46 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

I still think there is a slim chance we flip Demas with the following:

-Win over Georgia - done

-Win over LSU

-Win over OU

-Big aggy loss to Clemson

-aggy loss to Auburn

-Big aggy loss to Bama

This would give us our best chance (and not a great one) to flip him by late October.  

AND if FWK spontaneously combusts.

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

This is based off memory only, and I've been drunk a few times since then, but I thought that his crying fit on the sideline was right after the Aggies went for it on 4th and short and Lane didn't get the ball. So it was even more selfish than y'all are describing. As you can see in the picture, the game is still winnable as they're only down by 7 with over 6 minutes remaining.

Was near the goal line iirc. Could be off but I remember Texags being livid because of course japorky would have scored and they would have won. 

4 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

Anybody remember why he was on the sideline crying like a widdle baby? 

The game was a late night one. About halfway through the fourth quarter they started shutting down the concession stands. Japorkie was on the field and wasn’t told about it until he came off the field on that drive. I believe they tried to console him by telling him there were still vending machines by the entrance, but that wasn’t going to do anything for him. He tried to fight back the tears but the disappointment got the better of him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Haven't seen anything from Looch lately.  @Lobwedgephil is he still recovering from the Georgia loss to Texas?  I know they were taking it pretty hard on that site.

They have taken it way worse than Georgia fans. 

Spoiler

Liucci

7:08p

Staff

AG

Quote:

Thoughts on Tate Martell transferring?

Honestly, the dude is talented but sure seems like a real liability in a program to me. His head seems a little too big for his helmet, IMO. I had heard he actually tried to transfer to Louisville BEFORE his first season at Ohio State (after being there during the off-season). Just a lot going on there, and I think a program would have to be pretty desperate to take him. Of course, there will be some that fall into that category, particularly Miami, West Virginia and UCLA.

I mentioned it on radio on Monday, but it really is fascinating what went on from December/January 2013/14-December/January 2015/16 at the QB position in Aggieland. The saga included Johnny Manziel, Kenny Hill, Kyle Allen, Kyler Murray, Jarrett Stidham (twice), Tate Martell, Nick Starkel, Trevor Knight and Kellen Mond, and the storylines are too many to list in a quick Q&A session but it's certainly worth talking about one day.

Quote:

If Johnny were to get another shot at the NFL is the most realistic option through Kliff and AZ?

In a word, yes. Let's re-visit this in a year when Johnny shows improvement in the CFL for his second season and once Kliff is settled in at Arizona. Rosen's development (or lack thereof) would be key because he's a high first-round pick they've invested a lot in. If we were talking about Carson Palmer as the starter a couple of years ago, I'd say it would be the perfect scenario for Johnny.

Quote:

Who gets Zach Evans?

Way too early to tell. I know there are some conflicting things out there but I think if NSD were today, I'd like the Ags' chances ever so slightly more than anyone else's. Alas, NSD isn't tomorrow, it's nearly a year from now and Evans' recruitment will rival that of Adrian Peterson's. A&M, Texas, Bama, LSU and everyone else will be heavily involved, but my history of doing this tells me we're talking about a colossal head-to-head between the Aggies and Longhorns when it's all said and done.

Quote:

What would be your dream close, if you could name any 3 that we have a realistic chance for?

My personal dream close would be Javonne Shepherd, Tarian Lee and either Braedon Mowry or whichever corner they prioritize out of the three out there.

Quote:

Your guess as to the starting secondary next year at Game 1 and Game 6.

I feel like Dalton lets some form of 'name your starting lineup' or something like it every week without picking up on the fact that I'm not a big fan of these because they are so damn wide open. I'll bite this time and go with Blades and Jones or Renfro with O'Neal and Richardson or Williams as your eventual starting four, with Erick Young also eventually playing a prominent role, perhaps as a nickel with Elam as your dime guy. Lot of names left off of there as you may have noticed, which is encouraging because it shows how the Ags are quickly building experienced depth on the back end.

Quote:

What's your take on Kyler choosing NFL over MLB?

I think it was the smart play by Kyler. If it doesn't work out and he goes in the first round, that's more money than what he'd make with the A's in the initial deal (and maybe more than the $15mil we were hearing about earlier this week) if he's a top half of Round 1 guy. He can stick on an NFL roster for a couple of years and then return to baseball, and that's the worst-case scenario. Hell, he could technically do both but that would be tough. As far as whether or not he'll make it as NFL quarterback, I wouldn't put anything past Kyler but it's a tall order for him, IMO. If anyone at his size can do it, there's your guy. Regardless of what happens, I'm sure we'll all hear about it and I'm sure it will be full of twists and turns, as it always has been.

Quote:

Are there any position coaches we need to be concerned about leaving?

None at the moment, but I've done this long enough to know that as soon as you think there isn't going to be any movement, there is movement. That's the case everywhere almost every season. Just something you watch through January, but I expect Jimbo's staff will remain largely intact from season to season.

Quote:

How much do you expect to see Kellen Mond improve next year? 

