Raiders WR Henry Ruggs charged with DUI resulting in death after drunken crash kills someone

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Are you asking why it is legal to own a vehicle capable of reaching speeds of 180 miles per hour?

Nah not own. You could take it to a closed track. Just don't understand why a rocket ship needs to be street legal. There are no scenarios where you should be doing over 100 quite frankly.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nah not own. You could take it to a closed track. Just don't understand why a rocket ship needs to be street legal. There are no scenarios where you should be doing over 100 quite frankly.

According to the speed limits in Texas there are no scenarios that you should be doing over 85.  Off the top of my head as to why not is that 100+ mph traffic accidents are probably rare in the grand scheme of traffic accidents, and an engine governor law would be pretty far reaching to prevent them.  I have no idea if any other countries do that.

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

According to the speed limits in Texas there are no scenarios that you should be doing over 85.  Off the top of my head as to why not is that 100+ mph traffic accidents are probably rare in the grand scheme of traffic accidents, and an engine governor law would be pretty far reaching to prevent them.  I have no idea if any other countries do that.

Nah i get it, it's such a rare thing that it probably isn't worth considering. I was just more observing the strangeness of saying "don't ever do this under any circumstances.....but here, drive this rocket ship. But seriously. Don't even think about it." To me, the only reason to own such a car is to drive it fast.

Edited by Pam Cummings

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the necro bump, but this came up on a news feed.  This bit of news will certainly quell all the controversy relating to Ruggs' sentence.  [*eyeroll*]  After the link, I've C&P'ed the first three paragraphs of the article, which contain the key facts.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-las-vegas-raider-henry-191437380.html

Former Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Henry Ruggs III is working at the Nevada Governor’s Mansion in Carson City while serving his 3-to-10-year prison sentence, the 8 News Now Investigators have learned.

Ruggs, 25, was sentenced on Aug. 9, 2023, after pleading guilty to driving drunk at 156 mph and crashing into a car killing 23-year-old Tina Tintor and her dog. The crash happened in November 2021. Prosecutors had said Ruggs’ blood-alcohol level was 0.16, which is twice the legal limit.

Ruggs is serving his sentence at Stewart Conservation Camp in northern Nevada, a facility which houses minimum custody and community trusty inmates. Ruggs is classified as a “community trusty,” according to the Nevada Department of Corrections. In that job, community trustees work for government offices making $2.50 an hour.

Gov will probably pardon him and make Henry part of his brain trust. Ruggs sentence is a joke. I thought he should have been strapped into a Ford Pinto which was then attached to a Steam catapult from an aircraft carrier. Then hurtled into a tank of napalm. Kind of like that woman he murdered.

Chiefs would sign him in a heartbeat claiming he paid his debt to society.

Hard men demanding hard time for every crime. Veddy macho. Congrats.

American prisons are not some abstract notion you can invoke to make yourself feel tough or self-righteous. They're hellish and a national shame. We've become so accustomed to the idea of prison rape and unspeakable brutality, that the subject becomes fodder for jokes. We are party to felonies ourselves in accepting this cruel status quo.

The whole pose of toughness expressed by the vicarious thrill of sending people to be raped and brutalized in prison is similar to that that prompts the public to support military invasions. Nobody can stop our tanks, air forces, and special forces. It's a rush to watch them roll into battle. Then we're left with another expensive mess where we've killed tens of thousands of non-combatants and achieved no real objective.

I love the feel of my piss being carried back to me by the stiff breeze. There is no changing American blood lust and self-righteousness.

I expect to be called soft. I'm sure I'll be devastated to hear it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I love the feel of my piss being carried back to me by the stiff breeze. There is no changing American blood lust and self-righteousness.

I'll just tell you to take political shit somewhere else. Your opinion on the subject matters. On an appropriate board.

16 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I'll just tell you to take political shit somewhere else. Your opinion on the subject matters. On an appropriate board.

I don't see how the post is irrelevant to the topic as discussed. My position is not partisan. I'm not sure it's even political. I address the statements made in the thread.

I appreciate your comment and how you state it. I agree that politics should be kept contained.

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

American prisons are not some abstract notion you can invoke to make yourself feel tough or self-righteous. They're hellish and a national shame. We've become so accustomed to the idea of prison rape and unspeakable brutality, that the subject becomes fodder for jokes. We are party to felonies ourselves in accepting this cruel status quo.

The whole pose of toughness expressed by the vicarious thrill of sending people to be raped and brutalized in prison is similar to that that prompts the public to support military invasions. Nobody can stop our tanks, air forces, and special forces. It's a rush to watch them roll into battle. Then we're left with another expensive mess where we've killed tens of thousands of non-combatants and achieved no real objective.

So, what is your solution for accountability for pieces of shit like Ruggs? 

And I would be curious to know how far back in American military history we would have to go back to total up 20,000 or more non-combatant deaths. From your tone, I'm guessing it's probably just a few weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, what is your solution for accountability for pieces of shit like Ruggs? 

And I would be curious to know how far back in American military history we would have to go back to total up 20,000 or more non-combatant deaths. From your tone, I'm guessing it's probably just a few weeks.

There is no balance for a human life which you seem to think is lifelong incarceration. The guy is guilty. He's doing time. I think the justice system is up to this task. I suppose we could go with vigilantes. 

Certainly the Iraq Invasion to answer your other question. Enjoy inventing thoughts that you think are in my head.

• Hook 'Em 1

He murdered an innocent 23 year old woman due to drunkenly driving 156 mph. He got a slap on the wrist. I don’t feel all macho; our system is intended to deliver justice and unfortunately a poor prosecutor was played. His sentence delivers scant justice for the victim or her family. My hope is if he makes a dime playing football again the family gets a civil judgement and gets all of it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

He murdered an innocent 23 year old woman due to drunkenly driving 156 mph. He got a slap on the wrist. I don’t feel all macho; our system is intended to deliver justice and unfortunately a poor prosecutor was played. His sentence delivers scant justice for the victim or her family. My hope is if he makes a dime playing football again the family gets a civil judgement and gets all of it.

Fair enough. Of course, I disagree, but we've both had our say. No hard feelings.

19 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Your point about prisons and safety is well taken.  They should be safe and not run by violent criminal gangs or have routine sexual assaults.

Unfortunately babysitting criminals isn't a fun gig and the public/private companies running all that shit are corrupt and don't give a fuck.

I say ship them to Australia. 

Problem solved.