Leach #6???

bullet

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/wins-coach-career.html

List of all time major college football coaches.  Mike Leach is 6th among active coaches:

6.  Nick Saban 265

8T. Mack Brown 255 (with Tom Osborne)

32. Gary Patterson 180

40. Kirk Ferentz 172

55. Brian Kelly 159

69T. Mike Leach 145

75T. Dabo Sweeney 142

78T. Mike Gundy 141

Dabo may be the only active coach to catch Saban.  Maybe the only one to catch #13 Hayden Fry who has 230 wins.

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Mack with only 10 less wins than Saban is crazy. 

Remember back on Shaggy when Mack was criticized for being obsessed with improving his win stats for the sake of his legacy? Looking back on it that was a weird thing to bitch about considering the Strong era was right around the corner.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I thought paterno had to vacate the child rape wins

Which wins were those?

Jerry Sandusky was long gone from the program. The reason they kept Joe on and covered up the Sandusky stuff was so Joe could beat Bowden for the all time wins record. It may have been the worst case ever of lack of institutional control where the head coach literally controlled the institution. But that charge doesn’t result in vacated wins. It results in coaches getting fired and sanctions on the program. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Which wins were those?

Gerry Sandusky was long gone from the program. The reason they kept Joe on and covered up the Sandusky stuff was so Joe could beat Bowden for the all time wins record. It may have been the worst case ever of lack of institutional control where the head coach literally controlled the institution. But that charge doesn’t result in vacated wins. It results in coaches getting fired and sanctions on the program. 

I thought they did have to vacate wins, but appealed (or threatened to sue) and got them reinstated. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I thought they did have to vacate wins, but appealed (or threatened to sue) and got them reinstated. 

Yeah, upon a search, apparently vacated wins were originally imposed. I mostly remember firings and criminal charges. Also limits on recruiting, postseason bans, and freedom for any player who wanted to to transfer. Things that caught Bill O’Brien by surprise and caused him to bolt for the NFL.

Now with NIL, why isn’t tOSU AD Gene Smith suing the NCAA to get back the vacated wins after “Tattoogate?” The most galling one was the Sugar Bowl win against Arkansas, a game which was approved by the NCAA after the scandal. And then taken away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

The Aggies should have hired Leach. He would have come at one third the price of Jimbo and with the talent that he could have assembled at A&M he could have made Saban cry. 

Leach would have told some dumb booster regent or whatever to get fucked during the interview if they asked him something dumb.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, upon a search, apparently vacated wins were originally imposed. I mostly remember firings and criminal charges. Also limits on recruiting, postseason bans, and freedom for any player who wanted to to transfer. Things that caught Bill O’Brien by surprise and caused him to bolt for the NFL.

Now with NIL, why isn’t tOSU AD Gene Smith suing the NCAA to get back the vacated wins after “Tattoogate?” The most galling one was the Sugar Bowl win against Arkansas, a game which was approved by the NCAA after the scandal. And then taken away. 

Yeah, nothin' about that whole process was on the up & up, NCAA needs to be dismantled & MarchMadness in the hands of "P4"...

6 hours ago, bullet said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/wins-coach-career.html

List of all time major college football coaches.  Mike Leach is 6th among active coaches:

6.  Nick Saban 265

8T. Mack Brown 255 (with Tom Osborne)

32. Gary Patterson 180

40. Kirk Ferentz 172

55. Brian Kelly 159

69T. Mike Leach 145

75T. Dabo Sweeney 142

78T. Mike Gundy 141

Dabo may be the only active coach to catch Saban.  Maybe the only one to catch #13 Hayden Fry who has 230 wins.

I believe Ed Ogreron is T3rd among active coaches with the most national championships. 

I am very glad the books are not wasting much ink on 'vacated wins'

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Mack with only 10 less wins than Saban is crazy. 

That's what coaching in college 32 of the past 38 seasons will do.  Saban started as a head coach in 1990 but spent 4 seasons at Browns DC for Belichick as well as those two failed seasons down in Miami giving him 25 of the past 31 seasons as a college football head coach.

So he is 10 wins ahead of Mack in 7 fewer years.  That tells you what you need to know about Mack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

That's what coaching in college 32 of the past 38 seasons will do.  Saban started as a head coach in 1990 but spent 4 seasons at Browns DC for Belichick as well as those two failed seasons down in Miami giving him 25 of the past 31 seasons as a college football head coach.

So he is 10 wins ahead of Mack in 7 fewer years.  That tells you what you need to know about Mack.

That he can’t beat OU?

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

I believe Ed Ogreron is T3rd among active coaches with the most national championships. 

I am very glad the books are not wasting much ink on 'vacated wins'

I'm choosing to reply to this post only because of the mentions Brian Kelly recieved as the winningest coach at Notre Dame.