I've talked a lot about this throughout the second half of the season. Just look at Mond as a true freshman. Then during the first half of this season compared to how he played down the stretch (13 TDs to 1 INT and four straight wins to close things out). Give him another off-season in the system with Fisher beside him every step of the way plus several returning receiving weapons that will enter 2019 with confidence and experience and he has a chance to emerge as one of the SEC's best. If the running game can maintain minus Trayveon Williams, and if the young tight ends can make plays in the passing game (they don't have to produce like Jace but still emerge as legitimate weapons) then Mond will have everything he needs to be great. If he's able to improve on some of the weaknesses in his game as I believe a hard-working and intelligent signal-caller tends to do during the transition from under- to upperclassmen, the sky is the limit. As I've said before, just think of what this dude has already faced during the first two seasons of his career in terms of defenses in general, opposing DCs scheming against him and even the individual defenders. He's been through the fire and came out of it with over 3,100 passing yards, 3,500 yards of total offense, 31 TDs to 11 turnovers to go along with a world of experience and a ton of momentum heading into his junior season.

Quote:

Does Kenyon Green beat out Dan Moore at any point next year, or does he need a year to get used to the college game?

First of all, if you ask anyone inside the program, they'll tell you Dan Moore improved as much as anyone in Maroon & White from the start of the season until the end. They're also 100% convinced he'll be a longtime NFL offensive lineman. Beating out a junior with about 14 or 15 games of starting experience and whose best football is ahead of him isn't going to happen. What could happen would be if Kenyon ends up looking like a franchise left tackle, a la Jonah Williams or Greg Little and Moore were to slide inside to guard. I've always thought that's his most natural spot but I think the more likely scenario would be Kenyon simply being one of the Ags' 'best five' and starting off on the inside at guard. This one could go either way but I do think we'll see the true freshman in the starting lineup at some point this fall and probably sooner than later. Had McCoy returned, that would have been much more difficult, but with two spots open in the starting five, I do think Green ultimately claims one of them.

Quote:

Who has the best odds to replace McCoy at center? 

My guess is that Colton Prater takes the first snap in the spring, but I'm still leaning Luke Matthews here eventually. I think he'd have the best odds on my board. However, Prater, Matthews and Barton Clement should each factor in and the Ags could even go with guard Ryan McCollum in the middle if things shook out a certain way and he ended up being one of your 'best five.'

Quote:

Is the Saban Dynasty coming to an end?

No way. He's got company at the top now with Clemson but Nick will make the necessary changes and get it fixed. It's what he does. How-ev-ahhhhh (Stephen A. voice), Clemson has joined them at the top and Georgia is just a couple of steps behind and charging hard. Then you have Jimbo and A&M and Florida and Mullen. It's about to be as challenging as it's ever been for Saban at Bama and, per those close to him, he's well aware of that fact and considers A&M as big a threat as UGA.

Quote:

Who will have more relative success, Les Miles at KU or Mack Brown at UNC?

I have to think it's Mack at Carolina. First off, he has 'The Brew' so how can Chapel Hill NOT be 'lit'?!?!? Mack has been there before, knows the landscape and has put together a more impressive staff, IMO. I really like who he added on the OL in Stacy Searels. Also, Carolina is just a better job than KU and the Tar Heels have enjoyed at least modest levels of gridiron success.

Quote:

What are you hearing about Hansford's transition to LB?

He spent a good part of the fall there once he got healthy and will be one of the veterans in the mix this spring. I'd say tap the brakes a little bit as we're still very early in his development as an SEC defender and he still has a long way to go. That tweet seemed to convince many of you that Aaron was the answer and that the Ags were all set at LB since a guy who hasn't played much at all at A&M but had impressive defensive highlights in high school had moved from offense to defense. I've always felt like Hansford had more of a linebacker build and skill set but he was married to offense early in his career. The tools are certainly there and his frame is obviously 'SEC Ready.' He's a developmental player right now with a lot of upside and a chance to eventually factor into the mix. How does that sound? Someone worth watching this spring.

Quote:

After the loss of Otaro Alaka, Tyrel Dodson, Donovan Wilson, and Trayveon Williams who are going to be the team leaders in the off season and fall this year?

Kellen Mond, Jhamon Ausbon, Carson Green and perhaps a youngster seeing his role increase like Leon O'Neal or Jashaun Corbin. The Ags are definitely going to have to have some guys emerge as leaders during this upcoming off-season because they really did lose quite a bit of it between seniors and early entries.

Quote:

How do you think KK will do as a NFL HC?

I think he's going to surprise. Kliff has an NFL work ethic, the guys will play hard for him because he's going to connect and he'll tinker with the offense to make it more 'NFL-friendly.' IMO, what's as important as anything is that he hires an NFL staff with a lot of experience in the league. He's done so at DC and with his OL hire so that's a big-time step towards this thing working out. The toughest part for Kliff might be the Cardinal roster.

Quote:

What was your favorite moment this year in Aggie Football?

Definitely the LSU win and standing in that end zone where it all unfolded. It was the stuff of legend. Second would be the Gator Bowl and seeing Trayveon set the record, Gilley with the last-minute TD and just a feel-good night for Coach Fisher and the guys to cap off a great finish to the season.

Quote:

Bama/UGA/Clemson/LSU. How do you think these things shake out for the good guys? 

