This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Based on @closetojumping the AD wanted Sonny Dykes

Even Sonny Dykes has Garrett Riley calling the plays for him…and Sonny is an offensive type HC…you have to know that when you play at a P5 school you have an OC. Riley happens to be great. Good for them. Damnit. Just when I thought I was over postgame anger lol.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Jimbo FIsher is light years better than Strong, and I still don't want that motherfucker within (...checks google maps...) 104 miles of our program.

Yeah there were dozens of better hires. We made the worst hire possible.

Anyways, what were we talking about?

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Even Sonny Dykes has Garrett Riley calling the plays for him…and Sonny is an offensive type HC…you have to know that when you play at a P5 school you have an OC. Riley happens to be great. Good for them. Damnit. Just when I thought I was over postgame anger lol.

Huepel calls plays 

6 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Again we'll never know. Too many people in that kitchen.

Well if you believe Del Conte in the introductory press conference for Sarkisian he said Kevin Eltife walked into the room and said what about Sark and his two minions said OK. So this time it was one cook just the one cook that does not know what he is doing and was not put on the board for such a job.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Huepel calls plays 

Sure but he also has an OC Alex Golesh. It’s more like Huepel is a co-OC but Josh let’s Alex call the bulk of the plays. Even though OC is where Huepel is very comfortable. You have to rely on your coordinators or you will consistently lose 3-5 WTF games. Every season. Alex has been getting more and more responsibilities as the season has gone on. And it’s working for them. I don’t think they are really all that much better than us. We have two fabulous world class RBs…and yet…

Anyway Tennessee has an OC. And a win vs Bama. And no losses…yet. Aggie and UT have a HC that thinks he can be both HC and call pretty much all the plays and they lost to Bama and Aggie has four losses and we have 3 and are in the toughest part of our season. 

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/platform/amp/2022/9/14/23352873/tennessee-vols-football-alex-golesh-press-conference-takeaways-offensive-coordinator

1 hour ago, redswingline said:
infer

ĭn-fûr′

intransitive verb

1. To conclude from evidence or by reasoning.

1 hour ago, Pdawg88 said:

Ok, but was she fat?

Yeah, we get that you told her she was fat, but how fat was she?

Spoiler

Tee up the mama jokes

Edited by TexasEd

33 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Remember when Strong had to lie to lawyers that Joe Wickline called some plays and we learned that Strong couldn't even remember his own zip code? I remember. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Eggo said:

Remember when Strong had to lie to lawyers that Joe Wickline called some plays and we learned that Strong couldn't even remember his own zip code? I remember. 

90210 if you can’t remember anything. 867-5309 if you don’t know your digits. ACDC BBC if taking multiple choice tests and you’re running out of time. Right? Lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Well if you believe Del Conte in the introductory press conference for Sarkisian he said Kevin Eltife walked into the room and said what about Sark and his two minions said OK. So this time it was one cook just the one cook that does not know what he is doing and was not put on the board for such a job.

So he was hired to hire every coach on campus but the football coach? If so then I see the issue here 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gundy is 20X the coach Sark is. 

We should fire Sark and money whip Gundy but it will never happen. Gundy would win here with our talent. 

Would he? This is one of those assumptions that doesn't always work out. Just because you can win at Oklahoma State doesn't mean going to Bama would mean you would also over-achieve there. 

But I don't think Gundy is whip-able. If he was he wouldn't still be at Oklahoma State.

But as I said we already have a guy on our staff who achieved great things at TCU if getting a successful mid-level P5 coach is what we want. Though given how successful his successor has been it might just be easier to win at TCU than it is here. People act like it is easy to win here, clearly it isn't. I don't know why. Baylor and TCU can rebuild in a few years. We (and Tech for that matter) can't. It is not like TCU went and hired some dude with 20 national titles.

Edited by Valmy77

20 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gundy is 20X the coach Sark is. 

We should fire Sark and money whip Gundy but it will never happen. Gundy would win here with our talent. 

Gundy choked away plenty of games with everything on the line when he had better talent. Hell just this year against TCU #8 in the country against first year coach with a lead and OU not in his way for a possible play-off birth.

