Lebron
Zubac
Kuzma
Curruso
THT
Hart
Howard
Morris

That team would be better than what they have now.

Nah. They still need AD and he's still been easily their best player this season. That team would be just as below .500 as this one is. LeBron has only played 10 games and has been pretty meh when he has played. 

But yes they have let a lot of guys walk that they shouldn't have and signed a lot of guys that they shouldn't have. 

When we last checked in on the Lakers they were in the midst of a classic, late November triple-overtime battle against a white-hot 7-12 Kings team missing 3 starters and a head coach. While they were unable to pull it out that night - they have come out an opened up a commanding 3 point lead at half against the always formidable and wily 4-15 Detroit Pistons - despite a scorching 2/8 start from the field (coupled with just 3 turnovers) for budding superstar Cade Cunningham. 

LeBron, Anthony Davis and Westbrook are just not themselves tonight - efficiently putting up 42 of the Lakers 51 points on 16/25 shooting. 

However - grizzled veteran Carmelo Anthony and dynamic non-defending, non-scoring guard Talen Horton Tucker are picking up the slack with a combined 0/10 shooting performance.

Should be a great 2nd half. The Lakers may need to display some 7th seed play-in type mettle to edge a Pistons team that may or may not actually be all that concerned with winning basketball games.

UPDATE

Brilliant win by the Lakers. An absolutely timeless, phenomenal 14 minutes of basketball put them up 92-75 3 minutes into the 4th quarter. It took every ounce of strength they had to withstand the torrential onslaught that followed - eventually scraping out a 4 point, 110-106 win. 

Talen Horton Tucker ignited in the second half like a match dropped into a pool of gasoline - finishing with 12 points on 4/10 shooting and just 5 personal fouls. 

Carmelo Anthony - despite going 0/7 from the field with 0 points - finished with 4 crucial rebounds and 2 indispensable assists. On Melo's performance, LeBron had this to say: "It isn't always how he scores the basketball - but the things he doesn't do on defense and the distractions he provides off the court that are going to go a long way for us come April."

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

When we last checked in on the Lakers they were in the midst of a classic, late November triple-overtime battle against a white-hot 7-12 Kings team missing 3 starters and a head coach. While they were unable to pull it out that night - they have come out an opened up a commanding 3 point lead at half against the always formidable and wily 4-15 Detroit Pistons - despite a scorching 2/8 start from the field (coupled with just 3 turnovers) for budding superstar Cade Cunningham. 
LeBron, Anthony Davis and Westbrook are just not themselves tonight - efficiently putting up 42 of the Lakers 51 points on 16/25 shooting. 
However - grizzled veteran Carmelo Anthony and dynamic non-defending, non-scoring guard Talen Horton Tucker are picking up the slack with a combined 0/10 shooting performance.
Should be a great 2nd half. The Lakers may need to display some 7th seed play-in type mettle to edge a Pistons team that may or may not actually be all that concerned with winning basketball games.
UPDATE
Brilliant win by the Lakers. An absolutely timeless, phenomenal 14 minutes of basketball put them up 92-75 3 minutes into the 4th quarter. It took every ounce of strength they had to withstand the torrential onslaught that followed - eventually scraping out a 4 point, 110-106 win. 
Talen Horton Tucker ignited in the second half like a match dropped into a pool of gasoline - finishing with 12 points on 4/10 shooting and just 5 personal fouls. 
Carmelo Anthony - despite going 0/7 from the field with 0 points - finished with 4 crucial rebounds and 2 indispensable assists. On Melo's performance, LeBron had this to say: "It isn't always how he scores the basketball - but the things he doesn't do on defense and the distractions he provides off the court that are going to go a long way for us come April."

And how did nba top 75 snubbed 8th man Dwight Howard do?

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

And how did nba top 75 snubbed 8th man Dwight Howard do?

DNP-CD - but his general indifference and lack of focus were huge on the bench and the way he ate Starbursts in the locker room at halftime was inspirational.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aggie08 said:

'Member when Sbbruin said that we weren't worth talking basketball with if we weren't willing to acknowledge that a healthy AD is a top 5 player? I 'member.

