This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

What a nice problem that would be to even be having that discussion.

There are coaches that leverage one good year to land massive contracts (hello Mel Tucker!) only to regress the year after. I want to see Sark has consecutive good years before the admins give him an extension. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don't disagree with any of that.

Speaking of guys coming from the NFL, I've always wanted us to keep tabs on Kyle Shanahan if he ever ends up flaming out at that level. 

Were I Texas admin/power brokers, I’d be asking what would it take to get that man to TEXAS if Sark doesn’t improve.

I’m just a $200 donor though.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You've mentioned the guy and I've mentioned a guy who both fit this criteria. If we want to do the absolute best we should just list these 3 guys to try and do that with:

Urban Meyer

Dabo Swinney

Kirby Smart

Those IMO are the only three that fit that criteria, obviously Saban but he's much older than those three guys and likely at his last job.

I think you can add Shanahan to that list. The only question is can/will he want to recruit.

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

What is Steve Sarkisians marquee win his tenure at Texas? 

This year's Oklahoma win? What other win is even in that galaxy? 

Until he has 5 games that are in that galaxy he is a nobody. 

OU … the game they played without a QB?

That’s one way not to blow a halftime lead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

We will likely take another shot at Urban after 2024 and before heading into the SEC. Will take one of those big 10 year/$100M contracts like Kelly and Riley got but I could see him being interested in one final run after failing miserably in Jacksonville.

Agreed, and not sure how I feel about it. The dude can coach, he’s just SCUM.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, immamac said:

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Truthfully? His biggest win is a loss to Bama.

And those are very problematic facts going forward. At some point, recruiting will tail off if you’re not winning games.

We will likely take another shot at Urban after 2024 and before heading into the SEC. Will take one of those big 10 year/$100M contracts like Kelly and Riley got but I could see him being interested in one final run after failing miserably in Jacksonville.

I’m glad you aren’t a BMD.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I can't tell if you're pro or anti Sark

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

There are coaches that leverage one good year to land massive contracts (hello Mel Tucker!) only to regress the year after. I want to see Sark has consecutive good years before the admins give him an extension. 

Well, at least we're not MSU, thank God.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yup. Imo we have year 3 then year 4 a small extension will need to be done if we think he’s the guy, if he makes it to year 4. 

Yep.  He will either get canned, or an extension by year 4, for recruiting purposes.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

There was also sort of a race with LSU to get him, which probably sped things up. I don't even remember who the other options were if we didn't get Herman. Harsin?

I had read that Harsin was still pretty butt hurt over how he was handled here but obviously not a job you turn down in his position

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

DeBoer seems like a younger version of Leipold coming from a very successful stint in the lower NCAA ranks and working up. I'd be okay with interviewing Leipold but he's 58 years old currently. Might be 60 by the time this job opens up. 

We definitely shouldn't shy away from poaching big names from other schools just as LSU and USC did this past offseason.

My current big board would be the following in no particular order:

Current:
Lance Leipold
Kalen DaBoer, now that you mention him.
Luke Fickell
Dave Aranda

Dan Lanning(lets see how he continues at Oregon)

Jamey Chadwell

Make Them Say No:

Dabo Swinney

Not Currently Coaching:

Matt Rhule
Urban Meyer

Intriguing list.  Will be interested to see how well received some of these names would be when we're headed to the SEC

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don't disagree with any of that.

Speaking of guys coming from the NFL, I've always wanted us to keep tabs on Kyle Shanahan if he ever ends up flaming out at that level. 

He does not seem like the type to like recruiting.  Horrible disposition, but he can coach and obviously has the name.  Better OC than Sark as well

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

He'd win but I don't see it happening

44 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I’m glad you aren’t a BMD.

