This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

56 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

.....that's our biggest problem, i reckon. it's not "getting lucky" hiring a guy. it's that the hiring process is fucked. we got lucky with mack, but it wasn't because of a professional hiring process. it was because a certain part of our alumni with a certain amount of influence at the time wanted him.

i'm stunned, i'm pissed, i'm no longer surprised. 

Yeah, but I'm still shocked and dismayed that BMDs actually wanted Sark with his shitty resume. It was nothing to get excited about.

Edited by DFW Horn

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You are right that taking away the two best coaches in history makes Alabama worse. Gene Stallings was a damn good coach. He won an NC, had 3 SECW titles in addition, and won 10+ games four times in his 7 seasons in Tuscaloosa. Never lost more than 5 in a year. 

Gene Stallings is our Fred Akers without the NC(but oh so close)

On 11/7/2021 at 12:23 PM, HRSchenker said:

We're gonna lose to Kansas, aren't we? I'm getting 2016 vibes the same way before we played them. I bet we'll see players on the sideline throw a fit because goddammit we're Texas and we don't lose to Kansas. Well guess what Charles Omenihu, ya lost to Kansas. Fucking wake up SARK! WAKE THE FUCK UP! 

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

we've hired the same goddamn coaching resume three times in a row. thing is, we've never really had any kind of coordinated coaching search, and that's the real problem here. it's a goddamn train wreck every time, because houston alumni disagree with dallas, or one has the ascendancy over the other. they are trying to prove themselves to one another rather than hire the right fucking guy in an orderly manner. yall hate herbstreit for saying it's a cesspool here, but our money folks have a way outsized influence, way more than other schools. alabama big money guys put a whisper in an AD's ear. a texas alum hires a goddamn ad agency. 

that's our biggest problem, i reckon. it's not "getting lucky" hiring a guy. it's that the hiring process is fucked. we got lucky with mack, but it wasn't because of a professional hiring process. it was because a certain part of our alumni with a certain amount of influence at the time wanted him.

I have to disagree with this somewhat. After Mack, there weren't a ton of great options after Sexton got Saban a raise. The names were James Franklin, Jim Mora Jr, Art Briles, and Charlie. I know Mora Jr was considered and interviewed. Briles wanted the moon. Not sure on Franklin but he was considered the iffiest option given only have success at Vanderbilt. Christ, he might've been the best option given he helped rebuild Penn State into something decent. They just happen to live in a conference with a superior team they can never beat...sounds familiar. Then you had Charlie who checked a lot of the boxes: championship winning DC, talent evaluator, could change the culture. Didn't we have Korn Ferry heading that coaching search? It wasn't just Powers and Patterson. 

I agree with you on the Herman and Sark hires though. I'm not sure why we went from, hey let's get Urban whoops that didn't work out to WE HAVE TO GET SARK! I made the joke in a different thread that maybe the fans should get to run the next head coaching search since the BMDs got a turn, the AD got a turn, and the President and King Regent got a turn. Not like the fans could do any worse. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

We did allow Mack to stretch our squeaky clean image during our peak years.....We were pretty well up there in the Fulmer Cup standings back when VY could honestly tell USC to STFU because our guys were gangsta too. Lord knows how much Joe Jamail was able to quash before it hit the headlines but it seems like every year we four or five guys getting in hot water over weed, guns, DWI, fights on Dirty Sixth, robbing drug dealers, or getting a Playstation back by extralegal means, or whatever that was with Ced (RIP). Part of me thinks Mack got tired of the headaches after the Robert Joseph debacle -- after that, he quit going after the kind of kids who would have played for the U back in the day and settled for the nice kids. So long as they were (bogus) four stars, who would notice (at first)? 

6 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

We did allow Mack to stretch our squeaky clean image during our peak years.....We were pretty well up there in the Fulmer Cup standings back when VY could honestly tell USC to STFU because our guys were gangsta too. Lord knows how much Joe Jamail was able to quash before it hit the headlines but it seems like every year we four or five guys getting in hot water over weed, guns, DWI, fights on Dirty Sixth, robbing drug dealers, or getting a Playstation back by extralegal means, or whatever that was with Ced (RIP). Part of me thinks Mack got tired of the headaches after the Robert Joseph debacle -- after that, he quit going after the kind of kids who would have played for the U back in the day and settled for the nice kids. So long as they were (bogus) four stars, who would notice (at first)? 

