The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 1/19/2024 at 11:29 AM, Gladeite said:

Was at Russell Korman yesterday getting a link taken out and BS a little with the sales lady.  The Rolex watches they have on display are not theirs.  They are rep watches from Rolex so customers can see different models.  They change them out frequently.  They do not have any in stock that you can purchase.  You get on a waiting list and pay retail whenever that comes in.  My 118 series day/date is trading at $34,600.  Plain rose gold/stainless date is $15,000.  Platinum chronograph $77,500.  They are waiting for their first shipment of preowned and reconditioned Rolex watches.  Told me Rolex is getting into this space in a big way and expects to dominate the resale game.  

The "waiting list" is basically a piece of paper that they use to take your name and number saying they'll add you to their electronic list but instead toss in the trash when you leave... 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

The "waiting list" is basically a piece of paper that they use to take your name and number saying they'll add you to their electronic list but instead toss in the trash when you leave... 

Unless you buy a bunch of shit from them.  Fuck that racket.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/19/2024 at 11:29 AM, Gladeite said:

Was at Russell Korman yesterday getting a link taken out and BS a little with the sales lady.  The Rolex watches they have on display are not theirs.  They are rep watches from Rolex so customers can see different models.  They change them out frequently.  They do not have any in stock that you can purchase.  You get on a waiting list and pay retail whenever that comes in.  My 118 series day/date is trading at $34,600.  Plain rose gold/stainless date is $15,000.  Platinum chronograph $77,500.  They are waiting for their first shipment of preowned and reconditioned Rolex watches.  Told me Rolex is getting into this space in a big way and expects to dominate the resale game.  

I've bought several watches from Korman and am a pretty decent spender there. They lie to my face about watches all the time. Can't really trust what they tell you in store...it's a big turn off. 

• Rage+1 1

So at the risk of violating protocol, I have a Sinn I’m looking to sell.  What are my options if I don’t have any rep on Reddit or watchuseek?

I’d appreciate thoughts, can take things dm, etc, given I haven’t posted on this thread in a while.  

On 1/22/2024 at 8:15 PM, Slacks said:

PXL_20240120_175512723_MP.thumb.jpg.7cc601673ba7cb6b2feba0bf5b9154f3.jpg

Suspicious. 

what makes it better?

5 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

So at the risk of violating protocol, I have a Sinn I’m looking to sell.  What are my options if I don’t have any rep on Reddit or watchuseek?

I’d appreciate thoughts, can take things dm, etc, given I haven’t posted on this thread in a while.  

Try chrono24 and ebay. If you want to be screwed by a gray market dealer and you're in Austin, Bernard Watches might buy it off you.

2 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

what makes it better?

Try chrono24 and ebay. If you want to be screwed by a gray market dealer and you're in Austin, Bernard Watches might buy it off you.

They already offered me a lol price and I bounced. that’s why I’m asking here. I figured I was looking at Chrono24, but Inthought I asked.

If anyone is interested in an 856 UTC, hit me up. 

22 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

what makes it better?

Coaxial escapment, Master chronometer cert, COSC cert, better resale, James Bond, Olympics, Buzz Aldrin, Suspicious. 

Edited by Slacks

They already offered me a lol price and I bounced. that’s why I’m asking here. I figured I was looking at Chrono24, but Inthought I asked.

If anyone is interested in an 856 UTC, hit me up. 
Chrono24 is good. eBay takes such a large %.

On 1/24/2024 at 6:45 PM, Slacks said:

Coaxial escapment, Master chronometer cert, COSC cert, better resale, James Bond, Olympics, Buzz Aldrin, Suspicious. 

Honestly, Omega and Breitling reside in the same mid-tier category among watch enthusiasts. Both are now in the hands of holding companies, Omega with Swatch Group and Breitling with some investment firm. Resale for both is atrocious, Omega slapped everything except their moon watch with "sea master" and with the exception of some re-editions and Breiling Premiers, Breitling's Navitimers can be pretty garish. I'd stack the b01 movement up against an Omega chronograph movement. Both Omega and Breitling have COSC certifications, Rolex was the original James Bond watch anyway, and the first watch in space was actually Scott Carpenter's Breitling Cosmonaute.

