know if it's something as simple as VPN stuff, or how traffic is handled or what.

Speaking of tech and blocking, Anonymous is claiming they took down Cuba's Attorney General site.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

For anyone that has watched the series "Startup" on NetFlix (or Crackle previously), CUBA has it's own ArakNet called SNET (street network) that has been around a long time. Government tried to take it over earlier this year, but much of it still operates independently.  It's a people run local internet run by gamers mainly and was/is much more reliable and faster than the internet supported by the government.  They just need any one of their nodes to be able to get to the internet in order to keep spreading information in and out.

That could be where sympathizers in the government/ISP come into play.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

On one of the tech blogs, they mentioned that YT and twitter are harder to block - I don't know if it's something as simple as VPN stuff, or how traffic is handled or what.

Speaking of tech and blocking, Anonymous is claiming they took down Cuba's Attorney General site.

Awesome!