This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

27 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I would have loved to see more quick screens to WR in the second half when they were selling out to stop the run. I can’t remember if it was the 2Q or 3Q when we gained 30 yards on the pass to Brennan Thompson but I do know we never tried it again after that play. Get the ball into your athlete’s hands in space and force the defender to make a tackle. Whittington is a blocking machine on the edge. Also, it might settle your QB down a little bit to complete some easy throws.

That's what I was yelling and I've only played intramurals.  If they're selling out the run AND we the qb can't hit the broad side of a broad, then spread the field out a bit.  Get our athletes in better matchups.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

You’re right, what happened yesterday cannot possibly affect his confidence.

That’s why you see MLB managers leave HOF level professional pitchers in the game when it’s clear they can’t hit the strike zone. Their confidence (and thus that of a fr collegiate QB) is completely unshakable based on their own performance. It can only be shaken by being pulled from a game.

You don't know what you are looking at. You think QE was just wildly errant. Guys were coming free and he had to get rid of it quickly on quite a few of those wtf throws. You think Card was going to come in and somehow the LB that came completely unblocked or guys missing assignments was going to suddenly stop? QE sees the missed blocks and receivers not trying/running the right routes and he gets pulled for it? That will shake a guy's confidence as well as reinforce the "if it's not right on the money I'm not going for it" mindset by our receivers. Why the hell do you think Cain was getting yelled at on the sideline? You guys are always calling for a new guy only for the new guy to prove why he is sitting on the sideline. You would think you guys would learn by now that there is no magic elixir. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Which coach is responsible for correcting that?

So now Sark doesn’t know how to coach QBs. How do you correct something as it’s happening. Are we going to act like we haven’t seen Ewers make good reads before. Y’all are fucking insane. The kid was off yesterday, let’s just hope he rebounds in 2 weeks. Only valid complaint is we probably should have run more imo. But when they were crashing down on everything I understand why Sark went away from it. For every good run, they stuffed one for a yard or 2 loss. And put us behind the sticks.

It’s clear to me the only way we will win a game is if it’s a) at home and b) against a much more inferior opponent. I’m already seeing 5-5. Honestly, this is looking to me more like 6-6 than it is 7-5. That Ok State offense and defense yesterday was pure trash. Sanders could barely throw and they had no run game to speak of and still beat us. I’m officially in the camp that Sark is gone after three seasons. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

So now Sark doesn’t know how to coach QBs. How do you correct something as it’s happening. Are we going to act like we haven’t seen Ewers make good reads before. Y’all are fucking insane. The kid was off yesterday, let’s just hope he rebounds in 2 weeks. Only valid complaint is we probably should have run more imo. But when they were crashing down on everything I understand why Sark went away from it. For every good run, they stuffed one for a yard or 2 loss. And put us behind the sticks.

I'm going to say it - Quinn stares down his primary read and rarely moves past it. It happened during this game, during Iowa St. It happened during the drive he threw a pick against OU (missed Brennen Thompson in endzone).

He's a redshirt freshman QB playing game 4, I don't expect him to be perfect. I do expect the head coach getting paid obscene amount every year tp be aware of that, and make it easy on him - screens, short-yardage throws. Forcing the ball 30+ yards when your QB is cold is a recipe for a bad performance, and that's exactly what we got.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I guess we've reached the stage in the UT coaching cycle where a small but loyal number of irrational apologists has emerged that will excuse almost coaching failure.  Strong had several, even right up until the very end.  Herman had almost none, mainly because he's an asshole.  Sark's likeable and his play designs are top notch, so it's no surprise he has a few.

I think all of us were/are pulling for Sark, but our initial instinct when he was hired was likely the correct one.  

This forum is a microcosm of the Texas fan base and is exactly why we keep wandering in the wilderness. I will admit to apologizing for Strong because I thought he would recruit us out of this, but he turned out to NOT be the recruiter he was elsewhere. Herm I hated from day 1 and it had nothing to do with the asshole. However, college football is about recruiting. Guys who can recruit ultimately end up winning. Simple as that. Mack was a solid recruiter year over year. Once his recruiting fell of he was shit. Charlie recruited shit. Tom hit on a couple classes but his attrition was shit. If this guy can continue recruiting well then he will be ok. Despite all the oopinions we are losing because of our shortcomings. We have some talent but we also have some glaring weaknesses. Line depth/experience. Secondary depth. Pass Rush. Receiver depth. Freshman QB. All the problems we knew we had coming in are showing up on Saturdays. Not sure why people are surprised. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It’s clear to me the only way we will win a game is if it’s a) at home and b) against a much more inferior opponent. I’m already seeing 5-5. Honestly, this is looking to me more like 6-6 than it is 7-5. That Ok State offense and defense yesterday was pure trash. Sanders could barely throw and they had no run game to speak of and still beat us. I’m officially in the camp that Sark is gone after three seasons. 

