This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I just want to point out that the “actual football people” were the last to realize Charlie Strong was a complete fucking moron that had no business coaching pop Warner.

That was an eye-opening experience, watching “the actual football people” on these boards try to convince themselves we didn’t completely fuck up that hire.

My backing of Strong had to do with recruiting. He was such a good recruiter at his other stops that I thought for sure he would kill it here. He didn't, which was weird, but it was what it was. Charlie made a lot of mistakes here. His coordinators to start. Not getting a QB. It was rough. Sark hasn't done any of that. The calls have been pretty decent. Guys were there to make plays and just didn't make them. I will be the first to say not a fan of PK's but he wasn't out there running fire zones against GT counters and using undermanned fronts. 

• Rage+1 1

Very big question marks about Sark remain and will until the record matches the supposed talent level. 

With that said, for a few years now I’ve watched Texas teams just not execute on the field well, either offensively or defensively. There are periodic stretches where they get manhandled. They make a ton of mistakes, etc.

A lot of that is coaching, but it sure seems like there is also something else happening. The recruiting ranking of Texas players vs. their ultimate performance on the field has been for the most part poor the last several years. There’s always a core group of 5-10 guys that are solid, but behind them performance quickly drops off. 

A contributing factor has to either be culture, or the type of player we recruit, which might also be culture. I believe Herman and Sark have both tried to implement the right type of culture, so either it just takes time, or we are getting a certain type of player that can’t turn their recruiting rankings into on field success. 

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Very big question marks about Sark remain and will until the record matches the supposed talent level. 

With that said, for a few years now I’ve watched Texas teams just not execute on the field well, either offensively or defensively. There are periodic stretches where they get manhandled. They make a ton of mistakes, etc.

A lot of that is coaching, but it sure seems like there is also something else happening. The recruiting ranking of Texas players vs. their ultimate performance on the field has been for the most part poor the last several years. There’s always a core group of 5-10 guys that are solid, but behind them performance quickly drops off. 

A contributing factor has to either be culture, or the type of player we recruit, which might also be culture. I believe Herman and Sark have both tried to implement the right type of culture, so either it just takes time, or we are getting a certain type of player that can’t turn their recruiting rankings into on field success. 

I think it can also go back to the fact that not all top 5 classes are the same. Herman’s 2018 and 2019 top 5 classes centered around safeties and receivers. As a matter of fact out of our top 10 ranked signees in the 2018 class, not one was a OL, DL or edge player. 2019 class had 1 between the three positions (Tyler Johnson lol). Our 2022 class had 6 (3 OL, 2 edge and 1 DL).

We are doing a better job of getting well-balanced classes than we ever did under Herman. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Like clockwork we’ve gone from preseason “look at all the talent we have, 10 wins ZOMG” to in-season “look at how thin we are talent-wise”

Every. Fucking. Year.

Anyone who predicted 10 wins this year in August with confidence with Bama on the non-conference was blowing smoke up your ass, especially after the Neyor injury.

Large majority of people said 9-3 to 8-4, which surprisingly requires that you lose 3 or 4 games.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Like clockwork we’ve gone from preseason “look at all the talent we have, 10 wins ZOMG” to in-season “look at how thin we are talent-wise”

Every. Fucking. Year.

I think some people yes, but I specifically have been saying that the talent is there and there are just some experience/big moment fuckups/not playing to their clear ability issues that happen in unfortunate times in games that have a lot of other negative factors (refs, weather, whatever) going against the team already. 

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Every. Fucking. Year.

LOL, no one was saying 10 wins in preseason. Some might have been optimistic. Most became optimistic after the way we played against BAMA, me included. I recall some said 10 wins was the ceiling but far fetched. I figured 9 wins was the ceiling with seems to be about right.

58 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think it can also go back to the fact that not all top 5 classes are the same. Herman’s 2018 and 2019 top 5 classes centered around safeties and receivers. As a matter of fact out of our top 10 ranked signees in the 2018 class, not one was a OL, DL or edge player. 2019 class had 1 between the three positions (Tyler Johnson lol). Our 2022 class had 6 (3 OL, 2 edge and 1 DL).