Edited by DanTheHorn
ps. The suggestion makes me angry enough to say STFU

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Would he? This is one of those assumptions that doesn't always work out. Just because you can win at Oklahoma State doesn't mean going to Bama would mean you would also over-achieve there. 

But I don't think Gundy is whip-able. If he was he wouldn't still be at Oklahoma State.

But as I said we already have a guy on our staff who achieved great things at TCU if getting a successful mid-level P5 coach is what we want. Though given how successful his successor has been it might just be easier to win at TCU than it is here. People act like it is easy to win here, clearly it isn't. I don't know why. Baylor and TCU can rebuild in a few years. We (and Tech for that matter) can't. It is not like TCU went and hired some dude with 20 national titles.

It is undoubtedly easier to win at Texas than at a TCU or Okst…which makes the inability to do so even more enraging.

Don’t but into the “there’s something rotten at Texas” bullshit that attempts to distract you from the fact we’ve made 2, possibly 3, bad hires. It’s the coach, period.

• Hook 'Em 5

I fully expect Texas to lose to both TCU and Kansas State. Then beat Kansas and maybe Baylor then we to some lower tier Bowl and win it. Feel like maybe things will be alright. And rinse repeat next year. We have our own Longhorn roller coaster going.

So let's see if Sark bucks that trend. If we get a rebound from Ewers and we win these next two games then hey season potentially saved. I already saw my pessimistic feelings of doom play out in Stillwater so not feeling good. Not great Bob!

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It is undoubtedly easier to win at Texas than at a TCU or Okst…which makes the inability to do so even more enraging.

Don’t but into the “there’s something rotten at Texas” bullshit that attempts to distract you from the fact we’ve made 2, possibly 3, bad hires. It’s the coach, period.

If it is, then why isn't it? If it is easy to win then surely mediocre and basically competent coaches should still be able to win. Why do we need a great coach to win if it is easy to do?

Is Sonny Dykes a genius? Is Dave Aranda? Can we not find or hire a guy as super talented as those guys?

I wouldn't even dream of having a season as great as Baylor's 2021 season. But they have those kind of seasons fairly often and under multiple head coaches. But we can't. Go figure.

It seems like they can just plug in whomever and things just go right on churning along. Whereas we need to make the right hire, which is apparently something we are unlikely to do. We have done it once in six or seven coaching searches. 

Edited by Valmy77

9 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I fully expect Texas to lose to both TCU and Kansas State. Then beat Kansas and maybe Baylor then we to some lower tier Bowl and win it. Feel like maybe things will be alright. And rinse repeat next year. We have our own Longhorn roller coaster going.

So let's see if Sark bucks that trend. If we get a rebound from Ewers and we win these next two games then hey season potentially saved. I already saw my pessimistic feelings of doom play out in Stillwater so not feeling good. Not great Bob!

I thought we'd split @osu and TCU and potentially win the rest or lose @KSt. But I also didn't think that our coach was too fucking stupid to not bench a QB that's actively throwing the game away. So who knows. 

It isn't the loss so much as the massive red flag added to the already long list of red flags that reappeared on Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

Sark looks like an offensive genius in the first half of games...there's misdirection, gadget plays that always seem to work, etc.  Then the second half rolls around and especially when we have the lead, he turns to very vanilla play calling, especially on critical 3rd and short situations where everyone in the stadium knows it's a handoff to Bijan or Roschon up the middle.  No misdirection, no play action, no nothing.  Sark just turtles instead of continuing to attack.  We've scored 135 points in the first half against Power 5 teams compared to 63 in the second half, over 6 games.  Averaging 10 points in the second half isn't going to cut it, with the amount of offensive talent we have.  That results in a lot of quick 3 and outs, which makes the defense fatigued, leading to us blowing the lead.  Maybe save a gadget play for the second half to breathe some life into a sputtering offense instead of blowing your whole load in the first?  Maybe have some idea of how to respond once the opponent makes defensive adjustments for the second half?  It's infuriating to watch.

Preach

58 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Gundy choked away plenty of games with everything on the line when he had better talent. Hell just this year against TCU #8 in the country against first year coach with a lead and OU not in his way for a possible play-off birth.