OSU a bad team? They are 6-1

• Hook 'Em 1

Reserving full judgment until end of season We're 5-3 which preseason seemed about right for this point in season.

So we lost to

#6 by 1.

#11 by 7 on road.

Lost in OT on road 

Anyone not seeing how we are better this year is blind, we unquestionably are. Still a long way to go, but the trajectory is definitely up. These coaches might not be the ones to get us to the ultimate goal, but they are certainly getting us closer than we were.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This forum is a microcosm of the Texas fan base and is exactly why we keep wandering in the wilderness. I will admit to apologizing for Strong because I thought he would recruit us out of this, but he turned out to NOT be the recruiter he was elsewhere. Herm I hated from day 1 and it had nothing to do with the asshole. However, college football is about recruiting. Guys who can recruit ultimately end up winning. Simple as that. Mack was a solid recruiter year over year. Once his recruiting fell of he was shit. Charlie recruited shit. Tom hit on a couple classes but his attrition was shit. If this guy can continue recruiting well then he will be ok. Despite all the oopinions we are losing because of our shortcomings. We have some talent but we also have some glaring weaknesses. Line depth/experience. Secondary depth. Pass Rush. Receiver depth. Freshman QB. All the problems we knew we had coming in are showing up on Saturdays. Not sure why people are surprised. 

So you think Jimbo's gonna turn it around too?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You don't know what you are looking at. You think QE was just wildly errant. Guys were coming free and he had to get rid of it quickly on quite a few of those wtf throws. You think Card was going to come in and somehow the LB that came completely unblocked or guys missing assignments was going to suddenly stop? QE sees the missed blocks and receivers not trying/running the right routes and he gets pulled for it? That will shake a guy's confidence as well as reinforce the "if it's not right on the money I'm not going for it" mindset by our receivers. Why the hell do you think Cain was getting yelled at on the sideline? You guys are always calling for a new guy only for the new guy to prove why he is sitting on the sideline. You would think you guys would learn by now that there is no magic elixir. 

Oh, one of us has no idea, but it certainly isn’t me.

your claim is that we should just leave him in and let him suck utterly. That won’t affect his confidence. Such a showing has never had any effect on any players confidence. Only pulling the player has such an effect.

That is a stupid argument, and its stupidity is born out by watching coaches pull players all the time for poor play without destroying them.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SamMan said:

Now, I’m going to go straight off the deep end here and give some psycho babble bullshit because I honestly am unsure how Sark’s game management can be so poor. The way he manages these second halves strikes me as the same sort of insatiable desire to chase the thrill that you see in addicts. The lack of impulse control a drug addict has chasing a high or a gambling addict has chasing a big payoff. I know it is a classic case of confirmation bias, but watching him continue to go to Quinn time after time after time reminded me of a degenerate gambler doubling down thinking his luck was about to change.

I thought the exact same thing. Motherfucker was playing Martingale with the playcalling: if it fails, double down; if that fails, quadruple down.  Classic gambling fallacy. 

Aggressive pass attacks are fun as hell but holy shit, if you have a lead and cant complete a throw, run the fucking ball

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

it's weird, each of the 3 losses was very winnable.  Why do teams lose close games -- generally it's the defense can't get a stop.  Offense is variable in all sports. Defense wins championships.  The next 2 or 3 Texas losses will also be very close. 

today's loss in order of importance -- 1. D can't stop anything 2. Ewers can't hit anything 3. Coaches can't scheme to fix the first 2. 

Nvm

Edited by MuellerHorn

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

No, we wander because we don’t make good hires. It has nothing to do with our fans not believing or squeezing hard enough.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

No, we wander because we don’t make good hires. It has nothing to do with our fans not believing or squeezing hard enough.

