This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

51 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Sark has the support at the top. Unless he magnificently fails over the next year and a half, he’s getting at least four years to turn the ship around. There is a belief that Strong and Herman left the program in a state that requires some time to turn around. And bolstering that view is what Harbaugh is doing at Michigan. Stop wasting brain cycles on a potential coaching change happening any time soon. 

Weird. Harbaugh in a much more difficult conference with complete dogshit left behind. 

I mean I'm a season ticket holder at the big house. I'd love if what we got was harbaughesque at Texas. We got sarked. 

Screenshot_20221031-134359-01.thumb.jpeg.ce5836c7bc919a1200a7878cbe024da1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

Hoke left behind a fuckton of talent.

Zach Gentry, Shane Morris, DeVeon Smith, Derrick Green, Tyrone Wheatley, Mason Cole, Graham Glasgow, Chase Winovich, Jake Butt, Ian Bunting, Jarrell Peppers, Jourdan Lewis, Taco Charlton, Chris Wormley, Ryan Glasgow, Maurice Hurst, Bryan Mone, Ben Gedeon, Jeremy Clark.

That's a a lot draft picks, and I'm sure I'm missing some who were drafted late and never amounted to anything.

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Yep. No insider, but just reading the various tea leaves, there’s no indication that the prevailing view isn’t to just ride with Sark at least until Texas is in the SEC, barring total calamity.

I have seen that Michigan point floated several times and find the logic questionable given that there are some, uh, differences in Harbaugh and Sark’s career track records. But that’s another conversation and ultimately a waste of breath, as you said.

Well, and the fact that changing coaches every 3-4 years, absent calamity, is pretty counterproductive.  At that point, you're just playing pin the tail on the donkey until you hit one.  UM did that for a while, so do a lot of other folks, without a great deal of success.

• Hook 'Em 1

If the secret is really amassing talent over a number of seasons, how do you explain Klieman who took over in 2019, I think, and Sonny Dykes who took over in 2021. They seem to be doing pretty well. I can buy that they may have more experience on their teams (although I don't know if that's true) but it seems difficult to believe there was a ton of amassed talent at either school. Maybe I underestimate how badly depleted the roster enherited by Sark was. But I see other schools not stumbling out the gate and I want nice things too.

12 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

If the secret is really amassing talent over a number of seasons, how do you explain Klieman who took over in 2019, I think, and Sonny Dykes who took over in 2021. They seem to be doing pretty well. I can buy that they may have more experience on their teams (although I don't know if that's true) but it seems difficult to believe there was a ton of amassed talent at either school. Maybe I underestimate how badly depleted the roster enherited by Sark was. But I see other schools not stumbling out the gate and I want nice things too.

Its Quarterback Play

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Klieman who took over in 2019, I think, and Sonny Dykes who took over in 2021. They seem to be doing pretty well.

Klieman has gone 8-5, 4-6 and 8-5 in the 3 full seasons since he took over. The last 3 years under Snyder went 9-4, 8-5 and 5-7.

Also, it shouldn't need to be explained the differences in Kansas State handing over the reigns from a guy who was there 27 of the last 30 years and what Texas has been doing.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Klieman has gone 8-5, 4-6 and 8-5 in the 3 full seasons since he took over. The last 3 years under Snyder went 9-4, 8-5 and 5-7.

Also, it shouldn't need to be explained the differences in Kansas State handing over the reigns from a guy who was there 27 of the last 30 years and what Texas has been doing.

Fair enough. Didn't think about it that way, but he followed a dynasty based on evaluation and developement of less heralded talent. So it actually supports the accumulation of talent is the essence argument. Understand, I don't want to argue, but in my struggle to understand and perhaps remain optimistic, I need insight from people who, like me, believe changing coaches every three seasons will only prolong the walk in the wilderness. If nothing else, Sark seems to understand how to do the culture, playing for each other, team members being team leaders things. 

22 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Fair enough. Didn't think about it that way, but he followed a dynasty based on evaluation and developement of less heralded talent. So it actually supports the accumulation of talent is the essence argument. Understand, I don't want to argue, but in my struggle to understand and perhaps remain optimistic, I need insight from people who, like me, believe changing coaches every three seasons will only prolong the walk in the wilderness. If nothing else, Sark seems to understand how to do the culture, playing for each other, team members being team leaders things. 

