Texas BBQ

Washpark

Couldn’t help myself on my day off. The only spot on the new 25 in the Houston area that I haven’t been too. Owner/pitmaster was cutting. We talked about how people who say cheese doesn’t belong in sausage are joyless and wrong. He then gave me a link of the house beef sausage for free. Price for brisket is high at $18 a half pound. Links are $8 a piece and larger than say the ones from Tejas and Truth. Brisket was very good, or what I think we all consider what the standard should be. The sausage was good with nice snap. Maybe the tiniest bit salty. However, taking a tip from Evan Leroy, sausage pairs well with a mustard base sauce, which they had.

27e2d1f6ff1fa1acb6f274d91e5ef92a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Couldn’t help myself on my day off. The only spot on the new 25 in the Houston area that I haven’t been too. Owner/pitmaster was cutting. We talked about how people who say cheese doesn’t belong in sausage are joyless and wrong. He then gave me a link of the house beef sausage for free. Price for brisket is high at $18 a half pound. Links are $8 a piece and larger than say the ones from Tejas and Truth. Brisket was very good, or what I think we all consider what the standard should be. The sausage was good with nice snap. Maybe the tiniest bit salty. However, taking a tip from Evan Leroy, sausage pairs well with a mustard base sauce, which they had.

27e2d1f6ff1fa1acb6f274d91e5ef92a.jpg

Which place?
  • Haha 1

so a friend of mine had been bugging me about doing a bbq trail tour, I finally bit. In her mind she thought we should hit every place in lockhart, i quickly shot it down. here's the plan

burnt bean

city market (i want to take home sausage)

barb's in lockhart

valentina's

frankllin's

mueller in taylor 

maybe Kruez's 

thoughts, any place we're skipping over ?

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

so a friend of mine had been bugging me about doing a bbq trail tour, I finally bit. In her mind she thought we should hit every place in lockhart, i quickly shot it down. here's the plan : 
burnt bean
barb's in lockhart
valentina's
frankllin's
mueller in taylor 
maybe Kruez's 

Reese Bros
Leroy and Lewis
Moreno
Brett’s in Rockdale (I think it’s open again per this thread)
Doesn’t sound like you are going to the coastal bend, but Butter’s is great.

have you been to triple j ?
i keep hearing very good things 

https://triplejsmokehouse.com/

I pass it weekly. I haven’t heard anything good about it. Looking at photos on their google reviews, doesn’t look like anything I want to spend money on.

0d19a1efeaca6104a2d4403e1e8056f5.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Triple Js is ass

also, back in 2013, myself and two friends drove from houston and hit up schulenburg sausage co, prause meat market, gordos bbq, its all good bbq, opies, strangeland brewing, jester king, lone star bbq, terry blacks, rollin smoke, and one other one I cant remember… then drove back to houston that night.

we had so many leftovers, we ate well for over a week. 

26 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

so a friend of mine had been bugging me about doing a bbq trail tour, I finally bit. In her mind she thought we should hit every place in lockhart, i quickly shot it down. here's the plan

burnt bean

barb's in lockhart

valentina's

frankllin's

mueller in taylor 

maybe Kruez's 

No chance you hit all of those joints in one day.  Franklin still has a several hour wait and Louis Mueller is slow as molasses (which means at least an hour).  Valentina's can be a long wait as well.  There are also hours of driving in between all of these spots.  If you are still planning on a Sunday (which is the brunch day at Burnt Bean), then scratch both Barbs, Mueller, and City Market off.

With that being said.  You could hit Burnt Bean for brunch and Valentina's for a Real Deal Holyfield breakfast taco.  Chose a place to wait in line for in Austin - LeRoy & Lewis.  Then head to Lockhart and hit a couple places.  Grabbing sausage and crackers at Smitty's before heading back home.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Last Supper

A bit late, but If the pictures go anywhere, it's on this thread.  Was able to get a pickup order the last week that the Swinging Door(Richmond, TX) was operating.  Put some of it up and served it out on Father's Day which I celebrated with my Mom(Swinging Door was her favorite and she called me crying when she heard it was closing).  I lived about a mile away from 1yo to 10 yo and whenever the wind would turn out of the east, the smell of the smoke was a core memory.  It had been surpassed in terms of quality and craftsmanship, but I had many, many meals there from in-utero, to catering my Mom's 40th a few decades ago, my parent's 45th Wedding anniversary.  Sad to see it go(apparently eminent domain on 359 expansion gave them a good excuse after 5 decades of smoking).

