Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

this is an *extremely* good post. 

My favorite part of the rollercoaster is when bizzle is sufficiently confident in the program’s trajectory to do these types of drive bys. I still remember when Sumlin was “one of the best offensive minds in the game” and Jake Spavital was the second coming. Good times.

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

My favorite part of the rollercoaster is when bizzle is sufficiently confident in the program’s trajectory to do these types of drive bys. I still remember when Sumlin was “one of the best offensive minds in the game” and Jake Spavital was the second coming. Good times.

In fairness, Spavital turned out to be good and has beaten us twice as an OC with two different teams. Sumlin.. well.. 

Although, Bizzle, please do me a favor. When you guys get your 5th loss next year, please bump this post and tell me how *extremely* good it was. 

7 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

plug and play motherfucker

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

In fairness, Spavital turned out to be good and has beaten us twice as an OC with two different teams. Sumlin.. well.. 

Although, Bizzle, please do me a favor. When you guys get your 5th loss next year, please bump this post and tell me how *extremely* good it was. 

no, i think you're correct, every guy we're losing was "critically important with a huge dropoff in talent behind them" and texas will "easily reload with quality talent."

15 minutes ago, bizzle said:

no, i think you're correct, every guy we're losing was "critically important with a huge dropoff in talent behind them" and texas will "easily reload with quality talent."

So you are good with your linebacker options next year? What about that DLine? Oh yes, and please tell me about your corners while you are at it. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

So you are good with your linebacker options next year? What about that DLine? Oh yes, and please tell me about your corners while you are at it. 

if this is an honest question, the answers are not really, yes, and i think we'll be ok.

linebackers - really shaky. anthony hines is more pedigree than anything at this point, but we have to hope he's a contributor. i like buddy johnson, but not sure he's a guy that can play consistently if he's not in space. one of ke'shun brown and andre white are going to have to be ready to go (probably white) and you pray somebody (hansford, kiante mccoy, grad transfer) rises up to take some snaps. 

dline - has a chance to be really good by mid-season, needs to get there early. i think bobby brown moves to dt because leal will be better day 1, and between him, diallo, madubuike, and jayden peevy we'll be just fine, even if derick hunter (who i love) and adarious jones take a while to get ready. the weak spot is a guy that can bring pressure, but hoping someone between tyree johnson, clemons, or leal can provide that. max wright also should be back to full health and i'm curious if he gives 10-15 good snaps a game.

at corner, not sure how it can be worse - always dangerous to hope too much on a juco, but elijah blades' film is awesome, and another year in the system should give us some more options at the boundary corner. (renfro, elam, fuller and chattman all have their good and bad - i fear oliver is broken forever). we also should get better safety play year 2 - elko demands a ton, and i wouldn't be surprised if brian williams ends up playing a lot of snaps at some point.

i said on here earlier i think we're a top 25 s&p+ defense next year (after 36 this year) - nothing spectacular, but if the linebackers hold up (big if) we should be ok.

3 minutes ago, bizzle said:

if this is an honest question, the answers are not really, yes, and i think we'll be ok.

linebackers - really shaky. anthony hines is more pedigree than anything at this point, but we have to hope he's a contributor. i like buddy johnson, but not sure he's a guy that can play consistently if he's not in space. one of ke'shun brown and andre white are going to have to be ready to go (probably white) and you pray somebody (hansford, kiante mccoy, grad transfer) rises up to take some snaps. 

dline - has a chance to be really good by mid-season, needs to get there early. i think bobby brown moves to dt because leal will be better day 1, and between him, diallo, madubuike, and jayden peevy we'll be just fine, even if derick hunter (who i love) and adarious jones take a while to get ready. the weak spot is a guy that can bring pressure, but hoping someone between tyree johnson, clemons, or leal can provide that. max wright also should be back to full health and i'm curious if he gives 10-15 good snaps a game.

at corner, not sure how it can be worse - always dangerous to hope too much on a juco, but elijah blades' film is awesome, and another year in the system should give us some more options at the boundary corner. (renfro, elam, fuller and chattman all have their good and bad - i fear oliver is broken forever). we also should get better safety play year 2 - elko demands a ton, and i wouldn't be surprised if brian williams ends up playing a lot of snaps at some point.

i said on here earlier i think we're a top 25 s&p+ defense next year (after 36 this year) - nothing spectacular, but if the linebackers hold up (big if) we should be ok.

So you think safety will be ok because it’s a tough system and guys will have had 2 years in it, but you also think an incoming freshman will play a lot? 

