This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

24 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think the difference here is CDC put more weight on Sark's rep among former players and guys he coached with, rather than a Korn Ferry type outfit. The story was "brilliant, brilliant football mind, great guy, great recruiter, worked with 11 future NFL QBs, but....also went into Leaving Las Vegas mode for a year or two."

It's a roll of the dice for sure. Traylor also would have been a roll of the dice, but for some reason, according to the prevailing wisdom in the world of coach hiring, a guy like Sark is a better bet than a guy like Traylor, who has done nothing but excel wherever he's been, um, I guess because he has a proven track record of going 7-5?

Experience is extremely overvalued when compared to untapped potential.  

Traylor wasn't even under consideration, though. He had a stint at Texas under Strong, a stint at SMU, some time on staff for abysmal Arkie teams and then coached UTSA to 7-5 in his first season. There would have been a complete meltdown at the time. 

Meyer was the play, it didn't work, then you go best available.  You bring up an interesting point about experience versus potential.  Hiring at bluebloods is different. The idea for hiring at bluebloods is you get your guy and he succeeds and doesn't go anywhere. Building a long-term blue blood program via recruiting and culture is a different task than getting a G5 or even mid-tier competitive.  I'd argue that you are more likely to get success from an assistant who's been on the inside of a long-term, culture build than from the mercenary who is rising through the ranks at different stops. After that, someone who has been in place a long time at a mid-tier and has reached stability, continuity, and wins. 

Something to think about when looking at Mel Tucker. Raiding the portal and getting some quick wins is very different than building a program. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Two whole conference titles, eh?

What an idiotic metric to throw in considering the point you are pushing.

jfc

No shit. Only winning 2 conference titles in 16 years, given the resources at his disposal, made Mack one of the most under-achieving coaches of his time.

11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Considering that no one else won more than one in the time he was at Texas, and aside from Texas and OU and Nebraska no one in the real Big XII ever won more than one...it's pretty damn good? No one will argue that Bob Stoops wasn't a better coach and that's what MB was banging his head on. 

Which one(s) had Mack's resources? 2 conference titles in 16 years is not a selling point for his success.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think the difference here is CDC put more weight on Sark's rep among former players and guys he coached with, rather than a Korn Ferry type outfit. The story was "brilliant, brilliant football mind, great guy, great recruiter, worked with 11 future NFL QBs, but....also went into Leaving Las Vegas mode for a year or two."

It's a roll of the dice for sure. Traylor also would have been a roll of the dice, but for some reason, according to the prevailing wisdom in the world of coach hiring, a guy like Sark is a better bet than a guy like Traylor, who has done nothing but excel wherever he's been, um, I guess because he has a proven track record of going 7-5?

Ehh, starting to think CDC put more weight on Sark being well dressed than anything else.

• Hook 'Em 2

Something to think about when looking at Mel Tucker. Raiding the portal and getting some quick wins is very different than building a program. 

Michigan State has been brought up multiple times.

Honestly, they haven’t done much to earn the pub. They beat an overrated Michigan at home while giving up 550 yards. They did handle a mediocre Miami team.

They’ve played the 4 worst teams in the Big 10. They’ve given up 500+ yards to Western Kentucky, almost 600 to Purdue. 550 to Michigan. Were outgained by almost 200 yards versus Nebraska.

We’d likely have the same record as them if we switched schedules.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 11/7/2021 at 12:24 PM, Blotto said:

You gotta learn how to count. 84,87,90,97,98,00,01,03,04,06,07. But basically they won big with Bear and Saban, two of the  greatest 5 coaches of all time? HC Record outside of those two guys in your specified time period is 171-105 (.62%). Not terrible, but would translate into 7.4 wins a year based on a 12 game schedule. All that just reinforces my opinion that the HC is single biggest determinant. Take away Bear Bryant and Nick Saban, and Alabama aint all that.  Take away Royal and Brown and Texas is worse. 

Edit - 171-105 (.62%) record was from wiki, who doesnt reflect games that bama had to vacate for cheating. looking at sports reference I get 195-96 (.67%), so basically 8-4 in a 12 game season. Pretty good, not elite.  

I missed the bottom part here where the percentage reflects the record. 67% gets you 9-3 not 8-4. Every coach they’ve hired since Bryant has won 10 games at least once in their tenure. You wouldn’t take guaranteed 9-3 for 24 years in between the two greatest coaches of all time? I feel like that’s bullshit lol. From 1959-1975 Royal was a win machine, from 1998-2009 Mack won like it was going out of style. Outside of that Texas probably averages 6-7 wins. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Traylor wasn't even under consideration, though. He had a stint at Texas under Strong, a stint at SMU, some time on staff for abysmal Arkie teams and then coached UTSA to 7-5 in his first season. There would have been a complete meltdown at the time. 

