Back away from the ledge!! It's not as bad as you think ....yet.

Thatguy

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

That’s true enough, and if it was just him I’d put it in context, but it’s coming from Scipio,  Ian Boyd, all the guys on the 4th & 5 podcast as well. Brian Jones apparently recognized a lot of our team deficiencies after the ULL game. Babers is not really an outlier after this game. 

Nobody should be writing off Sark and this staff after two games, but as a fan base we’ve become pretty good at recognizing the early warning signs. Maybe it will be a good thing that all the poisons hatched out of the mud in one early game so that they can be identified and improved upon.  I sure hope so. 

Was not contradicting your previous point, just pointing out that Babers leans way too heavily to the negative, probably to get more listeners...

Scipio Tex probably is the best source for analysis on TEXAS Football imo -- and he does a good job of providing a better more balanced analysis.  Scipio definitely called out the coaches for a terrible Arky gameplan...

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Thatguy said:

All Steve needs is a competent O line, Bijan will take care of the rest. 

I think the biggest indictment of Sark and the offensive staff so far is that he looked at this O-Line personnel and didn't make O-Line a massive priority in the transfer portal.  Someone that follows more closely can correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed like I continued to see reporting that Texas wasn't even trying to get in on the handful of potential starters.   I don't know if that's poor evaluation of what you have or overconfidence that you can out-scheme your poor O-Line, but whatever it is, it's a massive fuckup.

Edited by Skipper
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

The French leadership at Agincourt would agree with you completely. Just because the English intercepted their plans, doesn’t mean they should reconsider the strategy. It worked out so well for them, they became so famous for this decision.

Charging the machine gun lines with infantry in an open field was another brilliant tactic that should not have been abandoned. All those boys needed was one good push.

Lol.

2000 Nick Saban walked into Baton Rouge. LSU got smacked by Auburn 17-34 in game 3. They followed that up by losing to a 7-4 UAB team at home, only scoring 10 points in the game. Two games later they ended up getting run over by Florida 9-41. Up to that point Nick coached Toledo for one year to a 9-2 record, then went 6-5, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, and 9-2 at Michigan State. Fours years into his tenure at LSU they won a NC.

4 games in Nick Saban lost to UAB at home BEFORE he had all the skins on the wall. Almost every coach taking over a job has some type of growing pains. Saban lost to ULM at Bama to. Good thing they held onto him.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lol.

2000 Nick Saban walked into Baton Rouge. LSU got smacked by Auburn 17-34 in game 3. They followed that up by losing to a 7-4 UAB team at home, only scoring 10 points in the game. Two games later they ended up getting run over by Florida 9-41. Up to that point Nick coached Toledo for one year to a 9-2 record, then went 6-5, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, and 9-2 at Michigan State. Fours years into his tenure at LSU they won a NC.

4 games in Nick Saban lost to UAB at home BEFORE he had all the skins on the wall. Almost every coach taking over a job has some type of growing pains. Saban lost to ULM at Bama to. Good thing they held onto him.

Perspective . . . it's a thing.

Reese Moore .8997
Javonne Sheherd .8958
Willie Tyler .8367

Don't know if that is a high # of washouts relative to other programs or not. Meanwhile on the roster we have:
Rafiti Ghirmai, Tyler Johnson, Hookfin

I don't understand how Ghirmai was ever rated a 4*

Kid may never play a single snap for us
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ok folks. It’s time to washout that taste of moonshine vomit and wipe the pig semen off the small of our back. I feel like our line will make significant improvements in areas by TCU but we will be vulnerable AF if we can’t get our QB to stand in the pocket and instinctively know when to pull it down and go. 

Honeymoon is over. We are gonna see if guys got woke up or are gonna bitch out.

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lol.

Michael Dell dropped out of school too and so did Bill Gates.  I guess my niece that dropped out of college is gonna be a billionaire!  Whooohoooo!  

