This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I think it’s a mirage. Because the defense allows long drives in the second half over and over, the offense doesn’t get the ball much and when they do, they are conservative because they are trying to preserve big leads that leak to small leads. Plus tonight there were turnovers. The offense wasn’t great, and the three straight runs at the end were infuriating, but defense is the bigger problem by far. 

It hasn't mattered what we've called in the end of games. Our guys play tight because they aren't used to winning/don't believe they can. Someone always makes a crucial mistake or doesn't make a play when someone needs to make one. Again tonight we start making mental mistakes in the second half. Penalties galore on both sides of the ball. Fumble. Inability to get on their fumbles. Missed blocks. On the 3rd and 2 call Bijan has to hit the hole hard. Instead he stops and looks for a hole and gets hit in the backfield. 

When you are losing like we do by struggling in the second half it takes someone to finally make a play. Loser teams fold at the end. It's what they do. Someone has to finally bow their back and say enough is enough. This could be the game that breaks us through. We will see. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Same second half shit offense as last game.  Running the ball is fine, but we bunch up on an obvious third and short and do exactly what everyone in the world knows is coming...run right up the middle when KSU has most of their defenders in the box.  We do tons of pre-snap motion and misdirection in the first half and when the second half comes, it's the same vanilla crap playcalling.  Again, just saving one fucking play for a key moment in the second half would be huge.  Sark is a mastermind in the first half then pulls a Jimbo in the second.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Always happy when Texas wins but I’m really scratching my head that some of y’all like to deflect the piss poor second half offensive performance on penalties. And these were 5 yard penalties which this offensive talent should be able to overcome. There wasn’t a big discrepancy between the teams tonight and somehow K sate outplays Texas in the second half like many other teams in the last two seasons.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

nah, we tend to blow close games because Sark turtles in the 2nd half with his playcalling and PK is the worst DC we've ever had.  That's hard for our players to overcome.  

He does not set his team up for success, no doubt about it.

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It hasn't mattered what we've called in the end of games. Our guys play tight because they aren't used to winning/don't believe they can. Someone always makes a crucial mistake or doesn't make a play when someone needs to make one. Again tonight we start making mental mistakes in the second half. Penalties galore on both sides of the ball. Fumble. Inability to get on their fumbles. Missed blocks. On the 3rd and 2 call Bijan has to hit the hole hard. Instead he stops and looks for a hole and gets hit in the backfield. 

When you are losing like we do by struggling in the second half it takes someone to finally make a play. Loser teams fold at the end. It's what they do. Someone has to finally bow their back and say enough is enough. This could be the game that breaks us through. We will see. 

Being confident and making plays is a huge part of it. D line finally did. Could be a turning point but with the talent on this team, sark should have them winning going away, that isn’t happening and that’s in large part on sark. 

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

I just don’t understand how this guy cannot come up with a way to make teams pay for selling out to stop Bijan. It should be very easy to use that against them. Short crossing routes should be super simple when they are doing this. 

I think a big part of that is Ewers' choices within the play call.

When the play call doesn't have a deep receiver, we make short completions.  But without the deep receiver, the secondary may not be stretched.

And, stacking the box can lead to pressure if the OL whiffs or brain farts, which is all too common.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I just don’t understand how this guy cannot come up with a way to make teams pay for selling out to stop Bijan. It should be very easy to use that against them. Short crossing routes should be super simple when they are doing this. 

They do. Ewers takes the deep option instead. He is a freshman who believes in his arm. 

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

When the play call doesn't have a deep receiver, we make short completions.  But without the deep receiver, the secondary may not be stretched.

And, stacking the box can lead to pressure if the OL whiffs or brain farts, which is all too common.

But you don’t need a deep receiver when they have 9 in the box. Remember when we made the obvious pitch to Bijan? A fake toss there with a shallow crosser is going to be wide ass open. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Only had 5 real possessions that totaled 120 yards. 2 were three and outs.

As was pointed out above, the defense allowing longer drives in the second half puts more of a microscope on the the offense because it limits possessions.

I’d say the defense giving up long clock chewing drives is a benefit as it means I don’t have to see our second half offense as much.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

But you don’t need a deep receiver when they have 9 in the box. Remember when we made the obvious pitch to Bijan? A fake toss there with a shallow crosser is going to be wide ass open. 