This. If we go that route, we’re in “win at all costs” Baylor territory… Downright irresponsible to put Urban in charge of ~85 18-24 olds… 

Even if Urban’s approach successfully translates to the modern CFB era (which I’m skeptical of), the wins would not outweigh the inevitable scandal and media circus.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Can this forum software be setup to find/replace any instance of the phrase "money whip" with "I'm a fucking idiot who doesn't understand how coach hiring works" ?

I think the last quote you provided is the entirety of our university. So maybe change it to “university of Texas hiring practice” but when have 

but realistically when has Texas actually money whipped a football coach? We’ve done so in lesser sports but not football

Edited by BurntOrange&White

We fired our last coach after we lost three games and won our bowl game. Covid shortened, but still.

Mack was fired after a similar year. Think we finished 9-4?

Mack was 8-5 in his final year. He was tied with Baylor at half of the last game of the year, the de facto Big 12 championship game. That was not a particularly good team but he got them to go on a run through a weak Big 12. I don’t put a lot of weight on the bowl game debacle given the circumstances surrounding the program at that point. Mack was 9-4 the year before.

Tom Herman was fired in a year in which he’d have been 10-3, given the games canceled were Rice, Kansas, and an absolute dumpster fire of a LSU team. That team probably should have won the Big 12, and they underachieved in 2019 too at 8-5.

So there’s definitely precedent for letting a coach go in the ~9 win ballpark.
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

This. If we go that route, we’re in “win at all costs” Baylor territory… Downright irresponsible to put Urban in charge of ~85 18-24 olds… 

Even if Urban’s approach successfully translates to the modern CFB era (which I’m skeptical of), 

You should be.  He would be texting to Jimbo about how dumb this state is with their money. 

How many seasons will it take to be able to evaluate Sark with players he recruited? O line is trending up. offensive skills is trending up. I honestly can't tell on defense although some of the D line recent and near future guys should make a difference. That, and upgrading the defensive staff should be the weighpoints, I would think. After X years of recruiting there should be upward trending. It is pretty clear now that recruiting under Herman had completely failed, and the attrition was epic. I can appreciate that being a tough situation to step into. However, there needs to be a time when that no longer applies, and I assume it would be after year 3. That gives his first class time to be RS sophs or Jrs. Enough time in to have "his" experienced starters starting and changing things.

LB is a real problem. I don't know if the defensive schemes are problematic as no one seems to be consistently doing their jobs. I realize we need upgrades at a lot of positions, but how can a coach not impress on a kid to shadow a QB? The defense has to get  fixed, whatever that takes. So that kind of goes back to the question I posed much earlier: what role does Patterson play? It is impossible for me to believe that he doesn't have an opinion as to what needs to be done on defense. I don't think he wants to take the job, but surely Sark is using him as a resource to analyze the problems on that side. Maybe his response is that the schemes are sound but the current group is a mixture of blah talent and thick skulls. Maybe he is helping with a DC wish list. I just want to begin seeing a trend upward. 

Being fair and realistic, how many seasons before you continue riding with what you have, or come to the conclusion that it's time to move on?

33 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Mack was 8-5 in his final year. He was tied with Baylor at half of the last game of the year, the de facto Big 12 championship game. That was not a particularly good team but he got them to go on a run through a weak Big 12. I don’t put a lot of weight on the bowl game debacle given the circumstances surrounding the program at that point. Mack was 9-4 the year before.

Tom Herman was fired in a year in which he’d have been 10-3, given the games canceled were Rice, Kansas, and an absolute dumpster fire of a LSU team. That team probably should have won the Big 12, and they underachieved in 2019 too at 8-5.

So there’s definitely precedent for letting a coach go in the ~9 win ballpark.

Mack's record his last few years didn't really reflect how bad the teams were. His last season, all 5 losses were by 19 or more. It was really clear he had to go.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Being fair and realistic, how many seasons before you continue riding with what you have, or come to the conclusion that it's time to move on?

As long as things don't totally fall apart and Sark gets Arch signed and playing at Texas, Sark should keep the Texas job at least thru the 2025 season (that's 5 years as Head Coach).  