Yeah i don't get the obsession with Gundy. He wilts in big moments. Playing UT isn't a big moment for him and that's why he looks so great every time we play them. He has fucked up multiple opportunities to play for or win B12 championships.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So then you have to examine your process for hiring. If you've fucked it up so bad multiple times, maybe quit letting people who you can't fire make those decisions.

I think the fans of this team vastly over rate the talent. If it were that big of an advantage it would show on the field. What you guys are suggesting is that Texas has so much more talent than everyone else and the dumb coaches are just holding the whole thing back.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

So then you have to examine your process for hiring. If you've fucked it up so bad multiple times, maybe quit letting people who you can't fire make those decisions.

Yeah. The AD needs to hire and fire coaches. The buck needs to stop with him. All these unaccountable people deciding important issues is not working.

If they don't like how the athletic department is being run they need to hire and fire the AD, not the head coach or the assistant coaches or whatever else they are making decisions on.

Edited by Valmy77

I dealt with Steve a lot while he was at Washington. He is incredibly bright. He learned a lot at Washington and fought some demons. He's a bright, articulate, charming, engaging guy who is also competitive as hell. He's appeared to put his demons behind him. 

You're going to love Sark you just have to be patient and give him time (5 years minimum) to get his guys in there. Knowing the competitive nature of Sark, I'm sure he's already angling on upgrading the coaching staff. 

He's an outstanding recruiter and phenomenal working with QB's. He trusts his guys and has an edge. Guys love him and so does the media. He's the best .500 coach in America and it's not even close. 

Texas didn't hit a home run with Sark. They hit a grand slam.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Sarkisian

He needs to bring in a coach that got fired due issues that were not in game issues since the coach was great at making in game adjustments as an analyst. Maybe the guy was to lackadaisical in preparing the team, to much of a friend or to much of a dick to players and could not get what he needed out of the guys. Someone like John Mackovic that refused to bring in the right defensive staff but if the other team adjusted he would adjust his play calling and his receivers would be wide open even in the his last year. The problem was his guys just could not throw it or catch it and his defense could not stop anyone.

A guy like that could help Sark with his greatest weakness. Sark can't think on his feet, he becomes immobilized once things start going sideways. He has to sit in front of a film session and at night at his desk to think things trough before deciding the best plan of attack and he is great at it. We all know people like that and then we know the guy that never prepares because they are great at thinking on their feet. To much of either and both types are failures.

So you're saying we need Mike Stoops?

18 minutes ago, PurpleJ said:

I dealt with Steve a lot while he was at Washington. He is incredibly bright. He learned a lot at Washington and fought some demons. He's a bright, articulate, charming, engaging guy who is also competitive as hell. He's appeared to put his demons behind him. 

You're going to love Sark you just have to be patient and give him time (5 years minimum) to get his guys in there. Knowing the competitive nature of Sark, I'm sure he's already angling on upgrading the coaching staff. 

He's an outstanding recruiter and phenomenal working with QB's. He trusts his guys and has an edge. Guys love him and so does the media. He's the best .500 coach in America and it's not even close. 

Loreal, wassup!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Sark looks like an offensive genius in the first half of games...there's misdirection, gadget plays that always seem to work, etc.  Then the second half rolls around and especially when we have the lead, he turns to very vanilla play calling, especially on critical 3rd and short situations where everyone in the stadium knows it's a handoff to Bijan or Roschon up the middle.  No misdirection, no play action, no nothing.  Sark just turtles instead of continuing to attack. 

This is fucking bullshit, at least in re-watching the Oklahoma State Game. He had receivers wide open all over the field. The announcers are commenting on how open they are and how Ewers is just missing them.  "Turtles up instead of continuing to attack?"   Holy fuck the stupidity on this thread is mind-blowing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This is fucking bullshit, at least in re-watching the Oklahoma State Game. He had receivers wide open all over the field. The announcers are commenting on how open they are and how Ewers is just missing them.  "Turtles up instead of continuing to attack?"   Holy fuck the stupidity on this thread is mind-blowing. 

