Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

Perroni ::

New QB commit Calzada explains why A&M was the perfect fit

Not too long ago, even recruiting fans in the state of Georgia were unfamiliar with the name Zach Calzada. Flash forward six months and the quarterback from Buford (Ga.) Lanier saw himself in a recruiting battle with schools all over the country.

On Thursday afternoon, the 6-foot-3, 195-pound passer announced his commitment to Texas A&M. Calzada had just spent the weekend in Aggieland, camping on Friday and then attending the Aggie Elite Day on Saturday, where he was able to meet several A&M commits and top targets.

Calzada says it was that trip that caused him to make up his mind.

"I fell in love with the university," he said. "Everything about it from the players and coaches, to campus, facilities and opportunity."

Head coach Jimbo Fisher has a reputation for putting quarterbacks in the NFL, so that was also something Calzada liked. After the rising senior threw for Fisher, the head coach let him know how impressed he was.

"It’s a great situation with great coaches to develop as a quarterback," Calzada said of why he committed. "Coach Fisher does a great job with quarterbacks and I’m excited to see what he has in plan for me.”

Calzada also likes the offense that Fisher and offensive coordinator and quarterback coach Darrell Dickey will be running in College Station. He feels it fits him well.

"The pro style offense definitely played a factor in my decision," he said. "It’s great for the development of a quarterback and to hopefully prepare me for the next level."

Calzada had a huge spring, dominated at the regional Opening camp and then receiving an invitation to the Elite 11 finals. He also picked up a ton of offers, going from virtual unknown to having some of the programs across the country chasing him. In the couple weeks before he committed, he was offered by Georgia and Tennessee and took trips to North Carolina, Northwestern and UCLA.

"It came down to N.C. State, A&M, UGA and UNC," Calzada said of his finalists. "I know they all would have been great options, but I had to find the best fit and a place that was a true fit for me.”

Calzada, who is unsure if he will be able to graduate early and enroll in January just yet, has been taken aback by all the recent attention.

"When I first came to a Cam Newton (7-on-7) tryout a couple months ago, I had 4 small offers," he said. "The way he’s helped me on and off the field is something I could’ve never asked for, and I really appreciate what he’s done for me.”

Calzada is commitment No. 17 for the Aggies in the class of 2019 and answers a big need as he is the lone quarterback A&M plans to take. With his pledge, A&M further cements its grip on the No. 2 class in the nation.

Sayles ::

Aggies land popular QB commit in Georgia's Zach Calzada

The search for a quarterback in the 2019 class has come to an end for Texas A&M.

After a successful unofficial visit last week, and after a couple days of speculation from fans hoping to hear good news, Buford, Georgia, 3-star quarterback Zach Calzada gave his verbal commitment to the Aggies late Thursday afternoon. It's a huge get for a Texas A&M team that was in search of a signal-caller for its nationally ranked 2019 class.

With the commitment, Calzada became the 17th member of Texas A&M's 2019 class. Calzada chose the Aggies over offers from North Carolina State, North Carolina, Georgia and a host of other schools.

Texas A&M extended offers to 2019 quarterbacks from all over the country, from California to Florida. Landing Calzada was a big deal, as he is a quarterback who has 43 reported offers. The 6-foot-3, 195-pound quarterback, representing Lanier High School, was offered by the Aggies on May 17 and recruited by offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey, as well as cornerbacks coach Maurice Linguist.

Calzada threw for 1,706 yards and 15 touchdowns as a junior for Lanier. He also rushed for 117 yards and three touchdowns.

Calzada was in College Station for two days last week and threw for Fisher and his staff in a camp setting. He was able to throw to receivers like 4-star commit Kam Brown and 2020 4-star Troy Omeire, and he showed excellent arm strength, accuracy and footwork. Calzada recently was recognized as one of the top 24 quarterbacks in the 2019 class, as he competed in the Elite 11 finals, which took place June 1-3 in Redondo Beach, California.

