Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

To add on to the hype, think about the fact that Milroe took a winless team to a 10-3 record in 6A and made the third round of the playoffs. There's something to be said for being a guy who can just win games. I think it takes a certain amount of natural leadership ability that you just can't teach. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I live close to the one by heroine needle beach and I’m there 15x a month through the summer. Pittsford dairy is where it’s at though, although it’s not significantly better than Amy’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heroine Beach?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

quick question do juniors who commit this early usually take all of their official visits during their senior year?

Depends on the kid. This particular kid, with two parents in the military, whose father apparently didn’t t want him to record a video (which was very modest and quite sincere), does not seem like the kind of dude to take visits.

44 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

To add on to the hype, think about the fact that Milroe took a winless team to a 10-3 record in 6A and made the third round of the playoffs. There's something to be said for being a guy who can just win games. I think it takes a certain amount of natural leadership ability that you just can't teach. 

This is a great point that doesn't get mentioned enough. Katy Tompkins was awful before Milroe took over. 

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

So who ends up the higher rated recruit Milroe or Stone

stone’s older brother was also very highly ranked going into his junior year.  he signed as a three-star.  and disappeared.  preston stone is smoke and mirrors playing against special-needs opposition and hopefully this milroe commitment shuts the door on his candy ass. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, truthbringerlrac said:

quick question do juniors who commit this early usually take all of their official visits during their senior year?

Most QBs, once they commit, shut things down with their recruitment.

I'm sure Milroe will OV to Texas (timed by the coaches to maximize his recruiting impact with other targets) at some point after his junior year, but unless something strange happens, we should consider him locked in, just as every other QB who has committed to Texas under Herman has been.

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Sorry I meant complete as in he can make seemingly every throw, not that he's a finished product.  But as far as mechanics go, wouldn't you want someone who starts out with ideal mechanics if the results are already excellent?  

Welcome to the world of rationalization. I’ll have an extensive chapter on the subject in my book. 

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So if you had to choose for RB2 between Campbell and LJ Johnson - who do you take a commitment from?

Considering how RB recruiting has gone, you take both and don’t ask any questions.

Johnson’s better overall. Campbell is more of a scat back. I can’t see Johnson being willing to be a RB2, Campbell would.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So if you had to choose for RB2 between Campbell and LJ Johnson - who do you take a commitment from?

They are both very talented. I would choose LJ Johnson but we will probably get Campbell. I think he's pretty close with Fozzy Whittacker. 

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Considering how RB recruiting has gone, you take both and don’t ask any questions.

Johnson’s better overall. Campbell is more of a scat back. I can’t see Johnson being willing to be a RB2, Campbell would.

If Drayton continues to shit the bed, you take both Johnson and Campbell if you can.

11 hours ago, futureman said:

stone’s older brother was also very highly ranked going into his junior year.  he signed as a three-star.  and disappeared.  preston stone is smoke and mirrors playing against special-needs opposition and hopefully this milroe commitment shuts the door on his candy ass. 

I’m really happy we got Milroe over Stone but a quick glance at his brother’s ranking history on 247 says this isn’t true. 

IT

BEHIND THE SCENES ON MILROE

This recruitment was strongly influenced by the national quarterback dominoes, namely Alabama taking Drake Maye from North Carolina. As we chronicled numerous times, Alabama recruited Milroe with a lot of effort, and they still may. He had a pretty strong relationship built with the Alabama staff.

Milroe also liked A&M for some time. They recruited him along with Denton Guyer's Eli Stowers and North Shore's Dematrius Davis Jr. From what I've heard, the Aggies were likely to take two in the class until they landed Haynes King in this cycle.

Like Texas, Alabama and A&M were operating on a first come, first served basis.

I don't think Milroe is opposed to being in a two quarterback class, but at the same time those schools were recruiting other quarterbacks and after ultimately landing them, Texas really started to push.

The second Alabama landed Maye it seemed like Milroe would be a Longhorn, but Texas still had to beat out Florida State and Florida. Per my guy Spivey in the Southeast, Milroe was Dan Mullen's top target, which is also telling of Milroe's fit at Texas. Milroe had a pretty strong relationship with Florida OC Brian Johnson, formerly of U of H, as well as Kendall Briles, also formerly of U of H (and Baylor).