The problem with your earlier post was about abandoning concepts that do not work.  Tom Herman had this problem and Bill Snyder never did.  If Snyder saw that the opponent could not stop a play, he would run it over and over until it was stopped or until he won the game.   Tom would stop running what worked, and seemed to go with what he planned pregame over what happened during the game.   Tom rotated the shit out of players possibly because he was used to stocking talent that was about the same.  So Wiley and Brewer were the same guy to him.  Bijan and D. Young are the same guy to him.   Sark seems to have some similar traits.   The problem wasn't that we lost a game.  The problem was that we looked like complete shit and out line looked like they had no idea what they were supposed to do.  What is troubling was that every single fan knew we had a problem on the line and they took zero steps to correct it.   

Listen to Pitman before the game.  He watched the Alabama and Texas games from the previous year as part of his preparation.   Our coach couldn't be bothered to look into film to see if we had problems we needed correcting?   That is his job.  Adjusting his gameplan in game is his job.  Getting after the refs for the repeated missed targeting was also his job.  

Comparisons to Saban are as absurd as my first two sentences.   Maybe Sark turns it around, but this showing was something I expect from someone paid far less than him.   Hell, my 9 yr olds baseball team has better coaching to date.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched some of the replay last night. Rewound and rewound a few times.

The offensive line was not really manhandled. Actually they double teamed the hell outta Arkansas. They just forgot there was a second level. I think game 2 with a new system is the issue. Too many missed assignments. And too many to make a claim one way or another on the Olines physical abilities. Jones does look the part occasionally and more often than you think. But his noticeable misses are glaring. I don’t think the transfer Portal would have helped our issues that tremendously. Their 3-man front wearing our oline out is off base. They had 3 backers with double digit tackles. But part of that is we doubled some guys and left them to run free.

Card did settle down some. The fumble was a bit of poor luck. The 4th down to Bijan was atrocious. We didn’t have enough blockers on that side for hat on hat. And I’m not sure what the motion was to accomplish. Gotta hit the open guys. The 4th down play call and 2nd play of the 2nd half slip screen to Whittington were terrible play calls based on how they attacked. Would have never worked.

There were two sequences in which momentum was huge. Starting with the miss to Whittington in the end zone in the 1st half then the series with the ArKansas 45 yard pass in the 2nd.

In my opinion, the defense should not have been tired. And I don’t think they were. They too blew assignments many of which were poor angles or paths to the ball. Arkansas took advantage whereas we did not.

Obviously we have limitations, but a lot of mistakes are correctable. Will it get corrected and when are different questions. Once we get confidence in knowing the system and play faster, it should be noticeable.

Still on the 10 win train.

• Hook 'Em 6

33 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

As a fan base we're like a scorned woman that's been treated shitty by a couple guys and now projects that onto every guy they meet.

Meh,  I think the shine came off not because we lost but because we looked completely lost on offense which is his direct responsibility.   If you hire an employee and the dude shows up late, out of sorts and loses an account by being unprepared, you might no longer care that he graduated from some nice school or what someone wrote in their recommendation letter.   It is natural to think we got foisted.  (relax futureman, I said FOISTED).   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Lol.

LSU was 3-8 in 1999. Growing pains aside, 8-4 in 2000 was an immediate sign that LSU had something going with Saban.

Yes, Saban's Bama lost to ULM in 2007. In that year, though, Bama's worst loss was by 7 points (4 times).

Sark inherited a 7-3 team that has won 4 straight bowl games. I'm not going to discount the many deficiencies in the program that Sark inherited, but comparisons to Saban's results are ridiculous. Saban improved the situation in his first years at both SEC stops. Sark has us taking a giant step back two games in. We'll see if he can recover, but any opinion that the early returns are anything but massively disappointing is worthless.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok folks. It’s time to washout that taste of moonshine vomit and wipe the pig semen off the small of our back. I feel like our line will make significant improvements in areas by TCU but we will be vulnerable AF if we can’t get our QB to stand in the pocket and instinctively know when to pull it down and go. 
Honeymoon is over. We are gonna see if guys got woke up or are gonna bitch out.

The line isn’t going to be any better by TCU. The questions are 1.) Does Casey Thompson play any better than Card in less than ideal situations - under pressure, on the road, whatever? 2.) Do the coaches recognize the limits of this OL and adjust game plans accordingly.