During his visit, Calzada was a part of Aggie Elite Day last Saturday, and he had a chance to bond with multiple players who are either already on the team, currently committed in the 2019 class or strongly considering joining the 2019 class. It didn't long for Calzada to become a favorite among his peers, and one of Texas A&M's most recognized commits gave his full endorsement of the Georgia quarterback.

"Hopefully, he'll get to be the quarterback of the class," 5-star safety Brian Williams said after Aggie Elite Day. "I heard he did really well at the camp. He had a great time [Saturday], and I think everybody else had a good time with him."

Williams added: "He's just a really cool, relaxed guy. He's pretty much like everybody else in the class. Personality wise, he fit in well, and at the camp, the receivers had high praise for him. That's what matters."

During the event, Calzada spent time with sophomore quarterback Nick Starkel and freshman safety Leon O'Neal Jr. In fact, during a Periscope the day of Aggie Elite Day by O'Neal, Calzada made a bold statement that had some wondering if he was serious or simply having fun on the social media live video streaming app.

"Zach Calzada. Follow me on Twitter. I'm coming to A&M," Calzada told O'Neal's viewers.

That statement now is a reality, and the Aggies have their quarterback for the class. With the commitment, Texas A&M, sitting at No. 2 in the latest 247Sports recruiting composite team rankings, inched closer to Alabama, who currently holds the top spot. 

Tarp ::

Calzada fits the mold of a pro style quarterback for the Aggies

Gigem 247 takes a look at one of the most recent commits on Texas A&Ms’ commitment list. We’re taking a look at each player’s background, their strengths and weaknesses, and what to look for from them when they finally arrive on campus as part of the class of 2019. This particular write up is on

Georgia quarterback Zach Calzada.

Calzada threw for 1,706 yards and 15 touchdowns during his junior campaign in 2017. He wasn’t a household name at a position that tends to command offers and commitments early in most recruiting cycles, especially once signing day begins and ends for the previous class of quarterbacks. He didn’t put up huge numbers and he was only about 5 foot 10 about a year. However, Calzada hit a growth spurt, did very well at the regional Opening camp, and then received an invitation to the Elite 11 finals. In the process of becoming an increasingly higher profile prospect, he also picked offers from programs across the country. He narrowed things down to the Aggies as well as North Carolina State, Georgia, and North Carolina before selecting the Aggies

Although he is known for his arm strength, his film suggests that there’s something else to really like about him. He doesn’t panic when under duress and he has good vision. Calzada will have people breaking through his protection and still manage to strong arm the ball down the field to an open receiver. He can do so even though much of the time it appears that he can’t rotate into his throws and point his throwing shoulder at the target after his follow through. That’s because he keeps his feet underneath him under duress, even on the move, and that allows him to generate as much velocity as possible even though the remainder of his mechanics can’t come into play.

However, when Calzada does get time, he is something to watch. He has a high release point much like former A&M quarterback Kyle Allen did. Calzada will draw the ball back beyond his shoulder and really rotate his hips into the throw. He puts a lot of arc on his passes and he is capable of dropping them down right in front of a receiver and into his hands.

Calzada is not a dual threat kind of player who’s going to run the zone read for you. However, he can see the field and is capable of buying time with his feet to evade and then deliver the ball. He can move outside the pocket off of play fakes much like you want to see out of a West Coast quarterback and still get the ball out with zip and accuracy to a receiver who's driven off a defender off in man coverage.

Calzada will become effective at the college level in a system that provides him with protection as opposed to spacing and also teaches him to throw the ball before the receiver’s break. He can generate sufficient velocity that he shouldn’t have a problem doing this. He’ll also be good on bootlegs and rollouts off of run action to the opposite side of the field because he can move and put sufficient zip on the ball to get it to people on the perimeter. Most of all, he will be able to make the types of plays that A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher prefers in the medium and downfield passing games and also do so on the move when it’s required.