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Every offseason multiple people here predict doom and gloom for aggy, and every year they win between 7-9 games. Last season, their Oline was going to be shit and they had no DE's and they ended up being fine. Next year it's LB's and DB's.

To be fair, their Oline was pretty mediocre, and they did have no DEs. They didn't really need either of those things to get to their standard mediocre results, however, as you correctly note.

Next year, they will not have any LBs or DBs worth writing home about. They will also have a ridiculously easy schedule again, outside of the quality losses that they will crow about. You are 100% correct: rinse, lather, repeat. You don't get to aggy's level of historically consistent mediocrity without being really good at consistent mediocrity.

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Every offseason multiple people here predict doom and gloom for aggy, and every year they win between 7-9 games. Last season, their Oline was going to be shit and they had no DE's and they ended up being fine. Next year it's LB's and DB's. People around here always underestimate their incoming talent. They are going to be fine and they will be another middling SEC team along with all the other overhyped middling SEC teams.

They are almost certainly going to lose to Bama, @Clemson, @Georgia and @LSU. They have 3 certain wins against the murderers row of Lamar, Texas State and UTSA. They always  beat Arkansas and look like crap doing it. Then the Mississippi schools and Auburn are a coin flips (they get 2/3 of them at home this year). Throw in a SEC cherry picked bowl game, and its a recipe for somewhere between 7-6 and 9-4. Rinse. Lather. Repeat. 

They also were relatively injury free (aside from Hines) all year. You can also argue that A&M got pretty lucky to beat Kentucky and LSU.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Every offseason multiple people here predict doom and gloom for aggy, and every year they win between 7-9 games. Last season, their Oline was going to be shit and they had no DE's and they ended up being fine. Next year it's LB's and DB's. People around here always underestimate their incoming talent. They are going to be fine and they will be another middling SEC team along with all the other overhyped middling SEC teams.

They are almost certainly going to lose to Bama, @Clemson, @Georgia and @LSU. They have 3 certain wins against the murderers row of Lamar, Texas State and UTSA. They always  beat Arkansas and look like crap doing it. Then the Mississippi schools and Auburn are a coin flips (they get 2/3 of them at home this year). Throw in a SEC cherry picked bowl game, and its a recipe for somewhere between 7-6 and 9-4. Rinse. Lather. Repeat. 

And they'll play in a bowl and either lose to a team like KSU or beat a quality NCSU -- either way, they will play in a bowl where nobody cares.  And if you're leaning that much on a freshman DT then you're f'ked or the SEC isn't that mighty.   Look for Leal to do what Freshman with ample pt do--get banged up early and either play injured or sit. 

Watching aggys discuss rankings is always funny. There is never a discussion about why they think a recruit should be ranked higher. It's always "they should be ranked above the Texas recruit". 

It's the same exact loser mentality they have in all sports. They could give two shits about winning a national title as long as they beat Texas. 

• Like 2

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Aggy hasn't been this pissed since Michael Huff got bumped to a 4 star late in the process.

Exactly. And it is the exact same argument -- he's a track guy, hasn't shown anything on the field, they are just basing the ranking off athletic potential, he's going to be a bust, and it's all part of the t-sip media bias. Hope Owens suffers a similar fate as Huff.

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Watching aggys discuss rankings is always funny. There is never a discussion about why they think a recruit should be ranked higher. It's always "they should be ranked above the Texas recruit". 

It's the same exact loser mentality they have in all sports. They could give two shits about winning a national title as long as they beat Texas. 

When you lack real trophies, you cling to phantom prizes like recruiting rankings, close losses, national championship winning coach, etc. It's been the Aggy coping mechanism forever. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Scholz said:

That’s because they hate us more than they like themselves. No exaggeration.

TSRH. that's why they had Cupp gain a 5th star and Leal announced as the #3 player in the country and their ENTIRE board is in a full fucking meltdown because ZOMG Tyler Owens. Nuclear fucking crazy shit. 

Also, they appear to still be very pissed about Hookfin. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Machinator said:

DxiKhOcUUAA7NlE.jpg

That's cute. Hey Perroni, remember when DeShon Elliott was a Unanimous All-American for us while Larry Pryor and Justin Dunning completely flamed out at A&M? Bet you weren't complaining about their respective rankings then.

image.png

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

That's cute. Hey Perroni, remember when DeShon Elliott was a Unanimous All-American for us while Larry Pryor and Justin Dunning completely flamed out at A&M? Bet you weren't complaining about their respective rankings then.

image.png

Man aggy was so happy and laughing at us taking Elliott.