NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

i remember when KD joined the Warriors, it was so strange how there was this chorus of people (especially in shaggy) saying, "oh KD is a trash talker now? he's just copying Draymond, what a poser." i was just like, "uh, did anybody here watch him play at Texas?" because he's *always* been one of the most talkative and emotional guys on the court. i had friends who would play pick up with KD at the HT gym when he was a lot Texas and he was ruthless there. he's ruthless on any court where he plays basketball. he's just one of those guys who's quiet off the court, but who turns into a whole nother beast personality-wise when he's playing. the guy grew up hooping in DC, he's been talking shit to people his entire life.

• Hook 'Em 1

Golden State is nice but I have major concerns about them in the playoffs. This game sort of reinforces that. Curry has 5 points with time dwindling in the 3rd quarter. He's a generational talent but at this point he's the 3rd best player in the league at best and that's sort of a concern when you're trying to win a title. 

Maybe GS can put it all together as a team to overcome that but history is against them. Granted injuries happen and the playoff landscape may be totally transformed by the time we get to the later rounds. 

15 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Warriors are #1 or close to 1 in most team stats.  Good mix of youth and vets and a great coach. Who else is a legit title contender?

Team stats mean nothing right now. Unless you're trying to figure out whether your team is a 1st round exit or a potential conference finals darkhorse. 

It's early and injuries happen so I'm hesitant to call anything at this point - but assuming everyone remains fairly healthy then I think the title will be decided in the ECF. I think that Giannis and KD are so far above the rest of the league that it's silly and I think that both of them have great supporting casts to make me pretty confident in them in the Finals. 

The Ws could sure as shit make it interesting, though. As of now I'd probably go 40%/30%/20%/10% Nets/Bucks/W's/wildcard. 

Let's keep in mind Kyrie is lurking and may "vax up" and reenter the fray. If the Nets have their big 3 healthy playing every game throughout the playoffs the league is beyond cooked. But that is very far from a guarantee.

Edited by ztejas
My math sucks I have retard

I'm going to reserve judgment on the Warriors until Klay gets back. If he's anywhere close to his pre-injuries self, I'm penciling them in for the finals and as favorites for the championship. I don't think the Nets can beat that team without Kyrie. I still don't trust Milwaukee and they are going to have a more difficult playoff road this year, almost assuredly. 

I just hope we get a healthy playoffs. There's always injuries, but last season was really rough with the number of superstars who went out.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm going to reserve judgment on the Warriors until Klay gets back. If he's anywhere close to his pre-injuries self, I'm penciling them in for the finals and as favorites for the championship. I don't think the Nets can beat that team without Kyrie. I still don't trust Milwaukee and they are going to have a more difficult playoff road this year, almost assuredly. 

I just hope we get a healthy playoffs. There's always injuries, but last season was really rough with the number of superstars who went out.

Wasn't thinking about Klay coming back. Good point. 

Healthy Nets with Kyrie, the Harden of the last few games, and the improbably resurrected LMA have to be the favorites against anybody. Their bench is largely trash. I like Nash a lot but not sure he gives them a coaching edge at this point.

After that the Ws are the clear number two suspect. Draymond and Steph having throwback years, excellent buy-in from young guys and bench players, and two potential force-multipliers in Klay and Wiseman still waiting to debut all adds up to a championship-caliber squad. I just don't see anyone overcoming the potential offensive firepower the Nets could bring to bear when healthy and whole. Would be a fun series though.

The Suns are a threat. The Bucks are a threat. The Bulls and the Heat could be dark horse candidates, maybe throw in the Jazz. The Nuggets are basically a one man show, and their record is impressive given that, but no way that's sustainable through the playoffs.

31 minutes ago, Llogg said:

After that the Ws are the clear number two suspect. Draymond and Steph having throwback years,

I think the Warriors' biggest selling point is that they have the record that they do, and Steph hasn't shot the ball all that well, at least to his standards. He's shooting 43% from the field and just under 40% from 3. He's only shot under 47% twice in his career (and not since 2012), and he's never been under 41% from 3. He's still moving well and the catalyst for the offense, but he's had a bunch of inefficient nights, including a few absolute clunkers. Law of averages would suggest that he's going to bump those numbers up, especially with Klay hopefully pulling some of the attention away from him.

Also, defense still matters, and they have the best one in the league.

But I agree, the Nets with an on-form Harden and road game Kyrie would be heavy favorites.

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Golden State is nice but I have major concerns about them in the playoffs. This game sort of reinforces that. Curry has 5 points with time dwindling in the 3rd quarter. He's a generational talent but at this point he's the 3rd best player in the league at best and that's sort of a concern when you're trying to win a title. 

Maybe GS can put it all together as a team to overcome that but history is against them. Granted injuries happen and the playoff landscape may be totally transformed by the time we get to the later rounds. 

Having the "3rd best player in the league is a concern"? Ok I'm not sure about that or what you have been watching, but the Warriors are dominating teams and are not even at full strength.  Last night they almost overcame an unbelievably bad shooting night by the team and Curry to comeback against the Nuggets without Draymond. The Warriors have some really good young players and  not only have a great offense, but are no. 1 in the NBA in team defense. We are far enough into the season to have a good sample size to see that they are the team to beat in the West, especially with Klay coming back at some point this season .

