Tim Beck Thread

OU Sucks

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If Beck has playcalling stripped from him (and it's been said that he hasn't called plays in the past few games), I'm fine with him being here as an ace recruiter, preferably as WRs coach with us giving Mehringer the boot.

It’s possible the staff is figuring out how to make the division of duties work for them. Maybe Beck comes up with the scheme to attack a particular team, everyone gives input, and Herman makes the playcall with eyes in the booth telling him defensive alignments. I’m all for whatever works. Titles don’t slways mean much on football staffs. 

38 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It’s possible the staff is figuring out how to make the division of duties work for them. Maybe Beck comes up with the scheme to attack a particular team, everyone gives input, and Herman makes the playcall with eyes in the booth telling him defensive alignments. I’m all for whatever works. Titles don’t slways mean much on football staffs. 

Yeah, whatever we have going on offense is working (I think), don't mess with it as far as coaching goes.

Still need one more ace recruiter on the staff.

• 1 month later...

Well, I wasn't thrilled about the hire, but I've gotta admit our offense is pretty solid and seemingly improving over the course of the season, and our QB has progressed a ton during his time on campus, so it's hard to say the OC/QB coach isn't doing a satisfactory job.

It's no surprise that we're running the Urban/Herman offense, but man I think it's a great fit here and it feels so good to have an identity again. The versatility is killer. We can spread it and go fast and have a vertical passing game when we need to, but also be physical and establish the run to slow down the game against all these funslingin' offenses in the Big 12.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Our run game still has a very long way to go. Our run game has gone from absolutely terrible to poor. Our passing game has gone from poor to good, though, so there's that. And Ehlinger's ability to avoid interceptions effectively makes it very good.

I was going to argue with you, until I read the last sentence. I'm still surprised by some of Sam's beautiful throws. Hopefully next year it becomes great with an explosive slot receiver. 

The upside to Tim Beck panning out is he isn't leaving to take a HCing job somewhere else. Here is to hoping he is a better version of Greg Davis and we can finally have some continuity on the offensive side of the ball again. I also hope Tom stays engaged with the play calling for the foreseeable future, it has definitely helped.

7 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Do we know that he's not? The game when we left him in Austin was maybe our worst offensive showing of the year (fingers crossed), which at least suggests he's contributing in some meaningful way.

Beck having his playcalling duties stripped is the worst kept secret on Longhorn internet. I'm sure he's helping with game planning during the week and being the eye in the sky at games.

Edited by Machinator

1 hour ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Do we know that he's not? The game when we left him in Austin was maybe our worst offensive showing of the year (fingers crossed), which at least suggests he's contributing in some meaningful way.

Herman isn’t carrying around that big wad of notes and playsheet on then sideline for giggles. 

None of us really know what he knows or doesn't know but took that fact that the offense sucked as proof that he was poor at his job. Myself included.  I think the improvement is almost the best reasonable case scenario.  Considering that OL play is still not optimal, the offense is still able to score enough point to win or at least compete with any offense in the best offensive conference in the nation.  That says something.  The improvement in Sam is nothing short of remarkable.  People were calling him garbage weeks ago, but he's won over every single critic.  

Not sure how much credit goes to Beck, Herman, Hand or the individual players themselves but Tim Beck back next year doesn't concern me at all at this point and frankly it's probably a very good thing from a recruiting and continuity standpoint.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Tim Beck got a lot smarter when his OL started to play better.

10 hours ago, Rhinotx said:

And Herman got involved with play calling...

Any credit goes to Herb Hand? Auburn played Georgia twice last year so he knew how to beat that aggressive line and linebackers.  

2 hours ago, Viethorn said:

Any credit goes to Herb Hand? Auburn played Georgia twice last year so he knew how to beat that aggressive line and linebackers.  

Yes. How many championship programs have shitty lines. Good Line coaches and linemen on both sides should always be a priority. 

2 hours ago, Viethorn said:

Hand and Yancy McKnight deserve a ton of credit.  I was focusing on Beck only because it's the Tim Beck Thread.  😀

• Like 1

Our offense got a lot better since Herman started calling plays. It’s that simple. You can literally go find the tape when he starts having a play sheet in his hand when the offense was on the field. It might be before the Mizzou game but I def remember him with a sheet in the Mizzou game. 

Yes, Herb Hand made the line better. Yes, staff continuity helped. Yes, Elingher got better. But our O went from nonsensical abortion  to effective in a matter of a couple games. 

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Our offense got a lot better since Herman started calling plays. It’s that simple. You can literally go find the tape when he starts having a play sheet in his hand when the offense was on the field. It might be before the Mizzou game but I def remember him with a sheet in the Mizzou game. 

Yes, Herb Hand made the line better. Yes, staff continuity helped. Yes, Elingher got better. But our O went from nonsensical abortion  to effective in a matter of a couple games. 

Great Play Calling for some is an art..... 🤘

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Then Tim Beck will definitely be fired, right?

If (1) calling plays is not significantly handicapping Herman from being able otherwise to coach the game, (2) Beck is otherwise helping in QB coaching and offensive preparation, (3) staff and team chemistry works with the arrangement, (4) Beck is recruiting well including landing offensive stars, and (5) we like how our offense is performing and trending, we would be foolish to gamble that someone else would be better. That’s a lot of ifs. At the moment, it’s hard for me to come down enough from the fantastic feeling of the Sugar Bowl to want us to fire a coordinator.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cardale Jones sat down for a 1.5 hour podcast this week where he dropped all kindsa #truthbombs. He blames Urby and Warriner for our offensive woes in 2015. Said when Beck was able to call plays without interference we kicked the shit out of people. He spoke very highly of Herman as well.

ETA:

It's kinda long-winded, but totally unfiltered.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...