You got people asking why we didn't force the run more when they completely took away the counter and absolutely dared us to pass it on them.

Edited by Fondren & Main

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Signed, Bob Stoops

If Alabama fans tossed in the towel on Nick Saban, in his third college HC try, after his 1st season they'd have missed out. Give Sark 5 years to get his guys in there. That .500 record isn't as important now as to what's going on behind the scenes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s the middle of year 2 and he’s 5-3. I think most are pretty confident he’s not the guy, but he will get to the end of year 3, at minimum, and likely more than that. 

Your post is also way off for a number of reasons. Sark isn’t a mix of his old self and anything. He’s the exact same guy he was at UW and USC. Recruits extremely well, offense looks unstoppable at times, blows leads, can’t adjust, is terrible on the road, and his teams can’t manage to show up or finish enough games to win more than 7 or 8 games most seasons. He’s been exactly the guy UT should have expected based on his previous 8 season as a HC. There really haven’t been any surprises with him if you pay attention to his HC career up til now. He is exactly who we hired, which is why it was a bad hire. 

And you may want to fact check your claim that “Kirby Smart took a long while.” He was in the NC game in year 2, and he won 13, 11, and 12 games in years 2,3, and 4. 

Don’t really care dude, you’re arguing at clouds. He’s not the guy, so what he’s still our guy. He is the guy, well he’s not now. You can’t argue he’s the same coach, a drunk vs sober coach is much much different. As for UGA it took Kirby a while to win it all and UGA wasn’t in that bad a shape when he came in. UGA was tired of being second or third, that’s not Texas. Apples and oranges and for what he was hired to do it did take a while. But you’re arguing with me like you think I’m defending sark. I don’t think you get it…

Tommy Lee Jones I Dont Care GIF

Edited by troph

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Regardless of whether this is intended to be a serious, sarcastic or funny comment....this is actually the foundation of my "hope" for the "future" (beginning as soon a week-after-next).  The ability to even GET a double digit lead in the second half against quality opponents was a fantasy over the past decade.  Now we do it regularly.  Just the small detail of making it stick.

Picking up form @closetojumping comment above about Sark bringing in a playcaller, OC or some sort of advisor (paraphrasing)....and this is just spitballing...but what about pulling Patterson over to the offense side of the booth, and have him scout the first half, and tell Sark what adjustments he'd make if he was opposing DC, and how to beat those adjustments.  

Winning close games is the sign of a good coach and good program.  Losing close games is the sign of a bad coach and a program with a losing attitude.  To get to the top you need to be able to win the close games.  That is one of the biggest red flags in my mind about Sarkasian.

Charley Strong era Texas should NOT be our standard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleJ said:

If Alabama fans tossed in the towel on Nick Saban, in his third college HC try, after his 1st season they'd have missed out. Give Sark 5 years to get his guys in there. That .500 record isn't as important now as to what's going on behind the scenes.

Nick was never weak and searching for who he is as a leader. In our time, that is what we've seen from Sark. Let's see how he finishes the year.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

"Quinn had an epically bad game so you're wrong and stupid!"  Uh, okay.  The first 6 drives coming out of the half were:

3 plays
3 plays
4 plays
4 plays
3 plays
4 plays

During those drives, we ran on first down 6 times.  It was blatantly obvious to OSU, who was already loading up against the run, that we'd run it on first down.  You don't think continually running the ball on first down to see where you're at for second down is being conservative and predictable?  I get that Bijan is the best back in the country, but when the opponent knows what's coming, it's tough for him to work his magic.  The two times we threw it on first during those drives, they went for 27 and 7 yards.  Yes, Quinn was terrible, but your job as a coach is to give him easy throws to make him comfortable.  Only when the other team claws their way back to tie it or grab the lead, does Sark seem to step on the accelerator again.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PurpleJ said:

I don’t know if this is an earnest post, a troll post, or Mrs Sarkisian, but for what it’s worth my good friend who knows Sark well has said many of the same things as this post.

He isn’t quite as complimentary but believes we got a good coach. It’s the only thing keeping me from jumping off the Sark train, but a few more bad losses and it’ll be clear he’s the wrong guy. 

