Effing jury duty

On 9/15/2021 at 9:36 PM, conVINCEd said:

Only criminal case I served on was an open and shut cap murder case 20 years ago.  Victim was a child.  I didn’t sleep well for a while.  No desire to serve on a murder jury ever again.

Did grand jury few years ago.  13 Thursdays in a row, averaging 10-12 cases per Thursday.  Had 1 that involved straight up abuse/ neglect of children in the home and another with some lady offering up her baby on the internet to sickos to come meet at a hotel and do their thing.  Yes, fucking really.

Heard all kinds of drug arrests, firearms charges, and miscellaneous horseshit.  Guess which 2 bothered me in a bad way.

The only positive out of the lady pawning off her baby is they offered her a plea deal if she'd help nail other shitbags.  Heard publicity on related arrests and convictions later on, well after our GJ was completed that helped ease the "Holy fuck we are bad people" moment.

On 9/17/2021 at 11:42 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

I was in voir dire on a drug case.  There were probably 30 of us and everyone was giving such stupid responses that I thought for sure I'll be chosen.  They ended up dismissing everyone and started over at square 1.  Not sure how common that is.  God help me if I need any help from a jury.

I had something similar happen.  I was #40-something and after the first 30 started giving stupid responses or claiming claimed they did not agree with drug laws, I was certain I would get selected.  After all were queried, the judge emptied the room. 

About 30 minutes later, we were all excused, as a plea agreement was reached.

The judge interrupted the 2nd (or so) guy who claimed he disagreed with drug laws.  The judge reminded everyone that the role as juror was to determine the guilt of the accused using the parameters of the existing laws only.  I think that encouraged even more folks to assert their anti-drug position.

Edited by boilerhorn

• 4 weeks later...

In the EDTX criminal pool you need 30 minimum to seat a jury. The govt only gets 6 strikes to the defenses 10.

Every so often I’ve seen a defense attorney attempting to bust a pool. Both times the Judge shut it down and rehabbed enough potential jurors that we wouldn’t have to come back a few weeks later to redo it.

We always say the best way to get picked is to be in the first 30 and sit there silent. The best way off a jury is to be an engineer, lol I don’t like engineers! We have some prosecutors that don’t like teachers either but I don’t care about them usually.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

We always say the best way to get picked is to be in the first 30 and sit there silent. The best way off a jury is to be an engineer, lol I don’t like engineers! We have some prosecutors that don’t like teachers either but I don’t care about them usually.

I understand that one.

I was on a panel for an insurance issue.  During voir dire, the insurance company's lawyer asked something like, "Do you believe that if the plaintiff believes he is entitled to the entire award that he should get the entire award?"  I asked her to repeat it.  I said that there are multiple questions here.  First, if the plaintiff does not believe he is entitled to the award he is requesting, why is his attorney asking for said award?  Second, no one here knows enough about the case to answer that with any level of confidence.

I was stricken from the pool, of course.  However, the jury panel was a disaster.  Two people could barely put together a sentence.  IMO, settling out of court was a better path - for both sides.  Risk mitigation and all.

I am convinced that I would have been selected if I had just kept quiet.  

• Like 1

I just tell the truth if I am called.  I do say that I don't necessarily believe that the police are more honest than the average citizen.  I usually mention being assaulted by an off duty DPS officer.  Saw him put in handcuffs, and hauled away, only to be released around the corner...

Last jury I was nearly impaneled on was 30 years ago. I was lucky and had a higher number.  But I recognized one of the defendants... So I sat in to hear the beginning of the case.  The dude I recognized had slicked back hair and looked sort of rough... It was Jimmy Vaughn!  The Fabulous Thunderbirds were being sued by and old bandmate... Old bandmate lost as I read later.

I got selected when I was 18 or 19, medical malpractice lawsuit. This lady claimed that she had been rendered sterile due to faulty care from this doctor. I got booted because both of my parents had or did work in the medical field. I've never been called again and I doubt I will, having worked in law enforcement and now working for the state.

I know it's changed now but I remember the jury duty pay in Oklahoma back then (1992) was $6 a day. I missed three days of work to "earn" $18. I used most of that to pay for parking. 