Texas was still kind of new as far as in-person relationship building, but Tim Beck and Milroe had been in touch throughout the spring. Milroe ultimately visited and spent quality time with Beck. We had a feeling that Texas was going to be impressed with not only his fit within the scheme but also his demeanor and personality. That's when business really picked up. Had that visit not taken place, Milroe wouldn't be a Horn commit. The visit popped up last second and Jalen's dad took off of work to make it happen.

Beck pushed for an offer and Tom Herman was fully on-board. Not only did they love Jalen's tools but also his program fit. Along with his family, Milroe returned not long after his initial visit for the pool party, meeting with Herman in his office beforehand.

Texas was now in good shape but it still needed a bit of luck from other schools. Sometimes the dominoes fall your way, other times they don't. Last week they fell UT's way and the staff capitalized, making an extra hard push on Thursday.

Once Jalen knew he was going to Texas he wanted to do a video. His father was against it, and was pretty vocal about it. "This isn't us, this isn't Jalen," he said. But Jalen's 16 years old and only gets to do this once, plus it helps at least somewhat with recruiting. With dad on board the video was set in motion. Being able to observe that process allowed me to see how engaging yet focused he is. The voice-over required some effort and slowing down to master -- it's not exactly at the pace of calling plays. It was telling to see Jalen leave the room to edit what he wanted to say and return quickly with improvements (okay, so maybe he got a little help from his mom on one of them).

The best part about watching the video being made was Jalen's teammates didn't know the result until the final part was shot. This meant I could gauge Tunmise Adeleye's reaction to the choice. Toon-mize, as the East Texas Butcher calls him, is the standout defensive end for Katy Tompkins. Also a rising junior, he's in demand and can commit to any school in the country. I could tell of late he's been lukewarm towards Texas, and indeed UT is sitting outside of his top-four. But what about that package deal, Tunmise? More on that in a bit, but his reaction when he found out Milroe was picking Texas was priceless. Adeleye was thinking it would be Alabama and it showed on his face. It was the look of happy wonderment, as if to say, "wait, what just happened." He looked around smiling and clapping but he appeared to be wondering if he was being trolled. You can pick up on it a bit in the video.

He told me his top-four about an hour before we did the interview. There was no "as of right now" in it, but there was minutes after Jalen told the world he was headed to UT and Adeleye again told me his top-four.

TUNMISE ADELEYE

I had to catch up with the big man, whose name is pronounced Too-me-shay Adel-e-aye. He's one of a number of priority defensive linemen in a deep in-state class.

IT: You told me a top-four, let's go through each school and just state what you like about each.

TA: Top-four as of right now is Alabama, Ohio State, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma -- no order. With Alabama it's having the chance to be coached by Nick Saban. They always have elite coaches no matter who's over there. And every year it's a factory of producing NFL talent at every single position. With Ohio State, the defensive line coaches are the best in the profession. They're the best defensive line coaches in America. No matter who the head coach is over there they have a track record as far as good success and as far as winning games. With A&M, with Jimbo Fisher being over there he's one of the coaches who has won a National Championship in recent time. That's why they're in there and it's close to home. Being close to home isn't really a factor for me but it's a plus for them. And at Oklahoma they've dominated the Big 12 the last four years. The defense isn't really where it should be at the moment but Coach Grinch's scheme, his philosophy, I could see them improving in the next couple years and start to develop elite defensive linemen and elite talent on the defensive side of the ball. As of right now what attracts me to Oklahoma is they're winning. Coach Riley is winning games.

IT: We're just moments removed from Jalen Milroe telling family, friends, and teammates where he's destined to go. It's Texas. You guys have claimed to be a package deal previously but it seems like that theory is going to be tested a little bit. What are your thoughts on Jalen and Texas?

TA: It is going to test that theory a little bit. Texas is a school that is in my top-10, so obviously it's a school I'm looking at in the recruiting process. With Jalen being in my ear for the next year-and-a-half it's probably going to sway things a little bit. With him just talking to me constantly it's going to change things a little bit. And also there are lots of guys at the University of Texas I have relationships with, players there right now. It's going to test a lot of things and it's a definite possibility we end up going there together. Anything can happen.

IT: You know Jalen as well as almost anybody. What is Texas getting in him?