RIP Swinging Door 1973-2023

14864BF1-5A81-4843-960B-38764FAB9A67_1_105_c.jpeg

01F72989-A766-4DC0-A27D-46134AA84A1E_1_105_c.jpeg

CE7AB721-ABBB-4AB4-8124-615F23AD7438_1_105_c.jpeg

3FBAC162-4053-44FE-85C7-5381439CA11F_1_105_c.jpeg

4C928D38-D0EF-43D5-B6E2-5E5EFB99F4C8_1_105_c.jpeg

9BD324E4-3D8C-436C-B0E6-E5A68162940F_1_105_c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

correct, only stopping once. my plan is to eat brunch at burnt bean, then a bite or two at the rest 

Well you are doing Burnt Bean right. First time I went, we ordered brisket, ribs, sausage. Had a taste of someone's barbacoa and menudo. Holy shit. Only go back for brunch now and just get the barbacoa and menudo. I am sure the BBQ was really good, but don't care. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well you are doing Burnt Bean right. First time I went, we ordered brisket, ribs, sausage. Had a taste of someone's barbacoa and menudo. Holy shit. Only go back for brunch now and just get the barbacoa and menudo. I am sure the BBQ was really good, but don't care. 

Smoked chicken tortilla soup on a cold day.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

burnt bean

barb's in lockhart

valentina's

frankllin's

mueller in taylor 

maybe Kruez's 

I don't see how you can get half that list in one day. Doesn't City Market open at 8am? 

Back in 2009 - I had a group hit up; Snow's, Mueller, Kreuz, Smitty's, Black's, City Market, then finished off at The Salt Lick (they took reservations and for the atmosphere). 

3 minutes ago, dmtx said:

I don't see how you can get half that list in one day. Doesn't City Market open at 8am? 

Back in 2009 - I had a group hit up; Snow's, Mueller, Kreuz, Smitty's, Black's, City Market, then finished off at The Salt Lick (they took reservations and for the atmosphere). 

we’ll hit as many as possible. I can order world class brisket and ribs all day in Houston. I’ll be more focused on menu items unique to those spots 

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

I can get bbq at bill millers, but not menudo !

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

RIP Swinging Door, I am sorry for your loss...

...but...

is that sweet 'n' sour sauce all over the food in that bottom pic?

No...maybe the thing I'll miss the most.  They had this kind of peppery vinegary BBQ Sauce...great on the sausage.  If you've stopped at Woody's in Centerville...they may have used the same base...always tasted very similar to me.

Edited by skilesare
a letter

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

burnt bean

barb's in lockhart

valentina's

frankllin's

mueller in taylor 

maybe Kruez's 

And here I thought that one day I hit up... 

Dickies

Bill Miller's

Rudy's 

Smokey Mo's 

and finishing up at The County Line  could never be topped. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Burnt Bean. Brisket was elite, top 3 taste and quality. Ribs were good, pinketons is a step ahead. Corn pudding and barbacoa fried rice were both damn good. 

the line moves very slow. We got there around 10, 15 people in line. They should sell beer. They built an awesome space 

peach cobbler taco was very good 

IMG_6281.jpeg

IMG_6282.jpeg

IMG_6283.jpeg

IMG_6284.jpeg

IMG_6285.jpeg

IMG_6286.jpeg

IMG_6287.jpeg

IMG_6288.jpeg

IMG_6289.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Burnt Bean. Brisket was elite, top 3 taste and quality. Ribs were good, pinketons is a step ahead. Corn pudding and barbacoa fried rice were both damn good. 

the line moves very slow. We got there around 10, 15 people in line. They should sell beer. They built an awesome space 

peach cobbler taco was very good 

IMG_6281.jpeg

IMG_6282.jpeg

IMG_6283.jpeg

IMG_6284.jpeg

IMG_6285.jpeg

IMG_6286.jpeg

IMG_6287.jpeg

IMG_6288.jpeg

IMG_6289.jpeg

Shut up, just shut up.  You had me at peach cobbler taco... You had me at peach cobbler taco. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Barbacoa dirty rice sounds badass, and I usually give no fucks about sides.

I could have ate a gallon of it. The corn pudding was very tasty too. The owner / cutter walked around, talked with every table and asked how your meal was. He talked about not just wanting excellent bbq, we wants his sides and desserts too stand out too. Very cool 

they built a very nice space, very roomy and kick ass ac. It’s a top tier bbq spot for sure. I’ll be back. When we left, the line was easily 100 deep. 

Barbs BBQ - the place is small and hot, complete opposite of burnt bean. Very very friendly staff, so damn nice. 

brisket - not in the same league as burnt bean, not even close. 

they gave out free sausage, new recipe. Some type of fajita sausage. It was dry and not good.

beef rib - very good, hard to fuck up 

now let’s get to the ……

bam yes GIF

they had home made corn tortillas from a local place and home made salsa verde. I asked for some Mexican cheese on the side. Beef rib + that corn tortilla + salsa verse + sone Mexican cheese …..

god damn GIF

same reaction with brisket in that taco. Pure bliss

green spaghetti - get it, it’s fucking good but you better like cilantro. Creamy and delicious 

the lamb chops looked great, did not order. Same for Pork ribs 

IMG_6290.jpeg

IMG_6291.jpeg

IMG_6293.jpeg

IMG_6294.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Picked up three links to go from city market, the OG. It’s amazing how far Texas bbq has come. City Market, Kreuz’s, Smittys were as good as it got. Now they’re very mid tier 

Yep.  Competition and information is good thing.  

• Hook 'Em 1