We are doing a better job of getting well-balanced classes than we ever did under Herman. 

This is a really good point. I complained for the last several years about poor recruiting and depth along the lines. This is definitely one of the challenges, and we all know it takes a few years in a strength and conditioning program to get the size, strength and depth needed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Funny as by just about any metric Tom is far superior to Charlie.  And actually Steve as well 

As a game day coach maybe but certainly not as an evaluator, recruiter, program manager. Charlie was in way over his head in all aspects. Tom was just a prick that wore out his welcome amongst fans, donors, players and Administrators. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The credit to Sark for finally recruiting OL other programs actually wanted, was well deserved. When Banks' fellow OL class members get up to speed, that will be a huge difference. DL recruiting and LB recruiting while improving, needs to bump it up. I don't know if PK's schemes are hard to recruit to, or if we don't have enough solid recruiters on the D side. Whatever the deficit, I would hope it gets addressed soon.

A strong argument that we are closer than we've been in a long time is what most of the last few pages are to me. Likewise, the remaining depth issues and lack of top shelf talent at some very important positions was fleshed out in detail. And even the lack of experience at essential positions where we have top shelf talent (QB, LT) was pointed out. I would say the greater weight of relevant evidence suggests we should drink alcohol, and be optimists. I think my wife will keep watching games with me if I stop yelling "what the fuck is this shit?" at the TV, and just grin and drink. The future looks, well, not dark.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

LOL, no one was saying 10 wins in preseason. Some might have been optimistic. Most became optimistic after the way we played against BAMA, me included. I recall some said 10 wins was the ceiling but far fetched. I figured 9 wins was the ceiling with seems to be about right.

I am guilty of this as much as anyone, but I think the thing that pisses everyone off to another level is that we are better than our record. It’s easy to predict and be content with a 9-3/8-4 season in August where we get outclassed by Bama, a good Oklahoma State team on the road and slip off another time or two, but then you see it live and know that we should have won all 3 of the games we lost. It would be one thing if it was obvious we still had a ways to go, but it makes it that much more maddening knowing we are somewhat close.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Funny as by just about any metric Tom is far superior to Charlie.  And actually Steve as well 

To be determined as far as Sark goes. Tom walked into a QB who started for the Colts last game. His second year he was 9-3. Sark still has time to match that. But to me he was always going to lose here. His ball control O fits the BIG not the Big12. Games were always in reach. 

6 hours ago, immamac said:

Charlie the football coach? There were no defenders man - IDK what to tell you. This time in his tenure no one liked Charlie the football coach. 

Wow.  You're really mistaken here.  You have no recollection of the "Come take your medicine!' posts after Texas beat Notre Dame to open 2016?

The Strong supporters (and there were many) were riding high on Shaggy after that win, calling out every naysayer from the previous two seasons, as the victory over Top 10 Notre Dame validated their unwavering support of Strong.

That was year 3 for Charlie, so yeah, by this time in his tenure Strong still had quite a contingent and they had no patience for all the idiots and their lack of faith.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

You think we have a real chance to win out? I would be pleased with 2-2 the rest of the way. 

I don't honestly think we will win out. I think seasons need to be judged on the circumstances. Had we had Ewers all year I think 9-3 is a realistic expectation because Ewers gets easier games to adjust to playing at the college level. As it stands Ewers games are a tuneup game vs ULM, Bama, OU in the Cotton Bowl, the best D in the conference, and on the road vs the best D-line in the conference and a top 10 team. Had he gotten to finish the Bama game, get work in against a salty UTSA and Tech, we are looking at a different season. 

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Wow.  You're really mistaken here.  You have no recollection of the "Come take your medicine!' posts after Texas beat Notre Dame to open 2016?

The Strong supporters (and there were many) were riding high on Shaggy after that win, calling out every naysayer from the previous two seasons, as the victory over Top 10 Notre Dame validated their unwavering support of Strong.