TA: Just a dog. I think he's the best quarterback in the nation. I don't care about rankings or none of that. I've been playing with him since 6th grade. I know the caliber of athlete he is, I know how he works, what he brings to the table, and I know he's elite. They're getting an elite quarterback.

If Texas wins this year, aided by strong defensive line play, expect a move into the very top group for the nation's composite No. 48 player in the 2021 class.

Academics are big to Adeleye's father and the schools that standout in that regard are Texas and Washington.

BRANDON CAMPBELL

There's a lot of talk of Milroe being an excellent recruiter. I'd urge caution just because you can't expect a high school kid to recruit better than experienced adults who get paid a lot of money to win difficult battles, but he is certainly well-liked and respected by his peers, and he probably has more recruiting upside than any QB UT has landed in some time. (Ehlinger's ability in that regard was hindered by being in a transition class, and to a lesser extent, centered in Austin).

Milroe grew up amidst a talent boom in the Katy area. Katy always had football players, but they haven't always had numerous high profile recruits, especially spread out among differing schools. We've known about Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster since they were freshmen, maybe even earlier. Tunmise's been known for a while. Brandon Campbell is newer to the scene but after a strong sophomore season where his versatility and movement skills were on display he's been picking up offers, including one from Texas.

Campbell was at Katy Taylor with Conner and Foster but has since moved to Pearland. I asked his thoughts on Jalen to Texas and recruiting in general.

On that group of players:
"We all grew up playing sports together or against each other. Even Bryce played basketball with us for a while (enter Shaq in the mosh-pit here): Jalen, Hayden, Hunter (Washington, Katy CB)."

On his relationship with Milroe:
"That's my quarterback. We're really close. Our families are really close. I'd feel really comfortable going to the same school. If his parents trust the coaching staff then I know mine will. They're great people and look after Jalen like my family looks after me."

Jalen as a player:
"With Jalen, he's a vocal leader, I know him and his dad are big on having poise. It's crazy, Jalen still has two years left and he's not even close to being what he's going to be."

Jalen committing to Texas:
"He kept it under wraps. I saw he was talking about committing on Snapchat but I thought he was joking. When he committed to Texas I was going crazy."

On Texas recruiting him:
"I just talked to Coach Drayton 20 minutes ago. He said, 'take your time, I want to earn your family's trust, but when you're ready just let me know.'"

UT's class has a QB and a WR:
"I know, if I commit Jalen and I would really help each other out. You can't load the box but you can't ignore the run. I was just talking with Quay (Texas commit Quaydarius Davis) because he was at the Prime 21 camp. He was telling me how we could be special in the class of 2021. He's a confident guy, I like it. When he walks around you can feel it." 

On getting to know Pearland product and former Longhorn Fozzy Whitaker:
"We're supposed to workout together. He told me basically, if I need anything don't hesitate to let him know. He lives in Austin so if I'm up there and want to hang out to let him know. He's good people and gives me a lot of great advice."

On schools he's hearing from the most:
"Washington, Va Tech, and USC. Of course Texas and U of H all the time." 

Campbell is supposed to visit A&M on Friday night before heading directly to Austin to visit Texas on Saturday. Obviously, Texas is in a good spot. They'll likely take two running backs in the 2021 class.

JUAN DAVIS

UT's jump on the 2021 class isn't too surprising. They've hit on some early targets and evaluations, and the Everman tight end is just that.

At 6-foot-4, 217 pounds, the big-bodied pass-catcher isn't really into Top 10 lists, videos, and graphic edits. He just wants to play football.

"(Texas) really wants me to go there," said Davis, a man of few words, just actions. "I loved the Heat Wave pool party, and I'll be back on Friday (July 26th). "

Texas TE coach Derek Warehime identified Davis early in the process and continues to build a great rapport with the budding talent.

"We have a very close relationship," Davis said about Warehime. "I love everything about him."

Davis is very no nonsense. It's business-like with him. He works hard on and off the field. His job at Wing Stop goes until midnight, six days a week. He's working out during the day with teammates. He might be the lunch pail type. With Lake Travis TE Lake McRee already in the fold, Texas has positioned itself nicely for a two-TE haul in 2021.

