2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

Apparently I snagged my camo coveralls the last year I used them. On last years thread someone had a link that had good shit highly discounted. I'm not going back to coveralls. But was trying to remember who it was with the link. Does anyone remember it, or have a good link to some good gear?

CHIEF 

2 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Why not just stitch your coveralls?  

Moving away from coveralls, too hard to pull them off when I need to take a shit. Which always seems to happen as soon as I get completely dressed and about to get in the truck. Gonna go with layers to remedy that.

CHIEF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Apparently I snagged my camo coveralls the last year I used them. On last years thread someone had a link that had good shit highly discounted. I'm not going back to coveralls. But was trying to remember who it was with the link. Does anyone remember it, or have a good link to some good gear?

CHIEF 

CamoFire and their parent company Black Ovis.  Where I get most of my stuff.  Running a mix-match of various brands (more solids that before), but my "main" brand is Badlands fleece lined soft-shell pants and jacket.  Caught them when on sale and added pieces over time.  Only real reason to run camo patterns in Texas is to hide all the blood and mud - especially if hunting in a blind.  

Marmot Scree pants are my go to pants (they make in brown, moss, gray, ec).  They are akin to the old Sitka 90% pants.  DWR soft shell with a micro fleece lining.  

Black Ovis merino wool is great for the price and as good as my FirstLite wool.  As stated, I layer depending on the weather and location.  Solomon boots until it gets really cold, then switch to Danner Elk Hunters.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

CamoFire and their parent company Black Ovis.  Where I get most of my stuff.  Running a mix-match of various brands (more solids that before), but my "main" brand is Badlands fleece lined soft-shell pants and jacket.  Caught them when on sale and added pieces over time.  Only real reason to run camo patterns in Texas is to hide all the blood and mud - especially if hunting in a blind.  

Marmot Scree pants are my go to pants (they make in brown, moss, gray, ec).  They are akin to the old Sitka 90% pants.  DWR soft shell with a micro fleece lining.  

Black Ovis merino wool is great for the price and as good as my FirstLite wool.  As stated, I layer depending on the weather and location.  Solomon boots until it gets really cold, then switch to Danner Elk Hunters.  

Fuck, that didn't take long to spend $683 on CamoFire. Went all Kryptec Highlander pattern. A couple of extra pairs of pants for CHIEF Jr. as well. About half what it would have cost retail. Thanks BY.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CHIEF said:

Fuck, that didn't take long to spend $683 on CamoFire. Went all Kryptec Highlander pattern. A couple of extra pairs of pants for CHIEF Jr. as well. About half what it would have cost retail. Thanks BY.

CHIEF

LOL, I was coveting all that Kryptek gear this AM in fact.  It's a great brand and that highlander pattern is perfect for West and South Texas brush and scrub.  Enjoy!

• Hook 'Em 1

Heh yeah camofire has some decent deals I’ve picked up a couple of game cams from them and some gear.

While I was looking for some new base layers I started wandering around my LEO discounts and decided to pick up a pair of FirstLite Corrugate Foundry pants…. Couldn’t pass them up for $133, went with their OD(whatever they call their version of that color) so I could wear them elsewhere instead of going with a camo pattern

• Hook 'Em 1

I've goose hunted with this guy a few times and fished with him once as well.  Pretty good guide.  Reliable and takes it seriously.  Haven't done a duck hunt, but looks like his rate is $250/gun.  I saw on social media that he still had some duck hunt dates available this season.    

https://www.avianskies.com/

2 hours ago, cattail said:

Anyone here ever hunt Nilgai? Been reading about it and sounds intriguing.

Been on Nilgai hunts, but was not the trigger puller.  The "gray ghost".  Tough as shit.  Often takes multiple shots to put them down, and the guides will often tell you to send a follow up shot even though the first shot was clean.  They get away and into the brush, they are often gone for good.

Meat is as good as elk/axis.  Fantastic.  Lots of them on managed ranches in S.Texas.

Somebody missed and this guy made it to water.  I live next to park land and we have a lot of bucks.  The parks hire shooters to thin the deer out, but probably one of the poachers got this one.  When I hear 3 shots, things probably aren't going well.  

IMG_3646.thumb.jpg.5f7cfbff4b24692ebf98d5c6c305a371.jpg

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Rage+1 2

18 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Somebody missed and this guy made it to water.  I live next to park land and we have a lot of bucks.  The parks hire shooters to thin the deer out, but probably one of the poachers got this one.  When I hear 3 shots, things probably aren't going well.  

IMG_3646.thumb.jpg.5f7cfbff4b24692ebf98d5c6c305a371.jpg

Bet that smells lovely.  Nice rack, but I think I'd leave that alone.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, cattail said:

Anyone here ever hunt Nilgai? Been reading about it and sounds intriguing.