The only other comment I’d make is that I’ve met hundreds of nice guys over the years that everyone loved who were shit business managers.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Is Sonny Dykes a genius? Is Dave Aranda? Can we not find or hire a guy as super talented as those guys?

Let's circle back on Sonny Dykes at the end of the season. Something tells me much of the shine will come off TCU by the end of the season. That's not to say he hasn't done well, just that like Aranda, they get put in the "wow what a hire" category only to be questioned soon after.

32 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Let's circle back on Sonny Dykes at the end of the season. Something tells me much of the shine will come off TCU by the end of the season. That's not to say he hasn't done well, just that like Aranda, they get put in the "wow what a hire" category only to be questioned soon after.

They have had an inordinate amount of luck as far as playing against teams without their starting QBs.

Direct quote from sark back in 2013. And I hope something will change in respect to that at some point but him relying more on an OC is what will eventually have to happen if he wants to put together a complete season. Otherwise…

“Half the reason I coach is because I call plays,” Sarkisian said. “I got hired for a variety of reasons. One reason was my play calling. I’m not saying that in an arrogant way. Play calling is one of my strengths.”

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

"Quinn had an epically bad game so you're wrong and stupid!"  Uh, okay.  The first 6 drives coming out of the half were:

3 plays
3 plays
4 plays
4 plays
3 plays
4 plays

During those drives, we ran on first down 6 times.  It was blatantly obvious to OSU, who was already loading up against the run, that we'd run it on first down.  You don't think continually running the ball on first down to see where you're at for second down is being conservative and predictable?  I get that Bijan is the best back in the country, but when the opponent knows what's coming, it's tough for him to work his magic.  The two times we threw it on first during those drives, they went for 27 and 7 yards.  Yes, Quinn was terrible, but your job as a coach is to give him easy throws to make him comfortable.  Only when the other team claws their way back to tie it or grab the lead, does Sark seem to step on the accelerator again.

What happened on second down? I also looked at the numbers and saw the 2nd half running stats showed 11 carries for 45 yards. Not great, but Roschon got exactly ONE carry in the 2nd half. I'm sorry, but I'd much rather roll the dice giving the 2 horses in the backfield 20 more carries than having QE looking like Brucie from the longest yard for most of the game. 

Even if D&D isn't in your favor, both of those guys have the ability to take it to the house on any carry. Not to mention it shortens the game when playing with a lead. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Nothing has changed since last December.  No sane person expected us to win 11+ games this season.  We will finish somewhere between 5 and 11 wins and update judgement of Sark accordingly:

5 or 6 wins and he must be fired

7 wins and he should be firmly on the hot seat, and anything less than 9 wins in 2023 should result in him getting fired.  Also, this should mean at least one coordinator has to be fired.

8 wins and he gets judgement reserved another year; anything less than 9 wins in 2023 results in him being on the hot seat.  This also likely means a coordinator should be fired.

9 wins and he met expectations; moving forward, 9+ wins is the minimum standard to avoid being on the hot seat, and a conference championship every 3-4 years is expected.

10-11 wins and he gets a raise.

I still expect 8 wins this season.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

FF to 5:30 if you want to hear the punch line but the other comments leading are pertinent.   We are so 'effed !

14 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

What happened on second down? I also looked at the numbers and saw the 2nd half running stats showed 11 carries for 45 yards. Not great, but Roschon got exactly ONE carry in the 2nd half. I'm sorry, but I'd much rather roll the dice giving the 2 horses in the backfield 20 more carries than having QE looking like Brucie from the longest yard for most of the game. 

Even if D&D isn't in your favor, both of those guys have the ability to take it to the house on any carry. Not to mention it shortens the game when playing with a lead. 

2nd and 3rd down were usually passes, dictated by getting behind the chains with the conservative and predictable runs on first down.  Which is why I just laugh at the post implying my take was stupid because we kept trying to pass it a lot in the second half.  Uh yeah, we kept having to pass it because we were constantly in second/third and long because our obvious first down run kept getting stuffed.  That doesn't mean you're attacking...that means you're passing because it's your best shot at making first downs.

• Hook 'Em 1