Back away from the ledge!! It's not as bad as you think ....yet.

Thatguy

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Am not sitting on the ledge. Bad loss for sure, but shit, that was to be expected a few times this year. New coach who did not run his own recruiting cycle. 

Do we hype it up too much? Yep. It makes losses harder. We are a 9-3 team this year. 

I can get pissed at the team, but going to turn my back on them. Folks, its not like we became Arkansas. We are still Texas. 

I can understand bad losses, but that was a bad loss because the coaching staff underestimated the opponent and thought they could run basic concepts and win the game. Fuck that shit. Sarkisian and his staff aren't getting paid millions to be that arrogant.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mentioned the 1981 game in another thread and what happened there.  I did not bring it up to infer that Texas was going to go undefeated the rest of the way or any other predictive measure.

But it, along with a whole slew of other Arkansas games over the years, does show a pattern where all but the most elite Texas teams get hammered by the Hogs.

1999 season/2000 Cotton Bowl.  Big 12 South winner Texas play the Hogs and we get a similar result to Saturday's.  Say what you want about suspended players and injuries but those guys came to play and Texas did not.

2003 season. Hogs come away from Austin with a 10 point win in a game that was not nearly that close,with once again physical line play being an issue.  Texas finishes 10-3 and Arky 9-4 that year.

2004 season.  A Texas team that would finish 11-1 with Vince Young at QB squeezes out a 2 point win on the road on an unforced Arky error late in the game. Arky would finish the year 5-6.

2008 season.  Texas slaughters Hogs in Austin on way to final #2 ranking. Arky finishes 5-7.

2014 Texas Bowl: See 2000 Cotton Bowl.

2021 Season:  See 2014 Texas Bowl.

Texas was favored in all but the 2014 game.  Six games and Texas covered only once.  Pretty amazing under performance against the Hogs over the years.

So moral of the story is the Surly collective should not have been so high on this game.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

We need to allocate 10+ spots to new OL for 2022. We have cole and Connor - need to add Devon and Dewberry and pray for an Earnest Greene or Cam Williams to come aboard. Then look for a late riser or two, then add 3-4 through the portal. After that, we need to cut 3-4 that aren’t developing as expected.

We also need to add 2-3 more DL that are more traditional DE’s.

I wouldn’t hesitate to add a TE transfer that can block and catch as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bornbama1 said:

As a Bama fan who also likes the Longhorns and Sark I came here to post this. I don't think your team is as bad as many of the commenters on here think.

Sabans first team struggled with people buying in/changing the culture. Even a legacy player who should have been an asset was a problem. I was screaming about him weekly needing kicked off the team to make an example of.

Culture change is unlikely to completely happen this season. The sense of entitlement, complacency, or whatever that often infects the Blue Blood programs and that includes Texas takes time to change. It took Bama three coaching hires between Stallings and Saban to get it done. 

I like Sark, and think he will be a good coach given time. I am certainly hoping so. Herman was fired late in the recruiting cycle, well after the early signing period so Sark started out way behind this year. 

I hope y'all will give it a little time and settle in for an exciting ride in2021,

I think the Longhorns walked into a buzzsaw Saturday night. Something no one expected nor saw coming. In the long run this could be a turning point to get the team to focus and buy in.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season with great interest in the 'Horns 2021 season.

The problem is you can't change the culture without holding bad play accountable. The OL has been garbage two weeks in a row. If the same starting 5 go out there against Rice and struggle again, then the culture change is going to be set back again.

15 minutes ago, XYZ said:

But is Sarkisian gonna implement some of the shady practices that they do at Bama? Taking scholarships away from players to give them to better players, for example?

These kids got what they wanted. They are getting NIL money. Absolutely their scholarships should be taken away for poor play.

• Hook 'Em 1

The loss sucked and Texas will be playing in hostile environments forever more. So the loss is a good barometer of what Sark and the staff have to do recruiting and coaching over the next 2 years to not be punched and knocked out by any SEC team. Right now, I think Sark will get that done, but the patience leash is shorter after watching Mack at the end, Strong and Herman totally shit the bed.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

These kids got what they wanted. They are getting NIL money. Absolutely their scholarships should be taken away for poor play.

This is actually a relevant issue.  Will NIL $ cause some of these athletes to play worse?  Seems like 2 out of 3 pros when they sign "that big" contract they've been waiting for tend to suck a lot more (just my own opinion).  Will NIL take their focus off of the task at hand once they start dipping into revenue and profit?

I'd be a few Ameros that for many it would.

And while it's a nice idea to bag their scholarships or lousy play, that's not gonna happen, so this is now the way it is.

1 minute ago, NWAustinDude said:

The loss sucked and Texas will be playing in hostile environments forever more. So the loss is a good barometer of what Sark and the staff have to do recruiting and coaching over the next 2 years to not be punched and knocked out by any SEC team. Right now, I think Sark will get that done, but the patience leash is shorter after watching Mack at the end, Strong and Herman totally shit the bed.

Next two years? Buddy, we're in the SEC next year.