16 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Comparing this game to Agincourt is just silly.  This was clearly a Teutoburg forest game- fired up barbarians on their home turf and all.

Both massacres, none the less.....outcomes and such. 

It bothers me when I hear that other teams "give their best against Texas, Superbowl," etc...question, why can't we seem to "get up " for games? Why does  it take a beat down?

Even then, Maryland 2 was not a revenge game, nor the multiple Sooner spankings. As underdogs, sometimes we would come out to play from the opening kick, (Georgia), but all too often we come out flat. Wasn't a lot of intensity last Saturday, not by player, not by coaches, that is worrisome to me, game 2. Once a season maybe I understand it,but now it seems to be the rule.

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

2.) Do the coaches recognize the limits of this OL and adjust game plans accordingly.

Agreed, yours was more the point I was trying to make. I’m not under the delusion our guys are going to make significant strides, but feel the pieces are workable to get shit together. 

52 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

In my opinion, the defense should not have been tired. And I don’t think they were. They too blew assignments many of which were poor angles or paths to the ball. Arkansas took advantage whereas we did not.

Equally concerning was the large number of missed tackles. thats defensive fundamentals 101. My battered longhorn syndrome flashbacks lead to believe its likely to be a problem all season long rather than just being a case of "an off week". 

17 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

PFF Grades from ARK - https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-longhorns-football-pff-grades-arkansas-razorbacks-loss-week-two-report-card/

DMO with a surprisingly terrible grade. Jamison too which I assume is mainly because of the one long ball. Majors with an 11.9 pass block grade!

It's been covered a million times, but PFF's college grading is very hit or miss.

1 hour ago, softlynow said:

LSU was 3-8 in 1999. Growing pains aside, 8-4 in 2000 was an immediate sign that LSU had something going with Saban.

Yes, Saban's Bama lost to ULM in 2007. In that year, though, Bama's worst loss was by 7 points (4 times).

Sark inherited a 7-3 team that has won 4 straight bowl games. I'm not going to discount the many deficiencies in the program that Sark inherited, but comparisons to Saban's results are ridiculous. Saban improved the situation in his first years at both SEC stops. Sark has us taking a giant step back two games in. We'll see if he can recover, but any opinion that the early returns are anything but massively disappointing is worthless.

Taking a team from shitty to decent is that hard. Elevating a team from good to dominant is hard. You're also missing the part where we replaced a 3+ year starting QB with a redshirt freshman.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Taking a team from shitty to decent is that hard. Elevating a team from good to dominant is hard. You're also missing the part where we replaced a 3+ year starting QB with a redshirt freshman.

The loss of Sam Cosmi was also a big one. Jones is a massive drop off there so far.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, DaysOff said:

The transfer portal isn't flush with competent OL. If it was that easy everyone would do it.

I think TCU, Notre Dame, WVU and Louisville each got a starter.  Think OU did as well.   Our OL is not only shit but we have no depth.  You telling me there weren't numerous bodies that would have immediately fit in our 2 deep if not started?  From what I recall we didn't even try to go after any of these guys.

On 9/12/2021 at 7:42 PM, Thatguy said:

My bad on the who on the sideline angle. But yes, we completely didn't even attempt the trap block and the result is 4 guys standing there while the man that was supposed to get blocked blows up the play almost immediately. That kind of stupidity can be fixed with corching. Below is Bama, running it how its supposed to be run at the very start of the video.

Is that a couple of our OL running the drill at the end of the video?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

The line isn’t going to be any better by TCU. The questions are 1.) Does Casey Thompson play any better than Card in less than ideal situations - under pressure, on the road, whatever? 2.) Do the coaches recognize the limits of this OL and adjust game plans accordingly.

Bingo. Although it's possible we see some minor improvement in OL play, i.e., coordination, assignment integrity, we shouldn't expect too much. And they clearly won't get any bigger, faster, stronger in 2 or 3 weeks. So the two questions above are right on target. The answers, well, we'll see. 