Not sure yet if I think the Ags get one or two. Still have to watch this team during spring ball to get a better feel but I have maintained all along that I think the Ags break through with a top-five win so the question is do they win at the end of the season in what will be a heated grudge match in Death Valley? I think they get one of Bama, Georgia or Clemson, with LSU and Auburn being the two swing games of the season.

Quote:

DeMarvin Leal's upcoming freshman season- does he have similar impact Myles had his freshman season?

I could see that but they are two different types of defensive ends. Leal being here in the spring is going to give him a great chance to play a ton in the early going and he's so damn good (not sure what some folks are seeing when they use words like 'raw' and 'needs a lot of coaching' because he's flat-out elite in terms of talent) that he'll make a pretty big impact. The only difference is that the A&M d-line returns quite a bit of talent now as opposed to when Myles arrived in 2014, so Mike Elko will be able to bring DeMarvin along at his desired pace and there will be a lot more shared reps than what Garrett walked into out of Arlington Martin. Again, Marv isn't Myles in terms of being this once-in-a-generation freak athlete, but he's every bit the coveted prospect coming out of high school at the same position and is for good reason. He's an impact dude all the way.

Quote:

Who leads the team in receiving yards in 2019?

Very good question. I'm going to go with Quartney Davis but that was tough with ever-steady Jhamon Ausbon and one of the most talented receivers in the SEC in Kendrick Rogers returning. Davis had over 500 yards in what was really his first year playing SEC football, and he had a couple of big games (South Carolina and LSU) and even more big-time plays, including seven touchdowns. I think he's a potential 800-yard guy next year if he stays healthy. A top-five WR in the SEC type of player.

Quote:

What type of investment do you think Woodward makes in our basketball program this year? What in your opinion is needed?

I've said all season and will continue to say, let's just let things play out and see where it stands at the end of league play. Contrary to what some of you seem to think (and I believe it's pretty insulting to those in charge because it's really based on nothing tangible), Woodward and his team know exactly where things sit at any given point in time in terms of A&M basketball - men and women - and they're going to make the tough decisions if need be. As far as commitment goes, if you're talking about how much money they'd spend, let's just say they're not doing the $75 million equivalent if it comes to pass, but they're also not cutting corners for a bargain-basement hire if there is ultimately a change.

Quote:

Is LSU better or worse in '19 than they were in '18?

Can I say I think they'll be better but finish with a worse record? I could see them being slightly improved thanks to a better offense but still drop close games to teams like Bama, Florida, A&M and, yes, even Texas in Austin. I say they're a little better and go 9-3 again, winning one of those four. They were pretty fortunate this year thanks to how bad Miami was and how mediocre Auburn ended up being (ugh...those last seven minutes at Jordan-Hare just keep pissing me off!).

Quote:

Does a name in the transfer portal mean you HAVE to transfer or even intend to transfer? Or is it simply a way for potential transfers to get feelers out there?

No, you don't have to transfer. It pretty much means that you intend to transfer, however, and once you're in, coaches can pull your scholarship so it's certainly a risky move not worth attempting unless you actually plan to leave.

Quote:

For the 2020 class, who is one uncommitted player on both offense and defense that you would want the most? Thanks for doing these. 

Offense it's obviously Zach Evans, with Troy Omeire and either Jaylen Garth or Chad Lindberg not far behind. Defense is tough. A lot of talent out there but I also think some of the guys being touted are a little overhyped in the early going. Give me a little more time on this one but I like Branard Wright, Vernon Broughton, James Sylvester and Jaylon Jones, personally.

Quote:

Thoughts on Year 2 Offseason with Schmidt? Can you imagine how good this will be for young guys?

It goes without saying that Schmidt was a tremendous addition to the staff and he obviously has the knowledge-base and background to get the guys where they need to be physically. I called him one of Fisher's two most important hires along with Elko during the 2018 off-season for a reason. He's a culture-changer, as we saw this fall. The players are only going to get stronger, faster and, most importantly, be in even better condition than what we saw last fall. That's what happens when some of these guys start getting two, three off-seasons under their belts. They'll be even more prepared to withstand the rigorous SEC schedule. I really believe an elite S&C coach can be one of the true differentiators between championship contenders and pretenders - it has everything to do with the time put in during the off-season and, with a coach like Jerry Schmidt, you're going to see that pay off in November (like we did this year) and eventually in December/January.

Quote:

If you were an Athletic Director of a P5 school, who would be the top 5 football coaches on your list right now to keep an eye on for future hiring and why?

If we're eliminating the guys who are untouchable - Nick, Dabo, Jimbo, Mullen, Petersen - then we're talking about a lot of up-and-comers. I'll be interested to see how Neal Brown does at WVU. The guy at Georgia Southern - Chad Lunsford - is young and has done a pretty remarkable job. Iowa State's Matt Campbell is impressive and Josh Heupel did a great job at UCF in his first year. If I'm a power program looking for rip guys out of somewhere, I'd have eyes on veterans like Patterson, Shaw and Franklin, though it would take one of hell of a premier program to pull something like that off.

Quote:

What in your opinion are the biggest needs in the 2020 class? Any for what's left in the 2019 class?

