Back away from the ledge!! It's not as bad as you think ....yet.

Thatguy

4 hours ago, Hate said:

If the guys starting can’t get it done either physically or mentally (OL), then they need to be benched. I’d rather the young guys get experience.

Is it really good experience to get your ass kicked because you're not better than the guy you replaced while losing more games?

The best player should play. Period. Who that player is may change over the course of the season: Maybe some of the starters are monsters in practice but lost in actual games. In that case, make a change.

If there are better players already on the bench, then we have more profound coaching problems than scheme.

Edited by RomaVicta

I think Scipio explains what's basically going on in that OL clusterfuck above about as succinctly as you can here. 

Kyle Flood has his preferred method of play and OL type. That's clear. One thing worth noting on rewatch (haha, please don't): the Texas guards don't understand square shoulders or how to maintain unit integrity by not vacating uncovered space prematurely to "help" other players. Help always goes inside-out. Which defender is closest to the QB? That's who you can't allow past your face. You don't bypass a single blocked nose tackle to help a tackle with an edge guy. Nor do you turn your shoulders or chase to do it. Stay square, slide shuffle, help with a hand, while keeping your eyes on the guy who might come downhill from LB or S if they're not dropping into coverage. Multiple times I watched Texas guards (Okafor repeatedly the worst offender) vacate interior space because they weren't covered to "help" the tackle (who usually didn't need any) leaving open a massive gap inside that Arkansas linebackers and safeties blitzed through, or the Arkansas NT delighted in finding himself in 1 on 1 on an island against the center.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

No doubt?  You have no doubt, huh?

And fuck the “two recruiting classes” noise. If he doesn’t make appreciable changes this year, and finish with an aughts-type record in his second year, he’s not the coach for us, and even if he does that in Year 2, he still might not be the guy, as Herman showed us in ‘19 and ‘20. 

You big mad or little mad? 

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

There are better players on the bench.  We have seen Karic play against Kansas State and Colorado.  This isn’t even wishcasting.  He is better than more than one of our current starters.

So, you believe the coaches are knowing  starting an inferior player? Why would that do that?

The only reason I could see would be the example in my earlier post that some of these guys look great in practice but not in games.

Frankly, I hope you're right about better players being available. The line reverted to form of looking like it's the first time they've ever run the play. They end up standing around watching the RB go down. Hit something.

55 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Was married to a gator for the last 20 years. Watched a bunch of sec football. Bama wasn’t all world the day Sabin showed up, but they did crack skulls from day one.

What we saw in the trenches last night shouldn’t even be mentioned on the same breath as Sabans first year at Bama. That was some putrid fucking football. Just horrible.

No on knows if sark will get it done or not. But goddamn that was bad. I’m guessing he never expected that level of play in the trenches was even a possibility. Wouldn’t surprise me if that level of pussy was something he’s never had to deal with before.

Hope he has a fix. But the last dozen years lead me to highly doubt it.

I’m not saying it was good or acceptable. Just trying to keep hope and perspective. Saban’s lose to ULM at Tuscaloosa was bad. Really bad. ULM was a shitty team. Yesterday was really bad for us but I’m hopeful the ship gets righted.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think Scipio explains what's basically going on in that OL clusterfuck above about as succinctly as you can here. 

Kyle Flood has his preferred method of play and OL type. That's clear. One thing worth noting on rewatch (haha, please don't): the Texas guards don't understand square shoulders or how to maintain unit integrity by not vacating uncovered space prematurely to "help" other players. Help always goes inside-out. Which defender is closest to the QB? That's who you can't allow past your face. You don't bypass a single blocked nose tackle to help a tackle with an edge guy. Nor do you turn your shoulders or chase to do it. Stay square, slide shuffle, help with a hand, while keeping your eyes on the guy who might come downhill from LB or S if they're not dropping into coverage. Multiple times I watched Texas guards (Okafor repeatedly the worst offender) vacate interior space because they weren't covered to "help" the tackle (who usually didn't need any) leaving open a massive gap inside that Arkansas linebackers and safeties blitzed through, or the Arkansas NT delighted in finding himself in 1 on 1 on an island against the center.