They traded gunnell for calzone and by the end of the day will have convinced themselves that they are better for it. They’d already started tagging on gunnell, calling him soft and scared of sec. calzone will in short order become a tenacious competitor who is built to handle the rigors of the sec. just like fortin was, before he decommitted last cycle. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Can't wait to see Perroni's evaluation of him. I am certain he will infer that he should be rated higher, Jimbo had his eye on him and is the perfect QB, etc...

Clearly their first choice...Gunnell, Rojo, Mertz, Daniels and Uncle Rico were all a smoke screen to keep the big time programs away from Calzone. POWER MOVES

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That's because the Luigi 44 is seriously undervalued by the BOMC services.

I haven’t looked, but I’m sure Calzone is the #1 QB on the Loogie 44. And not to worry, Cupping is surely rated waaay higher than Liebrock. #1 TE, I’m guessing. 

Loochie knows his stuff. He had Kirk Merritt rated “Best Hands” not all that long ago. 

Just now, Tex Pete said:

I haven’t looked, but I’m sure Calzone is the #1 QB on the Loogie 44. And not to worry, Cupping is surely rated waaay higher than Liebrock. #1 TE, I’m guessing. 

Loochie knows his stuff. He had Kirk Merritt rated “Best Hands” not all that long ago. 

He doesn't rank OOS players, but I'm sure if he did both those statements would be true.

I like that there's no mention of what the Aggie QB depth chart looks like to a recruit like Calzada.

"I'm feeling pretty good about myself, but I don't really know if I can displace a solid QB. Let's look at A&M's murderer's row of QBs. JACKPOT! I commit right now!"

25AxJt.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

He does if they start in Texas, commit to aggy, and transfer OOS.

hell yeah he does. love it when those IMG academy guys show up ranked #14 in state.

also, i'm halfway drunk listening to high violet on vinyl . . . but after looking at his hudl i'm pretty sure zach fuckin' caldaza is the next dan marino.

2 minutes ago, bizzle said:

hell yeah he does. love it when those IMG academy guys show up ranked #14 in state.

also, i'm halfway drunk listening to high violet on vinyl . . . but after looking at his hudl i'm pretty sure zach fuckin' caldaza is the next dan marino.

Fucking tremendous album, but are you sure you're not the one of us that's in Brooklyn right now?

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They traded gunnell for calzone and by the end of the day will have convinced themselves that they are better for it. They’d already started tagging on gunnell, calling him soft and scared of sec. calzone will in short order become a tenacious competitor who is built to handle the rigors of the sec. just like fortin was, before he decommitted last cycle. 

Honestly, this is such a shit move by Jimbo.   Have a top five qb locked up but try to snag a Texas Qb recruit and fail and then try to snag some dual threat qb.  That forces the top five qb to walk because he is not a dual threat type only to have to be left settling for calzada.  It's recruiting so it's always a guessing game and calzada just might be fine.  But all Jimbo had to do is come hot and heavy for Gunnell and he may have stayed. 

Basically the next Stidham, who will be offered by everyone this fall, but as always, won't matter. 

Spoiler

Pubes

Jimbo Fisher and the A&M staff have been riding a wave of recruiting momentum since early February and that run continued this evening, as the Ags were able to venture into the heart of SEC territory and add their quarterback to a sensational class that is threatening to push Alabama out of the top spot in the 2019 rankings.

For as hot as the Aggies have been on the recruiting front since an incredible Signing Day close five months ago, landing a talented signal-caller was an absolute must for Fisher and Darrell Dickey in this cycle. The A&M staff extended a few offers nationally and were very patient and deliberate while evaluating options from Florida to California and all points in between.

And then Zach Calzada‍ camped in College Station.

The 6-3 (and still growing) gunslinger made his way to Aggieland last Friday and threw to several of A&M's top targets in front of Fisher, Dickey and Co. Frankly, I'm not sure it took more than a few warm-up tosses for the Ags' national championship head coach to realize that he had found his man.

Calzada, who has seen his stock soar this spring as he picked up offers from the likes of A&M, Georgia, Tennessee, N.C. State and others, rifled accurate passes all over the Ags indoor practice field, displaying a quick release, excellent mechanics and, most of all, a cannon right arm. A few days later, Zach and his family made a return trip to Aggieland, he cancelled a scheduled weekend visit to Clemson and ended what was a whirlwind process by choosing the Aggies.