Arguing over which is better is like arguing Toyota versus Honda.

Edited by ChickenNuggets

Picked up an Uncle Straps f/k/a Uncle Seiko bracelet for my Speedmaster. I have the previous generation watch and wanted a bracelet similar to the current version without having to sell a kidney. Pretty cool change for $160. The clasp even looks like the Omega bracelet. I didn't really have a problem with the OEM bracelet, just like the change in appearance. May look into something similar for my Seamaster. c04a60c53881dcb6b4886f52f4d45913.jpgfc7c4255a2f557f3d42a0e2fa65bf05e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

That's pretty slick. I haven't heard of Uncle Straps before - how does he make the metal bracelets? Is he designing the links themselves and sending the design to a forge house?
No idea. I assume they are made in China.

20 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Honestly, Omega and Breitling reside in the same mid-tier category among watch enthusiasts. Both are now in the hands of holding companies, Omega with Swatch Group and Breitling with some investment firm. Resale for both is atrocious, Omega slapped everything except their moon watch with "sea master" and with the exception of some re-editions and Breiling Premiers, Breitling's Navitimers can be pretty garish. I'd stack the b01 movement up against an Omega chronograph movement. Both Omega and Breitling have COSC certifications, Rolex was the original James Bond watch anyway, and the first watch in space was actually Scott Carpenter's Breitling Cosmonaute.

I drive a Toyota and wear a Speedmaster... 

At least today I do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Honestly, Omega and Breitling reside in the same mid-tier category among watch enthusiasts.

I’ve never had an Omega but during my 30’s I had to have a big gangster Breatling Bentley. It’s the only watch I’ve ever owned that I had to send back in for repairs (not maintenance) several times.  Will never buy one again and I never wear it.  Not sure why I still let it take up space in the spinner rather than just dumping it because it’s not going to appreciate.  

21 hours ago, Atxracer said:

I’ve never had an Omega but during my 30’s I had to have a big gangster Breatling Bentley. It’s the only watch I’ve ever owned that I had to send back in for repairs (not maintenance) several times.  Will never buy one again and I never wear it.  Not sure why I still let it take up space in the spinner rather than just dumping it because it’s not going to appreciate.  

Breitling has a shitty history of using multiple suppliers for its movements. However, about a decade ago, they built a really solid chronograph movement, B01 that's one of the most robust in the business. It's what's powering all of their modern chronographs. 

On 1/25/2024 at 7:32 PM, ChickenNuggets said:

Just like Omega >> Breitling every day of the week, Toyota >> Honda every day of the week, and doubly so on weekdays.

Comparing Swatch Group ownership to Partners Group ownership is insane, one is a watch company from day one, with serious watchmaking staff throughout every company under its umbrella, and one is an investment firm that just...bought a hygiene paper product company, sold a cloud software company, bought an energy infrastructure inspection company, sold part of a wind farm, and bought a biogas platform.

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

Just like Omega >> Breitling every day of the week, Toyota >> Honda every day of the week, and doubly so on weekdays.

Comparing Swatch Group ownership to Partners Group ownership is insane, one is a watch company from day one, with serious watchmaking staff throughout every company under its umbrella, and one is an investment firm that just...bought a hygiene paper product company, sold a cloud software company, bought an energy infrastructure inspection company, sold part of a wind farm, and bought a biogas platform.

Way to do your research 👍👍. Both are mid-tier, mass-produced watches. And Swatch has fucked every company it's gotten its greedy hands on. Same with Richemont. Independents is where it's at.

Like arguing with my brothers kids or something... 

Edited by ChickenNuggets
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't even know what you're trying to say here.  I'm saying Toyota still makes great cars and always has.

Its the same boring vehicle through its life, during which period honda introduced lightweight affordable sporting cars with sophisticated suspension (2x wishbone), vtec, the nsx, type r variants, the s2000, ad infinitum. 

then honda went into their CRV phase in the last decade while mazda took over its mantle as the sporty’ish mainstream japanese brand. 

toyota has started a bit of an exciting revival with their RWD and AWD sports car (even though 2 of them were co-devs)…. but the Landcruiser isnt it. Good on you if you like em though. 