15 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I feel like we need some crying 😭 reaction for this season. Like add it to the mix. I mean the fuck around and find out is cool and all but we need a crying reaction too.

That was a great write up OP but UT football doesn’t have that kind of power over me. Especially not after the last decade. 

Yup - I don't get as wrapped up anymore.  Thanks Charlie and Tom (and the final years of Mack)

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, NWAustinDude said:

Pal, it aint going to be fixed overnight and you know it.

It was more toward your comment about 2 years and the SEC....

Honestly I hope the SEC and what we will experience opens some eyes to people within our AD and fan base. Hopefully it ignites a fire under them that we could be a mid to mid lower tier sec team and we make changes accordingly in our attitudes and dedication to actually winning.

Sark earns his money if he learns from Arkansas that he doesn't currently have the players he thought he had and he schemes ways to make the offense work given the players he does have. If he tries to fit the square peg in the round hole again... well.... I'll take up bird watching or something else for the next few years
Lol, I know this is tongue in cheek, but I remember saying the same thing during the Strong Era. 5 years, 2 coaching staffs and 434 species later and birding is still proving to be a much better part of my weekends than watching Texas football. I still pay far too much attention, but 2009 me would never have predicted this turn of events.

Gerry mentioned the other day that they're not seeing many young big body offensive linemen in the state in the 8th-9th grade classes. He's concerned about that for TXHSFB moving forward....

Parents switching to soy milk and such in Texas

Neighbor of mine is 6'3" and a slimmed down 255 lbs (ex O-line at North Texas) and his wife is 5'8" (played volleyball at somewhere I cant remember) and have two boys..oldest 14 and seems like he will be average height and not at all like his dad. They feed them soy/almond milk and not a lot of red meat, corn, potatoes or bread.

We really need to cherry pick the best Texas has to offer then go to either the deep south or upper midwest for the rest.

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Honestly I hope the SEC and what we will experience opens some eyes to people within our AD and fan base. Hopefully it ignites a fire under them that we could be a mid to mid lower tier sec team and we make changes accordingly in our attitudes and dedication to actually winning.

I think Eltife and Hartzell have wide open eyes. Those guys did everything they could to hire Urban Meyer and move us to the SEC in the span of 6 months. Once they struck out on Urban there was no clear second choice, but I doubt Sark will last more than 3 years if Saturday is an indication of future performance. That is especially true if we join the SEC next year and get dominated by A&M. Those guys understand recruiting and what that result would mean on the trail.

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

and get dominated by A&M

Those fuks were up on Kent-fucking-state 10-3 AT HALF.  Had the CU coaching staff not completely shit the bed they easily win that game by double digits.  Elko is good, but is also not long for a better coaching gig opportunity.  I'm not worried about the ags.  It's the rest of the conference that worries me.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Very rational post.

The thing that's getting everyone is that yes, this is just one game.  But with our past two coaching failures, that first bad game basically set the tone for the entire coaching regime.  That first bad game demonstrated themes of inadequacy that would recur for the next 3-4 years.

We have no basis to believe that Sarkisian won't fix things or be able to fix things, but we have a lot of PTSD from coaches who couldn't or wouldn't.

Sarkisian seemed to make better staff hires than Strong or Herman.  Maybe that alone is sufficient differentiator from past regimes.  Meaning if PK or Flood or whoever can't get it done, he'll move quickly to replace them.

This season is going to be an adventure.

I will also look at what is being done on the recruiting trail right now.     He and the staff are doing quite well snatching up talent in the existing SEC foot print who were being heavily pursued by those schools too.   Especially on the D-line. 

Some had some unrealistic expectations coming into this season .  Positive culture changes in a program which needs a radical one takes a year or two.  Last season's or Tom's overall record not withstanding, we were shit most of the time in crunch situations.   

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This!    This should be the launching pad for the let's prove those MF'ers wrong tour.  Or Us vs the rest of the SEC tour....  Or whatever.    I'd paint all over the walls in the locker room and practice facilities,  the SEC thinks your are pussies.        Prove them wrong!   Would be great to get one of them is bowl game at seasons end and start there going into what will hopefully be our first season in the SEC in 2022.

You don't judge a fighter by getting clipped and knocked down in the 2nd round after winning the first round. You judge him by what he does to respond after he stands back up. 

On the down side, that Louisiana team that returned everyone and is supposed to be legit this year just barely squeaked by Nichols State by 3 pts after getting smoked by us. So that first round may not have been as good as previously thought. 

I will also look at what is being done on the recruiting trail right now.     He and the staff are doing quite well snatching up talent in the existing SEC foot print who were being heavily pursued by those schools too.   Especially on the D-line. 

If we hold on to them, I agree with you.

Can't let the train come off the rails too much or that will fall apart as well. Just ask Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

But it, along with a whole slew of other Arkansas games over the years, does show a pattern where all but the most elite Texas teams get hammered by the Hogs.

Lol. Okay.

