This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yes, but the small fan opinions affect the big fans who influence the decision making. That pressure makes coaches make decisions for the short term that hurt the long term. It's a vicious cycle.

should we have kept Herman?

12 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Zero goalposts were moved. I simply pointed out the truth of your analogy. 

Sticking it out, just to stick it out, is inane.

In my analogy the guy isn't beating the woman. She is the problem, and the guy was a largely regular dude who walked into her whirlwind of a life. Texas is the smoking hot girl who has everything, and seems to be perfectly normal on the surface, only to find out that she is into cutting and secretly has a oxy addiction. We have all dated the crazy girl that had you questioning "if you were this bad a mate" before. Shit, some of you even married her. Every coach comes in here after doing at least a serviceable job at their prior stop, and gets gasoline poured on them while we are standing there looking crazy with our mascara running, holding the match

wink-crying.gif

Edited by Thatguy
  • Like 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

absolutely not. when you have the opportunity to hire a guy known as "7 win Steve", you move with the quickness. Now granted, it was certainly arrogance to think we could  reach those lofty heights this season, as it will take some time for Sark to get his pieces in place. But I don't think its out of the picture that Texas will be sniffing 7 wins as early as next season, maybe 2023.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I don’t miss Tom Herman, but this does make you think would the last 12 years have been just as good with Mack Brown. Maybe even better.

For fucks sake I hate you for putting that shit in my head 

See the source image

Truth is. I bet we would have a better over all record with Mack still being here and hell maybe maybe even possibly turning over the program as he retires in better shape 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don’t miss Tom Herman, but this does make you think would the last 12 years have been just as good with Mack Brown. Maybe even better.

After the one losing season in 2010, he got things straightened out enough to win at least 8 per year.  I'm inclined to say yes, at this point we'd be much better off if we'd just kept Mack Brown after 2013.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Yes why not? COIVD fucked us and we'd been at least 9-3... would we fire him then? Herman is a better coach than Sark. Mack is a better coach than the last 3 bozos hired... we can't identify coaching or talent. Football program sucks from top to bottom..  

Just now, nineliveslost said:

For fucks sake I hate you for putting that shit in my head 

See the source image

Truth is. I bet we would have a better over all record with Mack still being here and hell maybe maybe even possibly turning over the program as he retires in better shape 

of course we would have because we never would have hired Chuck Strong.  we'd be winning 8-9 games a year with a potential for 10 every few years.  kind of like where we were with Herman. 

Look, I was the front of the line in the fire Mack crowd, I shat on him nonstop.   With that said, I’m was 100% wrong.  I would get on my knees and beg him to come back to fix this shit.  North Carolina is a top 10 team and landing 5 stars…

Edited by victory88

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

Mack is still winning with. “Lesser talent” and a smaller recruiting base”. We also fired Mack after an 8-4 season lol 

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Who knows. I didn't like the Herman hire. I didn't like the Sark hire either. Herman could've won here given the right circumstances and support, though it may not have been at the clip someone with a better offensive philosophy could get. But the big issue is we keep setting every coach back by putting them on the hot seat, thus losing us players to transfer and ruining a couple recruiting cycles. Why are we in the QB situation we are in? Because we fired the coach, and the 5 star QB decided to take his talents elsewhere, as did a handful of other players. As did some guys who left early for the NFL that might of stayed if they didn't think they had to play in an entirely different system. We will do this again with Sark, and set the program back YET again. We are already hurting it by declaring him on the hot seat year one. Teams can already negatively recruit against him, and our track record supports everything they will say to a potential recruit to flip them. Keep watching.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Mack is still winning with. “Lesser talent” and a smaller recruiting base”. We also fired Mack after an 8-4 season lol 

Who was a win away from a Big 12 title that same year lol. Last game was 35 degrees in Waco against the best team Baylor ever fielded.. sucks. 

Just now, UTEX_ME said:

Yes why not? COIVD fucked us and we'd been at least 9-3... would we fire him then? Herman is a better coach than Sark. Mack is a better coach than the last 3 bozos hired... we can't identify coaching or talent. Football program sucks from top to bottom..  

surprisingly, DKR was very much in on the hire of Mack v. Barnett.  we lost DKR, fired Mack, Patterson was sent on a mission, Herman had a chance but ended up being a douche(as well as other rumored things).  we don't have anyone who can identify football coaches anymore.

1 minute ago, UTEX_ME said:

Who was a win away from a Big 12 title that same year lol. Last game was 35 degrees in Waco against the best team Baylor ever fielded.. sucks. 