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sexton injury suddenly got a lot bigger. 

This is a pretty big blow for CLE. Rubio had been great and I'm not sure how they fill those PG mins now. Maybe grab a vet FA.

Kyrie traded to the Cavs.  Hilarity ensues.

But seriously, the Rubio news really sucks because the Cavs have NOTHING behind Garland.  As long as there was a competent PG backing up Garland, the Sexton injury wasn't a big deal - in fact, the Cavs (and especially Garland) really took off when Sexton was sidelined.  (And thanks Coach Bickerstaff you dick for running Rubio into the ground last night in a meaningless December game in NOLA).

But now?  Guh.  The only PG on the roster besides Garland (who is currently in the Covid protocol) is Kevin Pangos and he does nothing, literally nothing, well at all.  He makes Sebastian Telfair look like Chris Paul.  The fact he has a roster spot has to be as a favor to an agent.  

12 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Kyrie traded to the Cavs.  Hilarity ensues.

But seriously, the Rubio news really sucks because the Cavs have NOTHING behind Garland.  As long as there was a competent PG backing up Garland, the Sexton injury wasn't a big deal - in fact, the Cavs (and especially Garland) really took off when Sexton was sidelined.  (And thanks Coach Bickerstaff you dick for running Rubio into the ground last night in a meaningless December game in NOLA).

But now?  Guh.  The only PG on the roster besides Garland (who is currently in the Covid protocol) is Kevin Pangos and he does nothing, literally nothing, well at all.  He makes Sebastian Telfair look like Chris Paul.  The fact he has a roster spot has to be as a favor to an agent.  

Yeah. Like I said guessing you find a vet ball handler or maybe even trade for someone (but there's really no rush to contend with this roster - may just take your lumps and reload for next year).

I believe Rubio's contract is expiring, so he may get moved for a salary dump with some picks. Kevin Love would be good to trade if you can find someone willing to take him for anything positive.

I like the Cavs team, but it needs a superstar to contend. Don't know how or where they can get one, but the more picks the better.

54 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. Like I said guessing you find a vet ball handler or maybe even trade for someone (but there's really no rush to contend with this roster - may just take your lumps and reload for next year).

I should probably punch myself in the balls for even thinking this, but given that there is such a dearth of available talent at the PG position, someone who wouldn't cost anything and may be playable for 15-20 minutes a night if he's not asked to do anything except bring the ball up the court is Jeff Teague.  

If Houston would give up DJ Augustin in exchange for getting their 2nd round pick back, I'd probably do that deal as well (would be my first choice actually).  And I don't know what's going on with Goran Dragic in Toronto so gotta do the due diligence there.  But whatever they do they cannot run Garland into the ground and risk major injury.

11 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Kevin Love would be good to trade if you can find someone willing to take him for anything positive.

Of all the pleasant surprises on the Cavs team this season, Love (graying hair and creaky knees and all) might be the most pleasantest.  He looks completely re-energized and is thriving coming off the bench and would probably be 6th man of the year if not for Tyler Herro.  He's even said that this is the most fun he's had in many years and you can tell by the way he is celebrating with the young'uns on the sideline.  His advanced stats are insane considering where he's been the last couple years, pouting and being a generally negative influence in games and in the locker room.  And he's even not a disaster on defense. 

Kevin Love Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

I would almost hate to move him considering he's carved out a very nice role going against other teams' second units.

18 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I like the Cavs team, but it needs a superstar to contend. Don't know how or where they can get one, but the more picks the better.

Disagree.  I think Garland (age 21)-Mobley (age 20)-Allen (age 23) is a good enough and young enough core that now it's a matter of putting the right complimentary pieces around them - I don't think they need to make a big splash trade.  They've shown me enough playing as well as they have vs the league's toughest schedule so far.

And I believe that Mobley is a superstar and will be a fixture on All-NBA teams in the very near future.

32 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

They could use a superstar, but where would they find a big name player with Ohio roots who is currently upset with an underperforming team? I'm out of ideas. :)

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I believe Rubio's contract is expiring, so he may get moved for a salary dump with some picks. Kevin Love would be good to trade if you can find someone willing to take him for anything positive.

mobley is going to be a superstar.

Watching the end of this Lakers/Grizzlies game. Announcer just said that no Grizzly has ever had two 40 point games in the same season.

That's insane. 

AND they just said that Morant now has more 40 point games (3) than anyone in franchise history. Bizarre. 

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Yeah they're fucked and for the foreseeable future.. I wonder what LeBron will do? Could he jump ship to a contender? 

It's really his only chance if he wants another ring. They went all in for AD but he is made of glass and inconsistent. Does he go back to Cleveland? lol.

Listening to Simmons and a couple goofballs do a bad contracts draft (draft the worst contracts in the league by how bad they are. Bertans/Wall/MPJ were top 3).

Talen Horton Tucker is shooting 23.4% from 3 and being paid $10M a year for this year and the next two.

What. The. Fuck.