That was year 3 for Charlie, so yeah, by this time in his tenure Strong still had quite a contingent and they had no patience for all the idiots and their lack of faith.

I remember them well. It was a small but passionate group.  The paul newman guy from slapshots was my favorite.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Augustus said:

There were still posters here who didn’t want Strong fired after losing to Kansas.

4 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Will there be posters who don't want Sark fired if/when we lose to Kansas two years in a row? 

I suspect so. We have people on this thread who refuse to give him any blame for losing to Tech (and their 3rd string QB), or losing to OSU after holding a 14  (17?) point lead. Those people likely will cling to their stance until (and after) Sark is shown the door.

18 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

yep, either way it will be great.  I'd love for the guy to succeed.  I'm not confident though.  The red flags are innumerable.  

Agreed. Here’s hoping he wins out and shuts us up.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

After today’s team meeting the players sent this to Sark. (Sarkasm)

1. Dance with the one that brung ya and practice what you preach regarding all gas no brakes
2. Trust what is working then do it again. Then do it another time. Then do it again and again until the other team stops us
3. Get Bijan, Rojo and Keilan a combined 40 carries
4. Throw AT LEAST five seam routs to Sanders (and any other TE). It will loosen up the linebackers and help the running game, and oh yeah, it'll keep the safeties honest so you can hit Worthy down the sidelines too.
5. We know you love the deep ball, and SO DO WE, but how about a few more short passes? Remember when Worthy caught the ball at (or just behind) the line of scrimmage on the FIRST play of the zerou game last year then took it to the house for a 75 yard TD? Why haven't we seen that again yet?
6. Did you see how the OSU defense played against KSU last week? Yeah, we did too, tell PK not to do that please. 
7. Savion has some gas and you seem to need some, how about it?
8. Offensive lineman like to run block and you have two of the best running backs in the country (and two really really good back ups), what do you think you should do with that information?
9. We're getting tired of losing games after busting our **** to get a second half lead, are you getting tired of that too? Are you?
10. We still have a chance to play for a Big 12 championship this year, but that isn't going to happen if you don't pull your head out of your ****, are you willing and able to do that? We'd really like to be a good team and we think we have the ability, we just need the right coaching and play calling.

from 247

Edited by Vince McCoy

12 minutes ago, Vince McCoy said:

After today’s team meeting the players sent this to Sark. (Sarkasm)

1. Dance with the one that brung ya and practice what you preach regarding all gas no brakes
2. Trust what is working then do it again. Then do it another time. Then do it again and again until the other team stops us
3. Get Bijan, Rojo and Keilan a combined 40 carries
4. Throw AT LEAST five seam routs to Sanders (and any other TE). It will loosen up the linebackers and help the running game, and oh yeah, it'll keep the safeties honest so you can hit Worthy down the sidelines too.
5. We know you love the deep ball, and SO DO WE, but how about a few more short passes? Remember when Worthy caught the ball at (or just behind) the line of scrimmage on the FIRST play of the zerou game last year then took it to the house for a 75 yard TD? Why haven't we seen that again yet?
6. Did you see how the OSU defense played against KSU last week? Yeah, we did too, tell PK not to do that please. 
7. Savion has some gas and you seem to need some, how about it?
8. Offensive lineman like to run block and you have two of the best running backs in the country (and two really really good back ups), what do you think you should do with that information?
9. We're getting tired of losing games after busting our **** to get a second half lead, are you getting tired of that too? Are you?
10. We still have a chance to play for a Big 12 championship this year, but that isn't going to happen if you don't pull your head out of your ****, are you willing and able to do that? We'd really like to be a good team and we think we have the ability, we just need the right coaching and play calling.

from 247

This makes no sense. No wonder you guys get so mad at Sark. 

2) Sark ran counter and when OSU came out after halftime they shut it down. He adjusted to 12 personnel with double tights on the field and they popped some runs, but we missed some blocks enough times that it put us behind the chains. 