Zach has the arm strength to make even the most difficult throws look easy and can also display delicate touch when necessary. He holds the ball and gets rid of it in a hurry and passes just seem to jump off of his hand.

One can only imagine how fired up Fisher was when Calzada told him the news. The man who does nothing BUT produce first-round draft picks at the position just added a young man who has shown over the past year that he's developing (and growing) at a very accelerated rate and who has limitless potential as a passer.

Zach has the arm strength to make even the most difficult throws look easy and can also display delicate touch when necessary. He holds the ball and gets rid of it in a hurry and passes just seem to jump off of his hand. He's also a tireless worker who has had to grind his way from relative unknown to one of the fastest-rising QB prospects in the country, one who many unbiased observers from both the media and coaching ranks believed should have been included among the final group in this year's Elite 11 field.

Calzada is also plenty athletic enough to make some things happen with his legs and has a reputation as a pretty fiery competitor and natural leader. In other words, the newest addition to Dickey's quarterback room checks all of the boxes. When I watched him throw in person last week, a name that immediately came to mind was Jarrett Stidham.

As a junior at Lanier High School, Calzada threw for 1,706 yards on 116-of-227 passing, with 15 touchdowns versus 11 picks. He added three scores on the ground. Pay close attention to Zach's senior production. Because he stood well under 6-0 tall until a little over a year ago, he's been a late-bloomer at the position, with last fall really being his first to showcase his skills as a varsity starter. So he is far ahead of where he was a year ago at this time — both from a physical and developmental/maturity/experience standpoint — this dude is going to absolutely blow up this fall and the offers will continue to pour in despite his A&M pledge. It won't matter, however, as Calzada is solid and Fisher and the Ags are officially out of the 2019 quarterback market as of today.

Calzada becomes the Ags' 17th commitment in the 2019 class and his pledge is sure to catch the attention of at least a couple of uncommitted A&M wide receiver targets. Both West Mesquite's Dylan Wright‍ and 2020 stud Troy Omeire‍ spent last Friday afternoon catching passes from and getting to know the future Aggie quarterback and came away as impressed as anyone with the Georgia product's ability to sling the rock.

aggie does not fuck around with feeding the cult info that will make them continue donating %20 of gross income, jesusfuckingchrist!

"one of the fastest-rising QB prospects in the country, one who many unbiased observers from both the media and coaching ranks believed should have been included among the final group in this year's Elite 11 field.

Calzada is also plenty athletic enough to make some things happen with his legs and has a reputation as a pretty fiery competitor and natural leader. In other words, the newest addition to Dickey's quarterback room checks all of the boxes. When I watched him throw in person last week, a name that immediately came to mind was Jarrett Stidham."

32 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Basically the next Stidham, who will be offered by everyone this fall, but as always, won't matter. 

Hide contents

Pubes

Jimbo Fisher and the A&M staff have been riding a wave of recruiting momentum since early February and that run continued this evening, as the Ags were able to venture into the heart of SEC territory and add their quarterback to a sensational class that is threatening to push Alabama out of the top spot in the 2019 rankings.

For as hot as the Aggies have been on the recruiting front since an incredible Signing Day close five months ago, landing a talented signal-caller was an absolute must for Fisher and Darrell Dickey in this cycle. The A&M staff extended a few offers nationally and were very patient and deliberate while evaluating options from Florida to California and all points in between.

The 6-3 (and still growing) gunslinger made his way to Aggieland last Friday and threw to several of A&M's top targets in front of Fisher, Dickey and Co. Frankly, I'm not sure it took more than a few warm-up tosses for the Ags' national championship head coach to realize that he had found his man.

