NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:
9 minutes ago, Message Board User said:
Well...

Yeah, I'm thinking a 3way deal where Westbrook and some 1sts goes to a shitty team like the Pacers, and LeVert/Turner go to 76ers, Simmons to LAL. Maybe it could happen, but Philly would need to lower expectations a bit.

I don't think the Lakers have any more firsts to trade after giving all of them to NOLA for Davis.

14 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I don't think the Lakers have any more firsts to trade after giving all of them to NOLA for Davis.

Correct.  Next one they own outright is 2025.  Cans own next year and then swap rights the next 2.  The Lakers don't have much to trade.  I guess if someone was really interested in Horton-Tucker, but that's not gonna do much.  Really, they'd have to eat another horrific contract, just one who'd they hope would fit better.  Maybe an expiring on a shitty contract plus a role player or two (pretty much addition by subtraction), but again, how are they gonna sweeten the deal?  Who would want Westbrook at this stage?  We're sort of running out of excuses and teams.  A hilarious idea would be Westbrook being traded for John Wall..... again.  lol.  But I don't know what the Lakers have.  Maybe that first in 2025 to get Houston to want to deal.  Another idea at play is what if Westbrook declines his PO next year?  I think it's against NBA rules for him to promise he would decline the option so it would have to be a wink, wink deal.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

12 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Another idea at play is what if Westbrook declines his PO next year?

Why on Earth would he do this? To help them trade him? 

Lakers made their bed and they are lying in it. Declining 33* year olds don't turn down 47M player options for non-contending teams. 

Now - I could maybe see him buying into the Lakers and giving them a discount if they come close this year and he thinks they can make a run next year. Not sure how much that even helps LA. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Why on Earth would he do this? To help them trade him? 

Lakers made their bed and they are lying in it. Declining 33* year olds don't turn down 47M player options for non-contending teams. 

Now - I could maybe see him buying into the Lakers and giving them a discount if they come close this year and he thinks they can make a run next year. Not sure how much that even helps LA. 

Correct, especially if it's a place he doesn't want to be and wants to ring hunt, however, I think the NBAPA would have a serious issue with him doing so and don't see it as a very realistic option.  But if he told, say...... Orlando, he would decline and the Magic send some shit the Lakers Gary Harris, Terrence Ross and Robin Lopez or Michael Carter Williams.  Magic get Westbrook and get to reset their books somewhat next year, maybe they get a future #1 and 2nd rounder for their trouble.  Again, I don't see it being very viable but it's an idea.  Maybe Westbrook would let the Magic buy him out of the option for 10m or so.  Just trying to think outside the box.

More likely circumstance is they're stuck with him but motivated parties can be creative.  If Philly did Simmons for Westbrook, I think they should be sued for management malpractice.

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Correct, especially if it's a place he doesn't want to be and wants to ring hunt, however, I think the NBAPA would have a serious issue with him doing so and don't see it as a very realistic option.  But if he told, say...... Orlando, he would decline and the Magic send some shit the Lakers Gary Harris, Terrence Ross and Robin Lopez or Michael Carter Williams.  Magic get Westbrook and get to reset their books somewhat next year, maybe they get a future #1 and 2nd rounder for their trouble.  Again, I don't see it being very viable but it's an idea.  Maybe Westbrook would let the Magic buy him out of the option for 10m or so.  Just trying to think outside the box.

More likely circumstance is they're stuck with him but motivated parties can be creative.  If Philly did Simmons for Westbrook, I think they should be sued for management malpractice.

I just don't see Westbrook helping them find him a landing spot. He is playing where he wants. LA has zero leverage and they should have known that going in. Even if someone could get him to back off his PO they'd probably have to give him like 80-100 over a few years in lieu of that and that doesn't seem that much more appealing. 

Only thing that makes sense is maybe a straight up swap for Simmons. But the salary doesn't even match. 

LA is almost assuredly stuck with him.

Edited by ztejas

I just don't see Westbrook helping them find him a landing spot. He is playing where he wants. LA has zero leverage and they should have known that going in. Even if someone could get him to back off his PO they'd probably have to give him like 80-100 over a few years in lieu of that and that doesn't seem that much more appealing. 
Only thing that makes sense is maybe a straight up swap for Simmons. But the salary doesn't even match. 
LA is almost assuredly stuck with him.
But what if it lets Westbrook go to the Nets and reunites with his bros and makes a run at a ring? Brooklyn could find a spot for him.