What's left for 2019 is probably as simple as best available. Ideally, you'd love to go CB, LB, pass-rusher but if you can get a guy like Javonne Shepherd you take him and don't think twice. He and Kenyon Green would make for a flat-out nasty set of bookend tackles for the future. As far as 2020 goes, I think it goes without saying that your top two areas of need are going to be corner and linebacker, no matter how things shake out with the final three spots. That plus a couple of disruptors off the edge would sit at the top of my personal list. I also think this is the class (2020) where Fisher breaks through with a national top-10 signal-caller and he could very well go out of state to find one for the third class in a row.

Quote:

Is Corbin Martin the next Aggie to make his MLB debut?

Yep. I think that's a pretty safe bet. My dude is winning at life right now. Newly engaged and cruising towards the bigs. Happy for him.

Quote:

What was the biggest thing that Jimbo pulled off this past season you didn't expect going into the season? With that answer in mind, how might Jimbo surprise us all next season?

I would say how quickly he had the Aggies playing his desired style of football at such a high level. Ball control, power running game, tight end as a devastating weapon in the passing game, limiting mistakes and playing hit-you-in-the-mouth physical football for four full quarters. Things like fighting to the finish, closing games out down the stretch and laying it all on the line for 60 minutes (and then some). Just how quickly the A&M players took to what the head coach was preaching and asking of them and how effective it was in the SEC West, as the Ags rolled to a second-place division finish. It wasn't just buy-in, he got buy-in combined with execution from game one and the Ags only had a couple of missteps over the course of the season and, even then, it wasn't for lack of effort or toughness. Next season? I think we might see this offense absolutely explode and emerge as one of the best in the country. On top of that, I think we'll see the Ags secure a couple of monster road wins and a top-5 upset.

Quote:

Does Caleb Chapman have the skills and opportunity to turn heads and be a difference maker next year?

As I've said many times over on air and probably in some of these write-ups, Chapman was set to start the week he tore his ACL in practice and had been virtually unstoppable for several consecutive practices leading up to that point. The only question mark with Caleb will have to do with how long until he's all the way back from the knee injury. His ability to make plays on the ball down the sideline on deep balls has the potential to change the dynamic down the field for the A&M passing game and, honestly, there isn't anything Chap doesn't do well as a receiver. Imagine a red zone package consisting of Chap and Rogers on the outside and Davis in the slot with a big tight end? The Aggie receiving corps should be the second-most improved position on the team next year and with those guys plus Jhamon Ausbon, Dylan Wright and a couple of others, has a chance to be pretty special.

Quote:

Are we really only taking 1 high school corner after taking 0 last class?

That's not a sure thing but it's possible. Georgia standout Jay Ward and Bama commit Christian Williams out of Daphne (AL) will be in this weekend, so the Ags are still clearly trying to squeeze in one more high school cover man. Interestingly enough, these are targets that the A&M staff prioritized ahead of Marcus Banks when they decided not to push for an early signing or an early January commit. If the Ags don't get a corner but round out the class at other spots, I'm not sure they won't need to go the JC ranks again next year and then load up at the position, which will be the team's greatest area of need, IMO.

12 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Reveal hidden contents

Liucci

7:08p

Staff

AG

Quote:

Honestly, the dude is talented but sure seems like a real liability in a program to me. His head seems a little too big for his helmet, IMO. I had heard he actually tried to transfer to Louisville BEFORE his first season at Ohio State (after being there during the off-season). Just a lot going on there, and I think a program would have to be pretty desperate to take him. Of course, there will be some that fall into that category, particularly Miami, West Virginia and UCLA.

I mentioned it on radio on Monday, but it really is fascinating what went on from December/January 2013/14-December/January 2015/16 at the QB position in Aggieland. The saga included Johnny Manziel, Kenny Hill, Kyle Allen, Kyler Murray, Jarrett Stidham (twice), Tate Martell, Nick Starkel, Trevor Knight and Kellen Mond, and the storylines are too many to list in a quick Q&A session but it's certainly worth talking about one day.

Quote:

If Johnny were to get another shot at the NFL is the most realistic option through Kliff and AZ?

In a word, yes. Let's re-visit this in a year when Johnny shows improvement in the CFL for his second season and once Kliff is settled in at Arizona. Rosen's development (or lack thereof) would be key because he's a high first-round pick they've invested a lot in. If we were talking about Carson Palmer as the starter a couple of years ago, I'd say it would be the perfect scenario for Johnny.

Quote:

Who gets Zach Evans?

Way too early to tell. I know there are some conflicting things out there but I think if NSD were today, I'd like the Ags' chances ever so slightly more than anyone else's. Alas, NSD isn't tomorrow, it's nearly a year from now and Evans' recruitment will rival that of Adrian Peterson's. A&M, Texas, Bama, LSU and everyone else will be heavily involved, but my history of doing this tells me we're talking about a colossal head-to-head between the Aggies and Longhorns when it's all said and done.

Quote:

What would be your dream close, if you could name any 3 that we have a realistic chance for?

My personal dream close would be Javonne Shepherd, Tarian Lee and either Braedon Mowry or whichever corner they prioritize out of the three out there.

Quote:

Your guess as to the starting secondary next year at Game 1 and Game 6.

I feel like Dalton lets some form of 'name your starting lineup' or something like it every week without picking up on the fact that I'm not a big fan of these because they are so damn wide open. I'll bite this time and go with Blades and Jones or Renfro with O'Neal and Richardson or Williams as your eventual starting four, with Erick Young also eventually playing a prominent role, perhaps as a nickel with Elam as your dime guy. Lot of names left off of there as you may have noticed, which is encouraging because it shows how the Ags are quickly building experienced depth on the back end.