3) Getting stuffed on runs makes you have to throw. Getting behind in score makes you throw more. 

4) First, the QB decides where the ball goes not Sark. There are multiple people out in routes and its QE's job to decide who is open. Secondly, RPO's up the seam take awhile to develop and we were allowing a lot of pressure on those slow developing plays. 

5) The second TD was a pass BEHIND the LOS to Worthy for a TD. We also targeted worthy on short crosses. He caught one for 25 and he dropped the other. We targeted running backs on short passes and both were dropped. 

😎 We aren't very good at run blocking unless there is some wrinkle to it. Straight blocking someone gets beat almost every time. 

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

There were still posters here who didn’t want Strong fired after losing to Kansas.

There were also people here chest bumping when we got Herman. Imagine that? A guy who's claim to fame was being the OC for Urban Meyer, running Urban Meyer's offense, and then taking over a program that had just realized their wide receiver was the best QB(Greg Ward Jr) on the team and gone 7-3 down the stretch after the change the year prior to his arrival. A guy who never proved he could recruit because he wasn't there long enough to show any prowess. And finally, a guy who's ball control offense required the QB to be the best athlete on the field and play hero ball in a conference where scoring comes easy. We went all in on a guy like that at the University of Texas. That's like Tom Brady deciding he wants to date Rebel Wilson because she was funny in that one movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

There were also people here chest bumping when we got Herman. Imagine that? A guy who's claim to fame was being the OC for Urban Meyer, running Urban Meyer's offense, and then taking over a program that had just realized their wide receiver was the best QB(Greg Ward Jr) on the team and gone 7-3 down the stretch after the change the year prior to his arrival. A guy who never proved he could recruit because he wasn't there long enough to show any prowess. And finally, a guy who's ball control offense required the QB to be the best athlete on the field and play hero ball in a conference where scoring comes easy. We went all in on a guy like that at the University of Texas. That's like Tom Brady deciding he wants to date Rebel Wilson because she was funny in that one movie. 

and Tom Herman accomplished more on the field in 2 seasons at Houston than Steve Sarkisian (who you defend as though he’s fucking you) has in his entire career….

Herman rightfully only got 4 seasons at TEXAS, and despite the flaws that later became evident, had a winning percentage for his career and Texas HC tenure of which Sarkisian can only dream. 

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 3

This comparison to Harbaugh is fucking laughable. Harbaugh had more success at both the college and pro levels prior to Michigan than 7 win Steve could ever dream about. We have enough talent to compete with anyone today, as evidenced by the repeated 2nd half collapses since Sark has been here. Teams devoid of talent get their nuts kicked in from the get go. We fuck around with good teams and not so good teams. We're clueless how to put close games away. That's not a talent issue, that's a coaching issue.

We're 20 games into it with Sark now, sporting a .500 overall  record and .428 record in conf. Sark isn't getting canned this year, but lulz at thinking the top brass will give him 4 or 5 years no matter what. We're pretty much where we were at a similar point in Strong's era. Half the fans arguing vociferously he just needs more time to get his guys, and half the fans realizing we fucked up. Sark just got the losing to kansas part out of the way in season 1. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

and Tom Herman accomplished more on the field in 2 seasons at Houston than Steve Sarkisian (who you defend as though he’s fucking you) has in his entire career….

Herman rightfully only got 4 seasons at TEXAS, and despite the flaws that later became evident, had a winning percentage for his career and Texas HC tenure of which Sarkisian can only dream. 

Very short sighted retort. You are NOT judging things based on the situation as usual. I misspoke before when I said Greg Ward Jr was 7-3. Details matter. 

