Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Don't think we need much help with Garth 

That was my understanding as well but the ministry keeps putting out updates and always include his name as a must have in their class(check liucci most recent q&a last page. Liucci waste very little ink on players they will not get even if offered and pushed for by aggy as to not to appear to be beaten ie Johnson on ol in this class as well as Jake smith and floyyd. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

First of many. What’s their roster count up to now that 23 have signed for this year?

Looks like 102 after McZeal, but I could be reading the chart wrong. EDIT: I think it is 94 (8 fewer). Chart double counts EEs

According to https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2019-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/

Edited by Magus Ossis

9 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Looks like 102 after McZeal, but I could be reading the chart wrong.

According to https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2019-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/

I got to 90. The early enrollees were listed as recruits and as freshmen, and one guy was listed at guard and at center. And mowery and Ellison haven’t signed yet due to grade concerns  

Back out mczeal and it’s 89 with 3 more expected this class. 

Would mean 7 more to leave by August. 

Aaaand, only 7 juniors listed on that chart, who will be seniors next year. So unless their recruiting class will be 7 deep in 2020 there will have to be massive attrition. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Don't they have a real small number of Srs. this upcoming season?  They'll to have a lot more attrition to take numbers for 2020 class as well.  To bad they loaded up on Guards early for that class.

That chart makes it look like they have 7 juniors and no seniors. Assuming the juniors should be seniors, that is still not many. Still, a few early departures, an armload of medical retirements, and some pushes into the portal should get them at least to 20.

Edited by Magus Ossis

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Don't they have a real small number of Srs. this upcoming season?  They'll to have a lot more attrition to take numbers for 2020 class as well.  To bad they loaded up on Guards early for that class.

They'll push those guys out of their class at some point, I'd wager. 

25 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Who do they push out though? They have zero quality depth at so many positions

They could begin with the 2 pieces of bread from Manvel they took for Jalen Preston

They could probably jettison their own Charlie Strong, as Spiller is probably going to be ahead of him for carries as soon as he arrives

Man-bun and Starkel don't add much to their chances of winning

That would be a start.

Edited by Magus Ossis

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Who do they push out though? They have zero quality depth at so many positions

from their own thread on the subject of McNeal :: 

There's definitely a glut of upperclassmen DBs, some of whom are not playing. I still think Oliver is talented and we can use him. I'd rather lose someone who is not contributing at all. This is our pipeline of DBs for 2019:

SR: 4 
JR: 8 (wow!) 
SO: 3 
rFR: 0 
tFR: 3

That's 18 and we might still add Ward. Only need 15-16 and quite a few are older and not seeing the field.

SR Howard 
JR Reynolds 
JR Chattman 
JR Fuller (although plays on ST) 
SO Morris

funny because you know how fucking bad their DB recruiting and evals have been. Add in how bad Linguist is and you can see a giant fucking mess here. 

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Am I missing something that happened with Maurice Linguist? Or is he just a bad coach in general?

I think most the reasoning is Charles Oliver looked pretty good his first 2 seasons and looked like he'd pretty good and then stunk this year to the point he isn't even starting.  Kinda' like Davis under Clay Jennings.  The whole aggy secondary was pretty bad, which we already knew, but if they obviously didn't improve throughout the year as the backup QB for UAB passed for 300+ on them.

18 hours ago, blacklab said:

Texas loses 8, aggy loses 8, advantage aggy

Aggy is losing critically important guys with a huge dropoff in talent behind them. I would argue that we will easily reload at most positions with corner and LB the only true unknowns, but with quality talent there. There are a few seniors I am happy to lose.

20 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’m not worried about replacing anyone except the corners.  And we have talent there.  

I'd say LB more so since it's guaranteed 1st year players playing positions on our defense that are central to function. The corners, while lacking in experience as well, have at least one year under their belt with more talent coming in behind them. 

All this still pales in comparison to aggy. They'll be stuck in the "we're young on that side of the ball" for multiple seasons like we were '15-17ish.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:07 PM, Vertigo said:

Aggy is losing critically important guys with a huge dropoff in talent behind them. I would argue that we will easily reload at most positions with corner and LB the only true unknowns, but with quality talent there. There are a few seniors I am happy to lose.

this is an *extremely* good post.