Ohio State @ Minnesota. 7 pm. FOX

Parliament

Gus played baseball at Howard, but he was a star in Football, Basketball and Baseball in HS in Detroit. He’s been my friend for more than 30 years and knows a fuckton about football.
Edited to add he was fucking 100% wrong about the non-call on the hit

So reach out to him, chew his butt and make certain that he gets his head out his butt in the future.

If a dude gets knocked out at the expense of the defender and at no fault of his own (ducking head, bouncing it off the turf, etc), there is only one adequate solution.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he shows his ass a lot on games but OK.  It was a detroit 1A private school right?

He played in the Catholic League against some of the top competition in the city, that shit in the big city like Detroit and Chicago is not like TAPPS. He played for Jesuit and his arch rival was B.J. Armstrong at Brother Rice. 

Just now, Vito Andolini said:

Or, you could just read the other posts in this thread, but you may have me on ignore. 😀 But EC, I’m on your side. 

Nope. I have no clue how to use the ignore feature yet. I am busy stuffing my face with leftover Chick-fil-A nuggets right now so I'm probably too far behind to catch up lol

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

And he just shrugged off his biggest rivals team getting away with a clear-cut targeting penalty when his broadcast mates were sure of it being a penalty. You'd think a meat chicken man would jump all over that opportunity. 

Or maybe he's professional and doesn't let the name on the jersey affect his opinions?

24 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Gus played baseball at Howard, but he was a star in Football, Basketball and Baseball in HS in Detroit. He’s been my friend for more than 30 years and knows a fuckton about football.

Edited to add he was fucking 100% wrong about the non-call on the hit

You're friends with Gus Johnson? Is he mixed or just a light skinned brother?

3 minutes ago, Tribe171 said:

Or maybe he's professional and doesn't let the name on the jersey affect his opinions?

Could be, sure. But, as a professional, how does he justify his opinion that the incident was not penalty worthy? I mean, that was the literal perfect example of a targeting penalty. 

Just now, ElChupacabra said:

You're friends with Gus Johnson? Is he mixed or just a light skinned brother?

This is a weird subject, but Gus is not mixed race. When we spent a lot of time together he looked more like the photo I’m attaching, but I do see some pics on the web that look a little odd. But in person, he just looks like Gus. He needs to eat more, too skinny these days.

image.jpeg.bc01e676890584fd72be950e035c5507.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

Could be, sure. But, as a professional, how does he justify his opinion that the incident was not penalty worthy? I mean, that was the literal perfect example of a targeting penalty. 

He didn't say it was for sure not a penalty. He said that he hates guys getting ejected for plays like that. The reality is that most people decide targeting calls by whether they would like to see that player removed from the game. Gus' point is that it would be a lot easier to accept the controversial targeting calls if they didn't carry an instant ejection as penalty. All sensible CFB fans are in favor of a flagrant 1 flagrant 2 system for targeting and it's assinine that it hasn't been implemented.

5 minutes ago, Tribe171 said:

He didn't say it was for sure not a penalty. He said that he hates guys getting ejected for plays like that. The reality is that most people decide targeting calls by whether they would like to see that player removed from the game. Gus' point is that it would be a lot easier to accept the controversial targeting calls if they didn't carry an instant ejection as penalty. All sensible CFB fans are in favor of a flagrant 1 flagrant 2 system for targeting and it's assinine that it hasn't been implemented.

He said he didn't think it was a penalty.  It was obviously targeting(Klatt was this close to throwing out a "what the fuck are you talking about?") and the guy should have been ejected and out for the first half of the next game because that is the rule.  as stupid as it is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

He said he didn't think it was a penalty.  It was obviously targeting(Klatt was this close to throwing out a "what the fuck are you talking about?") and the guy should have been ejected and out for the first half of the next game because that is the rule.  as stupid as it is.

I bet if the next opponent wasn’t a top 15 team that the targeting would’ve been called. What a bunch of horseshit 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

This is a weird subject, but Gus is not mixed race. When we spent a lot of time together he looked more like the photo I’m attaching, but I do see some pics on the web that look a little odd. But in person, he just looks like Gus. He needs to eat more, too skinny these days.

image.jpeg.bc01e676890584fd72be950e035c5507.jpeg

Yeah that picture looks vastly different than the Gus Johnson I picture in my mind. I'm assuming it's probably Hollywood makeup that makes him look different but yeah his face is not nearly as full as that. 

Yeah the little penalties each way weren't an issue. But when a receiver fumbles a ball specifically because he got earholed by the crown of a defender's helmet and lost consciousness for a moment, it's absolutely indefensible not to make that call.

I mean forget about the game because Ohio State still would have won at that point, but if the NCAA and conferences are going to pretend to care about athletes' safety, the entire reason for targeting rules, then you can't miss that.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

That PI no-call was the dagger for me. That was as obvious as PI gets. 

The one where the tOSU corner grabbed the MN receivers are when the ball not not anywhere near?  3rd qtr?  That was such an obvious no-call that stalled the drive when the game was very much a toss up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah the little penalties each way weren't an issue. But when a receiver fumbles a ball specifically because he got earholed by the crown of a defender's helmet and lost consciousness for a moment, it's absolutely indefensible not to make that call.

I mean forget about the game because Ohio State still would have won at that point, but if the NCAA and conferences are going to pretend to care about athletes' safety, the entire reason for targeting rules, then you can't miss that.

Can't have them roll into next week minus a starter of defense......

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The one where the tOSU corner grabbed the MN receivers are when the ball not not anywhere near?  3rd qtr?  That was such an obvious no-call that stalled the drive when the game was very much a toss up.  

The one where the receiver almost made a one handed catch with his left hand, because his right arm had been held by the corner. 

• Hook 'Em 2

There are bad calls and missed calls in every game. Overturning OSU’s interception because a defender barely grazed the Gopher QB’s helmet with his elbow was a pretty weak call that went Minnesota’s way. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Grazed the helmet with his elbow? I missed this one but it sure sounds like bullshit to me.

That ain’t no grazing of the helmet. Forearm to the side of the head to coincide with a push.

The rule is pretty weak but that was a reasonable interpretation of the rule. Dude showed no desire to let up with the arm.

But he could have obliterated the QB and didn’t so props to him I guess.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

That ain’t no grazing of the helmet. Forearm to the side of the head to coincide with a push.

The rule is pretty weak but that was a reasonable interpretation of the rule. Dude showed no desire to let up with the arm.

But he could have obliterated the QB and didn’t so props to him I guess.

Watch more football. You’ll rarely see that degree of contact get flagged. Morgan probably sold it a little bit so good for him. But pay attention and you’ll see the exact same thing go uncalled all the time. 

38 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Holy shit, he hit him in the head with his forearm and knocked him down after the pass was thrown.    It was a legit call.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Watch more football. You’ll rarely see that degree of contact get flagged. Morgan probably sold it a little bit so good for him. But pay attention and you’ll see the exact same thing go uncalled all the time. 

You have me agreeing with Johnny Sack and Baba Yaga.  What the fuck have you done?

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That rarely gets called on Texas QBs but otherwise every other team gets that call.  

I watch plenty but very rarely is my head up my ass while doing so.

I wouldn’t say that’s called all the time but certainly more than half. Morgan may have sold it too so when the head turns and a forearm is against his his head while doing so it’s getting called often.
  • Haha 1