UH in 2014 started out 2-3. Coach Tony Levine made the switch to Greg Ward Jr and they went 6-2 to finish the season. He was fired despite getting it turned around in a big way. In comes Tom Herman sporting Urban Meyer's running quarterback offense stumbling upon Ward Jr a receiver turned QB, who was as dynamic a runner as there was, already there and 6-2 as a starter. They go on a nice run his first year playing only 1 power 5 team in Louisville until getting Pitt in a bowl game. The next year they would lose to Navy, SMU, Memphis, and San Diego State. So Tom Herman had one year where he caught people off guard and got a favorable schedule. The very next year with the same players they looked exactly like they did at 9-4 when Tony Levine had them 8-5. 

Sark got to UW in 2009 where they had gone 0-12 the year prior. 0-12. This is the same year when USC is #5 and Oregon went to the Rose Bowl under Chip Kelly. Stanford is also ranked, as well as Arizona under the Stoops brothers with Gronk(Nick Foles was a sophomore on that team), and Oregon State. He went from 5 wins his first season to 9 wins his last season all at a time when USC, Oregon, and Stanford were playing dominant football. His last year they lost those four games to #5 Stanford, #2 Oregon, 10-4 ASU(8-1 in conference), and #13 UCLA. 

So Herman's best season was a year when they played Tenn Tech, Louisville, and Texas State as their out of conference schedule. They are one of the expected top teams in their conference being smack dab in one of the best recruiting cities in the nation. Meanwhile Sark went 9-4 vs a schedule that included 4 ranked teams, 2 of them in the top 5, a #19 Chris Peterson led Boise State team, and Illinois OOC. They are one of the bottom feeders in their conference, and have 0 recruiting grounds anywhere near them. 

Sark built an 0-12 team to a respectable 9-4 from the ground up with his recruits in a conference where they were NOT the team kids wanted to play for. Ton Herman took over an already winning team, who had gone 6-2 over their last 8, who was one of the top teams in their conference. Tom had an NFL quarterback at Texas as soon as he stepped foot on campus. Sark had Card and Thompson. Details matter. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Very short sighted retort. You are NOT judging things based on the situation as usual. I misspoke before when I said Greg Ward Jr was 7-3. Details matter. 

UH in 2014 started out 2-3. Coach Tony Levine made the switch to Greg Ward Jr and they went 6-2 to finish the season. He was fired despite getting it turned around in a big way. In comes Tom Herman sporting Urban Meyer's running quarterback offense stumbling upon Ward Jr a receiver turned QB, who was as dynamic a runner as there was, already there and 6-2 as a starter. They go on a nice run his first year playing only 1 power 5 team in Louisville until getting Pitt in a bowl game. The next year they would lose to Navy, SMU, Memphis, and San Diego State. So Tom Herman had one year where he caught people off guard and got a favorable schedule. The very next year with the same players they looked exactly like they did at 9-4 when Tony Levine had them 8-5. 

Sark got to UW in 2009 where they had gone 0-12 the year prior. 0-12. This is the same year when USC is #5 and Oregon went to the Rose Bowl under Chip Kelly. Stanford is also ranked, as well as Arizona under the Stoops brothers with Gronk(Nick Foles was a sophomore on that team), and Oregon State. He went from 5 wins his first season to 9 wins his last season all at a time when USC, Oregon, and Stanford were playing dominant football. His last year they lost those four games to #5 Stanford, #2 Oregon, 10-4 ASU(8-1 in conference), and #13 UCLA. 

So Herman's best season was a year when they played Tenn Tech, Louisville, and Texas State as their out of conference schedule. They are one of the expected top teams in their conference being smack dab in one of the best recruiting cities in the nation. Meanwhile Sark went 9-4 vs a schedule that included 4 ranked teams, 2 of them in the top 5, a #19 Chris Peterson led Boise State team, and Illinois OOC. They are one of the bottom feeders in their conference, and have 0 recruiting grounds anywhere near them. 

Sark built an 0-12 team to a respectable 9-4 from the ground up with his recruits in a conference where they were NOT the team kids wanted to play for. Ton Herman took over an already winning team, who had gone 6-2 over their last 8, who was one of the top teams in their conference. Tom had an NFL quarterback at Texas as soon as he stepped foot on campus. Sark had Card and Thompson. Details matter. 

