Raiders WR Henry Ruggs charged with DUI resulting in death after drunken crash kills someone

shadow_operative

19 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

What’s this story.  I tried googling starfucker lol 

After a few hours of barhopping with friends on the night of May 26, 2011, 23-year-old Gabrielle Nestande left Clive Bar on Rainey Street with her boyfriend, William Marchbanks, around midnight. Marchbanks drove her to his house, where, sometime after 12:30 a.m., Nestande climbed into her BMW and began the dark drive home along Exposition Boulevard. At the same time, 30-year-old Courtney Griffin was walking to her residence in Tarrytown alongside the same roadway after acting as the designated driver for a friend. She never made it home. Hit by a speeding vehicle, Griffin was sent sailing into a nearby driveway—and was left to die. The next day, when police questioned Nestande about her shattered windshield and whereabouts the night before, she was sober enough to ask for a lawyer.

In the annals of drunk-driving scandals in Austin, the Nestande case stands as a template for Lone Star DWI justice gone awry. Because police didn’t interview her until several hours after her car hit Griffin, they did not ascertain whether or not Nestande’s blood alcohol level had been sufficiently high to prove intoxication. Despite persuasive surveillance video showing Nestande stumbling in the bar (it could have been her high heels, claimed the defense), and eyewitness testimony from people who insisted she appeared drunk at Clive Bar, proof was fatally elusive for the prosecution.

Then there was the matter of her trial by jury. Word from insiders who requested anonymity whispered that no jury would convict a young and attractive blonde, blue-eyed female first-time offender—a legislative aide, no less—despite the mountain of evidence against her, including pieces of clothing and skin tissue from Griffin on her car. Nestande was charged with intoxication manslaughter, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years. But due to lack of evidential proof, she was convicted for the lesser charge of criminally negligent homicide. 

https://www.austinmonthly.com/on-the-rocks/

57 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I wish that motherfucker had the balls to shoot himself in the head with the gun he was carrying. After blowing his bitch’s brains out first, of course.

I’ve thought about this. To go from where he was a week ago to now knowing your done…literally…and likely locked up until you are gray in the hair…I’d have to think someone in this situation has contemplated doing that.

Edited by Tailgate

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yep. Dogs have the minds of children and are treated as second class just because they don't speak our language. 

Both losses are tragic, so don't make this some kind of dumbass argument over what enrages me and not you. 

My kids never ate their own shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The gf is definitely a POS. You can feel the panic in her voice as she realizes her gravy train is headed to jail. He wasn’t knocked out or whatever she was yelling. He clearly yelled “fuck!” and was crying (I’m sure over his loss, not the burning victim). The gf had no idea about the victim’s condition when she’s yelling a people to help Riggs first. 

Yeah I’m sure there was a lot they could do for someone in a car fully engulfed in 10 foot flames at that point.

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Jesus christ stop judging people for what their reaction was split seconds after being in/witnessing such a horrific crash. The only person here who is definitely shit is Ruggs. The gf is questionable but she was a passenger and not driving. The "holy shit thats ruggs" people likely didnt know about the girl still being in the car, and even if they did we obviously know it was too dangerous to attempt a rescue.

That's a really shitty take.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not the one making the dumbass argument. That there are people in this world that value dog life over human life absolutely astounds me. 

This is indeed a thing.  People are far more affected by the death of an animal than a person in movies.  And sometimes in real life.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/03/idaho-police-shootings-jeanetta-riley-justice-for-arfee

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/people-care-pets-humans/

https://nypost.com/2014/02/15/do-we-care-more-about-suffering-of-animals-than-of-humans/

Edited by nnm

30 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah I’m sure there was a lot they could do for someone in a car fully engulfed in 10 foot flames at that point.

Do you suppose she made that cognitive decision and had moved on to focus on the next most injured person as a matter of triage, and not that her meal ticket and baby daddy was about to stop making millions and go to the slammer?

• Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Do you suppose she made that cognitive decision and had moved on to focus on the next most injured person as a matter of triage, and not that her meal ticket and baby daddy was about to stop making millions and go to the slammer?

I suppose she was drunk too and was still in shock and didn’t really know what the fuck was going on around her.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not the one making the dumbass argument. That there are people in this world that value dog life over human life absolutely astounds me. 

What astounds me is how fucking stupid you come off, especially with your "I know everything! Everyone is wrong but me! You don't agree with me, you're stupid!!!" every single fucking time. Not a single fucking post by you doesn't have something to do with you being right about something, no matter how wrong and how much of a dipshit you come off as. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

But it had more to do with the victim in this case. They were more outraged the dog died than the female who lost her life. 

I'm genuinely sad for the woman and her dog. It just sucks because dogs rely on us for everything, and they don't know better. All they do is want to make us happy. That's it. Then they already have a shortened life-span as is, so losing their life even earlier makes me sad. But make no mistake, my heart breaks for both of them. Just because I outwardly show I'm sad for the dog doesn't mean I'm not torn for the young lady who lost a whole life ahead of her. It's just tragic all around 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Huh.  Maybe because I’m right a lot, and you’re “fucking enraged” about a dog dying?