13 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

That was Sark's choice. Its not like Casey asked to be the second string guy, or refused to come into the game prior to the 4th quarter. Casey has been here since 2018, so I don't give that redshirt freshman excuse much credence. Who knows.... maybe Sark knows that Casey is the better option right now, but thinks grooming Card now is the best long term option. He is the head coach and thats his choice, but he also deserves the criticism for making those calls. Sark gets paid a shit ton of money to make the right decisions. Keep making the wrong decisions and you lose your job.  Thats the gig.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/12/2021 at 9:54 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

No doubt?  You have no doubt, huh?

And fuck the “two recruiting classes” noise. If he doesn’t make appreciable changes this year, and finish with an aughts-type record in his second year, he’s not the coach for us, and even if he does that in Year 2, he still might not be the guy, as Herman showed us in ‘19 and ‘20. 

This.

Matt Rhule took over a Baylor dumpster fire and by year 3 they won 11 games.  The tools are there for Sark.  We just have to put it together and we should be able to win 9 games. 

1 hour ago, softlynow said:

Let me reiterate. Saban lost to UAB. Not Arkansas on the road. UAB at home. UAB is in conference USA. He lost to them with LSU. 3-8 doesn't fucking matter. He lost to a C-USA team with an upper echelon SEC team. That is a worse loss than Arky on the road. ULM at home is a worse loss than Arky on the road as well.

The point is you guys only have perspective when it's your perspective and it fits your narrative. We had a 4 year starter at QB who is currently in the NFL. Our best lineman from last year is in the NFL. Eagles, Smith, and Black all gone as well. We have to replace all those pieces, so it stands to reason that when you combine these losses, with a brand new scheme and coaching staff, that the transition will be tough. The PTSD around here is off the charts. How bout we just let it play out. We could lose 5 more games. Then again we could run the table.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Equally concerning was the large number of missed tackles. thats defensive fundamentals 101. My battered longhorn syndrome flashbacks lead to believe its likely to be a problem all season long rather than just being a case of "an off week". 

Very well could be a season long issue, but I’m turning on the positive mode of thinking. I’m going with more in tune with scheme expectations making us a step quicker thus better tackling opportunities. As bad as the offense was, the defense is just as concerning.

Ultimately it’s still two games so we don’t really know. New staff and schemes after staff changes the prior year and Covid too. I can see getting up to speed taking longer. And on offense, the offensive line has guys moving around from their previous spots so just one other factor.

And not that it plays in here, but I’ve been watching some younger kids play sub-high school. Hitting and tackling and really learning the game are limited compared to what it once was. With wide open offenses and that background, great tackling may be less than it used to be. You don’t notice missed tackles as much with swarming defenses that the second and third guys cleaning up quickly.

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Michael Dell dropped out of school too and so did Bill Gates.  I guess my niece that dropped out of college is gonna be a billionaire!  Whooohoooo!  

The problem with your earlier post was about abandoning concepts that do not work.  Tom Herman had this problem and Bill Snyder never did.  If Snyder saw that the opponent could not stop a play, he would run it over and over until it was stopped or until he won the game.   Tom would stop running what worked, and seemed to go with what he planned pregame over what happened during the game.   Tom rotated the shit out of players possibly because he was used to stocking talent that was about the same.  So Wiley and Brewer were the same guy to him.  Bijan and D. Young are the same guy to him.   Sark seems to have some similar traits.   The problem wasn't that we lost a game.  The problem was that we looked like complete shit and out line looked like they had no idea what they were supposed to do.  What is troubling was that every single fan knew we had a problem on the line and they took zero steps to correct it.   

Listen to Pitman before the game.  He watched the Alabama and Texas games from the previous year as part of his preparation.   Our coach couldn't be bothered to look into film to see if we had problems we needed correcting?   That is his job.  Adjusting his gameplan in game is his job.  Getting after the refs for the repeated missed targeting was also his job.  

Comparisons to Saban are as absurd as my first two sentences.   Maybe Sark turns it around, but this showing was something I expect from someone paid far less than him.   Hell, my 9 yr olds baseball team has better coaching to date.  