There are consequences to firing coaches (and often times the long time benefit outweighs the short time consequences so I don't want to comes across as someone who is anti-firing coaches). There is attrition, familiarity with scheme and many other things that go out the window when a coach is fired and new one comes in.

Yes, talent is important. Kansas State would trade for our roster in a heartbeat. But along with just having overall talent, the recipe to success often centers around talent and experience at several key spots (QB, OL, DL/edge). Despite all our "talent" and "4 stars", we would crawl over broken glass to have Oklahoma State and Kansas State's edge players. We poorly recruited or poorly developed players at key areas that are required to win at a high level. It's definitely possible to backfill and find stopgaps through the portal, but eventually it is going to catch up with you.

The closest thing we've had to this is 2020 when we had multi-year starters and NFL draft picks at QB, LT, Edge and DT. We somehow still found a way to screw it up and have been paying for Herman's recruiting sins since those guys departed. We had a 2-year stretch in recruiting where our edge takes from the high school ranks were Peter Mpagi and Prince Dorbah. 2 high school edge players in 2 years. 

That isn't to excuse anything that is happening on the field because our coaches need to coach better. But it's not as simple as "Texas has a bunch of 4 and 5 stars and Kansas State" doesn't. Kansas State is going to trot out 4 juniors or seniors on the offensive line on Saturday who have combined for like 90 career starts along with a damn good edge rusher who has started 20+ games at the college level. That matters.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

Well, and the fact that changing coaches every 3-4 years, absent calamity, is pretty counterproductive.  At that point, you're just playing pin the tail on the donkey until you hit one.  UM did that for a while, so do a lot of other folks, without a great deal of success.

It is. I thought Sark was a bad hire was a bad one and certainly nothing’s changed my opinion. But I’m not calling for his head or anything - I mean, I think he’ll be canned inevitably at some point, but I don’t see a slam dunk reason to do it at this minute. He at least seems to understand the fundamental fact that having better QB’s and big guys than your opponents makes winning easier. Maybe he builds a roster so talented that he stumbles into winning. At the very least, I don’t think his successor will be looking at a multi year rebuild because there’s no QB or OL worth a shot on the roster. I can live with that for now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, RC Horn said:

"going 7-4 and 8-3 is preferable at a place like UT" or "learn to live with it".

Yeah clearly he prefers 5-7 or 6-6 instead.

He does not appear to be the type who will hold one to incompetent assistants like Mack did with Greg Davis. 

PK? Terry Joseph? Gideon? Yikes…

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

PK? Terry Joseph? Gideon? Yikes…

I’m not against calling for heads to roll because it’s what we do, but what is so bad about Gideon again? Safety play has improved a considerable amount, he has recruited his position at a good level and has connections to some places we like to recruit in the southeast along with being recommended by Muschamp.

He ain’t out there calling coverages. Now if canning him helps gets someone in here to clean up coverages and call the backend better then I’m all ears. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, immamac said:

I know everyone here loves xavier worthy and whittington and thinks omg what are we going to do without them. Wait until we get actual NFL caliber receivers going in the sark system. We have parts of the offense building and the defense is definitely developing as well. They want him to have a full cycle of high quality NFL level players that develop and are seniors. We are playing at whatever level we are right now with some dudes that happen to be real good, but didn't go through 4 real years of development or 3. 

We all bitch that sark can't win with players who aren't perfect, but eventually the level of execution will just get there - we've all seen it, players are almost always open. Blocks get missed that shouldn't get missed on assignment, less that the OL gets fucking mauled by the DL/LB/EDGE. 

Mental errors kill this team and sark doesn't know how to coach a team that is prone to mental errors by sticking to whats working instead of doing whatever the fuck it is he wants to do in a perfect world. Eventually, the theory is that the program becomes a talent factory much like Ohio St, Alabama, Michigan, Georgia where next man up is actually execute the same playbook and sit the guy making mental errors. We aren't there yet and sark can't coach a team that has that level of imperfection still. If he could this team would be stomping the shit out of everyone. 

