Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Recruiting services have been overvaluing big/physical corner prospects for years. At the end of the day, can you cover or not? 

Yep. It's the DB equivalent of a 6'5 QB with a cannon for an arm who has no accuracy and can't read a defense, i.e. the seventh overall pick in this year's NFL draft. lulz. 

12 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

You can go watch the clips of him from the Rivals camp and the Opening. He gets burned almost every single time,  sometimes by no name guys. He's got pretty good size and athelticisim for his size, so I think he could make a decent safey. I like our safety prospects better, and I even like Caldwell better as a safety, but he wouldn't be bad take for aggy there. Granted, it's much more likely aggy plays him out of position at CB for the next 3 years because they have nothing there, like they're doing with Renfro. 

Erik Young is already over 200 lbs. so unless he has elite quickness/coverage skills he's a Safety as well.

Golfclap nailed it a few pages back. They apparently want a roster of guys that can't cover. But hey, "they're long and athletic". 

"Young despite his speed and build looks a lot better facing the ball than he does trailing, for sure. His bigger issues will be outside the lines. Wolfe has become Deion Sanders at Aggy247, a lot of "lockdown CB" etc... thrown his way. He's going to have to prove that he can cover without holding, grabbing, and ripping and more importantly he's gonna have to prove that he can play without a WR getting in his head and getting him out of his game. I think he has potential to be an ok man cover guy underneath but he's a RS year and A LOT of technique away from that. I know it's a long-standing mystery but I don't know why, even under this new staff, that Aggy targets only these type of guys. Forgetting the guys like Green or Cook --- you'd think that they'd have gone all in guys like Jamison, McKinley, Gordon, or Blaylock in 2018. In 2019 it seems like a guys like Alex Hogan (I expect UT to circle back on him and could see him be a future UT commit late in the process), Ja’corey Benjamin, or Deondre Dansby would be guys that A&M should be all over. Guys that can cover in space. I get that Wolfe and Young have bigger names, longer builds, and Young certainly has more athleticism but how many long athletes that can't cover can one roster handle? they need help immediately at CB." 

On 6/9/2018 at 8:12 AM, golfclap said:

did anyone see the QB's Throwing thread? imart's reply is peak fucking aggy. 

Hamm Lite glossing on how great the 12019 QB recruiting is going ::

I love the bolded sentence BTW 

imart your favorite aggy inside with the reply ::

Now you can knock Rumlin for a lot of things but QB recruiting? (I'm not talking about the way they were handled)

POWER. FUCKING. MOVES. 

This post is amusing considering A&M has been paying recruits to visit all spring 

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hamm says the ship has sailed between aggy and Shepherd.

I think it sailed before this weekend but when Turner or Jimbo or whoever shit-talked him to Trainor at the BBQ and that info got back to Shepherd that was the final nail in the coffin. 

• Like 3

I didn't really follow FSU's recruiting when Jimbo was there but I get the feeling Jimbo has a lot of Mack in him. 

Seems like he's not really the type to play the long-game. Feels like he's going to push for commits and try to fill out the class before the season even starts. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I didn't really follow FSU's recruiting when Jimbo was there but I get the feeling Jimbo has a lot of Mack in him. 

Seems like he's not really the type to play the long-game. Feels like he's going to push for commits and try to fill out the class before the season even starts. 

Did Mack buy OOS mercenaries to round out the class every cycle? 

• Like 1

And one thing Mack was able to prove during his final years: pushing for commits and filling up with bread totally craters the talent level. Kids who had no business wearing a Texas uniform were allowed to bleed for the program.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Did Mack buy OOS mercenaries to round out the class every cycle? 

Lulz. yeah, there's not much in common bewteen Mack and Jimbo. If anyone had any questions about whether Jimbo/aggy were willing to play the game, the close to the 2018 class should've told you all you need to know.