Send Westbrook and some future 2nd picks to Houston for Wall (or any team willing to deal). Houston buys him out for say 45m, and he gets to go off and play wherever he wants for 2 years. He has to be smart enough to recognize the Lakers aren't winning anything whether he is there or not, time to abandon the ship while you can.

Nutty win for Brooklyn in OT over Toronto. 8 players available - 4 of them rookies and Blake Griffin fouled out in OT. Patty Thrills with a 30 spot and KD with 34/13/11 - didn't rest the entire 2nd half an OT. Nets were up 10 at half then down 9 to start the 4th. 

44 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Who the fuck is Austin Reaves?

Someone who should be playing every night. The Purple and Gold need all the shooters we can get that will also try and play defense. I was walking back home during the game and a friend and fellow Laker fan back in Dallas was telling me that “Your cousin just hit the game winner!” Nice to have someone under age 40 doing something positive on the court when he gets his chance.

15 hours ago, Message Board User said:

"Cavalanche" - love that term.  and this team.

Some good highlights from that game:

https://streamable.com/lpsf84

uhdtfzcwlt581.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Allen saying GTFO
https://streamable.com/ifdns2

The Cavs Are Finally Winning Without LeBron

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-cavs-are-finally-winning-without-lebron/?ex_cid=538email

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Some good highlights from that game:

https://streamable.com/lpsf84

uhdtfzcwlt581.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Allen saying GTFO
https://streamable.com/ifdns2

The Cavs Are Finally Winning Without LeBron

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-cavs-are-finally-winning-without-lebron/?ex_cid=538email

Earlier this week Zach Lowe said that the Cavs were actually a 20 win team masquerading as a 16 win team, given the injuries (Cavs were 0-4 without Mobley last month) and the fact they’ve played the toughest schedule.

Well guess which team has the easiest schedule the rest of the way?

https://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength

Hear me now and believe me later but this Cavs team will end up between 55-60 wins and JBB will win coach of the year.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

PREACH

He's been amazing individually. Unfortunately it's largely a team success award and Zach knows that. I mean... they got smacked at home by the Twolves last night. Yeah you can say he's dragging a bunch of garbage to that record but KD hasn't had much more help (I mean he's gotten like 4 good Harden games) and he has the Nets 2 games up on everyone in the East. Voters run with stuff like that. If Jokic can get them to like the 3rd or 4th seed I think he will start to get more attention. 

Giannis has been phenomenal, again. All four of them have a good case. 

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's been amazing individually. Unfortunately it's largely a team success award and Zach knows that. I mean... they got smacked at home by the Twolves last night. Yeah you can say he's dragging a bunch of garbage to that record but KD hasn't had much more help (I mean he's gotten like 4 good Harden games) and he has the Nets 2 games up on everyone in the East. Voters run with stuff like that. If Jokic can get them to like the 3rd or 4th seed I think he will start to get more attention. 

Giannis has been phenomenal, again. All four of them have a good case. 

and yet Russ won an MVP for his triple double season. so stupid.

36 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

and yet Russ won an MVP for his triple double season. so stupid.

Yeah. That's the outlier. But he needed a ton of help. Harden won 55 games with the Rockets (and probably should have been MVP), LeBron only won 51 games that year, Steph and KD were on the same team basically eliminating them, Kawhi put up fairly unassuming numbers. 

Jokic isn't getting much help this year so far. Lot of season left though. 

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

PREACH

He's fucking right.  30 point swing when he's on/off the floor is fucking ridiculous and maybe not seen since big men like KAJ or Wilt were in their prime (Wilt never came off the floor).  It's just disgusting but everyone on the Nuggets has died so basically he's taking the worst surrounding team in the league and carrying them to the playoffs.  We talk about great players having to do this to prove themselves, but the disparity is so big, it's so worthwhile to look at. IMO, it's definitely more than a 2 man decision but narratives have always been part of the MVP discussion and ultimately vote.  If it was simply on stats (advanced or otherwise), KD would be more like 3/4th and Steph wouldn't even be in the top 5.  Look at the seasons Freak and..... Jimmy Butler (who?) are having.  Wow.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1