Screenshot_20210913-120738_Chrome.thumb.jpg.819a78ff105ba68311c3755d02e3c989.jpg

They weren't so hot when we were playing them every year. The last 2 meetings they've won were against Charlie in a bowl game and against a new head coach and new QB in their 2nd game and first road game. Maybe they're benefitting from catching us less often and letting the pent up hate spill over but they sure as shit don't have a history of having our number. It's pretty much the opposite. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:

If we hold on to them, I agree with you.

Can't let the train come off the rails too much or that will fall apart as well. Just ask Herman.

If we go 8-3 and don't become dog shit in particular against OU in a loss and whomever we lose to later, we should be OK.   Not saying we are going to lose to OU, but just a projecting a what if.  

If the buzz becomes "Texas has really turned the page since their embarrassment in Fayetteville" this will help too.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol. Okay.

Screenshot_20210913-120738_Chrome.thumb.jpg.819a78ff105ba68311c3755d02e3c989.jpg

They weren't so hot when we were playing them every year. The last 2 meetings they've won were against Charlie in a bowl game and against a new head coach and new QB in their 2nd game and first road game. Maybe they're benefitting from catching us less often and letting the pent up hate spill over but they sure as shit don't have a history of having our number. It's pretty much the opposite. 

I am well aware of the history, I was referring to time since they left the SWC and became SEC good, or rather, just played us non conference.  I was going for the pent up hate spilling over angle.  Probably more just timing and match ups issues, kind of like BYU, ugh.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I am well aware of the history, I was referring to time since they left the SWC and became SEC good, or rather, just played us non conference.  I was going for the pent up hate spilling over angle.  Probably more just timing and match ups issues, kind of like BYU, ugh.

Yeah - I get that. I think you have to examine those games in a fuller context, though. Mack had some zinger bowl games early on - including that pig Cotton bowl loss and the 03 loss to a meh Wazzu team. The 03 team was talented but not great - they got shellacked by OU later that year. Not sure they should have lost to pig at home but they did. A very good Texas team got it back the next year but I wouldn't call the 04 team elite. They squeaked by Kansas and okie lite and got shutout by OU. 

08 is self explanatory - but that ass whipping definitely counts. 

And then the two since - yeah - it is what it is. I think once we get back to playing them every year we should settle in again. But it's still a rivalry game and a sometimes unpredictable one at that. 

36 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

You don't judge a fighter by getting clipped and knocked down in the 2nd round after winning the first round. You judge him by what he does to respond after he stands back up. 

On the down side, that Louisiana team that returned everyone and is supposed to be legit this year just barely squeaked by Nichols State by 3 pts after getting smoked by us. So that first round may not have been as good as previously thought. 

They beat a bunch of shit hooks by like 4-7 points every game. Are they a solid squad? Yes. Can they hang with anyone in the top 20? Probably not 

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I'll join the bargaining, it could be worse.  The Zuckerberg machine reminded me that 7 years ago today I was at a game where we botched the coin toss.  So we've got that improvement going for us....which is nice.  

We could have Kirk, Kyle and Keontay in the RB room.

• Rage+1 1

it was an abysmal showing in the second game of the season. it was an away game to an opponent who HATES texas. they haven't sold out in years and they do for this game. we had a rs Fresh starting QB playing in his second collegiate game. we have a shitty Oline which was inherited because over a decade the previous 3 coaching staffs sucked at Oline recruiting and coaching. 

i told people all week that we were probably going to lose. the situation was not ideal for where this team and coaching staff are. adversity was going to happen, it was a question of whens. the first when was saturday night. i'm glad we have Rice this week. it's what the doctor ordered.

i have faith in sark and this staff. it's the best coaching staff we've had in over a decade. they'll get this shit righted, it'll just take time. as such, i'm treating this year is a mulligan for sark and staff. 

buy yea, we really need to start paying Oline recruits. we do not have the Oline to compete in the SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 6

it was an abysmal showing in the second game of the season. it was an away game to an opponent who HATES texas. they haven't sold out in years and they do for this game. we had a rs Fresh starting QB playing in his second collegiate game. we have a shitty Oline which was inherited because over a decade the previous 3 coaching staffs sucked at Oline recruiting and coaching. 
i told people all week that we were probably going to lose. the situation was not ideal for where this team and coaching staff are. adversity was going to happen, it was a question of whens. the first when was saturday night. i'm glad we have Rice this week. it's what the doctor ordered.
i have faith in sark and this staff. it's the best coaching staff we've had in over a decade. they'll get this shit righted, it'll just take time. as such, i'm treating this year is a mulligan for sark and staff. 
buy yea, we really need to start paying Oline recruits. we do not have the Oline to compete in the SEC. 

We don’t have an oline to compete with the geriatric club for equestrian riders.

I keep reading that on this site and other places, and cant help but laugh that people accept that as fact.  That shit effort I witnessed on Saturday was a coaching failure across the board. Offense, Defense, and ST. We'll know in two years if we have a good staff. Early results not overwhelmingly positive, despite whatever the $9.95 crowd pumps out. 

in reply to this comment

it's the best coaching staff we've had in over a decade.

Edited by Blotto