Quote:

What's your take on Kyler choosing NFL over MLB?

I think it was the smart play by Kyler. If it doesn't work out and he goes in the first round, that's more money than what he'd make with the A's in the initial deal (and maybe more than the $15mil we were hearing about earlier this week) if he's a top half of Round 1 guy. He can stick on an NFL roster for a couple of years and then return to baseball, and that's the worst-case scenario. Hell, he could technically do both but that would be tough. As far as whether or not he'll make it as NFL quarterback, I wouldn't put anything past Kyler but it's a tall order for him, IMO. If anyone at his size can do it, there's your guy. Regardless of what happens, I'm sure we'll all hear about it and I'm sure it will be full of twists and turns, as it always has been.

Quote:

None at the moment, but I've done this long enough to know that as soon as you think there isn't going to be any movement, there is movement. That's the case everywhere almost every season. Just something you watch through January, but I expect Jimbo's staff will remain largely intact from season to season.

Quote:

How much do you expect to see Kellen Mond improve next year? 

I've talked a lot about this throughout the second half of the season. Just look at Mond as a true freshman. Then during the first half of this season compared to how he played down the stretch (13 TDs to 1 INT and four straight wins to close things out). Give him another off-season in the system with Fisher beside him every step of the way plus several returning receiving weapons that will enter 2019 with confidence and experience and he has a chance to emerge as one of the SEC's best. If the running game can maintain minus Trayveon Williams, and if the young tight ends can make plays in the passing game (they don't have to produce like Jace but still emerge as legitimate weapons) then Mond will have everything he needs to be great. If he's able to improve on some of the weaknesses in his game as I believe a hard-working and intelligent signal-caller tends to do during the transition from under- to upperclassmen, the sky is the limit. As I've said before, just think of what this dude has already faced during the first two seasons of his career in terms of defenses in general, opposing DCs scheming against him and even the individual defenders. He's been through the fire and came out of it with over 3,100 passing yards, 3,500 yards of total offense, 31 TDs to 11 turnovers to go along with a world of experience and a ton of momentum heading into his junior season.

Quote:

Does Kenyon Green beat out Dan Moore at any point next year, or does he need a year to get used to the college game?

First of all, if you ask anyone inside the program, they'll tell you Dan Moore improved as much as anyone in Maroon & White from the start of the season until the end. They're also 100% convinced he'll be a longtime NFL offensive lineman. Beating out a junior with about 14 or 15 games of starting experience and whose best football is ahead of him isn't going to happen. What could happen would be if Kenyon ends up looking like a franchise left tackle, a la Jonah Williams or Greg Little and Moore were to slide inside to guard. I've always thought that's his most natural spot but I think the more likely scenario would be Kenyon simply being one of the Ags' 'best five' and starting off on the inside at guard. This one could go either way but I do think we'll see the true freshman in the starting lineup at some point this fall and probably sooner than later. Had McCoy returned, that would have been much more difficult, but with two spots open in the starting five, I do think Green ultimately claims one of them.

Quote:

Who has the best odds to replace McCoy at center? 

My guess is that Colton Prater takes the first snap in the spring, but I'm still leaning Luke Matthews here eventually. I think he'd have the best odds on my board. However, Prater, Matthews and Barton Clement should each factor in and the Ags could even go with guard Ryan McCollum in the middle if things shook out a certain way and he ended up being one of your 'best five.'

Quote:

Is the Saban Dynasty coming to an end?

No way. He's got company at the top now with Clemson but Nick will make the necessary changes and get it fixed. It's what he does. How-ev-ahhhhh (Stephen A. voice), Clemson has joined them at the top and Georgia is just a couple of steps behind and charging hard. Then you have Jimbo and A&M and Florida and Mullen. It's about to be as challenging as it's ever been for Saban at Bama and, per those close to him, he's well aware of that fact and considers A&M as big a threat as UGA.

Quote:

Who will have more relative success, Les Miles at KU or Mack Brown at UNC?

I have to think it's Mack at Carolina. First off, he has 'The Brew' so how can Chapel Hill NOT be 'lit'?!?!? Mack has been there before, knows the landscape and has put together a more impressive staff, IMO. I really like who he added on the OL in Stacy Searels. Also, Carolina is just a better job than KU and the Tar Heels have enjoyed at least modest levels of gridiron success.

Quote:

What are you hearing about Hansford's transition to LB?

He spent a good part of the fall there once he got healthy and will be one of the veterans in the mix this spring. I'd say tap the brakes a little bit as we're still very early in his development as an SEC defender and he still has a long way to go. That tweet seemed to convince many of you that Aaron was the answer and that the Ags were all set at LB since a guy who hasn't played much at all at A&M but had impressive defensive highlights in high school had moved from offense to defense. I've always felt like Hansford had more of a linebacker build and skill set but he was married to offense early in his career. The tools are certainly there and his frame is obviously 'SEC Ready.' He's a developmental player right now with a lot of upside and a chance to eventually factor into the mix. How does that sound? Someone worth watching this spring.

