This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

45 minutes ago, Modessit said:
1 hour ago, Cajun said:
I once bowled a 235 completely sauced.  

Once.

I've bowled a 232 sober. And that same month bowled a 37 after 7 Long Islands and a couple pitchers of beer.

I doubt I could beat a 37 stone cold sober. It’s the damndest shit. I was always at least decent at any sport I have ever played, even good at a few. But I couldn’t roll that goddamned ball straight if my life depended on it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't like the Sark hire, but I am encouraged this season that the team is showing improvement. Pretty much every unit on the team is playing better this year than last. Part of that is highly rated recruits are playing like highly rated recruits. Ewers looks all world. Worthy, Sanders, Banks, and Bijan all look as good as advertised. Coburn, Jamison, and Whittington are playing how we expected them to play a couple of years ago. That's something we haven't seen in years.

1 hour ago, Texasrocks said:

I didn't like the Sark hire, but I am encouraged this season that the team is showing improvement. Pretty much every unit on the team is playing better this year than last. Part of that is highly rated recruits are playing like highly rated recruits. Ewers looks all world. Worthy, Sanders, Banks, and Bijan all look as good as advertised. Coburn, Jamison, and Whittington are playing how we expected them to play a couple of years ago. That's something we haven't seen in years.

LOL

• Hook 'Em 1

I will happily take this win. ISU has beat us 3 straight years and they have kept every game close this year. They were going to be a tough game for us regardless of what Vegas said. This is a game we would've lost in years past and we found a way to win despite not executing on some key plays (missed FG, Cain's missed reception, etc). Let's survive and move on.

• Hook 'Em 4

The moment that captures Sark to me in this game, like virtually every game we have played since he’s been here, was the drive right after ISU missed the FG. 

we are up 17-7 in the middle of the third quarter, we have momentum, here is a chance to step on their throats and end the game by putting together a nice drive and scoring to put it out of reach. What do we do, sideways pass for a loss (not one of those gained yards today), a run it up in the middle of the line run, and then slow developing third down play that sees Quinn have to run. Punt, ISU scores in two seconds. Whole new game. 

we got lucky as fuck that ISU blew it and lost the game for us and I’ll take any win with this group and PK coaching defense…but my god, I have never seen a staff that so reliably have their worst moments whenever they are in a position to put the game away like clockwork. Drives me nuts. 

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

The moment that captures Sark to me in this game, like virtually every game we have played since he’s been here, was the drive right after ISU missed the FG. 

we are up 17-7 in the middle of the third quarter, we have momentum, here is a chance to step on their throats and end the game by putting together a nice drive and scoring to put it out of reach. What do we do, sideways pass for a loss (not one of those gained yards today), a run it up in the middle of the line run, and then slow developing third down play that sees Quinn have to run. Punt, ISU scores in two seconds. Whole new game. 

we got lucky as fuck that ISU blew it and lost the game for us and I’ll take any win with this group and PK coaching defense…but my god, I have never seen a staff that so reliably have their worst moments whenever they are in a position to put the game away like clockwork. Drives me nuts. 

The throw that is made is not the entire play call. Most if not all plays have multiple reads to it. Execution matters, it's Sark's job to call plays his guys can execute.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Found a way to win today. The problem under turtle tom was we lost almost every 1 score game. We're winning some of those under Steve even when we play poorly

just not accurate. We’ve won 1 and lost 2 this season. We lost the second half and got incredibly lucky there was a turnover. 2-5 last season (not going to check which were true 1 possession). Herman’s issue was all games were 1 score and generally a toss up.

2020: 4-3

2019: 3-3

2018: 7-3

2017: 1-4

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, sidis said:

The moment that captures Sark to me in this game, like virtually every game we have played since he’s been here was the drive right after ISU missed the FG. 

we got lucky as fuck that ISU blew it and lost the game for us and I’ll take any win with this group and PK coaching defense…but my god, I have never seen a staff that so reliably has their worst moments whenever they are in a position to put the game away like clockwork. Drives me nuts. 

I wouldn't call it lucky. Cook laid a perfect hit to get that ball back. Worthy ran a perfect route to get the score. Bijan and RJ wore them down in the 4th. They straight up played like shit. I do agree that this staff steps on the brakes when they can step on their throats. I just hope a win like this can teach them what they gotta do. Next week will tell us all we need to know 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Sark’s offensive scheme can take us places. We’re starting what, three sophomores and a freshman on our offensive line? Plays are there to be made for the most part; we generally fall apart with execution. He’s had a few blips this year (wildcat, I’m looking at you) but I generally think our guys are in good positions.

His commitment to PK will be his downfall if he doesn’t sort things out. This defense is putrid beyond belief on big downs. I know we don’t have Alabama’s personnel out there, but there should be enough talent on paper to do better than what we’re trotting out week after week. You can only blame your players for WIDE OPEN receivers for so long before you need to look in the fucking mirror and realize that maybe your scheme isn’t working for them.