We divorced our pain in the ass wife with a no gag reflex for a girl that promised us anal but reneged 

Who knows. I didn't like the Herman hire. I didn't like the Sark hire either. Herman could've won here given the right circumstances and support, though it may not have been at the clip someone with a better offensive philosophy could get. But the big issue is we keep setting every coach back by putting them on the hot seat, thus losing us players to transfer and ruining a couple recruiting cycles. Why are we in the QB situation we are in? Because we fired the coach, and the 5 star QB decided to take his talents elsewhere, as did a handful of other players. As did some guys who left early for the NFL that might of stayed if they didn't think they had to play in an entirely different system. We will do this again with Sark, and set the program back YET again. We are already hurting it by declaring him on the hot seat year one. Teams can already negatively recruit against him, and our track record supports everything they will say to a potential recruit to flip them. Keep watching.

We aren’t the one out there losing games and failing at recruiting.

Retaining bad hires in upper management simply for continuity is stupid and dangerous to a brand

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

surprisingly, DKR was very much in on the hire of Mack v. Barnett.  we lost DKR, fired Mack, Patterson was sent on a mission, Herman had a chance but ended up being a douche(as well as other rumored things).  we don't have anyone who can identify football coaches anymore.

I don't pretend to know the ends and outs of DKR vs the University.. but wasn't he over-ruled on the Akers / McWilliams / Mackovic hires? Interesting Mack was the one that worked out if he had a large say in his hiring. 

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Dear god, no.

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

Mack needed a hard reset after coasting for several years at the end here. He got that and is STILL underachieving mightily at UNC.

Sark may or may not be the ultimate answer for us but we sure as shit wouldn't be much better off if we'd retained Herman or never fired Mack.

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Look, I was the front of the line in the fire Mack crowd, I shat on him nonstop.   With that said, I’m was 100% wrong.  I would get on my knees and beg him to come back to fix this shit.  North Carolina is a top 10 team and landing 5 stars…

North Carolina isn’t a Top 10 team, but they sure are landing huge football recruits at a basketball school, despite having a similar record as us.

Edited by lilMAC25

the coach is the one that puts himself on the hot seat, not the infamous Dodds "$200 donor".  they can negatively recruit him because the team he rolls out sucks and looks like they haven't been coached.   

I know we won't fire him for 4 years because we have to see the titanic actually sink after we've already seen it hit the iceberg.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

the coach is the one that puts himself on the hot seat, not the infamous Dodds "$200 donor".  they can negatively recruit him because the team he rolls out sucks and looks like they haven't been coached.   

I know we won't fire him for 4 years because we have to see the titanic actually sink after we've already seen it hit the iceberg.

Nobody's going to allow him to stay a 4th year after 3 losing seasons.

I'll be surprised if he's allowed to stay a 3rd year after 2 losing seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

We aren’t the one out there losing games and failing at recruiting.

Retaining bad hires in upper management simply for continuity is stupid and dangerous to a brand

Manny Fucking Diaz went on to look competent after leaving here and rebuild his career. Same with Bryan Harsin at his stops leading to the job he just took. Muschamp looked like he forgot how to call plays in 2010. Jay Norvell is doing his thing.

If a company can't seem to hire quality talent despite that talent being better before or after the stop there, its not the talent they are hiring but the company itself. Its really not that hard to figure out. We are the problem at this point.

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Get a grip. One of the reasons we "fired the coach" was because the 5-star QB absolutely abhorred that coach and decommitted from Texas because of it. (Don't get me started on the Brockermeyer situation.) Now that he's gone, there's a chance we get the 5-star QB through the portal BECAUSE of the new guy being an alleged "quarterback whisperer." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Manny Fucking Diaz went on to look competent after leaving here and rebuild his career. Same with Bryan Harsin at his stops leading to the job he just took. Muschamp looked like he forgot how to call plays in 2010. Jay Norvell is doing his thing.

If a company can't seem to hire quality talent despite that talent being better before or after the stop there, its not the talent they are hiring but the company itself. Its really not that hard to figure out. We are the problem at this point.

And the company has to keep firing and hiring talent until one of those guys changes the culture.

it’s not that hard to figure out. You don’t keep bad/unproductive hires just because you’ve made bad hires in the past.

Edited by lilMAC25

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Nobody's going to allow him to stay a 4th year after 3 losing seasons.

I'll be surprised if he's allowed to stay a 3rd year after 2 losing seasons.

We’re not gonna let him lead us into the SEC with two losing seasons under his belt. Sark has to completely overhaul the roster at basically every position. I think it’s too much for him to accomplish at this point.