I read shit like this and I want to blame Texas high school football. But that can't be right, can it?

Just now, David Dennison said:

I read shit like this and I want to blame Texas high school football. But that can't be right, can it?

I think there's general agreement that Texas HS football doesn't produce many quality linemen and the tip top ones go out of state.  So yeah, that's a problem.

Am not sitting on the ledge. Bad loss for sure, but shit, that was to be expected a few times this year. New coach who did not run his own recruiting cycle. 

Do we hype it up too much? Yep. It makes losses harder. We are a 9-3 team this year. 

I can get pissed at the team, but going to turn my back on them. Folks, its not like we became Arkansas. We are still Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

A couple things.

The second play has nothing to do with talent or lack of physicality. 2nd play and we’re clueless how to block?

The center is covered. The right guard pulls. Left guard blocking down? I’m assuming someone screwed up but who? That assumption is not based on the outcome but based what you’d assume the d tackle would do. Of the considerations, all are negative on the coaches. I’d go with The call was wrong but how can we be so unprepared for our second play call. You turn that defender loose you are asking for failure. We’re we unprepared for that front? Are we blocking it in that manner? Certainly not.

Unless I’m looking at the wrong Bama play, there’s is different. The left guard is covered. He blocks that man rather than turning him loose to kill the play.

Second thing was the talk of Sark having limited QB runs. Go back and watch that play. Now imagine Zone action with Bijan. QB pulls it. The defensive alignments and reactions would lead to easy blocks and yards to the left side. They were shifted to our right and the ultimate play side backer takes a read step, which would be two to three chasing Bijan. Break a tendency early. Get a 1st or 3rd and short. Slow the Pig hype train a bit. We’re not on the same page enough to man up on em so we need to mix in some confusion.

I am sorry man, the play I was referencing in the video was at the 38 second mark. I am trying to quickly post while still handling my dad duties around here. lol. I will post the still below.

To me you would think based on alignment that would be Majors block, Junior pulls, and Okafor and Jones get the combo outside and Okafor works to the backside backer. However, after seeing it from a different view/angle, based on the moves both Majors and Okafor make that they thought that Majors was doubling with Jones and Okafor was trapping the DT? That's why I assumed Majors(mispoke on the name in the OP) got whipped because why would you turn that player loose on a slow developing counter? So many things can go wrong and they did.

Bottom 1132453654_Screenshot(153).thumb.png.530c5b6b54b9b538d7373869ad99d13f.png

225631845_Screenshot(154).thumb.png.af65adc8c0e5a337994ab2d273b3961d.png

1269402968_Screenshot(155).thumb.png.ef3417ca6f0b775697aa01250b2e5d44.png

1276718415_Screenshot(156).thumb.png.88881473bcf691cb142e6e4b684d2b59.png

I think people are missing the initial point of my post, which is the kids were the ones fucking up out there. We were in a hostile environment, and a lot of people were shitting the bed. The fact that Arkansas, while not the best team, is still no pushover did not help. People always talk about the QB got rattled on the road in a loud, hostile environment but forget that the same shit happens to other players too. People's heads are swirling, trying to remember their assignments and shit like this happens. It's not always just about coaching. Regardless of what the blocking scheme called for, it did not get executed properly and here we are. Those things can get fixed. If/when they get fixed it will go a long way to solving our other problem, passing.

• Hook 'Em 4

Sark is a very good OC.  For the offense to play that poorly is clear evidence that the oline talent is shit.  Those fuckers looked like they’ve never played football before.  Sark will be fine but the oline has to be upgraded so don’t expect this to happen quickly.   We won’t see another DC as good as Odom so that will help significantly.  Odom saw our shitty oline and knew exactly how to attack it.  As a bonus the whole team decided to have a horrible game all at once but I will say if  Kitan gets that muffed punt that would have changed the entire game.  Saturday just wasn’t our night.   

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

1) It's entirely too early to take the writeoff on Sark, but that's just because it's too early. 

2) That being said, I'm not sure clips the OP posted should make anyone back away from the ledge. They might be exhibit A for letting your toes dangle. Take for example the first. Angilua didn't get beat - he was pulling on a counter.  Two dudes completely missed their assignments on a basic running play - the 2nd of the game.  You can see this in the clip I posted in the O-line thread.  We look like we haven't even practiced.  That's on the coaches.