Quote:

After the loss of Otaro Alaka, Tyrel Dodson, Donovan Wilson, and Trayveon Williams who are going to be the team leaders in the off season and fall this year?

Kellen Mond, Jhamon Ausbon, Carson Green and perhaps a youngster seeing his role increase like Leon O'Neal or Jashaun Corbin. The Ags are definitely going to have to have some guys emerge as leaders during this upcoming off-season because they really did lose quite a bit of it between seniors and early entries.

Quote:

How do you think KK will do as a NFL HC?

I think he's going to surprise. Kliff has an NFL work ethic, the guys will play hard for him because he's going to connect and he'll tinker with the offense to make it more 'NFL-friendly.' IMO, what's as important as anything is that he hires an NFL staff with a lot of experience in the league. He's done so at DC and with his OL hire so that's a big-time step towards this thing working out. The toughest part for Kliff might be the Cardinal roster.

Quote:

What was your favorite moment this year in Aggie Football?

Definitely the LSU win and standing in that end zone where it all unfolded. It was the stuff of legend. Second would be the Gator Bowl and seeing Trayveon set the record, Gilley with the last-minute TD and just a feel-good night for Coach Fisher and the guys to cap off a great finish to the season.

Quote:

Bama/UGA/Clemson/LSU. How do you think these things shake out for the good guys? 

Not sure yet if I think the Ags get one or two. Still have to watch this team during spring ball to get a better feel but I have maintained all along that I think the Ags break through with a top-five win so the question is do they win at the end of the season in what will be a heated grudge match in Death Valley? I think they get one of Bama, Georgia or Clemson, with LSU and Auburn being the two swing games of the season.

Quote:

DeMarvin Leal's upcoming freshman season- does he have similar impact Myles had his freshman season?

I could see that but they are two different types of defensive ends. Leal being here in the spring is going to give him a great chance to play a ton in the early going and he's so damn good (not sure what some folks are seeing when they use words like 'raw' and 'needs a lot of coaching' because he's flat-out elite in terms of talent) that he'll make a pretty big impact. The only difference is that the A&M d-line returns quite a bit of talent now as opposed to when Myles arrived in 2014, so Mike Elko will be able to bring DeMarvin along at his desired pace and there will be a lot more shared reps than what Garrett walked into out of Arlington Martin. Again, Marv isn't Myles in terms of being this once-in-a-generation freak athlete, but he's every bit the coveted prospect coming out of high school at the same position and is for good reason. He's an impact dude all the way.

Quote:

Who leads the team in receiving yards in 2019?

Very good question. I'm going to go with Quartney Davis but that was tough with ever-steady Jhamon Ausbon and one of the most talented receivers in the SEC in Kendrick Rogers returning. Davis had over 500 yards in what was really his first year playing SEC football, and he had a couple of big games (South Carolina and LSU) and even more big-time plays, including seven touchdowns. I think he's a potential 800-yard guy next year if he stays healthy. A top-five WR in the SEC type of player.

Quote:

What type of investment do you think Woodward makes in our basketball program this year? What in your opinion is needed?

I've said all season and will continue to say, let's just let things play out and see where it stands at the end of league play. Contrary to what some of you seem to think (and I believe it's pretty insulting to those in charge because it's really based on nothing tangible), Woodward and his team know exactly where things sit at any given point in time in terms of A&M basketball - men and women - and they're going to make the tough decisions if need be. As far as commitment goes, if you're talking about how much money they'd spend, let's just say they're not doing the $75 million equivalent if it comes to pass, but they're also not cutting corners for a bargain-basement hire if there is ultimately a change.

Quote:

Is LSU better or worse in '19 than they were in '18?

Can I say I think they'll be better but finish with a worse record? I could see them being slightly improved thanks to a better offense but still drop close games to teams like Bama, Florida, A&M and, yes, even Texas in Austin. I say they're a little better and go 9-3 again, winning one of those four. They were pretty fortunate this year thanks to how bad Miami was and how mediocre Auburn ended up being (ugh...those last seven minutes at Jordan-Hare just keep pissing me off!).

Quote:

Does a name in the transfer portal mean you HAVE to transfer or even intend to transfer? Or is it simply a way for potential transfers to get feelers out there?

No, you don't have to transfer. It pretty much means that you intend to transfer, however, and once you're in, coaches can pull your scholarship so it's certainly a risky move not worth attempting unless you actually plan to leave.

Quote:

For the 2020 class, who is one uncommitted player on both offense and defense that you would want the most? Thanks for doing these. 

Offense it's obviously Zach Evans, with Troy Omeire and either Jaylen Garth or Chad Lindberg not far behind. Defense is tough. A lot of talent out there but I also think some of the guys being touted are a little overhyped in the early going. Give me a little more time on this one but I like Branard Wright, Vernon Broughton, James Sylvester and Jaylon Jones, personally.

Quote:

Thoughts on Year 2 Offseason with Schmidt? Can you imagine how good this will be for young guys?