Mack’s early commit approach was revolutionary at the beginning. It redefined the recruiting game. The problem is that it only works if some of the top talent jumps on board early. After a few years of running that game, the top recruits realized they really couldn’t be pressured by Mack. They called his bluffs.

Once that happened, the whole concept of pressing hard for early commitment lost its advantage. Lesser players commit, and once the top talent sees that, they don’t want to join lesser talent. It actually drives worse recruiting. Getting early commits from top talent because they love your program and badly want to be there obviously still works.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Mack’s early commit approach was revolutionary at the beginning. It redefined the recruiting game. The problem is that it only works if some of the top talent jumps on board early. After a few years of running that game, the top recruits realized they really couldn’t be pressured by Mack. They called his bluffs.

Once that happened, the whole concept of pressing hard for early commitment lost its advantage. Lesser players commit, and once the top talent sees that, they don’t want to join lesser talent. It actually drives worse recruiting. Getting early commits from top talent because they love your program and badly want to be there obviously still works.

That was why the early Williams and Richardson commits were a bit unnerving - that's how you're supposed to do it. Happily, the momentum has well and truly petered out.

3 hours ago, PNWhornsfan said:

-3 star JAG OLB from Tallahassee without any offers from the big Florida schools.

-3 star OT, who is the replacement for Shepherd (probably got pressured into it because he didn't have a spot until Shepherd said no)

Possible commits:

-a 3 star QB who has an offer from UGA to be their 3rd QB in this class , but whose best offer is Northwestern

-2 3 star JAG OL from Pensacola, FL that crazy Karen seems to think are good

-A 3 star C from Manvel

for the record:

- i think tarian hill turns into a pretty decent player. film reminds me a lot of buddy johnson. 

- trainor hopefully can turn into an anchor at RT. we're still really hurting for a tackle pipeline, especially if sheppard goes elsewhere.

- banks going elsewhere sucks, as there are only so many guys that can flip their hips and run in any given cycle. i think wolfe is one, but i'm in the minority there. gotta find another cover guy.

- given up trying to predict qb recruiting. hope whoever we get develops. 

Edited by bizzle

Bizzle, I sounded the same way without study of film back in the 90s. Watching higher ranked players go to other schools and thinking, "the number 15 player might be nearly as good as the number 6 player; that's what some of the recruiting guys say."

When you're getting a top class, as you know, you don't have to hope against the percentages. Maybe you'll get Poona Ford, Malcolm Roach or other over achievers. You can name the Aggies who fit the bill. You love them, but they don't get you beyond winning seasons. Winning seasons are far better than losing seasons, but they're also tantalizing.

This isn't ridicule. It's empathy. Smart Aggies must be feeling a little queasy because they know that they're tied to the rollercoaster.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Bizzle, I sounded the same way without study of film back in the 90s. Watching higher ranked players go to other schools and thinking, "the number 15 player might be nearly as good as the number 6 player; that's what some of the recruiting guys say."

this is a good point, however: a. my post above literally refers to the film of tarian hill. b. this board isn't exactly populated with people pouring over hudl videos. 

1 hour ago, bizzle said:

this is a good point, however: a. my post above literally refers to the film of tarian hill. b. this board isn't exactly populated with people pouring over hudl videos. 

This Tarian Hill you speak of is not an Aggy commit. 

https://imgur.com/a/6N8TXmV

E: Can't get it to embed, but this is how the Aggy/Shepherd situation is coming across to me. I bet you could go through the LHF twitter and find at least one of the same people that were bashing Shepherd also accusing us of lying about A&M bashing him.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the ministry of information needs to send a handler with them for official photoshoots inside the lit pyle, and insure they never set up precisely focusing on a donkeykong corner.

9urCJzCa_o.png

The thumbs up will never look cool. I was talking to a girl recently and said I went to Texas. She put her thumbs up and I thought she was congratulating me or something... turns out she went to A&M. Never would have known except she had to say it lmao. 