3)PK's scheme and game planning was shit; there's no sugar coating it.  He got totally depantsed.  

4) If you read back on this board on 1/2/2021 when Sark was hired (see the CDC thread) the overwhelming reaction to his hire was negative.  Most people argued we should have just kept Herman - that's how despondent they were.  The NC game a few days later and the staff he assembled changed people's minds.  I'm wondering if our first instincts were correct (they usually are).  

5) we'll see how things play out.  We'll know by the end of the season how this thing is gonna go.  

How does the center of all people fuck up there so badly?

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think there's general agreement that Texas HS football doesn't produce many quality linemen and the tip top ones go out of state.  So yeah, that's a problem.

Gerry mentioned the other day that they're not seeing many young big body offensive linemen in the state in the 8th-9th grade classes. He's concerned about that for TXHSFB moving forward....

6 hours ago, stork642 said:

Sark is a very good OC.  For the offense to play that poorly is clear evidence that the oline talent is shit.  Those fuckers looked like they’ve never played football before.  Sark will be fine but the oline has to be upgraded so don’t expect this to happen quickly.   We won’t see another DC as good as Odom so that will help significantly.  Odom saw our shitty oline and knew exactly how to attack it.  As a bonus the whole team decided to have a horrible game all at once but I will say if  Kitan gets that muffed punt that would have changed the entire game.  Saturday just wasn’t our night.   

Agreed. Just felt like one of those games where nothing could go right. Not saying it would’ve completely changed the end result but if Crawford’s toe isn’t out of bounds and we recover the ball there, there’s a solid chance we put 6 on the board which would’ve taken the crowd down a notch and given the guys a little more confidence. Totally would’ve changed the momentum. Hoping this is a wake up call for the players and coaches and not something that just shatters everyone’s confidence to the point we never recover.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry mentioned the other day that they're not seeing many young big body offensive linemen in the state in the 8th-9th grade classes. He's concerned about that for TXHSFB moving forward....

All the "highlights" are on defense... all the bigs are opting to play D-line. There is a plethora of great DLs and nobody who wants to line up against them. If you are unsure of your top end height you go D-line as hard work can make you stand out for that offer. O-line... the ONLY thing that will get you an offer is size.  In our district the best lineman rarely get offered to play D-I ball, only the bigger "project" players. 

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

All the "highlights" are on defense... all the bigs are opting to play D-line. There is a plethora of great DLs and nobody who wants to line up against them. If you are unsure of your top end height you go D-line as hard work can make you stand out for that offer. O-line... the ONLY thing that will get you an offer is size.  In our district the best lineman rarely get offered to play D-I ball, only the bigger "project" players. 

TBH, you could do very well recruiting those big 3-4 star midwest and southest offensive linemen that just have mean film and play.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is what seems to be the thing.

Sarkisian has a system he wants to run.  That's fine.  He also seems to think that he either has Alabama-level talent or Texas' alleged talent differential over the rest of the schedule (it does mostly exist on paper) allows him to scheme and gameplan as though he was still at Alabama.

I suppose at some level that is an understandable mistake.  Or something that might require a bit of an adjustment.

Herman seemed to make the same mistake, which didn't really make sense given that he'd had a couple of years of not-OSU talent at UH.  But it might have been that the talent differential of UH (Ed Oliver?  Greg Ward?) versus the rest of the AAC allowed him to continue the delusion that he/we could "impose our will" on our opponents.  And, there's the fact that he's Tom fuckin Herman.

But we know damned well that whatever the recruiting rankings say, our talent advantage is often or most times illusory, even against Big XII competition that isn't OU.

So, the issue is whether Steve Sarkisian can pull his head out of his ass and realize he isn't in Tuscaloosa anymore and whatever alleged talent advantage Texas has is not going to permit him and his staff to ignore the talent and development shortcomings of the roster he actually has.  Herman never really did.

The parallel with Herman is very disturbing.  I think we all see it and it gives us watery bowels.