It goes without saying that Schmidt was a tremendous addition to the staff and he obviously has the knowledge-base and background to get the guys where they need to be physically. I called him one of Fisher's two most important hires along with Elko during the 2018 off-season for a reason. He's a culture-changer, as we saw this fall. The players are only going to get stronger, faster and, most importantly, be in even better condition than what we saw last fall. That's what happens when some of these guys start getting two, three off-seasons under their belts. They'll be even more prepared to withstand the rigorous SEC schedule. I really believe an elite S&C coach can be one of the true differentiators between championship contenders and pretenders - it has everything to do with the time put in during the off-season and, with a coach like Jerry Schmidt, you're going to see that pay off in November (like we did this year) and eventually in December/January.

Quote:

If you were an Athletic Director of a P5 school, who would be the top 5 football coaches on your list right now to keep an eye on for future hiring and why?

If we're eliminating the guys who are untouchable - Nick, Dabo, Jimbo, Mullen, Petersen - then we're talking about a lot of up-and-comers. I'll be interested to see how Neal Brown does at WVU. The guy at Georgia Southern - Chad Lunsford - is young and has done a pretty remarkable job. Iowa State's Matt Campbell is impressive and Josh Heupel did a great job at UCF in his first year. If I'm a power program looking for rip guys out of somewhere, I'd have eyes on veterans like Patterson, Shaw and Franklin, though it would take one of hell of a premier program to pull something like that off.

Quote:

What in your opinion are the biggest needs in the 2020 class? Any for what's left in the 2019 class?

What's left for 2019 is probably as simple as best available. Ideally, you'd love to go CB, LB, pass-rusher but if you can get a guy like Javonne Shepherd you take him and don't think twice. He and Kenyon Green would make for a flat-out nasty set of bookend tackles for the future. As far as 2020 goes, I think it goes without saying that your top two areas of need are going to be corner and linebacker, no matter how things shake out with the final three spots. That plus a couple of disruptors off the edge would sit at the top of my personal list. I also think this is the class (2020) where Fisher breaks through with a national top-10 signal-caller and he could very well go out of state to find one for the third class in a row.

Quote:

Is Corbin Martin the next Aggie to make his MLB debut?

Yep. I think that's a pretty safe bet. My dude is winning at life right now. Newly engaged and cruising towards the bigs. Happy for him.

Quote:

What was the biggest thing that Jimbo pulled off this past season you didn't expect going into the season? With that answer in mind, how might Jimbo surprise us all next season?

I would say how quickly he had the Aggies playing his desired style of football at such a high level. Ball control, power running game, tight end as a devastating weapon in the passing game, limiting mistakes and playing hit-you-in-the-mouth physical football for four full quarters. Things like fighting to the finish, closing games out down the stretch and laying it all on the line for 60 minutes (and then some). Just how quickly the A&M players took to what the head coach was preaching and asking of them and how effective it was in the SEC West, as the Ags rolled to a second-place division finish. It wasn't just buy-in, he got buy-in combined with execution from game one and the Ags only had a couple of missteps over the course of the season and, even then, it wasn't for lack of effort or toughness. Next season? I think we might see this offense absolutely explode and emerge as one of the best in the country. On top of that, I think we'll see the Ags secure a couple of monster road wins and a top-5 upset.

Quote:

Does Caleb Chapman have the skills and opportunity to turn heads and be a difference maker next year?

As I've said many times over on air and probably in some of these write-ups, Chapman was set to start the week he tore his ACL in practice and had been virtually unstoppable for several consecutive practices leading up to that point. The only question mark with Caleb will have to do with how long until he's all the way back from the knee injury. His ability to make plays on the ball down the sideline on deep balls has the potential to change the dynamic down the field for the A&M passing game and, honestly, there isn't anything Chap doesn't do well as a receiver. Imagine a red zone package consisting of Chap and Rogers on the outside and Davis in the slot with a big tight end? The Aggie receiving corps should be the second-most improved position on the team next year and with those guys plus Jhamon Ausbon, Dylan Wright and a couple of others, has a chance to be pretty special.

Quote:

Are we really only taking 1 high school corner after taking 0 last class?

That's not a sure thing but it's possible. Georgia standout Jay Ward and Bama commit Christian Williams out of Daphne (AL) will be in this weekend, so the Ags are still clearly trying to squeeze in one more high school cover man. Interestingly enough, these are targets that the A&M staff prioritized ahead of Marcus Banks when they decided not to push for an early signing or an early January commit. If the Ags don't get a corner but round out the class at other spots, I'm not sure they won't need to go the JC ranks again next year and then load up at the position, which will be the team's greatest area of need, IMO.

Wow I must say I'm in complete shock.  Not a single question about Texas.  

Honestly, the dude is talented but sure seems like a real liability in a program to me. His head seems a little too big for his helmet, IMO.

Luicci's thoughts on the head case that is Tate Martell (above) followed by wanting Javonne Shepherd 2 questions later.  Lulz.

• Like 2

It's about to be as challenging as it's ever been for Saban at Bama and, per those close to him, he's well aware of that fact and considers A&M as big a threat as UGA.

That's peak texags.  Saban is scared to death of aggie. I guess lil'Nicky is still traumatized by that loss 7 years ago, or he's just straight up afraid of Jimbo... perhaps the one coach that's shorter than Saban. 

2 minutes ago, RabidM said:

That's peak texags.  Saban is scared to death of aggie. I guess lil'Nicky is still traumatized by that loss 7 years ago, or he's just straight up afraid of Jimbo... perhaps the one coach that's shorter than Saban. 