Meyer was the play, it didn't work, then you go best available.  You bring up an interesting point about experience versus potential.  Hiring at bluebloods is different. The idea for hiring at bluebloods is you get your guy and he succeeds and doesn't go anywhere. Building a long-term blue blood program via recruiting and culture is a different task than getting a G5 or even mid-tier competitive.  I'd argue that you are more likely to get success from an assistant who's been on the inside of a long-term, culture build than from the mercenary who is rising through the ranks at different stops. After that, someone who has been in place a long time at a mid-tier and has reached stability, continuity, and wins. 

Traylor signing the contract extension at UTSA and not taking the Tech job will give us enough time to evaluate him.  I'd like to see what he can do to build on this season minus a few players he will lose.   If he has another season like this one next year including scaring the crap out of us, then I'm on board.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I love Traylor and what he's done here in San Antonio, but you have to recognize the level of CYA that goes on in an AD like Texas. If Sark fails, you can lean on your judgment that he tore it up as an OC at Bama and recovered from addiction (good story). If Traylor fails, there's less data to point to as justification for the wild hire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Honestly, they haven’t done much to earn the pub. They beat an overrated Michigan at home while giving up 550 yards. They did handle a mediocre Miami team.

They’ve played the 4 worst teams in the Big 10. They’ve given up 500+ yards to Western Kentucky, almost 600 to Purdue. 550 to Michigan. Were outgained by almost 200 yards versus Nebraska.

Just feels like even 1 or 2 transfers make a big difference - MSU, Miami and Baylor especially.  Dillon Doyle from Iowa is the leading tackler for Baylor with a sack, an INT and a FF. Siaki Ika from LSU has 3.5 sacks.    (Though for Baylor, having a bunch of seniors and fifth-year COVID players helped too) 

Kenneth Walker is a Heisman candidate after transferring from Wake for Michigan State. 

Miami got Tyrique Stevenson from Georgia (2.5 TFL, 0.5 sacks, 1 INT), Deandre Johnson from Tennessee (2.5 sacks) and Rambo from OU (860 yards, 5 TDs). 

When I look at Baylor and MSU last year to this year, it tells me that impact portal players needed to see a year of a new coaching regime before committing.  Sark was behind the ball when he was hired, mostly because of how long Urban dragged it out with us, and players entering the portal see exactly what they need to see if they are going to choose Texas in the offseason. 

I need to see a full offseason (non-COVID, non-coaching change) to determine who Sark is and what he can do with the portal.  We will have a lot of openings for guys who want to make a change.  Especially once the real coaching change shuffle starts to happen in December. 

Does 7WS have a track-record of rehabbing, or has it been one and done? I ask because it seems possible that the intense discomforts of the hot seat seem like they could lead to a relapse, which probably has some bearing on cancellation with no - or seriously reduced - buyout. 

22 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

They needed some big help from the refs to even beat Michigan. They’re massively overrated.

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They needed some big help from the refs to even beat Michigan. They’re massively overrated.

My favorite part of the football season is early to mid-November, when every team except the clear leaders have losses and close wins.  And yet they're overrated. Who goes in front of either Michigan or MSU:

Okie Lite: OK, I can see the case, but it's not at all a clear one.

A&M or Ole Miss: Both of these two loss teams could very well beat these two B1G teams. A&M has better wins on their resume for sure, but those losses are not good. There will be screaming if you rate them ahead of the 1 loss teams. 

Wake: No. This is a team with zero quality wins, some close not-great wins, and they went down against a team that's not all that good.

UTSA: No, I know they are a sexy team but a Sun Belt undefeated team is just so far below a one loss P5 B1G team. 

BYU: Nope, a two loss BYU is at best even with these two

Bottom line, these teams are in no way massively overrated, to be overrated there has to be a good case that many teams behind them are better. The ones with the best case have more losses. 

On 11/7/2021 at 9:54 AM, immamac said:

I don’t miss Tom Herman, but this does make you think would the last 12 years have been just as good with Mack Brown. Maybe even better.

Mack Brown refused to even watch film of recruits that his assistants were begging him to watch. His policy was that the players could not be pursued unless he watched film and gave the OK. He was ridiculously lazy the last 5 years he was here, and he dug the talent/culture morass that we may never crawl out of.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

Not sure on Franklin but he was considered the iffiest option given only have success at Vanderbilt. Christ, he might've been the best option given he helped rebuild Penn State into something decent. They just happen to live in a conference with a superior team they can never beat...sounds familiar.