4 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

North Carolina isn’t a Top 10 team, but they sure are landing huge football recruits at a basketball school, despite having a similar record as us.

I think he was being sarcastic but as I mentioned above, Mack is underachieving with UNC all while still not being able to beat a traditional rival in FSU -- just like he did here. That we have utterly fucked up finding Mack's replacement to this point does not mean we made a mistake parting ways with Mack in 2013. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

I don't pretend to know the ends and outs of DKR vs the University.. but wasn't he over-ruled on the Akers / McWilliams / Mackovic hires? Interesting Mack was the one that worked out if he had a large say in his hiring. 

yes DKR was involved with some former players who overruled Dodds on Barnett for Mack.  and yes DKR didn't want Akers, who turned out to be pretty damn good, he wanted his DC Mike Campbell.  He wanted McWilliams, as a former player, but when Miami and the next season happened he was pushed aside.  the former players brought him back into the process.

I actually talked to DKR on a SW flight right after Mack was hired.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I think he was being sarcastic but as I mentioned above, Mack is underachieving with UNC all while still not being able to beat a traditional rival in FSU -- just like he did here. That we have utterly fucked up finding Mack's replacement to this point does not mean we made a mistake parting ways with Mack in 2013. 

Agreed. 

I would argue that we didn’t move fast enough after the season and that hurt our chance to make a vastly better hire than Chuck.

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

Agreed. 

I would argue that we didn’t move fast enough after the season and that hurt our chance to make a vastly better hire than Chuck.

Yes. And if you believe the Saban stuff -- I do, actually -- Mack scuttling that possibility leaves a really, really bad taste in my mouth when I think back to his time in Austin minus the glorious 2005 season, of course.

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

And the company has to keep firing and hiring talent until one of those guys changes the culture.

it’s not that hard to figure out. You don’t keep bad/unproductive hires just to keep them.

No, what happens is that top talent steers clear of your organization due to your hiring and firing practices. Look no further than all the "no thanks" we've gotten despite the riches and recruiting pool we have. At the end you find yourself hoping to get lucky with some up and comer or no name guy. That's where we are. Can't lure top talent, and hoping someone finally works out. Have you ever even run a successful business? Successful businesses have a board that empowers their talented leaders. Businesses where the board meddles constantly underperform. Business 101. Hire good people and let them do what they do.

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

No, what happens is that top talent steers clear of your organization due to your hiring and firing practices. Look no further than all the "no thanks" we've gotten despite the riches and recruiting pool we have. At the end you find yourself hoping to get lucky with some up and comer or no name guy. That's where we are. Can't lure top talent, and hoping someone finally works out. Have you ever even run a successful business? Successful businesses have a board that empowers their talented leaders. Businesses where the board meddles constantly underperform. Business 101. Hire good people and let them do what they do.

Top talent has been steering clear of us since 2008 or so. Keeping shitty loser coaches just steers more talent away from us.

Edited by lilMAC25

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't know that we influence them, but I think places like this are a macrocosm of BMD thinking.

I really don't.  They're not as concerned with the minutia.  They don't worry about optics and other bullshit that internet people get all wrapped up in.  They drive for results.  They really don't think about the program the way we do.

One thing they do like, is access.  That's potentially part of the culture problem, but that's no different at Texas, than any other bigtime program with bigtime donors.  It's not unique.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Texaspython said:

The people clamoring for Sark to be fired are the same people who thought it was smart to fire Mack. The lack of self awareness with some of you is astounding. 

Wait.  Should we have not fired Mack?

It certainly loosed a shitstorm, but I am pretty certain Mack was done here.  He seems to be done at UNC, too, after a very brief run.  I don't have any qualms about that.

• Like 1

The people clamoring for Sark to be fired are the same people who thought it was smart to fire Mack. The lack of self awareness with some of you is astounding. 

It was 100% the right decision to get rid of Mack when we did. Because we haven’t figured things out in the interim does NOT change that fact. Dios mio, you clowns need to get your shit together.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Thatguy said:

You started a thread saying this is who he is after a few games in year one. This is an intelligent board not SECRant. We can all read the tea leaves.

I don’t think you can. You’re here rabidly defending a barely .500 coach (90 or so games into his HC career).

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What would you do to change the culture?

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And how long, exactly, should it take?  Is a year reasonable? Two?  Three?

What if the culture problem is the people who hired you?

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Thatguy said:

What if the culture problem is the people who hired you?

What if?  You've suggested this time and again. Others seem to agree with you.

Explain in detail exactly how this works.  What is the culture problem with the people hiring the coach, and how does it manifest in continued shitty football teams at Texas?  Be specific please.