Hasta La Vista, Asshole. Columbian Druglord captured.

Parliament

Colombia's most-wanted drug lord has been captured by authorities in what has been heralded as the biggest blow to the country's narcotics traffickers in decades.

Colombia's President Iván Duque Márquez confirmed the capture of Dairo Antonio Usuga, known as "Otoniel," in a televised national address Saturday.
"This coup is only comparable to the fall of Pablo Escobar in the 90s," Duque said, referring to the Colombian drug lord who died in 1993 after building a multibillion-dollar empire dealing cocaine.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/24/americas/colombia-drug-lord-otoniel-intl-hnk/index.html

Thank goodness, we caught the one guy who knew how to get narcotics into the United States.  

I mean, sure drug exports increased exponentially after Escobar's capture...but this time WE MEAN BUSINESS!  

We've finally won the war on drugs!  Creating a massive "criminal justice" apparatus, spending billions of tax dollars, and destabilizing dozens of nations was TOTALLY worth it, because now we've defeated drugs, and nobody can get them anymore!

Wait....hold on......

this-just-in-breaking-news.gif

....you can still apparently get all the drugs you want, wherever you want.

DAMMIT, I really thought we'd gotten it done this time!

11 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Won't change shit. 

For the consumer, that’s for sure. But because of the violence these men use hold onto control, the entire power structure of multiple organizations has been rocked. There are a lot of members of his cartel and those on their payrolls who are about to kill each other and in the end that’s the prize the govs were working towards. 

23 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

It’s uncool to opine this, but you got to fight these fights. I read Hunting Leroux the other day and it really made me consider the bad things, like nation-state level bad things, are financed by the trade.  We won’t ever *win* the war, but cutting into their margins matters. 

Yeah that's where I'm at.  I'll never win the "war on weeds" in my garden.  But as soon as I stop fighting, the garden will fill up with weeds.  Sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

It’s uncool to opine this, but you got to fight these fights. I read Hunting Leroux the other day and it really made me consider the bad things, like nation-state level bad things, are financed by the trade.  We won’t ever *win* the war, but cutting into their margins matters. 

1559612419057-asdadsdscc.jpg?quality=60

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

38 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Yeah that's where I'm at.  I'll never win the "war on weeds" in my garden.  But as soon as I stop fighting, the garden will fill up with weeds.  Sucks.

Well, there's a difference between prosecuting cartel leaders and locking someone up for a few grams of pot. 

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

What if your "weeding" project cost you billions of dollars, destabilized your neighbors' homes, and caused a massive erosion in the basic freedoms the members of your household are entitled to (e.g. as a metaphor -- "don't ever go out in the back yard!  I used Agent Orange!")?  And then, you also looked at the prevalence of weeds and realized that the percentage of your yard covered by weeds was 5% BEFORE you started your massive eradication program, and then after 50 years of that program, the weed coverage percentage was.....still 5%.  Still a fan of this "fight?"  Because the metaphor is spot-on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Drug lords are like the mafia of old. The pretty much are the rulers. At first they seem helpful and nice…hey they paid for my back surgery and got me a nice wheelchair and paid for fireworks for the whole neighborhood and slowly they take the trust of their neighbors to the point where you’re happy they didn’t decapitate you on your front lawn in front of your family. The war on drugs is a joke. No question but for it to be blamed solely on the consumer and America is a joke too. If you let a bunch of foxes into the chicken house you can’t solely blame everyone else when you no longer have any eggs or chickens. Our neighbors to the south slowly allowed it to happen. 

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Wouldn’t it be cool if scientists could develop a drug that felt better than heroin but didn’t have any harmful side effects?  Cause to me that’s the only way we “win” the drug war.

From what I understand, heroin by itself is not particularly harmful…opiates are safely administered everyday.  

Obviously you risk killing yourself through overdose, and the crushing dependency of addiction means you  are chained to it forever until you go through a horrible junk-sick withdrawal…but it’s mostly the financial ruin of endlessly needing more, unknown strength/adulterants of street drugs, dealing with drug dealers, dealing with police, etc…but certain people want it that way  

Definitely not advocating heroin addiction, and unless it was added to MDMA I took two decades ago I’ve never been on horse.  But any drug with extensive euphoria is going to have some element of addiction that’s going to cripple a certain proportion of the population just through sheer inability to balance required responsibility vs wanting to be high all the time. 

Edited by Homercles

9 hours ago, Parliament said:

Actually you must suck at gardening. It’s a lot easier to get rid of weeds in a garden than drugs out of America. Cheaper too.

6 hours ago, Homercles said:

From what I understand, heroin by itself is not particularly harmful…opiates are safely administered everyday.  

Obviously you risk killing yourself through overdose, and the crushing dependency of addiction means you  are chained to it forever until you go through a horrible junk-sick withdrawal…but it’s mostly the financial ruin of endlessly needing more, unknown strength/adulterants of street drugs, dealing with drug dealers, dealing with police, etc…but certain people want it that way  

Definitely not advocating heroin addiction, and unless it was added to MDMA I took two decades ago I’ve never been on horse.  But any drug with extensive euphoria is going to have some element of addiction that’s going to cripple a certain proportion of the population just through sheer inability to balance required responsibility vs wanting to be high all the time. 

Yep. Clean heroin is - physically - way better for you than booze or coke or cigarettes. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yep. Clean heroin is - physically - way better for you than booze or coke or cigarettes. 

There’s a chapter in The Stand where King outlines all the ways the plague survivors kill themselves…exploding gun, locked in a freezer, electrocution setting up a generator, heart attack.  

The one that was always struck me as how I’d like to go out was the guy who was junk sick, acted on a rumor about where the latest package of good shit was, finds it in the toilet tank, busts the bag wide open on the bed and shoots right there in a pile of it…but it wasn’t cut for the street, was too pure, and went out like a light.  No great loss.  

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

What if your "weeding" project cost you billions of dollars, destabilized your neighbors' homes, and caused a massive erosion in the basic freedoms the members of your household are entitled to (e.g. as a metaphor -- "don't ever go out in the back yard!  I used Agent Orange!")?  And then, you also looked at the prevalence of weeds and realized that the percentage of your yard covered by weeds was 5% BEFORE you started your massive eradication program, and then after 50 years of that program, the weed coverage percentage was.....still 5%.  Still a fan of this "fight?"  Because the metaphor is spot-on.

Not to mention your neighbors start getting locked up for letting a few dandelions pop up in their lawn.

11 hours ago, Homercles said:

There’s a chapter in The Stand where King outlines all the ways the plague survivors kill themselves…exploding gun, locked in a freezer, electrocution setting up a generator, heart attack.  

The one that was always struck me as how I’d like to go out was the guy who was junk sick, acted on a rumor about where the latest package of good shit was, finds it in the toilet tank, busts the bag wide open on the bed and shoots right there in a pile of it…but it wasn’t cut for the street, was too pure, and went out like a light.  No great loss.  

Not me.  A parachute not opening.  That's a way to die.  Getting your head caught in the gears of a combine. Getting you nuts bit off by a laplander. That's how I want to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Not me.  A parachute not opening.  That's a way to die.  Getting your head caught in the gears of a combine. Getting you nuts bit off by a laplander. That's how I want to go.

Yeah I want to go out like grandpa, in his sleep…not screaming like the passengers in his car.