James Franklin covered up rape. Also, Penn State is THE school in Pennsylvania. Recruiting there is made easier because star players in the northeast (such as they are) don't have many local options other than Penn State with big brand identities. We have far more in-state and regional competition for recruits.

Psh, as soon as a team takes a loss they shouldn't, they're immediately "overrated." 

In the specific case of Michigan State, they lost to Purdue who is likely a better team. They won by double digits. Put up 600 yards of offense. If you thought MSU was better, that’s due to being overrated.

Just came out yesterday that supposedly the refs took away a Michigan score they shouldn’t have. That and Miami are their two wins.

Four wins over the four worst Big 10 teams. Beat a 5-4 G5 team while giving up 500 yards of offense. Beat an FCS team that is last in their conference.

If they had played good teams to start the season, they likely lose and lose confidence. If they play Arkansas in game 2 at Pig, they’re likely taken to the woodshed. We’ve played 5 teams that are on par, if not better than, their best opponent.

I’m not sure where they rank compared to us, but their defense has been run over. And it’s unlikely they’ve played games in which the refs refuse to call offensive penalties.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Just feels like even 1 or 2 transfers make a big difference - MSU, Miami and Baylor especially.  Dillon Doyle from Iowa is the leading tackler for Baylor with a sack, an INT and a FF. Siaki Ika from LSU has 3.5 sacks.    (Though for Baylor, having a bunch of seniors and fifth-year COVID players helped too) 

Kenneth Walker is a Heisman candidate after transferring from Wake for Michigan State. 

Miami got Tyrique Stevenson from Georgia (2.5 TFL, 0.5 sacks, 1 INT), Deandre Johnson from Tennessee (2.5 sacks) and Rambo from OU (860 yards, 5 TDs). 

Most of those are also strong culture guys. Players coming from Iowa and Wake, especially, are most likely not primadonnas. They're coming from programs without a lot of glitz where players are expected to grind it out. They brought that work ethic and (most likely) humility to their new schools.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Only makes a big difference with good coaching. The fact that Sark has never come back down by 10 and won 8 games at most with his own guys at Washington is a big red flag even if he was a drunk. PK is a good defensive coordinator and I still say he is suffering from the Mackovic -  Leon Fuller dynamic when Fuller was not allowed to do his job his way by the head coach. All the other coaches except WR have very good reputations of doing good work. Only guy that got run out of Atlanta sober and was not that great on his own is Sark. At the end of the day blaming anyone other than Sark will prove short sighted and that is unfortunate and I hate it is happening to us.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Have you seen Kenneth Walker III carry the ball?

Have you seen Kenneth Walker III carry the ball?

On Tv? Sure but not much. I did see that he averaged under 5 per carry last year.

Have you seen Bijan Robinson (not the III) carry the ball?

Is Walker more Ron Dayne or Cedric Benson good? Or Rickey Williams/Jamaal Charles good?

I’m not sure your point and whether it was sarcasm or whether you believe an RB on his own warrants Top 10 attention. But you have inspired me to watch more KW3.

Most teams in the top 10 will have some pretty obvious flaws every year. That's why they have losses. In fact, I'll go farther than that-- most years, at least one of the teams in the CFP is revealed to have some pretty glaring flaws and gets run out of the building.  

Doesn't change the fact that unless you can point to the teams that should be ranked ahead of them and explain why, then calling them "overrated" is meaningless. 

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Does 7WS have a track-record of rehabbing, or has it been one and done? I ask because it seems possible that the intense discomforts of the hot seat seem like they could lead to a relapse, which probably has some bearing on cancellation with no - or seriously reduced - buyout. 

This is a shitty thing to wish on a person. 

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Traylor signing the contract extension at UTSA and not taking the Tech job will give us enough time to evaluate him.  I'd like to see what he can do to build on this season minus a few players he will lose.   If he has another season like this one next year including scaring the crap out of us, then I'm on board.  

The silver lining of Sark likely being here through 2024 is that, unlike how it ended up with Herman, is that the timeline over the next three years is well suited to evaluate guys with Texas/SEC connections like Traylor, Aranda, McGuire, and Napier.

Will we fuck it up and relegate the program to Tennessee of the West status? Probably, because We're Texas™️ and that's how it goes. But unlike the most recent mad scramble, there could be some options.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

As a non booster, somewhat checked out fan, both Herman and Strong seemed like good hires at the time.  Good records, lots of media “mo.” I get that for those that pay closer attention, or were in Houston, may have had doubts, but it looked totally defensible from the outside.