I've hunted them with a bow but haven't tried with a rifle yet. Extremely skittish and once you are busted they are gone for good. The next hunt that I pay for will be nilgai with a rifle. 

Can anyone confirm for me that there is a special doe season (4 days) over the Thanksgiving weekend in Bastrop County?  I checked and it appears that way online and in my Outdoor Annual app but I wanted to triple confirm as sometimes reading those regs. confuses the shit out of me (probably all the reefer and psychedelics eating into the gray matter).

Headed back out on Sunday to help pops fell a few dead trees around the house and will check the feeder/game cam.  SO EXCITE!!  Best time of the year in our great state.

30 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Can anyone confirm for me that there is a special doe season (4 days) over the Thanksgiving weekend in Bastrop County?  I checked and it appears that way online and in my Outdoor Annual app but I wanted to triple confirm as sometimes reading those regs. confuses the shit out of me (probably all the reefer and psychedelics eating into the gray matter).

Headed back out on Sunday to help pops fell a few dead trees around the house and will check the feeder/game cam.  SO EXCITE!!  Best time of the year in our great state.

Why would there be a "special" doe season?  General WTD season is completely open by that date.

What am I missing?

WHITE-TAILED DEER

White-tailed deer season dates
Season Zone Dates
General North Nov. 6 – Jan. 2
South Nov. 6 – Jan. 16
Youth-only North Oct. 30-31 & Jan. 3-16
South Oct. 30-31 & Jan. 3-16
Special Late North Jan. 3-16
South Jan. 17-30
Archery 252 of 254 counties Oct. 2 – Nov. 5
Muzzleloader 90 of 254 counties Jan. 3-16
Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 2

I was under the impression that does could only be taken via MLDP tags for antlerless deer unless it was during this special 4 day window. It’s a relatively recent development from what I read. **clarifying that this is for Bastrop County...I know the special season is only applicable to a handful of counties**

E08490FF-5ABB-4CAA-967D-530C130CDE86.jpeg

Edited by hookemATL

Unless Bastrop county is a throwback county were the county can override TPWD and restrict hunters from taking "anterless" deer.  Does Texas still have those types of backward thinking troglodytes that don't want any does shot?   I thought that was mostly east Texas type counties that treated deer like livestock by not allowing any doe to be taken.  That school of thought needs to go away.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I was under the impression that does could only be taken via MLDP tags for antlerless deer unless it was during this special 4 day window. It’s a relatively recent development from what I read. **clarifying that this is for Bastrop County...I know the special season is only applicable to a handful of counties**

E08490FF-5ABB-4CAA-967D-530C130CDE86.jpeg

apparently Bastrop County is a throwback county.

• Hook 'Em 1

Milam county used to be does only on the weekend after thanksgiving unless enrolled in MLDP. This year, for the first time I can ever recall, the first two weeks of rifle season you can take does. We get out MLD tags after this year so won’t be a problem ever again, but holy shit is this such a stupid and annoying program

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, it used to be just around Thanksgiving for most of East Texas. It's been slowly expanding over the last 15 years or so where most places have the first sixteen days for doe days. Muzzleloader season allows for harvest of does as well if your county has one of those. It's backwards, and it's improved only at a snail's pace.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Believe me, in more ways than one.

Thank the Cajuns. Ok I am only blaming them because that county is so backwards. I assume they lived the "if it's brown it's down" for too long. Our accountant was talking about the short window earlier today.

It probably goes back to when they were nearly wiped out.

As time marched on, more states reported fewer sightings, less venison, fewer buckskins, and eventually a disappearance of whitetail deer all together.  According to “A Whitetail Retrospective,” published by the Boone & Crockett Club, it’s believed there were 500 or fewer deer left in states such as Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri by the turn of the 20th Century. And across Ohio, Illinois, Kansas, Indiana, and Iowa, whitetail deer were believed to be eliminated completely.

The U.S. Biological Survey estimated that the whitetail deer population in America plummeted to around 300,000 individuals by 1890—a cataclysmic 99% decline from estimated highs of 30 million just a few hundred years earlier.

(source: https://www.themeateater.com/wired-to-hunt/whitetail-management/how-the-whitetail-nearly-went-extinct)

There was a huge market for deer and deer skins in Colonial America. Buckskin breeches were all the rage in Europe, and the deer skin trade led to Long Hunters going on extended months long hunting trips just to get skins to send back accross the pond. These backwoodsmen and the skills they developed ould eventually be a big contributing factor in the Revolutionary War. Even the whole pattern of basically wiping out all the big game that the pioneers practiced led to the developement of the American Long Rifle, which was also a big contributing factor in many of the battles of the revolution.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

Mandatory Harvest Reporting for Antlerless White-tailed Deer

Any antlerless deer harvested in the following counties during archery, youth-only, muzzleloader, or the four antlerless deer days during general season is required to be reported within 24 hours of harvest to the department via mobile application or online.