Edited by Bodowned

17 minutes ago, sidis said:

What are you talking about? The screen is an extended running play to your fastest/shiftiest receiver. Just so happens he bobbles it and by the time he gets control the defender is on him. Then Bijan dances around on 2nd. And what kind of 3rd and long play do you think isn't slow developing to a team that is dropping 7 to 8? Come on guys. The game was called well from an offensive standpoint. Guys gotta make plays and they did when it counted. 

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, sidis said:

sideways pass for a loss (not one of those gained yards today)

That's been a staple of our offense for so long, I wouldn't know what to do if we abandoned it. Its like our "wishbone." Coaching staffs come and go, but that sideways pass lingers like a 3rd world STD.

Several previous teams would’ve folded at the end when it was this close… not seeing in this team. Even vs Tceh they didn’t quit…just should’ve never let the tortilla tossers back in the game.

Wish the ‘all gas, no brakes’  was more consistent though.  We played up to Bama and destroyed ou.  We continue let teams we should hammer hang around.  Ready to see that end, but will happily take the W today.  

Sark has now achieved a two score second half lead in nine conference games at Texas. A full conference season worth. Definitely impressive in a sense, as he’s only coached 13 conference games in total. It speaks to his ability to scheme up points.

His record with opponents spotting him two scores with limited time to get them back? 5-4. Today got him over .500, and that was a game Texas was very fortunate to win. A game you’d have to say was more of an ISU loss than a Texas win. Do with that what you will.

Who has had more 3rd and Long converted on them? Sark or Herman?

It’s got to be Sark. It genuinely feels like third and 7+ is automatic against this defense. Opponents legitimately look stupid getting ahead of the chains because then they give a run or a screen a try and it fails.

Things I see- 

Worthy- Last year Worthy was a burner and not much else. This year he is running some sick routes, getting in and out breaks much better. Growth. His next area of maturation is not getting muscled all over the field by DBs. He needs to get stronger and more physical. 

JWhitt- Coach got him slimmed down and he is much faster without losing his strength. 

Sanders- Not much to be said here. Kid is a grown ass man. 

Line- Not bad to get a line with this much experience playing good physical football. ISU does what they do, and it's tough for these guys to know who they are responsible for facing a front like ISU's. 

RBs- All of them are catching passing this year. 

Defensively the front is much more sound. Guys are playing like they are trying to play on Sundays. 

Our shortcomings are we can't get pressure on the QB, we struggle handling certain route combos, and in this particular game our secondary was biting on the RPO's and getting slants thrown behind them. ISU kept throwing those same route combos at us over and over. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, sidis said:

yes, he should have only called plays that worked that drive

17 hours ago, sidis said:

That isn’t true. JWhitt had a big gainer earlier on one of those plays.

14 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Things I see- 

Worthy- Last year Worthy was a burner and not much else. This year he is running some sick routes, getting in and out breaks much better. Growth. His next area of maturation is not getting muscled all over the field by DBs. He needs to get stronger and more physical. 

JWhitt- Coach got him slimmed down and he is much faster without losing his strength. 

Sanders- Not much to be said here. Kid is a grown ass man. 

Line- Not bad to get a line with this much experience playing good physical football. ISU does what they do, and it's tough for these guys to know who they are responsible for facing a front like ISU's. 

RBs- All of them are catching passing this year. 

Defensively the front is much more sound. Guys are playing like they are trying to play on Sundays. 

Our shortcomings are we can't get pressure on the QB, we struggle handling certain route combos, and in this particular game our secondary was biting on the RPO's and getting slants thrown behind them. ISU kept throwing those same route combos at us over and over. 

We can't afford for many of our starters to get hurt.  Thank God Ford is playing LB.

17 hours ago, bigcigar said:

just not accurate. We’ve won 1 and lost 2 this season. We lost the second half and got incredibly lucky there was a turnover. 2-5 last season (not going to check which were true 1 possession). Herman’s issue was all games were 1 score and generally a toss up.

2020: 4-3

2019: 3-3

2018: 7-3

2017: 1-4

Herman did have the benefit of Ehlinger, who pretty much personally eeked out a lot of those wins, coaching and roster be damned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Found a way to win today. The problem under turtle tom was we lost almost every 1 score game. We're winning some of those under Steve even when we play poorly

How much did you have to drink when you posted this? It isn’t remotely true.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

How much did you have to drink when you posted this? It isn’t remotely true.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/tom-herman-and-one-score-games-155030774/

We were apparently 14-12 under Herman in one-score games.  While we didn't lost most of them, we had the most in the B12 and the most losses of them in the B12.

Edited by TwiceHorn