TCU, Baylor, and Southern Miss are his other offers, with a handful of programs beginning their pursuit. That might not matter. I wouldn't be surprised if he shuts down his recruitment very soon. Maybe this weekend. We'll have a little more on Davis when we gather the full Stars at Night roster on Friday.

JD COFFEY

While Davis may be a secret to the recruiting world, the 6-foot-1, 180-pound safety from Kennedale isn't an unknown. The four-star holds double digit offers including Notre Dame, Florida, Georgia Tech, TCU, Oklahoma State, and Colorado, but that Texas offer might be his favorite.

"I'm really close to coach Naivar," Coffey said. "We talk at least three times a week. We have a good relationship. I plan on going down there (Austin) this Friday, maybe stay the weekend."

Coffey will be at the camp, but not participating, which is normal for a prospect that UT has plenty of knowledge on. UT isn't the only suitor though.

"I talked to the Georgia coach the other day," said Coffey. "I might take a visit down there soon. I stay in touch with OSU (Oklahoma State) a lot too, so I might take a visit there."

Coffey's timeline isn't set in stone, but he's looking at a possible decision during the season or right after his junior year. What is he looking for in a program?

"The school that makes me feel at home," said Coffey. "That makes my mom feel at home and most comfortable."

So far, so good for the Longhorns. Coffey is a primary target for the Texas staff and that won't change.

ISHMAEL IBRAHEEM 

When you think of Texas Football, DBU is a popular branding for the program. Kids that play in the secondary in-state know that very well, like Dallas Kimball's four-star corner.

The 6-foot-1, 175-pound defensive back is also popular for 2021, holding over 20 offers including Alabama, LSU, OU, Georgia, and Ole Miss. But at the Prime 21 camp on Saturday, he just wanted to learn more.

"Today I want to learn from Deion Sanders and work on my technique, be the best I can be," Ibraheem said.

With the group of colleges in pursuit, a few are standing out for the DFW prospect.

"Texas, LSU...they really talk to me," Ibraheem said. "I'm supposed to be going to Texas this weekend (7/26). Coach Washington is real. He cares about me and my family. He always says 'family first', and I love that. "

Texas 2021 pledge Quay Davis is already working on the four-star.

"We actually went to middle school together," Ibraheem said. "We workout together sometimes."

He's not close to a decision, looking at the summer of 2020 for a possible announcement. But for now, Texas will stay the course as the Class of 2021 continues to grow.

• Like 2

Davis is very no nonsense. It's business-like with him. He works hard on and off the field. His job at Wing Stop goes until midnight, six days a week. He's working out during the day with teammates. He might be the lunch pail type. With Lake Travis TE Lake McRee already in the fold, Texas has positioned itself nicely for a two-TE haul in 2021.

Jesus, once the kid can actually get 8 hours of sleep a night that alone should make a difference.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

I’m really happy we got Milroe over Stone but a quick glance at his brother’s ranking history on 247 says this isn’t true. 

He got to #218 in the country between his sophomore and junior seasons and finished ranked #766. Obviously futureman is going to futureman, but Lindell Stone definitely dropped like a, um, rock, in the rankings his last two seasons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just spent the morning breaking down the film of Stone and Milroe and here are my thoughts: 

Stone: Great mechanics and decision making. You can tell he's got the technical aspects down and is a real leader on the field. Obviously put in the work to get where he is today since he has limited athleticism. A real lunch pail kind of guy. He's just a hard working no nonsense kind of kid who is the first guy to show up and the last guy to leave. His biggest strengths are probably his moxie and grit. Wherever he ends up he's going to put his head down and go to work and keep his mouth shut. You can tell that he's had to earn his spot and wasn't just handed the reins. Definitely a great locker room guy and a guy who will stick around for all 4 years even if he isn't starting. 

Milroe: A flashy, me first kind of player. You can tell he's looking out for numero uno when he's on the field. Has all the talent in the world but it's obvious that he doesn't also put in the work. Gives minimal effort and relies on talent to get the job done. It can be a bit hard to tell from just the game film, but he's obviously a locker room diva as well. His intangibles are also lacking, I'm not sure why but I just know it from looking at him. He's definitely a high upside athlete, but I think at the end of the day he ends up at WR or transferring. 

Not your best effort. 

I’m not mad. I’m just...disappointed.