This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

9 hours ago, troph said:

Sark really seems to be a mix of his old self - drunk and mediocre, and his new self sober and a Saban disciple.  It’s no wonder we want to fire him and give him a chance all at the same time. We see good things, we see bad things and they seem to be irreconcilable. He’s a tough one to evaluate. Looks like a loser against Tech, then demolishes OU in a way we have not ever seen.  Then eeks one out against the clones then shits the bed against oSu. First half amazing, second half looks like a dud. Year one was a dumpster fire, recruiting and infrastructure takes off. Evaluates well, seems to use the portal, players getting better mostly, on the field performance sometimes bewildering. Tough one. Kirby smart took a long while, needed a bag game too, we have one now, totally legit too. Not sure firing him makes a lot of sense. Dunno, seems like there’s no appetite to do anything but ride wit him. So let’s go. 

Weirdest pre-game speech ever

9 hours ago, ALexusTexus7 said:

You sound upset and that’s probably because as much as you don’t care what Red McCombs thinks, he’s not wrong and you can’t refute it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I’m tired of the AD listening to unqualified hacks. Just because he’s rich doesn’t mean he was good at anything other than selling cars and making money. Transitive properties don’t apply here.

Sark really seems to be a mix of his old self - drunk and mediocre, and his new self sober and a Saban disciple.  It’s no wonder we want to fire him and give him a chance all at the same time. We see good things, we see bad things and they seem to be irreconcilable. He’s a tough one to evaluate. Looks like a loser against Tech, then demolishes OU in a way we have not ever seen.  Then eeks one out against the clones then shits the bed against oSu. First half amazing, second half looks like a dud. Year one was a dumpster fire, recruiting and infrastructure takes off. Evaluates well, seems to use the portal, players getting better mostly, on the field performance sometimes bewildering. Tough one. Kirby smart took a long while, needed a bag game too, we have one now, totally legit too. Not sure firing him makes a lot of sense. Dunno, seems like there’s no appetite to do anything but ride wit him. So let’s go. 

He’s pretty much guaranteed to be here at least a couple more seasons unless he does something to get fired for cause anyway, so might as well just accept that and hope for the best.
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Are there examples of head coaches who became great after giving up their playcalling duties? 

Well I know Kiffin and Kliff (not while at Tech but is considering doing it at AZ in NFL) are more open to it. I think Kiffin has relinquished a lot of that at Ole Miss.

I did find an old article from 2013 I found kinda interesting: 

“A survey of this week’s Associated Press poll showed that five of the nation’s top 25 teams have coaches who call their own offensive plays: Jimbo Fisher for No. 8 Florida State, Steve Spurrier for No. 12 South Carolina, Steve Sarkisian for No. 17 Washington, Hugh Freeze for No. 21 Mississippi and Kliff Kingsbury for No. 25 Texas Tech.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-xpm-2013-sep-17-la-sp-0918-football-play-calling-20130918-story.html

I figure Sark thinks he can handle it all now and be successful since he’s sober but the truth is no. I’m not a Barry Switzer fan at all but he’d always say you need a guy up there in the booth doing that. Calling the plays. I hope Sark can let go of play calling but if he doesn’t we’ve seen that shitty movie way too many damn times. You get fired or as a last ditch effort before getting fired you finally bring in an OC and it’s too late…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I think firing the guy who recruited Ewers and Arch would be a mistake, but that's just me.

No, that's you and a bunch of folks.

But thanks for the sorta-new square for the bingo card.

Let's see, how about 

"Keep the guy who recruited and trains the guy who, out of the clear blue, couldn't throw a pass within five yards of any given receiver, but the guy who recruited and trains him stood by the HC saying "I dunno coach, give him another try" and spent the game squatted on the sideline scribbling NOTE TO SELF and sending the guy got recruited and trained to throw another two or three passes... somewhere."

Maybe shorten it up, some? 

19 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Sark is his own worst problem. He is failing at trying to be HC and OC at the same time. That's the number one thing that needs to be changed. Find an OC and fire Milwee, or at least reassign him. The sideline gameday note-scribbling idiot who has allowed several games that appear clearly winnable to slip away... That Sark, he needs to be 100% HC, all strategy, and not be involved in the tactical considerations of planning and calling the games. I'd like to see what Marion could do, but his own go-go game requires one of the things Sark won't allow, so Marion's not likely to get that chance. On the other hand, TCU's OC has shown some stuff, and he appears to have some of the talents of his big brother - nothing else considered (real life and all that) I'd go for backing up the Brinks Truck at Riley Minor's house.

he is not going to fire or reassign his protege, who exists as an extension of him in the QB room. come on.