What you are saying makes no sense. You are suggesting a coach change his scheme based on the fact that we did alright running OZ last year with a completely different line. No Cosmi. Guys in different positions. This is not the same team. We had a dude that plays for the Colts now behind that line that kept teams honest. This line hasn't shown THIS YEAR, that they can run anything well. All they have shown over the last two games is that they can consistently miss assignments.

Also, Snyder absolutely had a scheme that he ran and even recruited for it. As long as I can remember Snyder used his QB as a runner. He almost always had a guy who was nimble on his feet, some more than others. Sure he would run plays over and over that were working but he didn't change his style.

Lastly, we are bitching about the play calling, but the reality is we STILL had many chances to win if we are hitting the throws we got and not overthrowing them and dropping passes. So a lot of the plays were good, we just didn't hit on them. Same with the counter play. The play was there, we just missed a block that blew the thing up. If Junior and Bijan turn that corner there is a lot of daylight to be had.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Blotto said:

That was Sark's choice. Its not like Casey asked to be the second string guy, or refused to come into the game prior to the 4th quarter. Casey has been here since 2018, so I don't give that redshirt freshman excuse much credence. Who knows.... maybe Sark knows that Casey is the better option right now, but thinks grooming Card now is the best long term option. He is the head coach and thats his choice, but he also deserves the criticism for making those calls. Sark gets paid a shit ton of money to make the right decisions. Keep making the wrong decisions and you lose your job.  Thats the gig.

Boy, I wonder if there's any QB development of Sark's that we could look at outside of 2 games at Texas.

4 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Boy, I wonder if there's any QB development of Sark's that we could look at outside of 2 games at Texas.

there's plenty. none of which has anything to do starting a redshirt freshman over a guy thats been here longer. I was simply stating that he had a choice, and it backfired. Sure Sark has a track record of successfully developing QBs. He also has a track record of as a head coach of less than 60% winning percentage. I personally only give a shit about what he does now in Austin as our head coach, because if he simply maintains his historical pace, he'll be gone in 3-4 years. 

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Watched some of the replay last night. Rewound and rewound a few times.

The offensive line was not really manhandled. Actually they double teamed the hell outta Arkansas. They just forgot there was a second level. I think game 2 with a new system is the issue. Too many missed assignments. And too many to make a claim one way or another on the Olines physical abilities. Jones does look the part occasionally and more often than you think. But his noticeable misses are glaring. I don’t think the transfer Portal would have helped our issues that tremendously. Their 3-man front wearing our oline out is off base. They had 3 backers with double digit tackles. But part of that is we doubled some guys and left them to run free.

Card did settle down some. The fumble was a bit of poor luck. The 4th down to Bijan was atrocious. We didn’t have enough blockers on that side for hat on hat. And I’m not sure what the motion was to accomplish. Gotta hit the open guys. The 4th down play call and 2nd play of the 2nd half slip screen to Whittington were terrible play calls based on how they attacked. Would have never worked.

There were two sequences in which momentum was huge. Starting with the miss to Whittington in the end zone in the 1st half then the series with the ArKansas 45 yard pass in the 2nd.

Obviously we have limitations, but a lot of mistakes are correctable. Will it get corrected and when are different questions. Once we get confidence in knowing the system and play faster, it should be noticeable.

Still on the 10 win train.

Every news outlet speaks of the line getting manhandled. It didn't. Guys were taking turns missing their assignments. The same guy who missed his assignment one play, would turn around and handle the same dude the next. Guys would double team a guy and not see a guy fly past them.

The defense played light in the box all night, and thus they were getting washed out by the sheer amount of bodies all night long. They had a hat for every guy we had plus they were reading one of our linemen, so that effectively gave them a plus 1. Asking them to fight off blocks all night long against a big physical team is tough sledding. Wouldn't have been my gameplan but maybe PK knows something about our back end and coverage ability that we don't. Maybe he is protecting some weaknesses.

Lastly, defense is emotion and effort. All too often in games like this, the defense starts deflating late when the game is getting out of hand. They are humans. They know how to count just like we do. I am not in anyway saying its right, but sometimes a defense mails it in when the math starts saying there is no way they can catch up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Let me reiterate. Saban lost to UAB. Not Arkansas on the road. UAB at home. UAB is in conference USA. He lost to them with LSU. 3-8 doesn't fucking matter. He lost to a C-USA team with an upper echelon SEC team. That is a worse loss than Arky on the road. ULM at home is a worse loss than Arky on the road as well.