There was some significant handling going on for a long time during Mack. I got to see some stuff first hand, but social media has really changed the way things go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I have to disagree with this somewhat. After Mack, there weren't a ton of great options after Sexton got Saban a raise. The names were James Franklin, Jim Mora Jr, Art Briles, and Charlie. I know Mora Jr was considered and interviewed. Briles wanted the moon. Not sure on Franklin but he was considered the iffiest option given only have success at Vanderbilt. Christ, he might've been the best option given he helped rebuild Penn State into something decent. They just happen to live in a conference with a superior team they can never beat...sounds familiar. Then you had Charlie who checked a lot of the boxes. Didn't we have Korn Ferry heading that coaching search. It wasn't just Powers and Patterson. 

I agree with you on the Herman and Sark hires though. I'm not sure why we went from, hey let's get Urban whoops that didn't work out to WE HAVE TO GET SARK! I made the joke in a different thread that maybe the fans should get to run the next head coaching search since the BMDs got a turn, the AD got a turn, and the President and King Regent got a turn. Not like the fans could do any worse. 

The Herman hire is the most mystifying to me. You can look back on the old site and early on in Strong's second year, the whole mob locked in on Herman as the Messiah and continued to believe in him as he shit the bed two, three, four times on the field at UH and embarrassed himself off of it with the local media and all those missteps were ignored, along also with the fact the he was unproven as a recruiter and as the coach of a team without an elite QB. We had 18 months to figure out Strong's replacement but the whole community seemed to regard Herman as some kind of Star Child, sent from heaven to rescue UT football, while not bothering to even give the time of day to any of the other coaches hired over that time span.

How his obvious personality flaws went undetected during that whole process is also mind-bottling. Didn't any of our BMDs get drunk with the guy? I can guarantee you there is zero chance Herman would not say something or do something really weird when shitfaced. I know the type. But maybe our BMDs are like that, too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jinx said:

Come on now, if we are going to make fun of Bammer, let's be sure to do it right.

Mike Price’s Strip Club Adventure

Fast-forward to the middle of April in 2003. Price was in Pensacola, Florida to play in the Emerald Coast Classic Pro-Am golf tournament. The first thing the 57-year-old husband and father of three children (two of which were his sons and assistants at Alabama under him) does is make his way to a strip club, Arety’s Angels.

According to accounts in an in-depth piece from Sports Illustrated, Price bought hundreds of dollars worth of drinks and dances. After leaving to attend a golf tournament-related dinner, he headed back to the club and was seen “kissing and fondling a waitress” there.

Things get even spicier from there, though.

Price reportedly left Arety’s Angels with two women to head back to the Crowne Plaza Hotel where he was staying. One of the women (who wouldn’t say if she was paid for sex) said they partook in a threesome that included some pretty comical pillow talk.

“We started screaming ‘Roll Tide!’ and he was yelling back, ‘It’s rolling, baby, it’s rolling.'”

One of the women to Sports Illustrated

Price denied all of this.

After playing 18 holes the next morning, Price received news that someone had racked up $1,000 worth of room service in his hotel room. One of the women had ordered everything on the menu “all in to-go boxes.”

Price handled the issue when he got back to the hotel, but news of his wild night was spreading like wildfire back in Alabama.

Alabama Fired Price Before He Coached A Game

After previous allegations of Price partying into the early morning at local Tuscaloosa bars and even making advances on university students, which athletic director Mal Moore warned him about, this incident was the last straw for University of Alabama president Robert Witt.

I wasn’t making fun, I was pointing out that Bama went through 4 coaches in short order.

I thought describing what happened as “solicitation” was good enough. I could have posted that article, but didn’t feel it was necessary.