Per those close to him? Sounds legit.

I like how Loochi mentions that many of the 2020 defensive players are overrated, and then goes on the mention the most overrated one as a top target he hopes to land 

Well obviously none of them will be better than the historic haul they’ve had thus year. Can’t top perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Well obviously none of them will be better than the historic haul they’ve had thus year. Can’t top perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he still trying to sell thier defensive backfield class this year is better than ours was last year?

10 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Quote:

This is probably my favorite question and answer. This is not the NFL. This is not a draft. Even if it was, people tout you should take the best available but it usually involves the modifier at a position of need. This is why Aggy buying Shepherd is hilarious. Their depth chart at LB and CB are laughably bad, and DE isn't much better, but those chucklefucks need to prove to Texas they're a big boy too. 

2019 Scholarship LBs: Buddy Johnson, Anthony Hines, Aaron Hansford (never played LB, moved from TE)

2019 : Andrew White Jr. (4 star), Ke'Shun Brown (3 star), Tarian Lee Jr (3 star)

2018: Zero LBs recruited

2017: Anthon Hines, Buddy Johnson, Santino Maricho (Transfer), 

2016: Tyrel Dodson (Declard for NFL), Aaron Hansford (TE)

2015: Richard Moore (Transfer), Landis Durham (Graduated, played DE), Claude George (Transfer), Riley Garner (Graduated), Dwaine Thomas (Transfer)

2014: Otaro Alaka (Graduated), Josh Walker (Transfer)

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

This is probably my favorite question and answer. This is not the NFL. This is not a draft. Even if it was, people tout you should take the best available but it usually involves the modifier at a position of need. This is why Aggy buying Shepherd is hilarious. Their depth chart at LB and CB are laughably bad, and DE isn't much better, but those chucklefucks need to prove to Texas they're a big boy too.  

2019 Scholarship LBs: Buddy Johnson, Anthony Hines, Aaron Hansford (never played LB, moved from TE)

2019 : Andrew White Jr. (4 star), Ke'Shun Brown (3 star), Tarian Lee Jr (3 star)

2018: Zero LBs recruited

2017: Anthon Hines, Buddy Johnson, Santino Maricho (Transfer), 

2016: Tyrel Dodson (Declard for NFL), Aaron Hansford (TE)

2015: Richard Moore (Transfer), Landis Durham (Graduated, played DE), Claude George (Transfer), Riley Garner (Graduated), Dwaine Thomas (Transfer)

2014: Otaro Alaka (Graduated), Josh Walker (Transfer)

To be fair, OT isn't in a great spot for them either 

13 hours ago, Fud said:

I like how Loochi mentions that many of the 2020 defensive players are overrated, and then goes on the mention the most overrated one as a top target he hopes to land 

Probably because he knows Herman is about to run circles around Jimbo in the 2020 class.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 9:16 PM, Lobwedgephil said:

Hide contents

Interesting take Looch especially since he couldn't keep good coaches at FSU: Pruitt, Stoops, Gran

Here you go @golfclap they are puzzled about what happened with Oliver and talking about other Corner's.  Going to have to tell them Linguist sucks as a coach.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/Texas-AM-2019-cornerbacks-Maurice-Linguist-Charles-Oliver-Debione-Renfro-Myles-Jones-127956989/

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Here you go @golfclap they are puzzled about what happened with Oliver and talking about other Corner's.  Going to have to tell them Linguist sucks as a coach.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/Texas-AM-2019-cornerbacks-Maurice-Linguist-Charles-Oliver-Debione-Renfro-Myles-Jones-127956989/

They hate their only real corner 

Any word on if Blades is actually going to qualify?

11 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Funny that chin pubes is so excited to close with Tarian Lee to where he apparently doesn't know he already signed for Aggy?  But yes, their dream close is Shepherd, Lee, and Mowry...

Not sure if this is a joke, but he's talking about ATH Devonta Lee from LA

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Honestly thought that kid had a lot of potential. Kind of surprised it hasn't worked out for him.

And yeah, look at his bio - he's gone: https://twitter.com/6_zeal

supposedly a really good kid. needs to go somewhere that he can flex out some as i'm just not sure he's got the frame to be an in-line tight end.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Apparently we're all just posting different versions of that gif.  Here are some more:

tenor.gif?itemid=4519872

1525647627755.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

korath.gif

1k4W.gif

hDw.gif

I opted for the high quality version, just like my posting style. You stayed on point with quantity over quality, and as usual Machinator just showed up first. Pretty fitting for all of us. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Supposedly Keynel McZeal is transferring. 

All-world recruit with offers from A&M, Army, SE Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Texas State, and UTSA. Truly a Sumlin special. The jkb74823942 dude posted pages and pages on GigEm247 about what a steal he was. 

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I opted for the high quality version, just like my posting style. You stayed on point with quantity over quality, and as usual Machinator just showed up first. Pretty fitting for all of us. 

Yeah.Well.That'sJustLike.YourOpinion.Man.Gif

17 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

PNG kid right? Maybe he can share with Garth to stay far away. I know most feel he is locked into Texas, every aggy mod mentions him when they mention their 2020 recruiting along the ol and don’t want him to be a Demani Richardson

Don't think we need much help with Garth