11 hours ago, ALexusTexus7 said:

You sound upset and that’s probably because as much as you don’t care what Red McCombs thinks, he’s not wrong and you can’t refute it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, you could just let an athletic director do his job and hire who he thinks is a qualified candidate instead of listening to boosters and such. If he hires shitty coaches you get rid of him and hire someone who you think will find a good coach. That's how this is supposed to work. That's his literal job.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You can't do it? 

How about "Can't fire X 'cause he recruited Y" - sounds good, scans nicely, put it on the card.

I already wrote something shorter than what you wrote. You even quoted it. Not my job to fix your shitty writing; I ain't paid to be your editor.

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

he is not going to fire or reassign his protege, who exists as an extension of him in the QB room. come on.

If he was a real protege, he'd have three or four QBs ready, wouldn't he? Looks like we need a real OC, not a protege. Re-assign him to his Bama job, Offensive Analyst. Hire Lincoln's little bro. Or... no, that's a loser move. Keep Milwee, keep Sark at HC/OC. Thing'll get better, real soon, now.

I thought in the preseason we would not do any better than 9-3 this season. We still can do that, but it is not looking great. I think Quinn will get better. There HAD to be something wrong with him during the okie state game. It wasn't just the "first road start" narrative. Who knows what it was. Sark definitely should have seen that Quinn wasn't right and put in Card. Those are the decisions that come with being the head coach. 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

He’s pretty much guaranteed to be here at least a couple more seasons unless he does something to get fired for cause anyway, so might as well just accept that and hope for the best.

100%. waste of energy to do anything else, that includes hoping for excellence and consistency on the field and beating the drums for his firing. waste of energy. 

21 hours ago, Red Five said:

I'm sure this has been pointed out in one of these threads, but he's coached 20 games here. We've lost five games where we held double digit second half leads. 25% of the time he's blown 10+ point second half leads. That is actually impressive.

Regardless of whether this is intended to be a serious, sarcastic or funny comment....this is actually the foundation of my "hope" for the "future" (beginning as soon a week-after-next).  The ability to even GET a double digit lead in the second half against quality opponents was a fantasy over the past decade.  Now we do it regularly.  Just the small detail of making it stick.

Picking up form @closetojumping comment above about Sark bringing in a playcaller, OC or some sort of advisor (paraphrasing)....and this is just spitballing...but what about pulling Patterson over to the offense side of the booth, and have him scout the first half, and tell Sark what adjustments he'd make if he was opposing DC, and how to beat those adjustments.  

Edited by MirrOlure

I was a big Sark fan to begin with but that is quickly fading away.

I have lost all confidence in the team to be able to play 4 quarters against any kind of real competition.

I'm also afraid there is a very real possibility we lose out and are once again the most talented team not going to a bowl game.

If this happens again next year I think it's time to get rid of Sark but we have to do something different here, either sell out for whomever or pick someone that is a sure thing.

WHATEVER IT TAKES!

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, troph said:

It’s the middle of year 2 and he’s 5-3. I think most are pretty confident he’s not the guy, but he will get to the end of year 3, at minimum, and likely more than that. 

Your post is also way off for a number of reasons. Sark isn’t a mix of his old self and anything. He’s the exact same guy he was at UW and USC. Recruits extremely well, offense looks unstoppable at times, blows leads, can’t adjust, is terrible on the road, and his teams can’t manage to show up or finish enough games to win more than 7 or 8 games most seasons. He’s been exactly the guy UT should have expected based on his previous 8 season as a HC. There really haven’t been any surprises with him if you pay attention to his HC career up til now. He is exactly who we hired, which is why it was a bad hire. 

And you may want to fact check your claim that “Kirby Smart took a long while.” He was in the NC game in year 2, and he won 13, 11, and 12 games in years 2,3, and 4. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh you think so, Sark? This is shit I'm tired of. Stop telling me you're going to do something and f'ing show me. 

Sark is great at telling us what the obvious adjustments that needed to be made were. He’s fucking awful at doing them.

Fuck this guy. Joke of a coach

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s the middle of year 2 and he’s 5-3. I think most are pretty confident he’s not the guy, but he will get to the end of year 3, at minimum, and likely more than that. 