No. Rushed firings with no plan makes for what has happened at Texas. That is fueled by an enraged fanbase. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

25 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

How do you correct something as it’s happening. Are we going to act like we haven’t seen Ewers make good reads before. Y’all are fucking insane. The kid was off yesterday, let’s just hope he rebounds in 2 weeks.

Yesterdays game was yesterday, descartes. 

8 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Oh, one of us has no idea, but it certainly isn’t me.

your claim is that we should just leave him in and let him suck utterly. That won’t affect his confidence. Such a showing has never had any effect on any players confidence. Only pulling the player has such an effect.

That is a stupid argument, and it’s stupidity is born out by watching coaches pull players all the time for poor play without destroying them.

This is only a stupid argument because you are reacting emotionally instead of going back and actually watching what actually happened. Watch the line. Watch the receivers. Watch us get stuffed in the running game in the second half. You guys watch the game all mad while drinking and make comments and then never go back and watch it again while really looking at it. I posted this on the other thread but I will post it here for you. Just a few plays because the video cut off the 4th qtr but you get the idea. 

42:00 Ewers lets one go and Worthy makes zero effort to go and get it. Just runs and sees its a little out of his reach and gives up. 

42:35 Bijan goes out into the flat for a pass. On his release the DE runs right past him completely free. If he was looking he would know the ball has to come out quickly and be ready for it. QE throws it in the only place he can as quickly as he can. No help from teammate. Next play I am not sure what route Cain is running but the ball location has to go to his right shoulder or else possibly get picked by the safety. 

112:48 Bijan misses his responsibility and the LB comes completely untouched causing this rushed throw. QE had a shallow crosser but even that would've been tough to get there. This one was on Bijan. 

130:30 The three layer look that someone swore we didn't run. Blitzers comes completely untouched causing QE to have to try and sidearm something around him and hope Whit makes a play. 

132:02 Sanders misses a block. Man in face where QE would throw causes to have to throw around him. Errant throw. 

144:00 Just a complete lack of effort by worthy on the deep ball. Ball lands a little short and to the right of him by two yards. Go get the ball. 

222:55 Ball is high and Worthy is trotting and makes no effort to jump and high point it. 

234:30 Blitz and has to throw it away.

235:25 Ro runs a nice route but isn't expecting the ball which hits him right in the hands and he drops it

244:45  Watch Jones get put on his back causing QE to rush this throw. Even so he knows Worthy has his man over top so he throws it for him to come back to with plenty of air underneath it and as usual Worthy seems uninterested in making a play. 

Ewers was off but if you were paying attention a lot of it was because we were allowing OSU to speed him up/throw it too early, and in some instances he was trying to throw around a free blitzer. Some of you think Card was going to come in and make this stuff going on around him NOT happen. We know Card holds the ball longer than Ewers so he would've been sacked. Secondly, receivers weren't making an effort. Every ball isn't going to be perfectly in stride. Sometimes you have to make a tough catch and we simply didn't. We have to keep QE fairly clean and someone on the receiving corp not named J-Whit has to play with some effort and want to. 

• Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I guess we've reached the stage in the UT coaching cycle where a small but loyal number of irrational apologists has emerged that will excuse almost coaching failure.  Strong had several, even right up until the very end.  Herman had almost none, mainly because he's an asshole.  Sark's likeable and his play designs are top notch, so it's no surprise he has a few.

I think all of us were/are pulling for Sark, but our initial instinct when he was hired was likely the correct one.  

I guess to me I don't want to be some irrational reactionary who just fires everybody in a couple years if we don't get instant results. 

What drive me nuts is when it becomes obvious we do need to fire a coach we have to arbitrarily wait around until the end of the year to fire him. I don't know why. Nobody else does this. The second it was clear Scott Frost was not going to work, Nebraska kicked his ass out. Georgia Tech fired their guy immediately. 

Sark still has some chances, recruiting and he has all these top talents coming in, but the second it becomes clear he needs to go, if we are right here next year, or whatever, continuing to see double digit leads blown over and over again...then he needs to go. And I hope we don't wait around for months for no reason like we have been doing. Strong was the only guy who we fired shortly after he needed to be but just because he had his moment of supreme failure at the next to last game of the season. Still I bet we would had a better shot in that last game with an interim coach.