What happens when you have 9 guys in the box and you drop back to pass on a critical 3rd down? Let me answer for you. A free rusher on a slow developing crossing route. Ball has to come out fast and there is a lot of traffic across the middle so that's not an option. 

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

Kelly just beat Bama with a team that was (checks notes) 6-7 last season and decimated by everyone leaving after the NC and the subsequent mess.

But, HC’s need time to succeed…

Big difference between a team a couple years removed from winning it all and a team who hasn't had real success since 2009. But we are Texas right? Lol. I swear you love to be miserable. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Big difference between a team a couple years removed from winning it all and a team who hasn't had real success since 2009. But we are Texas right? Lol. I swear you love to be miserable. 

There is a huge difference, LSU lost vastly more players in those 2 seasons than we did and they were EVEN worse over the last two seasons than we were…

LSU

2020-5-5

2021-6-7

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Cool. Go suck him off then. I’m enjoying a win by our own team.

Go fuck yourself. I posted about how this was a good win in this thread before you did.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think it’s a mirage. Because the defense allows long drives in the second half over and over, the offense doesn’t get the ball much and when they do, they are conservative because they are trying to preserve big leads that leak to small leads. Plus tonight there were turnovers. The offense wasn’t great, and the three straight runs at the end were infuriating, but defense is the bigger problem by far. 

agreed.  the defense is by far the bigger issue.  what did they say tonight, we're 90th in the country in 3rd down conversion success??  fucking horrible.  the defense is on the field all the fucking time because they can't get off of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

He’s just a nice guy that doesn’t have the intensity to focus enough and to fire non-performers and fix the little things.

Didn’t he just fire a non-performer last year? Everything I’ve read/heard is that he is a cool laid back guy in public but he can get pissed behind closed doors.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Didn’t he just fire a non-performer last year? Everything I’ve read/heard is that he is a cool laid back guy in public but he can get pissed behind closed doors.

I think Sarkisian allowed PK the same "excuse" he gave himself:  these guys are not actually good and they don't know how to win.  Then Sark used the portal pretty effectively along with recruiting to fix some things.  PK played with his pecker.

I'm really hoping Sark says "not good enough, Pete, sorry, see ya."

7 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

agreed.  the defense is by far the bigger issue.  what did they say tonight, we're 90th in the country in 3rd down conversion success??  fucking horrible.  the defense is on the field all the fucking time because they can't get off of it.

96th.

7 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

96th

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think Sarkisian allowed PK the same "excuse" he gave himself:  these guys are not actually good and they don't know how to win.  Then Sark used the portal pretty effectively along with recruiting to fix some things.  PK played with his pecker.

I'm really hoping Sark says "not good enough, Pete, sorry, see ya."

I’m talking about how he fired Coleman. He could have easily the entire staff a mulligan.

This is definitely part of it. Multiple errant downfield shots passed up easy yardage underneath. On the wheel to Bijan on third down in the red zone. Whittington would have walked in on the other side.

Now, we all know how involved Sark is at that position, so that still comes back to him. But it’s not just play calls.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Kelly just beat Bama with a team that was (checks notes) 6-7 last season and decimated by everyone leaving after the NC and the subsequent mess.

We very nearly beat Bama and deserved to win the game with a team that was 5-7 last season and returned a bunch of the players who contributed to that 5-7 season.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

We very nearly beat Bama and deserved to win the game with a team that was 5-7 last season and returned a bunch of the players who contributed to that 5-7 season.

Just ran out of time?

Nicolas Cage Wink GIF

and who coached that 5-7 season last year for us?

who coached the last two years for LSU? 

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I’m so fucking torn on this guy.

On the one hand, he’s a great playcaller and has recruited well.

On the other, we suck ass in the second half.

But our QB can’t complete shit downfield so he doesn’t trust him. And our players are determined to fuck up with penalties to put us in a hole to begin with. So what’s he supposed to do?

Fuck me. It’s maddening.

It's almost like the Longhorn program has to go through a complete rebuild after a decade of incompetence and mismanagement.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We had a false start penalty on every damn drive in the second half except the FG drive and final 3 and out. Literally. Not making excuses but it’s hard to call plays constantly behind the chains.

“If it weren’t for the dumb penalties….”

seems like an odd start in defense of your coach

• Hook 'Em 1