IMO - these type of stats are very meaningless, as they cross era's where teams played far fewer games. So coaches today have the opportunity to play and therefore win more games.
Kelly is in his 12th year at ND and has 106 wins in 145 games, Knute was at ND for 13 years and has 105 wins in 122 games. 
In his 13 years Rockne went undefeated 5 times and only lost more than 1 game once, Kelly (whom I dislike from his Grand Valley days) has 2 seasons with 1 loss and 5 seasons with 5 or more losses, included the 2016 4-8 year. 
source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/notre-dame/coaches.html

Hell looking at it Nick, he has averaged just under 14 games a year at Bama

• Like 1

They play more games, but they also started younger  You don't see many really young head coaches.   DKR was a head coach at 30.  Of course he retired at 52.  That's why he's only #30 with 184 wins.  DKR's winning % is .749 which is the same as Paterno's and slightly better than Bowden's .740.

• Hook 'Em 1

Imagine how many more games Paterno could have separating him from the rest of that list of coaches had he not focused so much on the rape coverups.  

It's my understanding that once you start with the rape coverups, it's a slippery slope into more rape coverups.  

At least Penn State paid some price.  The Catholic Church ended up getting some skyboxes outta the deal, I'm told. 

During the Notre Dame game a few weeks ago, they were spewing some crap about Brian Kelly matching Knute Rockne for all-time wins at Notre Dame, and they had a big fucking asterisk next to it with a footnote reading (includes 21 wins vacated), and I laughed my ass off that the holier than thou Notre Dame fans had to be reminded of his vacated wins.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Imagine how many more games Paterno could have separating him from the rest of that list of coaches had he not focused so much on the rape coverups.  

It's my understanding that once you start with the rape coverups, it's a slippery slope into more rape coverups.  

At least Penn State paid some price.  The Catholic Church ended up getting some skyboxes outta the deal, I'm told. 

Penn State as a program would likely have more wins on their record if Joe had retired long before the Sandusky scandal. If I recall correctly, the first investigation into Sandusky happened in 1998 when Joe was 72 years old. In the early 00’s they went through some really lean years that would’ve gotten any other coach anywhere else fired. But they held on to him for the good of his record, not for the record of the program. And because the rich and powerful in State College profited off of having him promote their business ventures.

Joe still holds the record for career interceptions at Brown University.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Penn State as a program would likely have more wins on their record if Joe had retired long before the Sandusky scandal. If I recall correctly, the first investigation into Sandusky happened in 1998 when Joe was 72 years old. In the early 00’s they went through some really lean years that would’ve gotten any other coach anywhere else fired. But they held on to him for the good of his record, not for the record of the program. And because the rich and powerful in State College profited off of having him promote their business ventures.

Joe still holds the record for career interceptions at Brown University.

If he'd have intercepted Sandusky's dick before it went inside a young boy's mouth or anus, he'd have a fucking airport named after him.  As it stands, he's burning hell and I wish I could shit in his dead wife's pussy.

6 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm choosing to reply to this post only because of the mentions Brian Kelly recieved as the winningest coach at Notre Dame.

IMO - these type of stats are very meaningless, as they cross era's where teams played far fewer games. So coaches today have the opportunity to play and therefore win more games.
Kelly is in his 12th year at ND and has 106 wins in 145 games, Knute was at ND for 13 years and has 105 wins in 122 games. 
In his 13 years Rockne went undefeated 5 times and only lost more than 1 game once, Kelly (whom I dislike from his Grand Valley days) has 2 seasons with 1 loss and 5 seasons with 5 or more losses, included the 2016 4-8 year. 
source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/notre-dame/coaches.html

Hell looking at it Nick, he has averaged just under 14 games a year at Bama

I don't mind pointing it out but do mind the constant griping.  What do fans expect the PR guy working the tweeter in the Athletic Department is supposed to do?  Just not mention it?   Wait til the end of the 3rd qtr to announce that this could result in the losingest HC in school history??

Now I remember back when the story unfolded, it seemed like every forum, not just the football ones had at least one guy who would never stop posting about "Joe Pa did nothing wrong...." and it was always one of the extra psychopath posters that just never quits. I wonder what each of those guys is up to now.

Probably trying to rape those campers' sons.  

Penn State is a disease.  Only cure is to round up everybody that ever knew Joe Paterno well, including his family, and hang them in front of the football stadium.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Probably trying to rape those campers' sons.  

Penn State is a disease.  Only cure is to round up everybody that ever knew Joe Paterno well, including his family, and hang them in front of the football stadium.  

Wow.  Sounds like you knew Sandusky.

PSU is just an extreme case of Enron.  Groupthink allowed them to pretend nothing was wrong.  And fear of the leadership kept the lower level employees from reporting anything.

Happened in a number of Catholic archdioses as well.

EVERYONE on the message board would have done the right thing in similar circumstances.  But lots of human history says most of them wouldn't.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bullet said:

Wow.  Sounds like you knew Sandusky.

PSU is just an extreme case of Enron.  Groupthink allowed them to pretend nothing was wrong.  And fear of the leadership kept the lower level employees from reporting anything.

Happened in a number of Catholic archdioses as well.

EVERYONE on the message board would have done the right thing in similar circumstances.  But lots of human history says most of them wouldn't.

I knew some folks at Enron.  What they did ain't quite the same as murdering the souls of children.  

Every priest and every coach that ever kept their mouth shut for more than 5 seconds should have their throats slit in front of their families.  Without question.