Exactly. Sark has exactly 1 recruiting of his own and was left a shit load of dead weight. People need to chill until he gets at least 3 of his own classes in and then we can make judgements against him. I didn't like the hire, I still don't, but I'm also realistic. It takes more than 1-2 recruiting classes before a coach can judges for who he is. He'll hit the portal, get more NFL talent on this roster (offensively at least), and then we'll see where we're at. He does need to make major changes changes defensively. Terry Joseph is a clown who sucks, PK can't understand who to get his payers in a position to at least stop the fucking slants that kill us. Offensively we're fine. Quinn will grow and the game will slow down. He's still a frosh. But we're a disaster defensively. ISU and their weekend at Bernie's dead qb made our defense look comically bad, but what else is new? We need an up haul on the defensive side in the wordt way. Maybe a Co-DC or something. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m not against calling for heads to roll because it’s what we do, but what is so bad about Gideon again? Safety play has improved a considerable amount, he has recruited his position at a good level and has connections to some places we like to recruit in the southeast along with being recommended by Muschamp.
He ain’t out there calling coverages. Now if canning him helps gets someone in here to clean up coverages and call the backend better then I’m all ears. 

We have safeties?

6 hours ago, immamac said:

Weird. Harbaugh in a much more difficult conference with complete dogshit left behind. 

I mean I'm a season ticket holder at the big house. I'd love if what we got was harbaughesque at Texas. We got sarked. 

Screenshot_20221031-134359-01.thumb.jpeg.ce5836c7bc919a1200a7878cbe024da1.jpeg

His bowl record looks very Bo like. 

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Its Quarterback Play

That's how you pitch a shutout to oSu?

Fuck it, I need to see creativity, adaptive playcalling (halftime would be nice, 3-4 posessions even better), and, something demonstrably missing in Sark but smugly emerged from Lane Kiffin, is "killer confidence" in his guys with a shit-eating grin.  Sarkdroid looks lifeless.

1 hour ago, Gravy Train said:

That's how you pitch a shutout to oSu?

Fuck it, I need to see creativity, adaptive playcalling (halftime would be nice, 3-4 posessions even better), and, something demonstrably missing in Sark but smugly emerged from Lane Kiffin, is "killer confidence" in his guys with a shit-eating grin.  Sarkdroid looks lifeless.

Pretty sure none of you guys rewatch the game to see if what you thought you saw really was what you thought you saw. Go back and watch. At each crucial moment a guy failed to do his job. A whiff on a block here. A drop there.  2nd half here. 

1st and 10 we run the counter that had been hitting in the first half and they have 8 men within 8 yards of the LOS. Bijan manages to bounce it for 5. 

2nd and 5 Ewers has X but the rusher uses an inside move to beat Sanders and has his hands up causing a high throw. 

3rd and five we run the OZ rpo slant we hit J-Whitt on but Banks gets beat immediately causing the sack
 1st and 10 we try to go back to the counter and its stacked up for no gain. 

2nd and 10 hard to tell what Ewers sees but Sanders again doesn't even get a hand on the rusher causing Ewers to throw it away

3rd and 10 Sark draws up a little pass out of the backfield to Rojo that would've went for a 1st down but he dropped it.

1st and 10 we hit worthy on the shallow cross for 25 yards

1st and 10 we run Krob for no gain

2nd and 10 we run 12 personnel with both Sangers and Billingsley on the field. Bijan no gain. 

3rd and 10 Christian Jones gets planted and the rusher dives over him and grabs Ewers leg. Ewers throw up to Worthy who makes no effort.

1st and 10 12 personnel. Jones double-teams the guard with Hutson. Conner comes down the line and completely whiffs on the kickout block on the DE causing Bijan to have to make a move in the backfield, and preventing him from hitting the hole. Bijan still manages 4 yards. 

2nd and 6 Blitz beats J-Whitt on the run play. Bijan 1 yard gain. 

3rd and 5  Sark goes back to the route Rojo dropped earlier since it was open but this time with Bijan. Either Bijan was held or he slowed down throwing off the timing. Either way it hit him in the hands as well. 