But folks on the current defensive staff are on a short leash.

3 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Thanks for the correction. It probably buys us another year. I sincerely hope we don't extend him next year regardless of how well the team does.

Unless he wins a conference championship somehow I think any extension prior to Year 5 would be a mistake. We already did that when Herman almost won the Big 12 in 2018.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

How many seasons will it take to be able to evaluate Sark with players he recruited? O line is trending up. offensive skills is trending up. I honestly can't tell on defense although some of the D line recent and near future guys should make a difference. That, and upgrading the defensive staff should be the weighpoints, I would think. After X years of recruiting there should be upward trending. It is pretty clear now that recruiting under Herman had completely failed, and the attrition was epic. I can appreciate that being a tough situation to step into. However, there needs to be a time when that no longer applies, and I assume it would be after year 3. That gives his first class time to be RS sophs or Jrs. Enough time in to have "his" experienced starters starting and changing things.

LB is a real problem. I don't know if the defensive schemes are problematic as no one seems to be consistently doing their jobs. I realize we need upgrades at a lot of positions, but how can a coach not impress on a kid to shadow a QB? The defense has to get  fixed, whatever that takes. So that kind of goes back to the question I posed much earlier: what role does Patterson play? It is impossible for me to believe that he doesn't have an opinion as to what needs to be done on defense. I don't think he wants to take the job, but surely Sark is using him as a resource to analyze the problems on that side. Maybe his response is that the schemes are sound but the current group is a mixture of blah talent and thick skulls. Maybe he is helping with a DC wish list. I just want to begin seeing a trend upward. 

It depends on recruiting the first three years and then his record after that. Strong got 3 years because it was clearly a failure - nothing was going to happen to turn that around. Herman got 4 because recruiting had fallen off and everyone hated him. If Sark keeps recruiting well (which won't happen unless he's winning at an acceptable level), he'll get at least 4 years because he's not an asshole.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I don’t know that he’ll be hired, I do think we approach him again.

The dude is the definition of toxic and his coaching style is outdated with how college football, or any football really, works nowadays.

He was an amazing college coach but his time coaching football is done and I think he knows that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Mack's record his last few years didn't really reflect how bad the teams were. His last season, all 5 losses were by 19 or more. It was really clear he had to go.

I don’t disagree. My point was more that if that becomes clear, being in that 9 win ball park has shown not to be somewhere that Texas won’t fire a coach, as was floated above.

2 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

How are we trending in conference road games when we lead at halftime? 

Your point is not lost on me. Learning to finish a game would be trending in the right direction. This season needs to get better at the end for us. If that happens, and the incoming class remains intact, year 3 should be vastly improved. Something has to give on the D side for that to continue into next season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

Plus recruiting had cratered, regardless of how hard he was killing himself in Florida.

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He did that in year 1 lol

Again, he had no upperclassman talent at all on last year’s roster (not a single player drafted) and had 2 QBs who were bad and never played before. That’s different than being 5-7 in your third year. I think people still don’t fully accept just how bad that roster was last year. 

Right now, it seems like the team is a bit better than last year’s even with a freshman QB who has done some freshman things. We’ll see how they close this year. My guess is that they’ll split and finish 7-5, which, while not thrilling, isn’t a terrible outcome. If they fall apart and end on another long losing streak, well, Sark will be on the hot seat probably.

I think the off-season and next season will tell us what Sark will be. If he signs a good class, keeps talented players out of the portal, attracts talented players from the portal, and wins 10 games with a more experienced and talented roster, then perhaps he’s not a lost cause. If it’s the same bullshit, where every conference game is a coin flip, then yeah, we’ll know. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

The dude is the definition of toxic and his coaching style is outdated with how college football, or any football really, works nowadays.

He was an amazing college coach but his time coaching football is done and I think he knows that.

He’s absolutely a piece of shit.

He’s a GREAT collegiate football coach.