6 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The Herman hire is the most mystifying to me. You can look back on the old site and early on in Strong's second year, the whole mob locked in on Herman as the Messiah and continued to believe in him as he shit the bed two, three, four times on the field at UH and embarrassed himself off of it with the local media and all those missteps were ignored, along also with the fact the he was unproven as a recruiter and as the coach of a team without an elite QB. We had 18 months to figure out Strong's replacement but the whole community seemed to regard Herman as some kind of Star Child, sent from heaven to rescue UT football, while not bothering to even give the time of day to any of the other coaches hired over that time span.

How his obvious personality flaws went undetected during that whole process is also mind-bottling. Didn't any of our BMDs get drunk with the guy? I can guarantee you there is zero chance Herman would not say something or do something really weird when shitfaced. I know the type. But maybe our BMDs are like that, too. 

You (by your own admission) stuck with Charlie until the end. 

Therefore, any opinion you have about coaches is irrelevant and can be discarded (immediately and righteously) out of hand.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Ah, it made sense to me. Former UT Grad assistant who made it big and won a championship with Urban. He was doing decently with Houston so that got a lot of the Houston donors horny for what he could do with all the Texas money. Strong's biggest deficiency was not being able to score points. Herman didn't have that problem at tOSU or Houston. Then you throw in LSU wanting him and the risk of losing your legacy coach to the team that's whipping your ass in recruiting. I chuckled because Herman had plenty of worts and in the long run, LSU might've done us a favor but instead we did that for them. I was a Charlie supporter till year 3 made it painfully obvious he was in over his head. I'm trying to think if we had missed on Herman, what the options would've been? We weren't keeping Charlie. You can't lose to Kansas and keep your job. You hear that Sark?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Ah, it made sense to me. Former UT Grad assistant who made it big and won a championship with Urban. He was doing decently with Houston so that got a lot of the Houston donors horny for what he could do with all the Texas money. Strong's biggest deficiency was not being able to score points. Herman didn't have that problem at tOSU or Houston. Then you throw in LSU wanting him and the risk of losing your legacy coach to the team that's whipping your ass in recruiting. I chuckled because Herman had plenty of worts and in the long run, LSU might've done us a favor but instead we did that for them. I was a Charlie supporter till year 3 made it painfully obvious he was in over his head. I'm trying to think if we had missed on Herman, what the options would've been? We weren't keeping Charlie. You can't lose to Kansas and keep your job. You hear that Sark?

Traylor was right there on the staff but I realize that schools like Texas don't promote assistants. We leave that to shit programs like OU. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Therefore, any opinion you have about coaches is irrelevant and can be discarded (immediately and righteously) out of hand.

You (by your posting history) are a dumbass. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

he went 13-1 in 2015 just down the road and was recruiting Houston pretty damn well.  The Houston BMD's locked on full when he beat the shit out of OU first game of 2016.  that is all they needed to see, it was over. the die was cast before he lost those games in 2016.

nobody cares about your personality flaws if you win.  What they didn't ask Herman was, "who are your assistant coaches going to be because you can't bring your G5 staff to Austin? we already did that with the guy you are going to replace."   or maybe he told them to fuck off if you want me I bring my G5 staff.

that question was obviously asked of Sark and he had the relationships to bring decent resume P5 guys.  getting Bo Davis does say a lot.  I'm sure he could coach anywhere he wanted given his recruiting chops.   My guess is P5 guys already knew what was up with Herman doucheness.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Traylor was right there on the staff but I realize that schools like Texas don't promote assistants. We leave that to shit programs like OU. 

They promoted an assistant from a well oiled machine not a dumpster fire.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he went 13-1 in 2015 just down the road and was recruiting Houston pretty damn well.  The Houston BMD's locked on full when he beat the shit out of OU first game of 2016.  that is all they needed to see, it was over. the die was cast before he lost those games in 2016.

nobody cares about your personality flaws if you win.  What they didn't ask Herman was, "who are your assistant coaches going to be because you can't bring your G5 staff to Austin? we already did that with the guy you are going to replace."   or maybe he told them to fuck off if you want me I bring my G5 staff.