20 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Its the same boring vehicle through its life, during which period honda introduced lightweight affordable sporting cars with sophisticated suspension (2x wishbone), vtec, the nsx, type r variants, the s2000, ad infinitum. 

then honda went into their CRV phase in the last decade while mazda took over its mantle as the sporty’ish mainstream japanese brand. 

toyota has started a bit of an exciting revival with their RWD and AWD sports car (even though 2 of them were co-devs)…. but the Landcruiser isnt it. Good on you if you like em though. 

My 2021 has 40k miles and has never been to the dealership except the day I bought it. The 2002 has 240k on it and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country tomorrow. They just run and run and they are perfect mountain vehicles.  Incredibly capable offroaders, too.  And the 2021 is still worth almost what I paid for it 3 years ago.  The 2002 is worth more than I paid for it.

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

My 2021 has 40k miles and has never been to the dealership except the day I bought it. The 2002 has 240k on it and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country tomorrow. They just run and run and they are perfect mountain vehicles.  Incredibly capable offroaders, too.  And the 2021 is still worth almost what I paid for it 3 years ago.  The 2002 is worth more than I paid for it.

Theres a gigantic fleet of J60 landcruisers in africa serving safari duties, and the middle east terrorists are almost synonymous with hilux trucks (because they cant be killed). 

Those cars are now in the toyota lore. The modern landcruiser might be good, but i just dont think its the leading testament as to ‘what makes toyota good’. Maybe 30 more years from now…

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Theres a gigantic fleet of J60 landcruisers in africa serving safari duties, and the middle east terrorists are almost synonymous with hilux trucks (because they cant be killed). 

Those cars are now in the toyota lore. The modern landcruiser might be good, but i just dont think its the leading testament as to ‘what makes toyota good’. Maybe 30 more years from now…

Most people weren't willing to pay what they cost to make, which is why we don't have them anymore in the US until the new Prado gets here later this year.  They are amazing vehicles, though.  I'm not aware of any other car or truck that is designed to last 25 years.  They're incredibly overbuilt.  But that costs money.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/31/2024 at 3:55 PM, Chewbacca said:

My 2002 and 2021 Landcruisers laugh at you.

I bought a '21 heritage LC200 too. Had a guy at the Bucees outside of Houston ask me to name my price for it last year.

On 1/31/2024 at 8:46 PM, JimmyTwoTimes said:

Shameless plug for Chrono24…just bought a JLC through them, secure, prompt, and professional service. Will buy through them again.

Nice, share pics once it comes in!

On 1/31/2024 at 5:26 PM, Chewbacca said:

change your own oil?

On 2/10/2024 at 12:05 PM, HoustonHorn said:

Probably as close to owning an MB&F as I'll ever get. 2024_0210_11572600.jpg

For anyone else wondering that hasn't seen that watch before, this is how you tell the time with it (it's actually quite clever and efficient): 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

For anyone else wondering that hasn't seen that watch before, this is how you tell the time with it (it's actually quite clever and efficient): 

spacer.png

That’s pretty awesome. Kind of Star Trek executive from the top. Cool side readout. 

getting this guy in the mail.  a full, thick milky porcelain dial, not just enamel coating.  it joins a king seiko and a grand seiko in my japanese group.  last missing piece i would want is citizen caliber 0200.

L1280510-copy.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

getting this guy in the mail.  a full, thick milky porcelain dial, not just enamel coating.  it joins a king seiko and a grand seiko in my japanese group.  last missing piece i would want is citizen caliber 0200.
L1280510-copy.jpg

What size is the watch?

L1280510-copy.jpg

She’s a beaut, Clark! Which KS and GS do you have?

GS spring drive may be my next splurge watch

4 hours ago, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:

She’s a beaut, Clark! Which KS and GS do you have?

GS spring drive may be my next splurge watch

GS SBGA129
KS SPB281J1 

dirty secret is im starting to prefer the KS for its case design and smaller size. also sorta want a vintage KS that has the gold colored coin on the back. newer one is in silver/steel

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1