Sark….looked weird.  A retread drunk who did a couple of years with Saban?  I mean, there have been bigger rags to riches success stories, but still….

We actually had a thread about it in cloakroom, where generally the only rule is No Football.  And there was a lot of head scratching.

Charlie Strong never made any sense.. And neither did Sark.

• Hook 'Em 2

MSU.

their defense is worse than ours in spite of a far weaker schedule against less talented teams. FEI has them lower than us. They give up more yards per game than us. Hell they even had a bye week before their only above average opponent. And it was a home game too. Not only are we playing better teams the timing of ours is far worse.

1 minute ago, ChickenNuggets said:

I disagree Charlie had been talked about for jobs ever since his Florida days and was passed up over again and again. Once he got his chance he built his program up to 11 and 12 wins before getting to Texas. He was on an upward trajectory, ultimately he proved to be over his head and being able to live like a fat cat after this job and being mentioned in the divorce proceedings broke him completely. Seven Win Steve as someone warned us won 8 games at most with his own guys. Sark is the only one that did not make sense at all and then the asshole made us believe by hiring what seemed to be a good staff. Actually I still think it is a pretty good staff and the guy at the top can't get his staff to properly perform.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

I missed the bottom part here where the percentage reflects the record. 67% gets you 9-3 not 8-4. Every coach they’ve hired since Bryant has won 10 games at least once in their tenure. You wouldn’t take guaranteed 9-3 for 24 years in between the two greatest coaches of all time? I feel like that’s bullshit lol. From 1959-1975 Royal was a win machine, from 1998-2009 Mack won like it was going out of style. Outside of that Texas probably averages 6-7 wins. 

giphy.gif

But really my point was just to push back on the idea that the reason Texas doesnt win is because the "University doesnt care about winning" or "We should have a culture more like Alabama." Thats easy to say, only in the decade of 98-08 when Mack had it rolling, Texas was as successful as anybody and Alabama was  floundering (relatively) with Dubose, Shula, and to a lesser extent Fran and their culture didnt do jack shit for them.  Then they hired Saban and immediately went on the greatest period of CFB success in my lifetime. The culture that individual coaches build has a far greater effect than any other "culture". I don't argue that historically Bama has had far greater success than Texas. I'm just arguing the reason for that. We'll dumbass our way into another great coach at some point, and our "culture" will miraculously improve. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Eggo said:

This is a shitty thing to wish on a person. 

You may wish it, but I was not. I ask about it because I have not studied Sark's entire coaching history and I'd like to know if it is even a consideration, or not. If you dunno, you dunno. I've known a few dyed-in-the-wool alcoholics, and only a few who actually kicked that curse, which is what drives the speculation. I do know that, were I in the same position as he, I'd be pretty fucking embarrassed about the way thing are going right now. 

My take on the reasons things are going as they are is that 7WS is trying to do too much all at once. OC is a full-time job; HC is a full-time job. He's trying to do two full-time jobs... which ain't all that easy, as we've seen. One solution might be to fire Milwee and bring in a real OC/QB coach. A new WR coach might be a Good Idea, as well. 

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

meme.jpg

33 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You may wish it, but I was not. I ask about it because I have not studied Sark's entire coaching history and I'd like to know if it is even a consideration, or not. If you dunno, you dunno. I've known a few dyed-in-the-wool alcoholics, and only a few who actually kicked that curse, which is what drives the speculation. I do know that, were I in the same position as he, I'd be pretty fucking embarrassed about the way thing are going right now. 

My take on the reasons things are going as they are is that 7WS is trying to do too much all at once. OC is a full-time job; HC is a full-time job. He's trying to do two full-time jobs... which ain't all that easy, as we've seen. One solution might be to fire Milwee and bring in a real OC/QB coach. A new WR coach might be a Good Idea, as well. 

Hiring a new OC would mean Flood gets reclassed or demoted. We can say he deserves it, but he becomes a lame duck for recruits if signs point to his exit or that he's bad at his job. 

30 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Hiring a new OC would mean Flood gets reclassed or demoted. We can say he deserves it, but he becomes a lame duck for recruits if signs point to his exit or that he's bad at his job. 

Demotion may be a good thing because recruits know that he will be able to completely focus at what his known to be good at which is OL coach and not playing pretend OC.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I agree with this and stated it in one of the multiple threads talking about why we are so shitty. My question is who is our extra coach since Sark is HC/OC and Flood is OL/OC. I am thinking it is between Gideon and Joseph, and as shitty as the secondary is, maybe you fire both of them and bring in one guy that can actually coach plus a full time OC. Milwee doesn't have the experience, and I would guess Flood doesn't really either. He has his hands full making hammered shit into chicken salad anyway.