Your post is also way off for a number of reasons. Sark isn’t a mix of his old self and anything. He’s the exact same guy he was at UW and USC. Recruits extremely well, offense looks unstoppable at times, blows leads, can’t adjust, is terrible on the road, and his teams can’t manage to show up or finish enough games to win more than 7 or 8 games most seasons. He’s been exactly the guy UT should have expected based on his previous 8 season as a HC. There really haven’t been any surprises with him if you pay attention to his HC career up til now. He is exactly who we hired, which is why it was a bad hire. 

And you may want to fact check your claim that “Kirby Smart took a long while.” He was in the NC game in year 2, and he won 13, 11, and 12 games in years 2,3, and 4. 

Dammit this is a good post, unfortunately. 

Sarkisian

38 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Picking up form @closetojumping comment above about Sark bringing in a playcaller, OC or some sort of advisor (paraphrasing)....and this is just spitballing...but what about pulling Patterson over to the offense side of the booth, and have him scout the first half, and tell Sark what adjustments he'd make if he was opposing DC, and how to beat those adjustments.  

He needs to bring in a coach that got fired due issues that were not in game issues since the coach was great at making in game adjustments as an analyst. Maybe the guy was to lackadaisical in preparing the team, to much of a friend or to much of a dick to players and could not get what he needed out of the guys. Someone like John Mackovic that refused to bring in the right defensive staff but if the other team adjusted he would adjust his play calling and his receivers would be wide open even in the his last year. The problem was his guys just could not throw it or catch it and his defense could not stop anyone.

A guy like that could help Sark with his greatest weakness. Sark can't think on his feet, he becomes immobilized once things start going sideways. He has to sit in front of a film session and at night at his desk to think things trough before deciding the best plan of attack and he is great at it. We all know people like that and then we know the guy that never prepares because they are great at thinking on their feet. To much of either and both types are failures.

So he’s going to continue to be HC and OC which technically means OC with HC title and such…fuck. It’s not hard to figure out. Most HCs that continue to be play callers get fired or retire. Or in Jimbo’s case trick a thirsty dumb school into giving them the contract of the century. And promptly keep doing their thing. Jimbo sucks. Sark can’t be both and he will always have 4 losses or more each season because of that. Whether he’s drunk or sober. He’s mad at the outcome of the game?

So are we! 

So he’s so mad he walks off during the Eyes and yet he was in a position to make some adjustments or rely on other people and other “eyes” and pull QE when he was struggling for a bit but he never stopped squatting and looking up from his playbook?

So he was mad? Great! Realize you can’t be both OC and HC damnit. You just bought a $7.5 million mansion. Ask us remaining fans who haven’t been suffocated by apathy that still care enough to be angry how mad we were Saturday fuck! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sark looks like an offensive genius in the first half of games...there's misdirection, gadget plays that always seem to work, etc.  Then the second half rolls around and especially when we have the lead, he turns to very vanilla play calling, especially on critical 3rd and short situations where everyone in the stadium knows it's a handoff to Bijan or Roschon up the middle.  No misdirection, no play action, no nothing.  Sark just turtles instead of continuing to attack.  We've scored 135 points in the first half against Power 5 teams compared to 63 in the second half, over 6 games.  Averaging 10 points in the second half isn't going to cut it, with the amount of offensive talent we have.  That results in a lot of quick 3 and outs, which makes the defense fatigued, leading to us blowing the lead.  Maybe save a gadget play for the second half to breathe some life into a sputtering offense instead of blowing your whole load in the first?  Maybe have some idea of how to respond once the opponent makes defensive adjustments for the second half?  It's infuriating to watch.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, OU Sucks said:

Sark looks like an offensive genius in the first half of games...there's misdirection, gadget plays that always seem to work, etc.  Then the second half rolls around and especially when we have the lead, he turns to very vanilla play calling, especially on critical 3rd and short situations where everyone in the stadium knows it's a handoff to Bijan or Roschon up the middle.  No misdirection, no play action, no nothing.  Sark just turtles instead of continuing to attack.  We've scored 135 points in the first half against Power 5 teams compared to 63 in the second half, over 6 games.  Averaging 10 points in the second half isn't going to cut it, with the amount of offensive talent we have.  That results in a lot of quick 3 and outs, which makes the defense fatigued, leading to us blowing the lead.  Maybe save a gadget play for the second half to breathe some life into a sputtering offense instead of blowing your whole load in the first?  Maybe having some idea of what you're going to do once the opponent makes defensive adjustments for the second half?  It's infuriating to watch.

All of what you described appears to be the calling card of his head coaching career. We hired him hoping he would break trend. He has not.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1