OU sucks game week.

Wulaw Horn

There is so much on the table in this game. If we win I think we will look back at this week as the inflection point that changes the entire trajectory of this team. I’m not saying a loss dooms us to 10 more years in the desert,  UT a win speeds up the timeline, changes a lot of national perceptions about us and Sark, should really really really help to get recruiting to another level, and just be fun as fuck. 
this is maybe the most important OU game since 05, where it felt like if we didn’t beat them there we never would. 

• Hook 'Em 2

In the past we have seen our teams come out flat and look disinterested and I could never understand why of course we all know it was the coaches I guess we will see if Sark learned anything from Arkansas and have these young men running out of the tunnel with a fire up their ass

1 minute ago, Royale with cheese said:

Anybody have suggestions/alternatives for those of us with Dish and no ABC? (Also, no over-the-air possibilities--too remote.) 

Get a Fubo free trial or something with a free trial where you can stream ESPN/ABC.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know we have won a few times over the last 10 years, but I had a bad feeling about those games. I think it was lingering from the Mack blowouts. I felt a little better toward the end of Turtle’s time.

Anyway, today I feel like this is what the game is supposed to be. Two good teams playing an intense rivalry. I think we are just as good as they are, and their offense doesn’t have that inevitable feeling of the last few years. Let’s kick their ass. Hook ‘em!

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

In the past we have seen our teams come out flat and look disinterested and I could never understand why of course we all know it was the coaches I guess we will see if Sark learned anything from Arkansas and have these young men running out of the tunnel with a fire up their ass

This. I want a quick start for once. Let them play catch up and really put the pressure on. Put Sark in a position to be really aggressive and open up the playbook. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

Anybody have suggestions/alternatives for those of us with Dish and no ABC? (Also, no over-the-air possibilities--too remote.) 

If you have ESPN+, you can still stream it with your dish credentials.  The Disney, ESPN and Hulu bundle is a pretty good deal if you don’t.

On 10/6/2021 at 6:59 AM, markstanco said:

This gif never gets old. Maybe one day they will teach physics in Oklahoma.

I still feel sorry for those ponies.  Especially since their ending probably involved rape and chainsaws from those ousucks bastards.

12 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

Thanks for all the suggestions for ways to watch with no Dish/ABC, but I guess I'll just be listening to it on the Longhorn Radio Network. I tuned in to College Gameday and they were showing Spenser Rattler. He was so fucking ugly he broke my TV. 

2AA13A8D-BCF3-4EF4-9508-53162B3A38C1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Royale with cheese said:

Thanks for all the suggestions for ways to watch with no Dish/ABC, but I guess I'll just be listening to it on the Longhorn Radio Network. I tuned in to College Gameday and they were showing Spenser Rattler. He was so fucking ugly he broke my TV. 

Did the puffer web site not work for you?

On 10/6/2021 at 8:09 PM, LTtxfan said:

Ok, if you are predicting a TEXAS Win on Saturday how do the Horns get it done??

Guess I've got a little Saty mood going, but I keep seeing too many reasons for a fuckin' blOU victory...

• blOU O-line slightly > UT D-line
  • blOU rush offense should have good success against UT DE's and LB's
  • blOU WR/TE better than UT DB/LB's
  • Terrible pass rush for UT
  • blOU D-line better than UT O-line
  • blOU Defense much better at creating negative plays
  • blOU pass rush should dominate UT in 3rd and long situations
  • blOU secondary about even vs UT WR/TE
  • blOU FG Kicker better than Dicker
  • UT GOT BIJAN
  • UT punt/kickoff return units are better

Seems like this will have to be SARK's most aggressive offensive game plan that he's had at TEXAS so far.  I expect the RB's and TE's to be much more involved in the passing offense. Horns will need to win the turnover battle, steal some points somehow on Special Teams, and Casey and WRs are gonna have to ballout.  Maybe Rattler will help by playing really poorly too...

O/U at 63pts seems low for this game imo

• Destroyed the O/U with 103 points scored
  • Yeah the blOU rush offense, winning time of possession and wearing TEXAS defense down was HUGE.
  • Also the blOU D-line and LBs whipped TEXAS O-line in second half as well
  • If Xavier doesn't fumble, we win the points generated by Special Teams battle.
  • Did not predict such a great game for Xavier and Casey. 
  • Was wrong about blOU secondary vs Texas WRs
  • Texas defense had problems tackling especially the safeties 

Wish SARK would have gone back to a few more plays for Whittington in the second half.  Hard game to lose, but damn our guys just gave blOU a great game!!! 