Yeah. At the dawn of 2015, Herman’s offense at Ohio St kicked Saban’s ass with a third-string QB and then won it all. In his first year at UH, they finished a 13-1 season by beating Florida State handily, 2 years removed from their own national title. Then they open the next season by beating OU and that was that - he was the one. They stumbled a bit but then beat Lamar Jackson and Louisville in a nationally televised game. That was a pretty remarkable 2015-2016 stretch for the guy and made it easy to excuse the losses (I think WarD missed at least one of those games, etc). 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

We promoted Akers. We weren't going to promote anyone from Charlie's staff. The donors wouldn't have gone for that. Unlike OU, we haven't had the luxury of promoting an assistant since Mack ran off Muschamp, something people seemed fine with given the latter's tenure at Florida and South Carolina.

25 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You (by your posting history) are a dumbass. 

Except what I said was true, and what you said is bullshit.

Season 5 Whatever GIF by Paramount+

Edited by lilMAC25

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah. At the dawn of 2015, Herman’s offense at Ohio St kicked Saban’s ass with a third-string QB and then won it all. In his first year at UH, they finished a 13-1 season by beating Florida State handily, 2 years removed from their own national title. Then they open the next season by beating OU and that was that - he was the one. They stumbled a bit but then beat Lamar Jackson and Louisville in a nationally televised game. That was a pretty remarkable 2015-2016 stretch for the guy and made it easy to excuse the losses (I think WarD missed at least one of those games, etc). 

I guess y'all weren't listening to the radio interviews....I've said on here before, the Houston media bears some of the blame. They never held his feet to the fire after inexplicable losses or his periodic tantrums. After he lost to Navy he was on one of the local shows throwing his players under the bus right and left and the host were barely even listening, because they wanted to talk about the Rockets or some shit and get him and his cute little program off the air. 

His ace recruiting is a myth built solely on Ed Oliver's mama ordering him to play with his brother at UH. Oliver wanted to go to LSU and said as much after he was drafted. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jinx said:

Come on now, if we are going to make fun of Bammer, let's be sure to do it right.

Mike Price’s Strip Club Adventure

Fast-forward to the middle of April in 2003. Price was in Pensacola, Florida to play in the Emerald Coast Classic Pro-Am golf tournament. The first thing the 57-year-old husband and father of three children (two of which were his sons and assistants at Alabama under him) does is make his way to a strip club, Arety’s Angels.

According to accounts in an in-depth piece from Sports Illustrated, Price bought hundreds of dollars worth of drinks and dances. After leaving to attend a golf tournament-related dinner, he headed back to the club and was seen “kissing and fondling a waitress” there.

Things get even spicier from there, though.

Price reportedly left Arety’s Angels with two women to head back to the Crowne Plaza Hotel where he was staying. One of the women (who wouldn’t say if she was paid for sex) said they partook in a threesome that included some pretty comical pillow talk.

“We started screaming ‘Roll Tide!’ and he was yelling back, ‘It’s rolling, baby, it’s rolling.'”

One of the women to Sports Illustrated

Price denied all of this.

After playing 18 holes the next morning, Price received news that someone had racked up $1,000 worth of room service in his hotel room. One of the women had ordered everything on the menu “all in to-go boxes.”

Price handled the issue when he got back to the hotel, but news of his wild night was spreading like wildfire back in Alabama.

Alabama Fired Price Before He Coached A Game

After previous allegations of Price partying into the early morning at local Tuscaloosa bars and even making advances on university students, which athletic director Mal Moore warned him about, this incident was the last straw for University of Alabama president Robert Witt.

Surly-Worthy-Emma.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I think Herman could be a pretty damn good head coach for the right program but he may not be able to grow up.  

Sark and Herman are kind of 2 sides of the same coin in that respect.  Sark is just farther down the road.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think Herman could be a pretty damn good head coach for the right program but he may not be able to grow up.  

Sark and Herman are kind of 2 sides of the same coin in that respect.  Sark is just farther down the road.

Along with some other posters with knowledge on such matters, I think Herman gives every indication of being an active alcoholic. So...we fire the guy who's still drinking and hire the guy who has it licked...Kind of follows the pattern in replacing coaches -- you always hire the opposite of the last guy. (Sort of kidding, but I would not be surprised if Herman comes clean about some kind of substance abuse issue.)