I've only been selected for a jury of 12 once in my life (2 times wasted most of the day because I made the final 50 and had to sit through the attorney questioning) and it was the biggest waste of 4 days for everyone involved I could possibly imagine. Basically 2 20 something girls in a love triangle with the same deadbeat boyfriend...and they both stalked, harrassed and defaced each others property. But at the end of the day 4, nobody convicted of anything because each chose the greenest, just out law school attorneys they could find for cheap...and lets just say neither was near top of their class.

Some things are simply better left to be judged by Jerry Springer audiences.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 10:49 PM, Speedtrucker said:

It's ok.  I'm a teacher and I don't particularly care for them either.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

South Florida... Broward County around 1990... '93 or so.

Criminal, accused got pulled over right as he was pulling into the apartment complex of a girl he was hooking up with.

Po-leece followed him something like 5 miles after leaving the nightclub @ closing time & THEN finally decided to two-block him.

Took around 45 minutes to get the guy over to the BAT-mobile (Blood Alcohol Testing) on the other end of the county. Remember, nearly 30 years ago, BAT devices were not portable & no personal or car operable video.

Dude stands there & asks the officer if he can take off his new boots for the recorded tests... "they are new, tight on my feet" & he balances perfectly on each separate foot to remove the boots, never sits down or stumbles. Aces the field sobriety. I don't recall what his % was.

Took us longer as a panel to order lunch than to decide his fate.

Innocent as charged. Dumb that the prosecution took the case that far.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

Only time I almost served on a jury, I was on a selection panel where a client was suing his former lawyer.  The defending lawyer really tried to play up the sleazeball attitude with a barrage of bad lawyer jokes.  He kept getting cut off by the judge "shut it down, this is the last time counsel."  Man, I was this close to being selected so we could sink this asshole.  After we took a lunch break, we came back and were told we could go home, because they settled out of court.

Oh well...

48 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Only time I almost served on a jury, I was on a selection panel where a client was suing his former lawyer.  The defending lawyer really tried to play up the sleazeball attitude with a barrage of bad lawyer jokes.  He kept getting cut off by the judge "shut it down, this is the last time counsel."  Man, I was this close to being selected so we could sink this asshole.  After we took a lunch break, we came back and were told we could go home, because they settled out of court.

Oh well...

I fucking hate lawyers that tell lawyer jokes.   Have some self-respect, asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Bill Clay said:

About ten years ago my wife no pics served on a Travis county jury that awarded $25 million to Texas Disposal Systems in a civil case vs Waste Management. At the time it was the largest civil verdict in Travis county history, maybe still is. /csb

The jury I sat on 3 years ago awarded something like 11 million against one person.  Dude was scamming Park Place Autos (DFW).  His scheme was amazingly dumb.  I don't recall the specifics, but it was something along the lines of buying a car as a sales manager, then reselling it for profit.  But, he wouldn't deliver the car title.  Then he'd shift funds from one bank to another to cover for older debts. 

I wish I could remember how he did it.  Suffice to say, it all caught up with him at the end ala a pyramid scheme.

The jury I sat on 3 years ago awarded something like 11 million against one person.  Dude was scamming Park Place Autos (DFW).  His scheme was amazingly dumb.  I don't recall the specifics, but it was something along the lines of buying a car as a sales manager, then reselling it for profit.  But, he wouldn't deliver the car title.  Then he'd shift funds from one bank to another to cover for older debts. 
I wish I could remember how he did it.  Suffice to say, it all caught up with him at the end ala a pyramid scheme.
Aww . . . Jeez.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Was his last name Lundegaard?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

He sounds like a really swell guy:

http://courtstuff.com/opinions/20200602/190032opinion.pdf

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Was the defendant's name Jeremy Wiggains? He was a childhood friend but I lost track of him 30 years ago. He owned a used car dealership in Dallas selling "high line" stuff. Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, etc. He got busted and house raided by the FBI about 5 years ago. Something about selling the cars twice - once to Park Place and also to his actual customer. Not sure how he ever expected to get away with it. Cash probably was tight for a couple months and he found a "creative" way to stay afloat until it finally caught up to him.

Edit: just saw the other posts so different guy. But still:

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/park-place-motorcars-says-preston-hollow-man-business-partners-stole-dozens-of-luxury-cars-7127662

Edited by Bill Clay
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Thank you!  I've been looking for a recap or news article on the trial for at least a year.