Calzada, who has seen his stock soar this spring as he picked up offers from the likes of A&M, Georgia, Tennessee, N.C. State and others, rifled accurate passes all over the Ags indoor practice field, displaying a quick release, excellent mechanics and, most of all, a cannon right arm. A few days later, Zach and his family made a return trip to Aggieland, he cancelled a scheduled weekend visit to Clemson and ended what was a whirlwind process by choosing the Aggies.

Zach has the arm strength to make even the most difficult throws look easy and can also display delicate touch when necessary. He holds the ball and gets rid of it in a hurry and passes just seem to jump off of his hand.

One can only imagine how fired up Fisher was when Calzada told him the news. The man who does nothing BUT produce first-round draft picks at the position just added a young man who has shown over the past year that he's developing (and growing) at a very accelerated rate and who has limitless potential as a passer.

Zach has the arm strength to make even the most difficult throws look easy and can also display delicate touch when necessary. He holds the ball and gets rid of it in a hurry and passes just seem to jump off of his hand. He's also a tireless worker who has had to grind his way from relative unknown to one of the fastest-rising QB prospects in the country, one who many unbiased observers from both the media and coaching ranks believed should have been included among the final group in this year's Elite 11 field.

Calzada is also plenty athletic enough to make some things happen with his legs and has a reputation as a pretty fiery competitor and natural leader. In other words, the newest addition to Dickey's quarterback room checks all of the boxes. When I watched him throw in person last week, a name that immediately came to mind was Jarrett Stidham.

As a junior at Lanier High School, Calzada threw for 1,706 yards on 116-of-227 passing, with 15 touchdowns versus 11 picks. He added three scores on the ground. Pay close attention to Zach's senior production. Because he stood well under 6-0 tall until a little over a year ago, he's been a late-bloomer at the position, with last fall really being his first to showcase his skills as a varsity starter. So he is far ahead of where he was a year ago at this time — both from a physical and developmental/maturity/experience standpoint — this dude is going to absolutely blow up this fall and the offers will continue to pour in despite his A&M pledge. It won't matter, however, as Calzada is solid and Fisher and the Ags are officially out of the 2019 quarterback market as of today.

Calzada becomes the Ags' 17th commitment in the 2019 class and his pledge is sure to catch the attention of at least a couple of uncommitted A&M wide receiver targets. Both West Mesquite's Dylan Wright‍ and 2020 stud Troy Omeire‍ spent last Friday afternoon catching passes from and getting to know the future Aggie quarterback and came away as impressed as anyone with the Georgia product's ability to sling the rock.

Holy crap that's the most sunshine pumping review of a 3 star I have ever seen

Edited by BurntOrangeCrush

58 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Not a lot of wait and see. They've got the best QB in the world.

That Chin Pubes report is truly fucking incredible. I have never in my life seen such turd polishing. That has to be written by one of you fuckers, right? It can’t be real.

either way, it is a masterpiece of delusion. I came away as impressed as anyone with Liucci’s ability to sling the bullshit. 

Edited by Sejjr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Hide contents

Pubes

Is this a swipe at the inbred cult? Or was this actually written by someone as a "news report" on the latest commit to the lit station?

How hasn't this been posted yet

https://texags.com/s/28601/no-need-to-pump-the-brakes-fishers-recruiting-prowess-is-the-real-deal

No need to pump the brakes, Fisher's recruiting prowess is the real deal

You’re racing down the highway, you're driving at least 20 MPH over the speed limit. The odometer is spinning like a slot machine. There’s not a state trooper in sight. Then, for some unspecific reason you get a nagging feeling that this trip is going too well. Suddenly, you’re compelled to ease off the gas and slow down.

Ever have that feeling?

Maybe you’re experiencing similar emotions about Texas A&M’s football recruiting. The Aggies are racing up recruiting charts. Their 2019 class is ranked second in the nation. They have 16 commitments. Two are from five-star rated prospects. Four are from out-of-state.

There’s speculation the list of commitments could reach 20 by mid-July. You’re thrilled. You’re psyched. You’re exhilarated, but you feel maybe it’s time to slow down on your enthusiasm.

At least one national recruiting analyst would disagree.