And at this point, I'm tired of even hearing that he has "top 5 potential"    He is very good.  Not great.

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Porter has been injured since he was a teenager.  That contract was moronic.

100% and it hasnt even started yet!!!!   They should have at the very least tried to get language in it to cover themselves.

JoVal with 29 in the first half on 7/7 from behind the arc for the Pels. Casual.

https://streamable.com/92e1tl

53 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Not sure if there's room in the Eastern conference but he & Garland have been playing like All Stars.

Allen has a pretty good case with Capela, Myles Turner and Vucevic for the 2nd spot assuming Embiid gets the first spot. Not sure how it would shake out between them. Center is tough because only 2 true centers get in. Garland wouldn't be although he's been great. Harden, Beal, LaVine, LaMelo, Trae, VanVleet, Herro seems pretty firm but he's in the next tier with guys like Maxey, Cole Anthony, Jrue, Khris. So he could maybe get in as an alternate/replacement. Also don't know if DeRozan and Jaylen Brown are guards or forwards?

Either way best thing the Cavs can for their chances is get back in the playoff mix.

Edited by ztejas

In case anyone besides [mention=37]MNLonghornFUKM[/mention] isn't paying attention - the Wolves don't suck and are a half a game out of 4th place in the West. 
He still has off nights but Ant is becoming a bit of a problem. 

Team defense is much improved. Wolves teams of the past would lose some of these games like tonights, fun team to watch.

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Team defense is much improved. Wolves teams of the past would lose some of these games like tonights, fun team to watch.

Which is the most impressive and maybe overlooked part of ant's game for me. Him scoring 22ish per game on meh efficiency is fairly par for the course for a high draft pick in his 2nd year. But 6.7 boards and 2.3 steals + blocks per game is really, really nice for any shooting guard. He isn't allergic to affecting the game in other ways and those players tend to not only get better but turn into solid pieces. For comparison - Wiggins career highs are 5.1 and 1.9 respectively there. 

See here:

20211130_131520.thumb.jpg.b9d205c11fe9eb604032a8ed81056d68.jpg

And Ant is 6'4". Going down the list you've got 6'6", 6'9", 6'11", 6'6" there.

Edited by ztejas

Suns win their 17th straight (franchise record) and knot the Ws for best record in the league.

Bridges made Curry miserable all night. CP was special - 15/11/6 with 5 steals. 

2 hours ago, WJC88 said:

The Suns throwing the ball into the post so Ayton can go to work. I thought that was outlawed in today's NBA? 

Ayton frustrates me. He's a great piece but he should be better. 30/15 was out there tonight easily for him. 

And the Lakers.... put someone away without any drama? 

(Don't shoot me but I think they're better without LeBron right now)

Edited by ztejas

Mavs bench has been better than the starters outside of Luka/KP so I'm not surprised. And Luka started the season out of shape again. 

Not really a Lebron fan but I think he handled the fame since the age of 16 better than 99% people would have and became a top 2 player of all-time. The worst thing you can say about him is many of his Twitter hot takes are terrible. 

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

James can get full credit for the Cavs title from me. Kyrie is a great scorer but he wasn't going to do shit on that team without LBJ. The Ray Allen smack? C'mon, man.

I definitely asterisk the bubble and strike season rings though.

As a Spurs fan I'm not allowed to criticize lockout rings. And I don't think anyone was taking the Heat down in 2012 anyway. 

The bubble one was kind of bullshit but better than not awarding a title I guess. It was fair in that every team was under the same circumstances but it was hugely advantageous for the Lakers. And they ducked basically every great player in the league (Kawhi, KD, Curry and Giannis) besides Jokic who was a year away and without a great supporting cast. I don't asterisk it but it's a weaker title in my book (and looks worse after last year's flameout and whatever this year is so far). 2016 was a very strong title. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

I definitely asterisk the...strike season rings though.

Why? They only missed like a dozen games and beat KD, Russ, and Harden in the Finals. 

It wasn't like 1999 when everyone thought the season wasn't going to happen and showed up fat.