But here's something that may give us some hope.  Tom Herman behaved in a lot of instances like an active alcoholic.  A fundamental aspect of that is a refusal to accept the world as it is and a series of ongoing futile attempts to shape it into what he wants it to be, coupled with a lot of frustration and intoxication when the drunk cannot bend the world to his will.

Assuming Sarkisian has been in recovery for most of the last six years, he should be more malleable than that.  Make no mistake, it's a character trait that an alkie has to fight the rest of his life and it's not exactly easy.  But, there is some reason to believe that Sarkisian may come to accept what he's got on the roster and make do with it.  And then make the changes that he can, via recruiting and scheme, until he has something that actually fits his vision.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

What concerns me: 

Offensive line was blown the fuk up; it wasn’t even close. There were several plays where the defense got pressure on Card and sacked him once with only three linemen rushing. I’m impressed that Robinson got 70 yards rushing.

Card missing on passes over 30 yards; literally every one of them. If he’s accurate with just two of those passes it changes the outlook of the game( not saying they win). There was a lot of praise during the off season about Card’s accuracy.

Sark failing to make adjustments (PK as well). Herman was hammered for this but here is the guy who is supposed to elevate the program looking like the last guy. Clearly was out coached.

Defense wasn’t as bad as the offense but they weren’t that good either. PK failed to make adjustments and it was frustrating.  

Dicker the kicker has regressed; something tells me he went all in on kickoffs and punting and this has caused him to take a step back on field goals. 

The big uglies on both sides of the ball were dominated. This is the kind of loss that can set the program back or it can cause the right kind of adversity. Let’s see how this team reacts; there is still a lot to play for. I recall in 2018 when we beat Oklahoma in that thriller our offensive line really dominated , we pushed Oklahoma around, but in the big twelve championship game they were able to adjust and had really developed throughout that season. I’d like to see this team adjust , develop,  and prove to everyone they have what it takes to compete at a high level. 

Sark earns his money if he learns from Arkansas that he doesn't currently have the players he thought he had and he schemes ways to make the offense work given the players he does have. If he tries to fit the square peg in the round hole again... well.... I'll take up bird watching or something else for the next few years

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Sark earns his money if he learns from Arkansas that he doesn't currently have the players he thought he had and he schemes ways to make the offense work given the players he does have. If he tries to fit the square peg in the round hole again... well.... I'll take up bird watching or something else for the next few years

Depth chart this week will be very interesting to see. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Using bowl result to justify two different teams playing in a completely new season peak Texas fans stupidity.

You are such a punk ass. I seem to recall you stating elsewhere that Marlin handed your ass to you. You know why? Cause you and your buds are punk asses. Outsmarted by one of the historically poorly coached teams in the state. If I’m wrong on that, sorry.

Point is: if these dudes can block we’ll enough last season to score 120 points in the final two games, there is ability there. And scoring 55 points against largely the same dudes that just gave up 10 is merely a reference point. Those dudes that made up that defense are not suddenly the second coming of the Steel Curtain after one more game of experience. All the Oline men from those games are still in the program. Theoretically they all should improve incrementally from last year. Thus far, they have not. Or at least are not showing it on the field.

You’re probably one of those dipshits that thought Rice playing Arkansas close was the reason we’d win easy. Two games in doesn’t tell us much about a team. After one game, we knew very little.

Also, and perhaps I’m wrong but I’d assume coaches use some of last years film to scout teams and players this early in the season. If that’s the case, then reference to 2-3 games ago is reasonable. But everybody matches up differently so ultimately there’s no perfect comparison.

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Harder Big 12? Have you seen the league results through the 1st 2 weeks?

Lmao! Yeah the favorite to win the conference struggled with Tulane at home, had it been a road game they easily could've lost. ISU got smashed by Iowa. Arky shit all over Texas. Okie St has scraped by bad teams. WVU pulled a Texas and lost to Maryland....in football. Maybe TCU surprises people? They haven't exactly looked up to snuff, either. The Big 12 is a heaping pile of shit this year how anyone could claim it's better is beyond my understanding.