• Hook 'Em 1

So after soaking on it a while, and seeing the feature on Game Day about Charles and Casey, I realize what a fucking jerk wad I was.  I was trying to make a stupid joke, it backfired, I doubled down instead of just admitting it was a total dick move.  Apologies to LH nation, and to the Thompson family.  I will stay away for a while and try to stop allowing a bunch of 18 year olds have such an impact on my mental health.  See you all after a while. I don't know several months at least.  I am just devastated right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/3/2021 at 12:24 PM, quigley said:

Some thoughts on the game from an OU perspective.

- The UT and OU defenses seem comparable on paper.
The Sooners run defense has improved. They held Deuce Vaughn to 3.4 y/c and 40% success rate. Leddie Brown went for 3.7 and 27%. Bijan is better than both, but we'll see if OU's DL can dominate like Arkansas's did.

OU's run defense was relatively good. Bijan's success rate was 35%. He had one epic 50 yd run where he broke 7 tackles. He's a top 2-3 back in the country if not the best.

From a positive perspective, OU isn't getting burned deep this year. However, OU's giving up 65% completion percentage, and much of it due to poor zone coverage by LB. OU missed their best safety (Turner-Yell) and a starting CB (Washington) versus KState. Washington is likely still out. Turner-Yell's availability will be key because OU replaces him with a guy who runs a 4.9 (Broiles). Washington's replaced by Davis, and he's okay but short so we'll see if UT can exploit that. The DBs haven't converted interception chances well this year either, including failing to convert any of their 3 chance vs KState.

So much for not getting beat deep this year. Worthy's a stud. When Casey had time to throw, he made OU pay.

OU's defensive 3rd down success rate is 38%, 40th among 65 P5 schools, mostly because of successful short passes on 3rd down where the LBs aren't communicating well. In addition, teams are going for 4th down an average of 4 times a game vs OU (no W.Car), tied with Cincinnati for most in the country, and they've convert 11/16. This explains why OU's defense has had to face these really long drives this year.

This was key in the 2nd half. By my count, UT went 1/6 on 3rd down after halftime.

Different from the Stoops era, OU rotates a lot of players at all levels so the 2nd half swoon the defense has seen in the past hasn't been present in the first 5 games.

OU gave up 500 yds overall, but only 171 yds and 10 points after halftime.

- I think this is the first time UT will have the better offense in the Riley era (2015-present, seven games).
The OL has been spotty and flag-prone, and this is the biggest problem for the Sooners. The RBs have contributed to the problems in pass protection by blowing blitz pick up so OU's using a FB in the backfield on passing downs.

UT's offense is better than OU's with Rattler at QB, but if Williams' WR continue to win 50-50 balls, OU's offense is better because of what Williams adds in the run game.

OU's missing the deep pass this year is due to OL issues decreasing the number of attempts, Rattler failing to see open receivers, and poor accuracy from Rattler. Rattler's arm velocity and accuracy have still been elite on short/intermediate throws. He's reacted poorly to pressure and has thrown off his back foot too much.

OU's OL and WR had their best games of the season vs UT. Whether this due to UT's deficiencies, Williams unlocking something, or a turning point for the position group remains to be seen.

The RB room has 2 scholarship players, neither very big. Both are above average, but UT's got the best RB on the field this year again. For short yardage, expect Caleb Williams to come it, and FB Hall to get some carries.

UT made Kennedy Brooks look like Franco Harris. Williams had a big short yardage run plus other plays.

The WR's are okay. One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is that the WR blocking has gotten worse over the last couple of years, limiting the bubble game and big plays off drags and other short completions. I think Willis has been underused.

OU's WRs blocked their asses off.

- OU's favored, but only by 2.5 to -4.5, and the Sooners have lost to Texas as bigger favorites several times recently. These projections still factor in preseason expectations going into week six. OU's underperformance, especially on offense, will start really showing up in the numbers in the next couple of weeks.

As usual, this early October game sets the trajectory for both programs.

The Big12 appears to have several teams capable of beating either of these teams. Iowa St has been snake bit this year, but could easily beat OU or UT. I'm more skeptical of OkState and Baylor, but both are undefeated and will be ranked.

OU's win percentage vs UT continues to climb towards even.

Receipts. Please click "Expand".

Both teams showed a lot on Saturday.

Edited by quigley