The point is you guys only have perspective when it's your perspective and it fits your narrative. We had a 4 year starter at QB who is currently in the NFL. Our best lineman from last year is in the NFL. Eagles, Smith, and Black all gone as well. We have to replace all those pieces, so it stands to reason that when you combine these losses, with a brand new scheme and coaching staff, that the transition will be tough. The PTSD around here is off the charts. How bout we just let it play out. We could lose 5 more games. Then again we could run the table.

The perspective is backed up by any competent analysis of this game. It was a total coaching failure. Your rejoinders are “hey look, this successful guy had bad games too!” So what?

Your examples lack context. When presented with it you discount it, while claiming only we are ignoring inconvenient facts. Do you actually mean to be persuasive when you come at us with like “it fits your narrative” and “3-8 doesn’t matter” in the same post? Do you not see what you did there?

Sark may ultimately succeed here. Stranger shit has happened in sports. We should be comforted by the early travails of the arguably the greatest cfb coach of all time when his trajectory is 1. not at all similar to Sark’s and 2. obviously an outlier among coaches whose first years are mediocre to bad? Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The failure of every Rutgers coach other than Greg Schiano and every Kansas coach other than Mangino is proof enough your first statement is wrong.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Every news outlet speaks of the line getting manhandled. It didn't. Guys were taking turns missing their assignments. The same guy who missed his assignment one play, would turn around and handle the same dude the next. Guys would double team a guy and not see a guy fly past them.

One correction: Majors did get manhandled. Othwerwise, agree.

4 minutes ago, softlynow said:

The perspective is backed up by any competent analysis of this game. It was a total coaching failure. Your rejoinders are “hey look, this successful guy had bad games too!” So what?

Your examples lack context. When presented with it you discount it, while claiming only we are ignoring inconvenient facts. Do you actually mean to be persuasive when you come at us with like “it fits your narrative” and “3-8 doesn’t matter” in the same post? Do you not see what you did there?

Sark may ultimately succeed here. Stranger shit has happened in sports. We should be comforted by the early travails of the arguably the greatest cfb coach of all time when his trajectory is 1. not at all similar to Sark’s and 2. obviously an outlier among coaches whose first years are mediocre to bad? Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit. 

Context- I will repeat it for you. We had an NFL QB who covered up a lot of our shortcomings by playing hero ball for the last 4 years. Not only do we not have him here, we have guys that have no proven experience in a college game outside of spot duty. Our best lineman is playing for The Washington Football Team. We shuffled guys around for this season. At the same time as that we are trying to install a new system on both sides of the ball. A new install causes guys to think instead of simply reacting, and thus they are a step slow to their assignments.

The Arkansas game was the perfect situation for us to struggle. Our line has not gelled, we have mediocre receivers, and a Freshman QB in his first road game in a hostile environment vs Barry Odom and a physical defensive line. On offense they have road graters, Briles, and our weakness, a running QB.

Why you guys are surprised is beyond me. We got a new coach for a reason.

The last thing I will say is this. Tom Herman never showed solid play calling while he was here. Sark showed that in game one.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Context- I will repeat it for you. We had an NFL QB who covered up a lot of our shortcomings by playing hero ball for the last 4 years. Not only do we not have him here, we have guys that have no proven experience in a college game outside of spot duty. Our best lineman is playing for The Washington Football Team. We shuffled guys around for this season. At the same time as that we are trying to install a new system on both sides of the ball. A new install causes guys to think instead of simply reacting, and thus they are a step slow to their assignments.

The Arkansas game was the perfect situation for us to struggle. Our line has not gelled, we have mediocre receivers, and a Freshman QB in his first road game in a hostile environment vs Barry Odom and a physical defensive line. On offense they have road graters, Briles, and our weakness, a running QB.

Why you guys are surprised is beyond me. We got a new coach for a reason.