1st and 10 Ewers drops the ball but still drops it off to Sanders for 7. 

2nd and 3 Sark is trying to snap the ball before the quarter is over to keep the matchup on the field and not allow OSU to sub. Ewers drops the ball and Rojo falls on it for a 7 yard loss. 

3rd and 10  Christian Jones gets beat immediately to the inside causing a high throw

1st and 10 Sark call an OZ rpo I have never seen before with a WR screen and two blockers on the backside built into it. We hand it to Bijan for a 2 yard gain

2nd and 8  good defense by OSU. Nobody open and Ewers throws it away. 

3rd and 8  Ewers drops back and has the ball batted down

1st and 10 Ewers has time and drops a dime to Billingsley

1st and 10  12 personnel Bijan run for 13

1st and 10 12 personnel Bijan run for 9

2nd and 1 They bring in Karek and Rojo gets 5 yards

1st and 10 both back in the back field Bijan for 3

2nd and 7 throw outside to Krob who is one on one. Throw is a little off but hit K-rob in the hands. dropped. 

3rd and 7 X wide open in the ez and dropped. 

4th and 7 missed field goal. 

1st and 10 12 personnel and Bijan is hit in the backfield for a 2 yard loss

2nd and 12  Ewers runs for 50. Holding

2nd and 22  Hutson is juked and doesn't even get a hand on the d-lineman. Ewers throws it away. 

3rd and 22  19 yard pass to Sanders over the middle

4th and 3  We get a penatly for 5 yards

4th and 8  Ewers gets picked

1st and 10 two receivers in the area looking at one another. Someone ran the wrong route. 

2nd and 10 long out throw on the money by Ewers

1st and 10 Ewers gets pressure and throws it away

2nd and 10 Ewers throws a pass to Sanders 1st down

1st and 10  Deep throw to Worthy who is easily bumped off his route. Ball is catchable. 

2nd and 10  throw to J-Whitt a little high but catchable. Dropped. 

3rd and 10  Back shoulder to Sanders for 1st down

1st and 10  Ewers over the middle through the hands of Sanders and picked off. Ballgame. 

2nd half we ran counter, IZ, and OZ. We ran it from 4 wide, 11 personnel, 12 personnel, and even brought Andre in as an extra linemen. We had passing plays at all level, but ultimately we made mistakes that were drive killers time and time again. We ran everything but screens, but then again we don't run a lot of screens. IMO players lost this game. 

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

Pretty sure none of you guys rewatch the game to see if what you thought you saw really was what you thought you saw. Go back and watch. At each crucial moment a guy failed to do his job. A whiff on a block here. A drop there.  2nd half here. 
  1st and 10 we run the counter that had been hitting in the first half and they have 8 men within 8 yards of the LOS. Bijan manages to bounce it for 5. 
 2nd and 5 Ewers has X but the rusher uses an inside move to beat Sanders and has his hands up causing a high throw. 
 3rd and five we run the OZ rpo slant we hit J-Whitt on but Banks gets beat immediately causing the sack

2nd and 10 hard to tell what Ewers sees but Sanders again doesn't even get a hand on the rusher causing Ewers to throw it away
   3rd and 10 Sark draws up a little pass out of the backfield to Rojo that would've went for a 1st down but he dropped it.

2nd and 10 we run 12 personnel with both Sangers and Billingsley on the field. Bijan no gain. 
  3rd and 10 Christian Jones gets planted and the rusher dives over him and grabs Ewers leg. Ewers throw up to Worthy who makes no effort.
  1st and 10 12 personnel. Jones double-teams the guard with Hutson. Conner comes down the line and completely whiffs on the kickout block on the DE causing Bijan to have to make a move in the backfield, and preventing him from hitting the hole. Bijan still manages 4 yards. 
  3rd and 5  Sark goes back to the route Rojo dropped earlier since it was open but this time with Bijan. Either Bijan was held or he slowed down throwing off the timing. Either way it hit him in the hands as well. 