Mack also seemed to be hitting the sour mash hard in those last few years, based on waistline alone. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I guess y'all weren't listening to the radio interviews....I've said on here before, the Houston media bears some of the blame. They never held his feet to the fire after inexplicable losses or his periodic tantrums. After he lost to Navy he was on one of the local shows throwing his players under the bus right and left and the host were barely even listening, because they wanted to talk about the Rockets or some shit and get him and his cute little program off the air. 

His ace recruiting is a myth built solely on Ed Oliver's mama ordering him to play with his brother at UH. Oliver wanted to go to LSU and said as much after he was drafted. 

Oh I had my doubts about Herman. My only point is that he had a pretty remarkable run for a spell, which coincided with Strong’s team falling apart. He was the obvious candidate at that time, and like you said, everyone was ready to excuse his issues.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/7/2021 at 9:42 AM, lilMAC25 said:

Sticking it out, just to stick it out, is inane. When an employee shows their utter incompetence, you don’t stick with them because you made a commitment and his direct reports need continuity. You fire the incompetent fuck and you move on.

that works in the real world, where employees are paid

in college football, until bellmont unshackles NIL, the players are nominally voluteers

On 11/7/2021 at 10:27 AM, Thatguy said:

Have you ever even run a successful business? Successful businesses have a board that empowers their talented leaders. Businesses where the board meddles constantly underperform. Business 101. Hire good people and let them do what they do.

That works in companies that have been public for 2 generations of employees.

In the vast majority of other situations, people are hired that tell the board what they want to hear.

47 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Oh I had my doubts about Herman. My only point is that he had a pretty remarkable run for a spell, which coincided with Strong’s team falling apart. He was the obvious candidate at that time, and like you said, everyone was ready to excuse his issues.

Yeah I didn't mean to seem to pick on you, as I regard you as a sage poster with good taste. (I've read every word CB published while alive and some of the posthumous stuff. And most of the authors he told me to read and so on.)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Saban's record as a first time D1 coach at Michigan State.  Even he had to work up to it.  And it took him a couple of years to improve on their previous records.

he was 9-2 but yeah, he was a first time head coach at Michigan State that had gone 3-9/5-6/6-6/5-6(0-11) and was under a fog of investigations.  not really analogous. Sark has a record as a D1 P5 coach

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

I don't get this attitude at all.

I'll take the opinion of the guy who was wrong and admitted it over the opinion of a fucker who holds a guy to an opinion he no longer believes in. The first guy is getting better; the second guy is living in the past and can't adjust to reality.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i think they are about to fuck around and find out.

mack was easy for deloss. 10 win seasons, one can rest on his laurels following a national championship, even though so many of us had issues with him. beating ou, winning big xii championships, etc, we didn't do that so well. but he still finally brought the trophy home. 

he also brought the dollars home. "come early, be loud, stay late, wear orange" was fucking brilliant. and it was occurring at a time when austin was growing up. and it also occurred at a time when half the crowd, maybe, wore orange. not sure that we've ever been loud, outside a couple of games, but the sentiment was great. he didn't just bring coaching, he brought a fucking marketing plan. that's why deloss loved him so much. mack made him his fortune, and won a national championship beside. should have won two more, if he was a good head coach. but he wasn't. he was a brilliant marketer. he convinced great players to come here. he would sometimes hold them back, but sometimes let them succeed. it was a love-hate relationship with the fans, because he never lost after ou, but he would lose against ou. just look at the trophy case. 

he built a mystique. he brought texas back to the forefront, not with coaching, but with marketing. he put players in the nfl, because he convinced nfl quality players to come here. but make no mistake, he wasn't an elite coach. he was a marketing guy. 

now we are left with that legacy. we attach our psyche to marketing. "texas, we're baa-aack". we were never really here. not in my lifetime. ou has owned us, our athletic department as far as football goes, is a fucking joke. we've hired the same coaching resume 3 times in a row now, and i was a charlie strong defender (recovered). we let the goddamn alumni run the goddamn athletic department, and that really is our legacy. thread title is "this is who steve sarkisian is."

we've hired the same goddamn coaching resume three times in a row. thing is, we've never really had any kind of coordinated coaching search, and that's the real problem here. it's a goddamn train wreck every time, because houston alumni disagree with dallas, or one has the ascendancy over the other. they are trying to prove themselves to one another rather than hire the right fucking guy in an orderly manner. yall hate herbstreit for saying it's a cesspool here, but our money folks have a way outsized influence, way more than other schools. alabama big money guys put a whisper in an AD's ear. a texas alum hires a goddamn ad agency. 

that's our biggest problem, i reckon. it's not "getting lucky" hiring a guy. it's that the hiring process is fucked. we got lucky with mack, but it wasn't because of a professional hiring process. it was because a certain part of our alumni with a certain amount of influence at the time wanted him.