So get it together Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yesterday what they brought out on offense and defense was pure garbage. Sanders couldn’t hit a large percentage of the throws he could normally make, their receiving core was mostly a collection of freshman and backups due to injury, and they had absolutely no running game. That was a paper Tiger 6-1 team that West Virginia beats. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Saying recruiting wins is so simple minded. Mack didn’t win simply because he recruited well. He hired plus coaches to do the things he could not and his teams were fantastic in second halves throughout his career. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I guess to me I don't want to be some irrational reactionary who just fires everybody in a couple years if we don't get instant results. 

It’s not completely irrational.  If you examine championship coaches (talking consistent conference championship winners or contenders) they often turn things around in year 2.  That’s even more applicable in the transfer portal era.  Marginal improvement in year 2 is a red flag. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, US183 said:

Does the Weber St. Coach have the same “leave him in” mentality as Sark?

Does Weber State have multiple long snappers? I don't know.

I don't have much confidence Card was going to make any difference. We have already seen Card lose these games.

Freaking Ewers had his receivers stumble not once but twice on that next to last drive. The team was determined to lose that, I don't know if some strategic chess move was all we needed. But hey if he had pulled Ewers I certainly would have understood (at least after reflecting on it), I am up for trying whatever.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Freaking Ewers had his receivers stumble not once but twice on that next to last drive.

The game wasnt lost on that drive. Stink had already started to set in just before half time. 

Plenty of drive opportunities to establish momentum and burn the clock and they gained traction on none of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

OSU is not a bad team. Neither is Tech. That's not the point though. The point is we go on the road and wilt. We get these big leads and choke. We have a chance to have a successful season and come up small.

The team knows this. That's why they are getting in fights and being too sad to sing The Eyes of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Which firings have been rushed? Jesus this is so stupid

We fired Strong when we did to hire the new hot name. Then we fired a coach who was somewhat successful to hire this guy. What about this do you not understand? Lol. We are shiny object guy. 

• Fuck You 2

I thought the exact same thing. Motherfucker was playing Martingale with the playcalling: if it fails, double down; if that fails, quadruple down.  Classic gambling fallacy. 
Aggressive pass attacks are fun as hell but holy shit, if you have a lead and cant complete a throw, run the fucking ball

Does anyone else in staff have any input to help neutralize Sark or simply disagree with him? Or is he so stubborn, it doesn’t matter? Rhetorical questions but I’m baffled too. Maybe the staff outside of Banks , WR, and the OL coach is just happy collecting paychecks, Patterson included.

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

We fired Strong when we did to hire the new hot name. Then we fired a coach who was somewhat successful to hire this guy. What about this do you not understand? Lol. We are shiny object guy. 

So which of those firings was rushed? You think we should have kept Charlie around longer? Kept Herman around longer? You seem to not understand a lot

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s not completely irrational.  If you examine championship coaches (talking consistent conference championship winners or contenders) they often turn things around in year 2.  That’s even more applicable in the transfer portal era.  Marginal improvement in year 2 is a red flag. 

I know. This got brought up with both Herman and Strong and it turned out to be accurate. 

But it is always disruptive when we fire these dudes. We have another transitional recruiting class and we seem to fall further behind for the next guy. We just have so many talent issues right now and then suddenly everybody portals out and decommits because their buddy Sark (or assistant coach whomever) left and then what chance does the next coach have to turn it around in two years?

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

holy shit, you’re THAT GUY?

Charlie Strong was the worst HC in Texas football history and YOU WANTED TO KEEP HIM?

Faze Up Lets Go GIF by FaZe Clan

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Haha 4

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's firing without a solid plan that's been the problem. Listing all those guys is making his point.

I agree we should have a solid plan when we fire someone. What’s the alternative though? If we don’t have a solid plan to just continue with someone who can’t do the job? Just because we don’t know who the guy is doesn’t mean we should just hold our dick with someone who clearly isn’t. We haven’t rushed to fire anyone. That’s a stupid statement. We fired people who couldn’t get the job done and did bad jobs hiring. The two aren’t as intertwined as you’re making it seem.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

OSU is not a bad team. Neither is Tech. That's not the point though. The point is we go on the road and wilt. We get these big leads and choke. We have a chance to have a successful season and come up small.

The team knows this. That's why they are getting in fights and being too sad to sing The Eyes of Texas.