The last thing I will say is this. Tom Herman never showed solid play calling while he was here. Sark showed that in game one.

Context you ignore - when Casey came in against Colorado, the offense produced at a demonstrably higher rate. You really suck at this. 

We’re surprised at the obviously dismal coaching failure. Personnel issues are, again and again, admitted by the non-Pollyanna crowd, but y’all conveniently keep harping on them like it’s a point of contention.

2021’s Game one results have been shown to be no more impressive than 2020’s. We’ve moved beyond that data point.

Your argument continues to be that all is not lost because some tiny percentage of the time first year failures don’t portend overall tenure failure. You’ve added nothing to that since you started this nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

As a fan base we're like a scorned woman that's been treated shitty by a couple guys and now projects that onto every guy they meet.

5 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

So much truth in this one little sentence. 

There's even a psychological term for it:  hypervigilance.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, softlynow said:

Context you ignore - when Casey came in against Colorado, the offense produced at a demonstrably higher rate. You really suck at this. 

We’re surprised at the obviously dismal coaching failure. Personnel issues are, again and again, admitted by the non-Pollyanna crowd, but y’all conveniently keep harping on them like it’s a point of contention.

2021’s Game one results have been shown to be no more impressive than 2020’s. We’ve moved beyond that data point.

Your argument continues to be that all is not lost because some tiny percentage of the time first year failures don’t portend overall tenure failure. You’ve added nothing to that since you started this nonsense. 

Was Casey playing against Arkansas? No. So who gives a shit how he looked vs whoever the fuck in a bowl game last season in a different offense with a different coach and different personnel? Bottom line is the NEW coach worked out both kids and Card practiced better, and that's all you have to go on at that point. Card then came out chucking it all over the lot in game one so as a coach why would you think he would suddenly fold in game 2. But he did. You don't know what you've got until the bullets start flying and now they have. So now the coach HAS DATA POINTS that he can use to make personnel decisions and real adjustments.

The sentence I highlighted is an absolute joke. Here is why. Arkansas is 2-0. They could go on to suck or have a good season, you have no idea. We could go on to lose all the rest of our games or win out, you don't know that either. All you know is that we had a bad game last week and you are already using phrases like "first year failures". How about we sit back and see how this plays out for a couple more games before we start manning the lifeboats. Geezus Christ!

Lastly- Arkansas struggled mightily with Rice then came in here and stomped our ass. Rice had more total yards and more first downs than we did. So suffice it to say that if Arkansas can look that different vs Rice then ULL can look that different vs who they played too. You guys and your knee-jerk reactions.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Your'e talking about "perspective" while your referent is the single most accomplished college football coach in the history of the sport, instead of the countless other coaches with similar outcomes.  You're talking about a coach who is 11-23 on the road, 47-36 overall, 0-19 when trailing by 10, and has been fired for personal issues, and you're comparing him to a coach who has no equal in his profession.  And let's be honest, if A&M or OU had hired this guy, you'd be laughing about it. You damn sure wouldn't be comparing him to Saban.

There are hundreds more Mike Sherman's who lose to Arkansas State in year one than there are Nick Saban's who lose to ULM or UAB. 

And for the record, I want Sark to succeed magnificently because 1) I'm a sober alcoholic and didn't get that way until I was 45 so it cost me a fuckton, so I'm on the guy's side,  and 2) It will make my mom and my favorite brother, as well as the rest of my enormous Texas Ex family deliriously happy, which will make me happy.  I've never been a Texas-hating Aggie because I grew up in a huge Longhorn family, except for one grandpa who went to A&M.  My best friend in this world, godfather to my son, was a Longhorn and I cheered on Vince Young in the Rose Bowl right beside him, and wherever is on the other side, it would make him happy too.  So save the "A&M sucks, your point is invalid stuff."  I wish the guy nothing but success.  Except when he plays us, then he can fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

What you are saying makes no sense. You are suggesting a coach change his scheme based on the fact that we did alright running OZ last year with a completely different line. No Cosmi. Guys in different positions. This is not the same team. We had a dude that plays for the Colts now behind that line that kept teams honest. This line hasn't shown THIS YEAR, that they can run anything well. All they have shown over the last two games is that they can consistently miss assignments.