Edited by jinx

14 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I don't get this attitude at all.

I'll take the opinion of the guy who was wrong and admitted it over the opinion of a fucker who holds a guy to an opinion he no longer believes in. The first guy is getting better; the second guy is living in the past and can't adjust to reality.

I’d argue that we all have admitted our mistakes with past coaches. 

Most people hoped/expected Strong to succeed. Most realized about 1.5 yrs in he wouldn’t.

Most people hoped/expected Herman to succeed. We knew about 3.5 years in he wouldn’t. 

l would assume that most people (and this includes me) were wrong on one or both of those coaches. I don’t know of anyone seriously thinking that those guys had any chance of succeeding after the time period listed above.

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

Reclassed? Demoted? Bullshit. He wouldn't lose a nickel of pay, and I seriously doubt he gives more fucks than we do about his OC/RUN title. He certainly cares about the OL coach title, but beyond that, I believe no fucks are given.

IDGAF, either way or both ways. The OL IS  complete shit. In his OC/RUN capacity, I don't think we've seen anything that remotely resembles the Bama line. That's a Bad Thing. It would be worse if Flood were fighting with the actual full-on OC about things, and as far as we know they seem to be in the same book, although apparently not always on the same pages. And maybe dropping the OC/RUN job will give him time to help Banks teach the fucking TE/H people how to block.

Get the OC monkey off 7WS's back. Find a real OC and a WR coach. Maybe do it with one guy and let Milwee QB coach. Or replace him as well. The WR play and QB play have both been less than championship level, albeit the OL hasn't helped a helluva lot. 

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

For everyone that likes to talk coaching around here, have you watched the regression of Alabama's offensive line since Flood left. Did you watch them get a total of 6 yards rushing against LSU?  I'm going to take this as maybe Flood knows what the heck he is doing and should be given more, not less time to figure it out.

4 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Charlie was entirely media driven...   Teddy Bridgewater made Charlie look like an Oasis in the desert.   We ended up with a mirage and it was confirmed with his failure at USF as well .  Charlie was 7-6 his first two seasons, but Bridgewater got Charlie on the stage where we hired him first from the Blue Bloods....    I don't recall who else  from the P5's was in the market for a HC  at the same time?   But we took a lick for the others for sure.    I do wonder if we would have passed on Charlie if he would have ended up at LSU a couple seasons later when Miles was shown the door?  Assuming he would have kept his record respectable at Louisville and the spin he should be given a chance at an SEC school alive by the media.  

10 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

As a non booster, somewhat checked out fan, both Herman and Strong seemed like good hires at the time.  Good records, lots of media “mo.” I get that for those that pay closer attention, or were in Houston, may have had doubts, but it looked totally defensible from the outside.

Sark….looked weird.  A retread drunk who did a couple of years with Saban?  I mean, there have been bigger rags to riches success stories, but still….

We actually had a thread about it in cloakroom, where generally the only rule is No Football.  And there was a lot of head scratching.

Look at the blind resumes and it's not close.  Sark was a middling coach at two good programs and got fired for major off the field problems.  If a company hired a CEO that was a middling CEO at two previous companies and was drunk on the job, that company stock would plummet.

For some reason, the Texas job became a reclamation project.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Charlie was entirely media driven...   Teddy Bridgewater made Charlie look like an Oasis in the desert.   We ended up with a mirage and it was confirmed with his failure at USF as well .  Charlie was 7-6 his first two seasons, but Bridgewater got Charlie on the stage where we hired him first from the Blue Bloods....    I don't recall who else  from the P5's was in the market for a HC  at the same time?   But we took a lick for the others for sure.    I do wonder if we would have passed on Charlie if he would have ended up at LSU a couple seasons later when Miles was shown the door?  Assuming he would have kept his record respectable at Louisville and the spin he should be given a chance at an SEC school alive by the media.  

Lamar Jackson only ended up at Louisville because Bobby Petrino was the only school to promise he'd be a QB. No chance Charlie and Shawn Watson pull off that recruitment and Charlie would have been fired after Teddy graduated.

12 hours ago, Eggo said:

Lamar Jackson only ended up at Louisville because Bobby Petrino was the only school to promise he'd be a QB. No chance Charlie and Shawn Watson pull off that recruitment and Charlie would have been fired after Teddy graduated.

This is not necessarily true. Charlie recruited well at Louisville which is what we thought he would do here. He had all kinds of pull in Florida. Weirdly, he never developed that with the Texas high school coaches. But Florida? That guy could pull 5 stars, and Jackson was a Florida kid.