Get your facts together, Steve Sarkisian never won 9 games at Washington. He’s only won 9 games 1x (USC 2014, with someone else’s recruits) He’s only coached Teams that lost less than 6 games 2 times (excluding the season where he was fired for being drunk on the job and this as yet incomplete season) in 7 complete seasons.

Tom Herman only lost 6 games 1 time in 6 seasons. 

Details indeed DO matter.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Get your facts together, Steve Sarkisian never won 9 games at Washington. He’s only won 9 games 1x (USC 2014, with someone else’s recruits) He’s only coached Teams that lost less than 6 games 2 times (excluding the season where he was fired for being drunk on the job and this as yet incomplete season) in 7 complete seasons.

Fuck herman but his body of work here and in prior stints are better than Charlie or Steve’s 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

He left just before the bowl game and his quarterbacks coach was the interim coach. Of course you don't credit him for that win and then simultaneously don't credit him for the win at USC with someone else's recruits. Then you credit Tom Herman, who pretty much exclusively won with someone else's recruits at both places he's been. Typical you. Meanwhile, your boy Tom Herman has been looking for a coaching job for the last 2 years with no success while the guy you've been hating on has stayed employed despite your assertion that he is a bad coach. 

If Steve Sarkisian turns the corner you will quietly slink into your corner and pretend that you didn't start this thread, angry little man style, 6 games into a head coach's tenure. Then you will lie in wait for him to slip up so you can pop out of your mole hole with a see I told you so. Of course you constantly use the "we all hope he succeeds" bs as a disclaimer, but if you really were hoping for success you wouldn't have made this thread 6 games into his time here in the first place. UGH

UT fans are some entitled bastards, thinking somehow we are exempt from paying our dues and putting in the work. I was pissed when Herbie blasted our fanbase on national TV, a guy I played basketball with at the Dublin Rec Center. However, the farther removed we are from that, the more I realized he was dead on. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

He left just before the bowl game and his quarterbacks coach was the interim coach. Of course you don't credit him for that win and then simultaneously don't credit him for the win at USC with someone else's recruits. Then you credit Tom Herman, who pretty much exclusively won with someone else's recruits at both places he's been. Typical you. Meanwhile, your boy Tom Herman has been looking for a coaching job for the last 2 years with no success while the guy you've been hating on has stayed employed despite your assertion that he is a bad coach. 

If Steve Sarkisian turns the corner you will quietly slink into your corner and pretend that you didn't start this thread, angry little man style, 6 games into a head coach's tenure. Then you will lie in wait for him to slip up so you can pop out of your mole hole with a see I told you so. Of course you constantly use the "we all hope he succeeds" bs as a disclaimer, but if you really were hoping for success you wouldn't have made this thread 6 games into his time here in the first place. UGH

UT fans are some entitled bastards, thinking somehow we are exempt from paying our dues and putting in the work. I was pissed when Herbie blasted our fanbase on national TV, a guy I played basketball with at the Dublin Rec Center. However, the farther removed we are from that, the more I realized he was dead on. 

Except that’s all bullshit. I’ve been here when we won games giving him his proper due. I’ll gladly admit I’m wrong, if it happens.

and you know who else doesn’t give Sark credit for that UW bowl win? Any governing body, any organization who compiles stats, UW, USC, UT, and the media.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/steve-sarkisian-1.html

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/steve-sarkisian/2944

“His eight victories in 2013 were the most at UW since 2000 and the Huskies finished ranked No. 25 in the Associated Press poll.”

PS: Tom Herman is less “my boy” than Steve Sarkisian is “the Big 12’s bitch”. Herman absolutely deserved his firing. Sarkisian is steaming down that same channel at 2x the rate Herman was.

Edited by lilMAC25

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

You sound like the kind of guy that likes getting stepped on and as long it is not heels to the face you call it progress. We know what good looks like and it is not 10-10 almost 2 years into a tenure. Lets hope the light goes off before we have to shop for coach #4.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2