Counties: Austin, Bastrop, Caldwell, Colorado, Comal (East of I-35), De Witt, Fayette, Goliad (North of US 59), Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays (East of I-35), Jackson (north of US 59), Karnes, Lavaca, Lee, Travis (East of I-35), Victoria (North of US 59), Waller, Washington, Wharton (North of US 59), and Wilson.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Wow.  I had no clue about this either.  So, is that being driven by TPWD based on doe/buck ratio and overall count or is it on a county basis?

And, my son has baseball for the second weekend in a row.  Last week was a reschedule, so we missed the youth opener on top of the regular opener.  Hoping we still have some decent weather next weekend because it'll be the first weekend for us to hunt.  

19 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Hoping we still have some decent weather next weekend because it'll be the first weekend for us to hunt.  

You’re not the only one :(   Just got a call this AM and might have to be back onsite to babysit a project going to shit. So, same shit, different year. 

• Rage+1 1

There can be a lot of variations depending on the county you are in.  Number of total deer, number of bucks, size of bucks, and number of doe all vary.

You have to know the rule by county when you're hunting to avoid a costly mistake.

The Tag isn't the only thing that has to identify the county, but the log does as well.

• after a deer is harvested, but before the deer is field-dressed immediately before moving carcass, complete the log, in ink, on the back of the hunting license. Asterisks in the log indicate bucks with an inside main beam spread of at least 13 inches.

Completion of the log is not required for mule deer, or for white-tailed deer or mule deer harvested under a MLDP tag, TPWD Special Drawn Public Hunt permit, or on a Big Time Texas Hunt.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

There can be a lot of variations depending on the county you are in.  Number of total deer, number of bucks, size of bucks, and number of doe all vary.

You have to know the rule by county when you're hunting to avoid a costly mistake.

The Tag isn't the only thing that has to identify the county, but the log does as well.

• after a deer is harvested, but before the deer is field-dressed immediately before moving carcass, complete the log, in ink, on the back of the hunting license. Asterisks in the log indicate bucks with an inside main beam spread of at least 13 inches.

Completion of the log is not required for mule deer, or for white-tailed deer or mule deer harvested under a MLDP tag, TPWD Special Drawn Public Hunt permit, or on a Big Time Texas Hunt.

Some GWs take that shit super seriously.  I saw a GW in Llano go off on a buddy for not filling his tag out properly.  He hadn't completed the log on the license and he had marked the date with pen instead of cutting out out with a knife.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Some GWs take that shit super seriously.  I saw a GW in Llano go off on a buddy for not filling his tag out properly.  He hadn't completed the log on the license and he had marked the date with pen instead of cutting out out with a knife.  

Just like regular cops, there are always those little men with a god complex.

I somehow misplaced my license between tagging my morning does  and the evening hunt last year where I smoked my 13 point. Got to examining him and then went to grab my license and oooooooo shit where the fuck is it?? After a half hour of searching I gave up and called our game warden to explain what happened. He told me to harvest my deer like I would if I had my tags, call him once I get to the processor so he can explain he situation since if they’re reputable they won’t accept an untagged deer, and then be at the regional office in Temple at 8am first thing in the morning to get my replacement license. Then take replacement tags straight to processor and tag accordingly. Dude couldn’t have been more cordial and helpful,  but he also reminded how far it could have been taken if it were a different warden I had gotten hold of. I’m thankful we have a good GW that is truly interested in being good at his job and not just being an asshat.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

That’s pretty standard for most GW I’ve run across.

Once I had a tag that when I tried to cut out the date I slipped and sliced the tag, of course that was the weekend we got checked and he laid into me about it. Eyeroll

I have yet to meet our current GW but one of group has his mom who works for TPWD and she’s let us know he’s supposed to be a good dude. I’ve almost had to contact him when the land tampering started to border hunter harassment but it stopped and I didn’t need to contact him.

I've had to buy a TX replacement license a few times over the years -

Nothing screams fun more than standing in front of a county grocery store waiting for them to open and then finding out their license sales don't start until Marge is good and goddamned ready to head over the the booth.

Thankfully its fast and cheap - luckily I've always figured it out beforehand - Probably jinxed myself.

I’ve never had a bad GW contact.  They’ve always been professional, cordial and easy to work with.  

One stopped in on us right when the WWs started flying to check our licenses.   He checked mine and said I can go ahead and start shooting again.  I pointed out that he and his truck were in the way.  He said to not worry about it and start blasting but don’t shoot him.  

Well, OK!  I moved over about 10 yards and kept my shotgun at 45 degrees up.   The next WW that flew over got smoked, spiraled out and landed at his feet.   He said “nice shot” and stooped over, picked it up and tossed it to me.  

I asked  him if I needed to tip the bird boy.  He grinned and said “no, have fun.”  

• Hook 'Em 1