Interesting.  As I'm reading through this, I don't recall any mention of all the b.s. he did leading up to the trial.  As far as I remember, he got fired around 2011 and the trial that I sat on didn't start until 2018.  I didn't know that he had delayed and played games in-between.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

1 hour ago, Bill Clay said:

Was the defendant's name Jeremy Wiggains? He was a childhood friend but I lost track of him 30 years ago. He owned a used car dealership in Dallas selling "high line" stuff. Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, etc. He got busted and house raided by the FBI about 5 years ago. Something about selling the cars twice - once to Park Place and also to his actual customer. Not sure how he ever expected to get away with it. Cash probably was tight for a couple months and he found a "creative" way to stay afloat until it finally caught up to him.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/park-place-motorcars-says-preston-hollow-man-business-partners-stole-dozens-of-luxury-cars-7127662

Jeremy Wiggans was the trial I sat on.  I believe that Greg Duncan was a partner of his because his name rings a bell AND, in reading the synopsis, I actually got the two names confused.  I'm pretty sure they were in cahoots.

Yep.

Duncan worked for the Park Place parties—two car dealerships in the Dallas area—buying and selling cars. On August 1, 2013, the Park Place parties instituted this lawsuit. They alleged the Duncan defendants conspired with Jeremy Wiggins, Straight Line Automotive Group, LLC (Straight Line), and Crown Automotive –3– Group, LLC (Crown) to steal their money, car titles, and vehicles.

17 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Thank you!  I've been looking for a recap or news article on the trial for at least a year.

Interesting.  As I'm reading through this, I don't recall any mention of all the b.s. he did leading up to the trial.  As far as I remember, he got fired around 2011 and the trial that I sat on didn't start until 2018.  I didn't know that he had delayed and played games in-between.

So the trial court did it's job to keep extraneous and potentially prejudicial information outside of the proceeding.  Nicely done.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Clay said:

For the record, yes, a different guy, but a co-conspirator.  Wiggains is the central dude.

Apparently, he was also a defendant in that Duncan suit at one time.

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Jeremy Wiggans was the trial I sat on.  I believe that Greg Duncan was a partner of his because his name rings a bell AND, in reading the synopsis, I actually got the two names confused.  I'm pretty sure they were in cahoots.

cahoots?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

For the record, yes, a different guy, but a co-conspirator.  Wiggains is the central dude.

Apparently, he was also a defendant in that Duncan suit at one time.

There was a plot twist to this too that I'm not sure how it finally resolved, maybe one of our Surly lawyers can answer. Jeremy knew his goose was cooked. So he and his wife filed some kind of "partition" agreement and he filed for personal BK the very next day or something like that. I'm sure a plan to avoid creditors but can you do that?

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-5th-circuit/1780808.html

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm assuming a "no-show" is not a good idea.  Anyone?

I’ve been called 6-7 times probably, all after moving to Dallas in 1998. I’ve never gone. I’ve either used exemption excuse (kids, whatever) but more than a few times, I’ve just simply not shown up.

I think one time I actually went through the effort of calling in daily over a 2- or 3-week period to see if they needed me to come in. Never did. Guess that counted as serving. If you just chucked it in the trash, nothing will happen to you.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I’ve been called 6-7 times probably, all after moving to Dallas in 1998. I’ve never gone. I’ve either used exemption excuse (kids, whatever) but more than a few times, I’ve just simply not shown up. emoji2369.png

I think one time I actually went through the effort of calling in daily over a 2- or 3-week period to see if they needed me to come in. Never did. Guess that counted as serving. If you just chucked it in the trash, nothing will happen to you.

Yeah.  I sent a letter requesting a deferral, then called it a day.  I haven't received anything back as of yet.

18 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yeah.  I sent a letter requesting a deferral, then called it a day.  I haven't received anything back as of yet.

I wouldn't waste another minute on it honestly. My in-laws next door neighbor is a riot. He's been retired for years, alleges he's the inspiration for "Tommy Bahama" for the guy who created the clothing brand. Might be full of shit. Might not be full of shit. I love his response to jury summons. He says he files them away in his "file cabinet":

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This thread is a perfect illustration of why our entire system is collapsing.  Our system of government/justice requires responsible participation by responsible citizens.  I'm willing to bet that everyone posting in this thread about getting out of jury duty, or how much of a waste of time it is, has complained about how fucked up our justice system is.  Guess what, you're part of the reason it's so fucked up. 