Actually Mack was quite a good HC if you think about what the job actually entails.  The best skills of a HC are recruiting and hiring great assistants.   The skill set that makes someone a great coordinator or game planner is not the same skill set required to be the boss.  

Mack was very good at recruiting, he knows the landscape and built a system to pull top classes.  It’s probably fair to say he valued great evaluators over great coaching, and if facing similar short term goals that’s probably the smart move.   Get the system in place to acquire talent, hire guys who can identify said talent, then replace a guy or 2 with good coaches once things are rolling.   He just got lazy with his process.  

The last 2 dumbfucks brought their posse with them from their respective junior colleges, neither really had a clue what they were actually supposed to be doing.  

This guy 7WS should maybe know more than the last 2, but based on his history and what we have seen so far, not promising.  

If the dumbasses we hire aren’t smart enough or capable enough to build a recruiting machine, it really doesn’t matter what the booster do or don’t do, or think of one another.  NIL should be this great vehicle to get our plethora of high end donors directly involved in a more sustainable system than hoping your one T Boone or Phil Knight is getting old and tired of not winning.  

I guess with 7WS our best hope is he’s quietly spending time bedside nursing Red, trying to convince him to finance 1 more trophy before he goes.  

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It was always Urban’s offense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Actually Mack was quite a good HC if you think about what the job actually entails.  The best skills of a HC are recruiting and hiring great assistants.   The skill set that makes someone a great coordinator or game planner is not the same skill set required to be the boss.  

Mack was very good at recruiting, he knows the landscape and built a system to pull top classes.  It’s probably fair to say he valued great evaluators over great coaching, and if facing similar short term goals that’s probably the smart move.   Get the system in place to acquire talent, hire guys who can identify said talent, then replace a guy or 2 with good coaches once things are rolling.   He just got lazy with his process.  

The last 2 dumbfucks brought their posse with them from their respective junior colleges, neither really had a clue what they were actually supposed to be doing.  

This guy 7WS should maybe know more than the last 2, but based on his history and what we have seen so far, not promising.  

If the dumbasses we hire aren’t smart enough or capable enough to build a recruiting machine, it really doesn’t matter what the booster do or don’t do, or think of one another.  NIL should be this great vehicle to get our plethora of high end donors directly involved in a more sustainable system than hoping your one T Boone or Phil Knight is getting old and tired of not winning.  

I guess with 7WS our best hope is he’s quietly spending time bedside nursing Red, trying to convince him to finance 1 more trophy before he goes.  

Mack is a hall of fame football coach. He had lost the plot at the end but he's one of the best to every do it looking at his record NC (first go round) and Texas (second). Winning an NC at Texas isn't as easy as everyone likes to pretend as should be obvious by now. Just winning at Texas isn't that easy. 

He won an NC and two conference titles at a time when the Big XII frequently could make the argument of strongest conference top to bottom. 

On 11/7/2021 at 11:35 AM, Blotto said:

And yet when Mack was recruiting like a madman, we put up more wins that any other school (not named Boise St) in the '00 decade. We won one national title, would have one another without Colt getting hurt, and were a couple of bounces away from a shot at a couple of others. All of this with a second tier belief structure and business model. Makes complete sense to me. 

Could have 1 another one not would have another one.  You know what assuming does to oneself. 

17 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

This year couldn't have gone worse or shown less promise, but I'm of the "just let him ride it out" mentality. We fire him in 2-4 years rinse and repeat, we'll never get anyone decent to come here ever again. 

Bingo!  But will the horn fans show the patience needed to follow that process?  Will the president and the AD show the will and stand up against the fanbase and give Sark his 4-5 years?