Also, Snyder absolutely had a scheme that he ran and even recruited for it. As long as I can remember Snyder used his QB as a runner. He almost always had a guy who was nimble on his feet, some more than others. Sure he would run plays over and over that were working but he didn't change his style.

Lastly, we are bitching about the play calling, but the reality is we STILL had many chances to win if we are hitting the throws we got and not overthrowing them and dropping passes. So a lot of the plays were good, we just didn't hit on them. Same with the counter play. The play was there, we just missed a block that blew the thing up. If Junior and Bijan turn that corner there is a lot of daylight to be had.

Actually it is very clear if you just take the time to read instead of react.   I suggested that the coach watch the film from last year and look at the players, then evaluate their level of play and finding it deficient, bring in guys to help shore it up.   He decided to bring a RB with him, which we did not need.  We needed WRs and linemen.  Watch last years game and you will see we lacked....WRs and linemen.   You act like this is a completely new team full of freshman whom no one has ever observed in action before.   It is not.  We have seen Okafor and Kerstetter.  Hand tried to make them into a functioning group and was barely able to get them just above terrible.  Need and half-yard, well let's get the Battering Sam cause the line sure as shit can't get any push.   That Sam isn't here is irrelevant.  It is not a surprise.   

The Bill Snyder comment was about how he would recognize when a play worked and if it looked like you couldn't stop it he would keep doing it.  I believe they ran 2 plays against Muschamp's defense mostly just running it at the same guy all game long and Muschamp couldn't stop it.   The gripe with the play-calling was based on numerous factors.  The 4th down call was just shit. 

I am only a fan.  I get that they are young*, but this isn't a youth problem, this is an "I have no idea what I am doing" problem.   I have watched a young OU line become an asset to their team during the course of the same year.   And Jordan Whittington is not exactly in his first season.   This is not bigger than TX-OU.   So many players were bad at their job or do not know what their job is.  That is a huge cause for concern.  

*How many years are we going to hear this in a row, 37?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Your'e talking about "perspective" while your referent is the single most accomplished college football coach in the history of the sport, instead of the countless other coaches with similar outcomes.  You're talking about a coach who is 11-23 on the road, 47-36 overall, 0-19 when trailing by 10, and has been fired for personal issues, and you're comparing him to a coach who has no equal in his profession.  And let's be honest, if A&M or OU had hired this guy, you'd be laughing about it. You damn sure wouldn't be comparing him to Saban.

There are hundreds more Mike Sherman's who lose to Arkansas State in year one than there are Nick Saban's who lose to ULM or UAB. 

And for the record, I want Sark to succeed magnificently because 1) I'm a sober alcoholic and didn't get that way until I was 45 so it cost me a fuckton, so I'm on the guy's side,  and 2) It will make my mom and my favorite brother, as well as the rest of my enormous Texas Ex family deliriously happy, which will make me happy.  I've never been a Texas-hating Aggie because I grew up in a huge Longhorn family, except for one grandpa who went to A&M.  My best friend in this world, godfather to my son, was a Longhorn and I cheered on Vince Young in the Rose Bowl right beside him, and wherever is on the other side, it would make him happy too.  So save the "A&M sucks, your point is invalid stuff."  I wish the guy nothing but success.  Except when he plays us, then he can fuck off.

Perspective is not knowing that Saban went 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, amd finally had the winning 9-2 season his 5th year before going to LSU. Perspective is not knowing he got beat by Standford 0-38, Wisconsin 14-45, Washington 23-51, Oregon 14-48, and Penn State hung 51 on him during the last game of his 4th year. Saban wasn't always the Saban you know.

Point is that you never know when a guy who used to be good is going to fall off or a guy who was merely OK is going to turn the corner. After virtually being "7 win Sark" at Michigan State for 4 years, the Spartans could've let Nick go, and they had every reason to. They gave him one more year, he went 9-2 and took the LSU job. Had they let him go, he likely ends up at a small school and never becomes the coach we know today.

• Hook 'Em 4