Brian Perroni 66296 posts

50 minutes agoVIP

-At quarterback, Texas A&M made a huge impression on Zach Calzada and vice versa. This is not based off anything he told me, but I got the feeling that he could have shut things down if he did not already have the trip to Tennessee scheduled for Sunday and Monday.

Though there is a chance the post-visit high wears off a bit, the Aggies are in very good shape here. He plans to decide late in the week or early the week after. He gelled very well with all the current commits and some current players but the two guys that deserve a bunch of credit there are Kam Brown and Nick Starkel. Starkel spent a bunch of time all weekend with him while Calzada and Brown hit it off immediately.

-As for linebackers, A&M obviously picked up a commitment from Tarian Lee Jr. out of Florida but there were some other big targets there as well.

Christian Harris of Baton Rouge U-High spent all weekend in College Station, and remained there through Sunday mid-afternoon. There is a lot of optimism surrounding A&M in landing him, though Alabama is still there as well. The Aggies have some big-time momentum, though.

Five-star Nakobe Dean of out Mississippi is another player that spent multiple days in town. His grandmother being in Austin is a big deal in helping A&M’s cause as well. It’s going to be a long fight for him but A&M is right in the thick of it.

Kevon Glenn and Nick Jackson out of Georgia both had very good trips as well but neither appears close to a decision. Both will likely take official visits to Aggieland in the fall.

Once thought to be Texas lean, Cinco Ranch four-star David Gbenda is very high on A&M as well.

-Another player once thought to be a heavy Texas lean is West Mesquite wide receiver Dylan Wright, who has made multiple trips to Aggieland recently. He spent Friday night in town and there is a strong feeling around College Station that he could be an Aggie. As a matter of fact, I just put in a Crystal Ball prediction as well.

Another receiver, Nnamdi Adim-Madumere is headed to Alabama and Tuesday and then will be at A&M on Thursday. With spots in the class being at a premium, he might have to decide soon. He also has an unofficial visit scheduled to Minnesota for the week after. I think a late June decision is very possible for him.

He is not class of 2019, but I put in a Crystal Ball pick for A&M on 2020 Fort Bend Austin four-star receiver Troy Omeire. He has really bonded with the current commits and it’s quite telling that he was the only 2020 receiver to run routes for Calzada.

-Pensacola offensive linemen Hunter Rayburn and Adrian Medley are on their way back to Florida. I heard all weekend how much they were loving Aggieland, which is not surprising considering they did the first time around for spring practice as well.

A decision could very well come this week, or possibly the week after, with them having just gotten back from A&M as well both have been on an unofficial to Clemson last week. Those are the two main schools in contention at the moment and the Tigers should not be counted out. I still think it will be A&M, though. They want to play together and I think that will be the case but I also wouldn’t completely rule out one being a Tiger and one being an Aggie.

Manvel center Layden Robinson does not have a timeline but I talked to him today at the Adrian Peterson camp and the A&M offer was huge for him. In fact, his mom cried when Fisher offered. He is cousins with Jalen Preston and I still believe he will be an Aggie.

As for Javonne Shepherd, nobody really knows for sure what he will do, but he is planning to return to Texas next weekend for the pool party. A decision later this month looks very possible and the Longhorns having the momentum.

-I still believe Erick Young will be an Aggie when he announces on July 4. It is pretty much down to two teams with A&M and USC, where he will officially visit in two weeks. He had been planning an Ohio State trip, but that is no longer in the works.

Fellow four-star cornerback Bobby Wolfe is still likely to be an Aggie as well but he does not seem as set as Young. The Arkansas official went really well over the weekend.

-With athlete Ainias Smith, who was offered after camp this week, I honestly am not sure what he is going to do. He has seen the recruiting process up close before with his brother Maurice. After talking to some people, it would not be a huge surprise to see him eschew some of the 'bigger' schools. Louisiana Tech is a sneaky sleeper in his recruitment