No, you're a troglodyte who THINKS they're right, but is quite obviously mentally retarded. 

Since you're top dense to use Google, I've taken the liberty to do it for you, Mr. I'm always right 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2015/04/people-care-pets-humans/amp

Edited by Spider2YBanana

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t know why you view me as some authority figure. It’s coming out in every post. I’m making an observation here. When people make observations, they tend to be convicted about (i.e. they believe they’re right). 

I absolutely love dogs. I love my Golden more than my wife. And she knows it. 

Yet, it would not be more tragic to have my Golden die than an innocent woman (screaming as she’s being burned alive). I’m sorry if you disagree, and I’m sorry it offends you when I emphatically and definitively say you’re an idiot or a moron for articulating that. Because you are. 

I know you can't help that you're stupid, and I apologize for that, and I'm sorry your mom drank while pregnant and you can't seem to grasp why people care more about animals than people. I'm truly affected by your stupidity. It's an epidemic, obviously.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

No, you're a troglodyte who THINKS they're right, but is quite obviously mentally retarded. 

Since you're top dense to use Google, I've taken the liberty to do it for you, Mr. I'm always right 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2015/04/people-care-pets-humans/amp

By people do you think they mean Americans? And more specifically, white Americans? I doubt that if the entire population of the planet were polled the results of that study would bare out the same conclusions. This phenomenon of caring for pets over human life is a cultural thing and probably a resulting effect afforded by relative comfort. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm genuinely sad for the woman and her dog. It just sucks because dogs rely on us for everything, and they don't know better. All they do is want to make us happy. That's it. Then they already have a shortened life-span as is, so losing their life even earlier makes me sad. But make no mistake, my heart breaks for both of them. Just because I outwardly show I'm sad for the dog doesn't mean I'm not torn for the young lady who lost a whole life ahead of her. It's just tragic all around 

They don’t have a shortened life span. They have a dogs lifespan.
We are paedomorphic primates so we live longer than other primates. Maybe neoteny is a better term.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

By people do you think they mean Americans? And more specifically white Americans? I doubt that if the entire population of the planet were polled the results of that study would bare out the same conclusions. This phenomenon of caring for pets over human life is a cultural thing and probably a resulting effect afforded by relative comfort. 

That was just the first article. There are several different ones. It's pretty crazy, tbh. I actually thought I was in the minority 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t know why you view me as some authority figure. It’s coming out in every post. I’m making an observation here. When people make observations, they tend to be convicted about (i.e. they believe they’re right). 

I absolutely love dogs. I love my Golden more than my wife. And she knows it. 

Yet, it would not be more tragic to have my Golden die than an innocent woman (screaming as she’s being burned alive). I’m sorry if you disagree, and I’m sorry it offends you when I emphatically and definitively say you’re an idiot or a moron for articulating that. Because you are. 

Your wife isn't that innocent. 

Your dog, like every dog, is probably pretty innocent., 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Just read where another Raider, Damon Arnette is getting sued for a hit and run a couple of weeks ago turning into the Raiders practice facility.nsiap

Jesus Christ. I think we all kind of knew moving to Vegas might be a bad idea, but this may be worse than we imagined going forward. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Your wife isn't that innocent. 

Your dog, like every dog, is probably pretty innocent., 

This has a lot to do with the reaction (in addition to the cultural and comfort influences mentioned above). Pets are viewed as entirely dependent and innocent creatures, similar to young children.

You would have seen a similar, but more intense, reaction shift if the 23-year-old's passenger had been her young child instead of her dog. It doesn't make the loss of her life less tragic, but people react more viscerally to the death of a "helpless and innocent" life in a situation like this. I only put that in quotes because in this situation the young lady obviously matches that description as well. But pets are considered by many as akin to children in that respect. 

Given spiders past it makes sense he'd grow an attachment to dogs and would have that view point. He also said he feels sorry for the person who passed away as well but with his attachment to the dogs after his incident in life it makes sense he'd feel horrible for the dog. 

I don't think there is a need to be a smug cocksucker about spider's feelings about the dog.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

I recall a convo. In my psych class many moons ago about a dog stuck on tracks or humans stuck on train tracks who do you save. I said the dog to many folks dismay and much like spidy said. Dogs rely on us humans to protect them etc.  so humans are smart enough not to get stuck ina fucking train track but dogs will need a humans help.  Plus let’s be honest. Humans fucking suck. Dogs are man’s best friend and reality is humans don’t deserve dogs. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I recall a convo. In my psych class many moons ago about a dog stuck on tracks or humans stuck on train tracks who do you save. I said the dog to many folks dismay and much like spidy said. Dogs rely on us humans to protect them etc.  so humans are smart enough not to get stuck ina fucking train track but dogs will need a humans help.  Plus let’s be honest. Humans fucking suck. Dogs are man’s best friend and reality is humans don’t deserve dogs. 

No we don't deserve them. We're selfish assholes who take advantage of their love and others. We think we're smarter than we actually, but in reality we're an awful species. Humans do indeed suck. For every good person there are hundreds of pieces of garbage who will kill for $500 or less. We're a disease.  

• Hook 'Em 1