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

This…. And what college fan/alum/BMD bases are not influenced by the sports media and who they think are the hottest names out there.    I don’t like it at all, but  now more than ever get baked into the cake when a school makes a hire these days.  Charlie and Tom fit this trap many of us fell in.   Sark did come out of nowhere though, but it’s possible if he had stayed at Bama another year or two and produced the numbers, he’d be the hot name for the first SEC job to come open then which at looking at trends would probably be Florida.  

I hope Sark can get this ship turned, but dang it at this point it looks like rinse and repeat.  As much as I hate to give aggy credit, they might have done the right thing when hiring Jimbo after three duds post Slocum (Fran, Sherman, Sumlin).   At least they are not the laughing stock on the field like we are now and are not going out every Saturday looking like a Chinese fire drill.  So if we do the same with Sark and show him the door, time for CDC to write the check….we have the means according to all these publications that rate the net worth of sports programs..  Right?  Time to act like it.   

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Jimbob said:

The downfall of Mack had to do with some of his first and second round of key coordinators and assistants leaving for their own HC jobs or key staff member for those who took HC jobs.   Greg Davis being the exception and the brilliance of Vince and Colt insured him longer job security than he probably deserved.   Had Vince and Colt not been able to make Greg Davis look like a genius, no telling where Mack’s legacy would’ve ended at Texas.  As we saw in the later days of Mack, he was slow to make changes to staff and some of his hires were less than stellar (see Manny Diaz).   And let’s not go into detail with the four or five star recruits who were duds and those we lost who won Heismen or two who were not four or five stars. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat

As a non booster, somewhat checked out fan, both Herman and Strong seemed like good hires at the time.  Good records, lots of media “mo.” I get that for those that pay closer attention, or were in Houston, may have had doubts, but it looked totally defensible from the outside.

Sark….looked weird.  A retread drunk who did a couple of years with Saban?  I mean, there have been bigger rags to riches success stories, but still….

We actually had a thread about it in cloakroom, where generally the only rule is No Football.  And there was a lot of head scratching.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Mack is a hall of fame football coach. He had lost the plot at the end but he's one of the best to every do it looking at his record NC (first go round) and Texas (second). Winning an NC at Texas isn't as easy as everyone likes to pretend as should be obvious by now. Just winning at Texas isn't that easy. 

He won an NC and two conference titles at a time when the Big XII frequently could make the argument of strongest conference top to bottom. 

Two whole conference titles, eh?

What an idiotic metric to throw in considering the point you are pushing.

jfc

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

So if we do the same with Sark and show him the door, time for CDC to write the check….we have the means according to all these publications that rate the net worth of sports programs..  Right?  Time to act like it.   

Write this check to whom, exactly? Sark for the buyout? Then what?

57 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

As a non booster, somewhat checked out fan, both Herman and Strong seemed like good hires at the time.  Good records, lots of media “mo.” I get that for those that pay closer attention, or were in Houston, may have had doubts, but it looked totally defensible from the outside.

Sark….looked weird.  A retread drunk who did a couple of years with Saban?  I mean, there have been bigger rags to riches success stories, but still….

We actually had a thread about it in cloakroom, where generally the only rule is No Football.  And there was a lot of head scratching.

I think the difference here is CDC put more weight on Sark's rep among former players and guys he coached with, rather than a Korn Ferry type outfit. The story was "brilliant, brilliant football mind, great guy, great recruiter, worked with 11 future NFL QBs, but....also went into Leaving Las Vegas mode for a year or two."

It's a roll of the dice for sure. Traylor also would have been a roll of the dice, but for some reason, according to the prevailing wisdom in the world of coach hiring, a guy like Sark is a better bet than a guy like Traylor, who has done nothing but excel wherever he's been, um, I guess because he has a proven track record of going 7-5?

Experience is extremely overvalued when compared to untapped potential.  

31 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Two whole conference titles, eh?

What an idiotic metric to throw in considering the point you are pushing.

jfc

Considering that no one else won more than one in the time he was at Texas, and aside from Texas and OU and Nebraska no one in the real Big XII ever won more than one...it's pretty damn good? No one will argue that Bob Stoops wasn't a better coach and that's what MB was banging his head on.