They need to be fighting. Some guys were dogging it out there. The next time I see Worthy go up and high point a ball will be the first time I see him do it. There are still a lot of me guys on this team that need an attitude adjustment. I wouldn't be surprised if Worthy portals out this year. It's a coaches job to get teams ready to play. We all get that. Texas has been playing hard, just not making enough of those winner mentality plays that good teams make. Good teams make those every game. We are capable just inconsistent. We need 4th and 3 Worthy every game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Saying recruiting wins is so simple minded. Mack didn’t win simply because he recruited well. He hired plus coaches to do the things he could not and his teams were fantastic in second halves throughout his career. 

Remember all those championships Ron Zook won?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I know. This got brought up with both Herman and Strong and it turned out to be accurate. 

But it is always disruptive when we fire these dudes. We have another transitional recruiting class and we seem to fall further behind for the next guy. We just have so many talent issues right now and then suddenly everybody portals out and decommits because their buddy Sark (or assistant coach whomever) left and then what chance does the next coach have to turn it around in two years?

We can fire them and suddenly have portal problems and recruiting problems, or we let them continue to lose and have the exact same problems. It’s not firing bad coaches that’s an issue. It’s hiring bad coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I think we waited too long to fire Herman. But yeah we tend to hire the latest shiny object because it is boosters and board of regents people who hire the football. Amateurs who don't know what they are doing, not professionals who run athletic departments. Or at least that is what this board has told me.

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

holy shot, you’re THAT GUY?

Charlie Strong was the worst HC in Texas football history and YOU WANTED TO KEEP HIM?

Faze Up Lets Go GIF by FaZe Clan

Reread what I said. We fired him when we did so we could grab Herm before anyone else did. It was a bad plan. We could've waited until the season was over and got someone better. Strong was the new shiny object. Then Herman was the new shiny object. Then Sark was the new shiny object. See where this is going? 

• Fuck You 2

38 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Reserving full judgment until end of season We're 5-3 which preseason seemed about right for this point in season.

So we lost to

#6 by 1.

#11 by 7 on road.

Lost in OT on road 

Anyone not seeing how we are better this year is blind, we unquestionably are. Still a long way to go, but the trajectory is definitely up. These coaches might not be the ones to get us to the ultimate goal, but they are certainly getting us closer than we were.

This was a game lost between the ears. As were most of last year’s losses. I do not see that we have improved mentally. We’re soft and we’re front-runners. Someone better man the fuck up and get ahold of the team, whether that is coaches or players. We are a much more talented team with far more resources than the majority of the teams we play. This bullshit cannot fly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think we waited too long to fire Herman. But yeah we tend to hire the latest shiny object because it is boosters and board of regents people who hire the football. Amateurs who don't know what they are doing, not professionals who run athletic departments. Or at least that is what this board has told me.

The difference in how we hire baseball coaches vs football coaches is stark and shows why the baseball program is a beacon of consistency.

But even there people still want to chase the name. Just look at the debates around Woody and his hiring. 

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

I agree we should have a solid plan when we fire someone. What’s the alternative though? If we don’t have a solid plan to just continue with someone who can’t do the job? Just because we don’t know who the guy is doesn’t mean we should just hold our dick with someone who clearly isn’t. We haven’t rushed to fire anyone. That’s a stupid statement. We fired people who couldn’t get the job done and did bad jobs hiring. The two aren’t as intertwined as you’re making it seem.

It does though as we've proven to be wrong more than right on our hiring decisions. To be talking about a coach whose just 1.5yrs into this and has recruiting at a high level while having 3 somewhat expected losses by grand total of 11 points seems a little knee jerk, no? Especially given where we have been for 10+ years.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It does though as we've proven to be wrong more than right on our hiring decisions. To be talking about a coach whose just 1.5yrs into this and has recruiting at a high level while having 3 somewhat expected losses by grand total of 11 points seems a little knee jerk, no? Especially given where we have been for 10+ years.

3 unexpected losses? That’s what you’re going with? 
How about this, we fire people who can’t do the job, as evidenced by only winning one road game, losing 6 double digit second half leads, and still having the same DC. Then after that we do a better job hiring. The idea that we fired our previous guys to chase shiny objects is dumb. We fired them because they sucked. We did a bad job hiring the next guy. Again, those two things aren’t tied to each other. It is possible believe it not to fire a bad coach and hire a good one. Hell we did it at this University in 1998

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

We blow leads at home too.  To osu