2nd and 3 Sark is trying to snap the ball before the quarter is over to keep the matchup on the field and not allow OSU to sub. Ewers drops the ball and Rojo falls on it for a 7 yard loss. 
   3rd and 10  Christian Jones gets beat immediately to the inside causing a high throw
    1st and 10 Sark call an OZ rpo I have never seen before with a WR screen and two blockers on the backside built into it. We hand it to Bijan for a 2 yard gain
    2nd and 7 throw outside to Krob who is one on one. Throw is a little off but hit K-rob in the hands. dropped. 
  2nd and 22  Hutson is juked and doesn't even get a hand on the d-lineman. Ewers throws it away. 
  1st and 10 two receivers in the area looking at one another. Someone ran the wrong route. 

1st and 10  Deep throw to Worthy who is easily bumped off his route. Ball is catchable. 
  1st and 10  Ewers over the middle through the hands of Sanders and picked off. Ballgame. 
   2nd half we ran counter, IZ, and OZ. We ran it from 4 wide, 11 personnel, 12 personnel, and even brought Andre in as an extra linemen. We had passing plays at all level, but ultimately we made mistakes that were drive killers time and time again. We ran everything but screens, but then again we don't run a lot of screens. IMO players lost this game. 

Well Sark better fire the people in charge of coaching players
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Well Sark better fire the people in charge of coaching players

Gilbeau is a true freshman out there just trying to figure it out and got beat to the inside multiple times. Banks is a true freshman playing LT vs grown ass men, and probably has never seen a DE rushing from 9tech ever in his life, much less a good one. He gave up about 3 solid pressures and a sack. Ryan Watts is in his first year under this system. Cole Hutson true freshman. Hayden Conner first time starting and true sophomore. Quinn Ewers freshman and first year in the system. 

That's what bothers me about the "We're Texas" crowd. They expect a guy to jump right in and contribute simply because of the color and name on our jerseys and that's just not how it works. Our players are simply just slightly more physically gifted than kids at another school but that gets washed vs experience. Take TCU for example, the current crown jewel of the Big 12. Look at the experience they have amongst their starters vs us.  

3 RS seniors(5th year )......................................2 RS seniors Coburn and Christian Jones

9 seniors/1 RS junior( 4th year)........................5 seniors and one RS junior-  Sweat, Overshown, Jamison, Cook, Oghoufo, and J-Whitt

9 juniors (3rd year)...........................................3 juniors and a RS sophomore  Bijan, Barron, Thompson, Watts and Majors

1 Freshman(1st year)........................................2 freshman- Banks and Hutson

Behind them they have good experience as well in their backup group of players, but then you see why we struggle when backups come in.

7 seniors..................................................5 Seniors Billingsley, RoJo, Bush, Milton and Tucker-Dorsey

8 juniors...................................................1 junior Crawford

5 sophomores......................................... 7 sophomores-Karec, Card, Parr,(listed in two spots), Dorbah, Murphy, Johnson, and Coffey

2 freshman.............................................7 freshmen-Thompson, Red, Robertson, Williams, Finkley, Jordan, and Glibeau

This is why we struggle. We have inexperience in some crucial positions like QB, and then as soon as someone gets dinged the guy coming in for them either has 0 experience like a Gibeau or is not good like Bush. The "We're Texas crowd expects none of this to matter. They think that because we are Texas we are supposed to simply have everyone drink the "Texas Magic Elixir" and all these young guys will suddenly start playing like seniors. 

Kansas State has 13 seniors, 5 juniors, and 4 sophomores among their starters, and 9 seniors, 3 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 8 freshman(6 of them redshirts) among their backups. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

If we’re going to do that, Tommy herman was probably 4 or five plays away from being undefeated in his last year

• Hook 'Em 2

Why has Alabama been consistently good for such a long time? Saban has implemented a very precise learning system for every position on the roster. He can bring in brand new coaches every year and not miss a beat.  

It’s that attention to detail that makes the difference between great coaches and average coaches. The sign of a team that doesn’t focus on attention to detail is penalties, missed assignments, lack of knowledge of the playbook, blown second half leads, inconsistency, playing well in some key games but terrible in others, poor technique (DB is a great example), and poor tackling. Any of this sound familiar? 