He's right you know.  Next time you get wrongfully accused of a crime you didn't commit, found guilty, and sentenced to death - you'll have nobody to blame but yourself.  Well, also the police that made up their minds early and focused all of their investigation on you with very little real evidence.  And the prosecutor that was focused only on getting a conviction and not the truth.  And maybe a few others - but mainly you.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This thread is a perfect illustration of why our entire system is collapsing.  Our system of government/justice requires responsible participation by responsible citizens.  I'm willing to bet that everyone posting in this thread about getting out of jury duty, or how much of a waste of time it is, has complained about how fucked up our justice system is.  Guess what, you're part of the reason it's so fucked up. 

Nah.  I was impartial and rendered my judgment as a juror.  Fucked up prosecutors, crooked cops, and over-litigious lawyers can go fuck themselves.

• 8 months later...
On 9/19/2021 at 4:25 PM, HRSchenker said:

Been registered to vote since 2007 and have never received a jury summons. One of my siblings gets a notice every year and never shows up. "I'm not required by law to open my mailbox. If they really want my ass to show up then send it certified."

And there it is folks. Just got a summons for grand jury duty. Any idea what to expect? I've heard grand jury duty can last 3-4 months at a time. 

And there it is folks. Just got a summons for grand jury duty. Any idea what to expect? I've heard grand jury duty can last 3-4 months at a time. 

Federal?

In the eastern district of TX the grand juries sit for 12 months but can be extended out to 18.

The selection process takes about a day and once the 23 are selected they get to watch training and are sworn in.

After that each month they meet for 1-2 days and listen to AUSA and agent presentations, ask questions and issue a true bill or no bill.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Federal?

In the eastern district of TX the grand juries sit for 12 months but can be extended out to 18.

The selection process takes about a day and once the 23 are selected they get to watch training and are sworn in.

After that each month they meet for 1-2 days and listen to AUSA and agent presentations, ask questions and issue a true bill or no bill.

County

On 7/23/2022 at 10:17 AM, HRSchenker said:

I went through grand jury selection in January.

Everyone showed up in zoom and they checked attendance.  We all had a number assigned which was maybe 1-100 or so.  The judge asked us if anyone wanted to be excused and maybe 60 zoom hands were raised.  We went through all of that one by one and some people had legit excuses and some were hilarious.  One guy said he was a big cheese at the Texas Lottery and serving for a few hours a few times a week would jeopardize the Texas Lottery.  It was at that moment that I remembered Texas has a lottery.

Once all of the excused folks were gone, they took a short break, came back and announced the winners.  No questioning of the candidates other than "do you have a reason not to do this?"  Lots of winners from the early numbers and a few more scattered from later numbers -- this was probably done to "balance" the jury so that different groups had representation, but that's just a guess.

If you weren't picked (and I was not), the judge said thanks for your service and that was that.  It was three hours on zoom listening to some people with real hardships and some people that just wanted out.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

It was at that moment that I remembered Texas has a lottery.

LOL

14 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Once all of the excused folks were gone, they took a short break, came back and announced the winners.  No questioning of the candidates other than "do you have a reason not to do this?

This part was weird when I served 4 years ago.  It was a pretty big civil trial (made the papers/news) re: a guy that had been scamming Park Place Motors to the tune of missing millions, missing car titles, even a missing person that may have been whacked by the mob.  Anyway.  One of the pre-selection questions asked about possible prior experience as an accountant.  We were asked if we had ever been an accountant, ran an office, handled money for a business, etc...  Those that raised their hands were dismissed.  I figured they'd look for folks that had some experience with this type of stuff.

7 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

LOL

This part was weird when I served 4 years ago.  It was a pretty big civil trial (made the papers/news) re: a guy that had been scamming Park Place Motors to the tune of missing millions, missing car titles, even a missing person that may have been whacked by the mob.  Anyway.  One of the pre-selection questions asked about possible prior experience as an accountant.  We were asked if we had ever been an accountant, ran an office, handled money for a business, etc...  Those that raised their hands were dismissed.  I figured they'd look for folks that had some experience with this type of stuff.

Fargo_128Pyxurz.jpg?format=1000w

• Like 1