Barton Simmons of 247sports.com tells Aggies to put the optimistic pedal to the metal. “This is sort of what we expected (from Fisher),” Simmons said via telephone from Nashville. “Sixteen commits, the No. 2 ranked class in the country, and the biggest number of commits in the Top 10. I think there’s no reason to pump the brakes on the optimism.”

Simmons has more credibility than most recruiting analysts. He was offered a football scholarship to Vanderbilt, but chose to play at Yale where he earned All-Ivy League honors as a safety, and he’s worked as an analyst for 12 years. He gave Tyrann Matthieu a four-star rating when SMU was the only team offering. So, when Simmons says don’t pump the brakes, you can turn on the cruise control, or speed up.

Simmons said come signing day to expect the Aggies’ class to rank at least among the nation’s Top 5.

Obviously, A&M has made big strikes in Texas by gaining commitments from the likes of Kenyon Green, Brian Williams and DeMarvin Leal. Fisher and his staff have also raised eyebrows across the recruiting community by getting commitments from prospects in Pennsylvania, Georgia, and Florida.

Simmons expects the Aggies will continue to pick up speed — and commitments — because of Fisher.

“There’s really only a handful of coaches in college football that have proven they can recruit at an elite level year after year with no drop-offs," Simmons said. “Jimbo Fisher is one of them. He knows how to manage a recruiting operation from the head man’s chair. He’s one of the best in the country at it. He’s proven it. The only coaches consistently in the top five every year are (Alabama’s) Nick Saban, (Ohio State’s) Urban Meyer and Fisher. It certainly helps that he was at Florida State, but everyone else has down cycles and a rough stretch once in a while. Jimbo Fisher doesn’t."

After succeeding Bobby Bowden as head coach at Florida State in 2010, Fisher assembled five Top 5 ranked recruiting classes. Only Alabama and Ohio State had more in that span.

Simmons anticipates that the profile of A&M’s 2019 class will continue to rise, and not just because at least nine more scholarships remain to be offered. He said some of the guys who have already committed are raising their profiles, too.

“(Fisher’s staff) have been really strong on evaluations,” Simmons said. “They’ve gotten highly-regarded guys and guys they’re ahead of the curve on. This is sort of the recipe for success — getting momentum early, using momentum to propel the rest of the class and still trust evaluations and take the right guys. There are lots of indicators that this is a start of a recruiting cycle that can be maintained.”

Simmons said 3-star linebacker RJ Orebo and tight end Baylor Cupp could be better than their rankings indicate. In fact, he said the 6-foot-6, 235-pound Cupp, could be the best tight end prospect in the country.

“The guy that’s going to shoot up our rankings is Baylor Cupp,” Simmons said. “He’s kind of a freak. Right now we’ve got him at a high 3-star type guy, but he’s in the running for best tight end in the country. I think that’s an example of getting ahead of the curve. This staff demonstrates a confidence and trust in their own evaluations.”

That’s why Aggies are so pumped up about this recruiting class. It’s also why they don’t need to pump the brakes on their optimism.

Edited by texifornia

2016 In State QB Nick Starket commits to Oklahoma State   A&M - Signs with A&M

2017 Out of State QB Tate Martell commits to A&M - Signs with Ohio State

2018 Out of State QB Cade Fortin commits to A&M - Signs with UNC

2019 Out of State QB Zach Calzada commits to A&M - 

What did we learn kids?

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

What did we learn kids?

Lulz, commit don't mean shit.......

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

What did we learn kids?

To be fair Jimbo booted Fortin once he got the winning bid for Foster.

Meh... his HUDL seemed ok. I'm not sure I buy the narrative that he hit a growth spurt and that's why he's rated so low. He looks decently tall relative to the other players in the HUDL film, unless he's playing with a bunch of midgets. And as Chin Pubes put it (twice), "Is still growing." He's probably going to be 10 feet tall by the time he hits the Station. I don't know shit about evaluating QBs, but he seems to throw a decent ball even on the move, but also throws a lot off of his back foot.