12 hours ago, gmr548 said:

It is. I thought Sark was a bad hire was a bad one and certainly nothing’s changed my opinion. But I’m not calling for his head or anything - I mean, I think he’ll be canned inevitably at some point, but I don’t see a slam dunk reason to do it at this minute. He at least seems to understand the fundamental fact that having better QB’s and big guys than your opponents makes winning easier. Maybe he builds a roster so talented that he stumbles into winning. At the very least, I don’t think his successor will be looking at a multi year rebuild because there’s no QB or OL worth a shot on the roster. I can live with that for now.

The whole story of how Sark was chosen is amazingly dumb and stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Honestly our secondary has done fairly well, yeah they've given up some plays but it happens. The real issue is the linebackers in coverage. They're so bad at zone coverages and etc. It's why we get ate up in the middle.

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

And they still almost won the game. This team should be smooth fucking teams in the big xii and they have shit like this instead. A bunch of self inflicted wounds. 

I will say the timing being off on the catches could be attributed to the slight timing difference of a not fucked up nail and a fucked up nail from Ewers. His balls were definitely not as zippy as usual, which could have thrown off the mojo between pitcher and catcher. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

While the top end competition in the SEC will be much, much tougher, at least we will be playing big boy football there. No questions if your star LB will get thrown out of the game for sacking the QB. 

Texas is a lame duck in this conference that has the majority of it's games look exactly the same. Every game is kept close and down to the wire in the 4th Quarter. Controversial call after controversial call to keep it close. We can't draw a holding penalty even if our guy is tackled right in front of the ball carrier.

In short, keep recruiting high level talent, we will see what happens when we start playing in a football conference.

Sounds like Ewers was pretty solid.
  • Haha 1

There is of course nothing new under the sun, and it's frankly amusing to see all of the same old water carrying excuses trotted out for Sark that were employed for his predecessors. 

"It's the last coach's fault" 

"It's on the players, they're young/stupid/lazy/entitled"

"We have a culture problem"

"We really don't have much talent. Bottom feeder team X has more talent than we do"

"Everyone knew this would be a tear-down rebuild"

"You can't keep firing coaches and expect to be good"

etc, etc

It is refreshing though to see no one really mentions the strength coach.  Texas fans have been beating that fucking horse for so many years, it looks like we've given up, perhaps realizing that it doesn't really make a shit.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

There is of course nothing new under the sun, and it's frankly amusing to see all of the same old water carrying excuses trotted out for Sark that were employed for his predecessors. 

"We really don't have much talent. Bottom feeder team X has more talent than we do"

etc, etc

It is refreshing though to see no one really mentions the strength coach.  Texas fans have been beating that fucking horse for so many years, it looks like we've given up, perhaps realizing that it doesn't really make a shit.  

I think that's most people who are getting flamed by actual football people who know what they saw and it was more of what @Thatguyposted. There is some cleanup to do, but this team is very close to being very fucking dangerous. Like blow everyone out in the big xii like it's a bunch of patty cakes dangerous. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Sounds like Ewers was pretty solid.

He wasn't as bad as most made him out to be IMHO. He could have done a better job going through his progressions for sure but it appeared they game planned getting the ball to Worthy no matter what the defense was running. I counted 5-7 drops and several others that were catchable. I know the PFF grades on the O-line were good but that doesn't tell the whole story. If one lineman misses an assignment on every play, it blows up that play and the line still gets a good grade overall on that play. Too many failures on the line produced a ton of rushed throws which disrupted the timing on pass plays........And yet we still had a chance. To play that bad, lose to the zebras 14-0 and still almost win was pretty remarkable. A few plays either way and we blow them out or vise versa.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think that's most people who are getting flamed by actual football people who know what they saw and it was more of what @Thatguyposted. There is some cleanup to do, but this team is very close to being very fucking dangerous. Like blow everyone out in the big xii like it's a bunch of patty cakes dangerous. 

I just want to point out that the “actual football people” were the last to realize Charlie Strong was a complete fucking moron that had no business coaching pop Warner.