So your arrogance has taught you nothing? Using Oklahoma as an example when they’ve literally shit on us going 20 years straight outside of 4 games or so? Oh they barely beat Tulane? Who gives a shit? The Oklahoma team in the first game won’t be the same in our game vs them or the end of the season. 

Iowa may be a really good team this year….doesn’t mean Iowa State is worse than us? 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

10 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not convinced of that yet. I don’t know how the last 10 seasons hasn’t made everyone patient. We lost last night. It sucked. I’m over it and recognize it as a way to see how Sark responds. We will know a lot more October 2nd. This was concerning and unexpected but calling the guy a bum and comparing him to Charlie Strong is retarded. 

Can we at least say he looked like Charlie with the deer in the headlights look and zero adjustments and just let things get worse and happen?

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean it’s A problem but not THE problem. This is the worst TX OL in at least 10 years of football. Flood needs to earn his paycheck bc these kids aren’t showing they’re capable of the basics. Bijan’s year is probably fucked

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So your arrogance has taught you nothing? Using Oklahoma as an example when they’ve literally shit on us going 20 years straight outside of 4 games or so? Oh they barely beat Tulane? Who gives a shit? The Oklahoma team in the first game won’t be the same in our game vs them or the end of the season. 

Iowa may be a really good team this year….doesn’t mean Iowa State is worse than us? 

Someone needs a Valium this morning. Do you want to argue that the 2021 Big 12 looks stronger than the 2020 version? Yes OU has stomped Texas for the better part of two decades, that doesn't change the fact that if that game was played on Tulane's home field they easily could've won. The fact that ISU got wrecked by Iowa doesn't mean that Texas could beat them, either nor did I imply that anywhere. I'm just saying the Big 12 is hot garbage this year, the 4 preseason picks to round out the top 4 slots of the conference have all looked lackluster or bad.

26 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This, this, this.  There is a reason you almost never see one player handle all three. 

While he has been way worse lately, he wasn’t great even before having to handle the punting duties. Take away the OU kick (and one other semi-easy game-winner that I can’t remember the opponent) and he’s maybe been slightly above average.
My confidence level with him at any distance is 50/50. Just watch his extra points, hardly any are straight down the middle. 
At this point, he’s actually a better punter than FG kicker (as long as he catches the snap) and a very good kickoff guy, but I’m looking forward to him graduating.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, bornbama1 said:

As a Bama fan who also likes the Longhorns and Sark I came here to post this. I don't think your team is as bad as many of the commenters on here think.

Sabans first team struggled with people buying in/changing the culture. Even a legacy player who should have been an asset was a problem. I was screaming about him weekly needing kicked off the team to make an example of.

Culture change is unlikely to completely happen this season. The sense of entitlement, complacency, or whatever that often infects the Blue Blood programs and that includes Texas takes time to change. It took Bama three coaching hires between Stallings and Saban to get it done. 

I like Sark, and think he will be a good coach given time. I am certainly hoping so. Herman was fired late in the recruiting cycle, well after the early signing period so Sark started out way behind this year. 

I hope y'all will give it a little time and settle in for an exciting ride in2021,

I think the Longhorns walked into a buzzsaw Saturday night. Something no one expected nor saw coming. In the long run this could be a turning point to get the team to focus and buy in.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season with great interest in the 'Horns 2021 season.

Well said

• Like 1

It’s all projection at this point in the season. Each game adds a meaningful data point.

People are projecting the Oline will not be good because it’s been unreliable or certainly inconsistent for 15 years. Every other year Texas fans want to write off OUs Oline. That’s not smart. They’re good no matter who plays.

I’m projecting the Aggies to beat the Pigs even though the Pigs played better this weekend. I hope the Pigs win.

The original point of this thread was to not lose your shit about the Oline just yet. I’m in that camp. These guys have played well just like they’ve played crappy. It’s the coaches job to help the players find consistency of quality performance.

One of the highlighted plays shows a mental breakdown rather than a physical butt kicking. Watching the play in real time, you’d think we got our butts handed to us. I recall another play in which Card self sacked himself. If he stays in the pocket, he’s got the post in the end zone with a clear passing lane. It was a 3 man rush with no pressure.

• Hook 'Em 1