That was an eye-opening experience, watching “the actual football people” on these boards try to convince themselves we didn’t completely fuck up that hire.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Two of the PI calls, one on Jamison, one on Barron were phantom at best. Jamison hand checked the WR on one and the wr failed to win his route against Barron, grabbed his shoulder and fell down bringing Barron with him. They scored 14 after those plays. 

The defense has to be more disciplined though. The jumping offsides was terrible.

Fuck those refs for calling offsides by not letting our subs get off the field. That was just as bad as the phantom pass interference calls.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I just want to point out that the “actual football people” were the last to realize Charlie Strong was a complete fucking moron that had no business coaching pop Warner.

That was an eye-opening experience, watching “the actual football people” on these boards try to convince themselves we didn’t completely fuck up that hire.

I don't think that is true. They all knew the minute he named his OC. If they didn't, they weren't "actual football people".

6 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I don't think that is true. They all knew the minute he named his OC. If they didn't, they weren't "actual football people".

Oh there were plenty of folks bitching about Watson. But they were blessed with magical football powers and could see the game within the game and that we were just a couple of (insert amazing observation here) from busting this bitch wide open!

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Oh there were plenty of folks bitching about Watson. But they were blessed with magical football powers and could see the game within the game and that we were just a couple of (insert amazing observation here) from busting this bitch wide open!

I don't remember this timeline. Everyone hated Charlie Strong man, everyone. People didn't want to fire him because he was a good person and he was doing good things with respect to the student athletes being upstanding respectful young men. No one liked him as a football coach and no one defended his in-game coaching. 

Tom Herman had to go because he was a cunt. No one thought he wasn't a good X's and O's guy, he clearly was - he had issues motivating his players and keeping buy in from the locker room and recruits. We joked about Mensa all the time, but outside of some pretty bad D coordinator stuff he wasn't a bad gameday coach, or Sam covered up a lot of his blemishes. 

This team is nothing like those 2 teams. It's young, it's clearly bought in, it's not "thugged out", and the players look the part. The problem right now is less mental than it was last year, and it's more make the plays you have to make to go on to the professional level. Xavier Worthy dropping all these passes is going to cost him dearly in the NFL draft if he doesn't figure it out. We aren't looking for average guys to play out of their minds, we are looking for freaks to play consistently and at a level that is appropriate to them when they win the matchup against the guy across from them/defending them. If you win your matchup but drop all your passes what the fuck does it matter? That is a lot different than having guys who can't win matchups or have to depend on blown coverages for opportunities to not squander. The fact that we know almost every single play that at least 1 very dangerous ball carrier will not only be open, but in a position to make a large play is very different from years past. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, JBJ said:

Hoke left behind a fuckton of talent.

Zach Gentry, Shane Morris, DeVeon Smith, Derrick Green, Tyrone Wheatley, Mason Cole, Graham Glasgow, Chase Winovich, Jake Butt, Ian Bunting, Jarrell Peppers, Jourdan Lewis, Taco Charlton, Chris Wormley, Ryan Glasgow, Maurice Hurst, Bryan Mone, Ben Gedeon, Jeremy Clark.

That's a a lot draft picks, and I'm sure I'm missing some who were drafted late and never amounted to anything.

I missed those Tyrone Wheatley Harbaugh years. 

Shane Morris, Horrible. Derrick Green, Horrible. 

Gentry, Deveon, Cole, Glasgow, Winovich, Butt, Peppers, J Lewis, Taco, Wormley and Hurst. That is what was in the cupboard. 

Edited by Juicy

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

While the top end competition in the SEC will be much, much tougher, at least we will be playing big boy football there. No questions if your star LB will get thrown out of the game for sacking the QB. 

Texas is a lame duck in this conference that has the majority of it's games look exactly the same. Every game is kept close and down to the wire in the 4th Quarter. Controversial call after controversial call to keep it close. We can't draw a holding penalty even if our guy is tackled right in front of the ball carrier.

In short, keep recruiting high level talent, we will see what happens when we start playing in a football conference.

Speaking of holding penalties....I've been keeping count of this.

This year in conference play Oklahoma has had zero holding penalties called against their opponents. We have only had 1 holding call called against our opponents as well.

Pretty insane between us and Oklahoma there has only been 1 hold called against our opponents.

The lone holding call:

image.png.b35f0050744657f1be2bbe74aff8b2d7.png

Obviously didn't include our game vs each other.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This year in conference play Oklahoma has had zero holding penalties called against their opponents. We have only had 1 holding call called against our opponents as well.

Pretty insane between us and Oklahoma there has only been 1 hold called against our opponents.

The lone holding call:

Yeah they generally don't call much holding in the rig 12 unless they need to alter the game in some way to keep it close.

You will see Texas make a big play and weak holding call erases it couple of times a game. You will also see deep balls where the defender holds or DPI happens and no flag.

The league is rigged for outcomes they think people want to watch, high scoring and close games coming down to the wire. 

The refs even get to be the star of the show sometimes going into the review booth for 8 min while everyone holds their breath.

Back to Steve, he stinks so far at Texas for shit that happens in-game, but he's recruiting very well and hopefully building a fucking real program we can win with in the SEC. That's all that matters. We were never going to be able to win the rig 12 or even get to the rig 12 title game these lame duck years.

Sucks for Bijan and Ro Jo the most. Robinson would probably win the Heisman if we just went independent that first lame duck year and played BYU, Notre Dame, USC, Alabama, and a handful of other AAC/ACC and other schools that would play us. 

Should've burned the contract with the big 12 after the 2015 Okie Lite game but I guess that just set the wheels in motion for 10 years down the road moving into the SEC. Things happen slower than I'd like but at least they are fucking happening. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Why has Alabama been consistently good for such a long time? Saban has implemented a very precise learning system for every position on the roster. He can bring in brand new coaches every year and not miss a beat.  

It’s that attention to detail that makes the difference between great coaches and average coaches. The sign of a team that doesn’t focus on attention to detail is penalties, missed assignments, lack of knowledge of the playbook, blown second half leads, inconsistency, playing well in some key games but terrible in others, poor technique (DB is a great example), and poor tackling. Any of this sound familiar? 

Bama was terrible with penalties against Texas and Tennessee -- even ole Saban is having issues with consistency and discipline.

The difference is with their more experienced QB, Bama still found a way to beat Texas. 

Our guys have to start overcoming their mistakes in close games and finding ways to win like they did against Iowa State.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The lone holding call:

To add to this, holding is the 2nd most called penalty in CFB (it's the most called in the NFL).  2-3 per game would be normal.

57 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I missed those Tyrone Wheatley Harbaugh years.

That's because you are thinking of the wrong Tyrone Wheatley.  The RB had a son who was a 5*/4* TE/DE, depending on which recruiting service you look at.  He played TE at Michigan until fracturing his foot going into his senior year.

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

That's because you are thinking of the wrong Tyrone Wheatley.  The RB had a son who was a 5*/4* TE/DE, depending on which recruiting service you look at.  He played TE at Michigan until fracturing his foot going into his senior year.

I figured you were talking about Ty Jr. But I couldn't understand why he was included in saying he was one of the stacked talent harbaugh was left with. 

This is his stats sheet.

6 catches for 61 yards over his entire career. 

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

etc, etc

I will own my Charlie apologizing, but not once did I go to bat for late Mack, Manny Diaz, and Tom fucking Hermannnnn....

15 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I figured you were talking about Ty Jr. But I couldn't understand why he was included in saying he was one of the stacked talent harbaugh was left with. 

This is his stats sheet.

6 catches for 61 yards over his entire career. 

Because he was a solid EBS that is currently on an NFL roster.  Swaim only had 13 receptions for 84 yards at Texas yet is one of the better TEs we've had lately.

He's not the level of Jabrill Peppers, but he's somewhere in there among the more talented players Harbaugh had.

5 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Now do this for Oklahoma State

Oklahoma State starters

8 RS seniors(5 years in the program)

7 Seniors or RS Juniors(4 years in the program)

5 Juniors(3 years in the program

2 Sophomores(2 years in the program)

Oklahoma State backups

3 RS Seniors

4 RS Juniors

4 RS Sophomores

2 Sophomores

7 RS Freshmen

2 Freshmen

I know you thought that they would be worse than us but here you go. A lot of experience in their two gap.

• Like 1