Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

That's the damning thing.  Mack at his worst still would have beat the crap out of that tech team last week.

Back when 8-win seasons in football and 20-win seasons in basketball were enough to get you fired at Texas.

Since then we've had nothing but coaches that struggle to even reach those marks, let alone surpass them.

Does the football board understand that coaches other than Urban Meyer exist? He’s obviously had a great career but his team in ‘18 responded much better to Ryan Day for a reason. Who knows, maybe there’s a chance that someone like Mario Cristobal gets tired of the Pac 12 front office and university presidents holding his team back, so he looks east. It’d be premature this year, but I think Jeff Hafley at BC is a future star head coach and moves up quickly. Everyone mentions Fleck, but I think he’d be more expensive than any other realistic option. Obviously there are tons of other options, but the Urban tunnel vision on that board is just strange. I get that it’s full of simpletons/drunk guys, but it’s still stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, George Clooney said:

Does the football board understand that coaches other than Urban Meyer exist? He’s obviously had a great career but his team in ‘18 responded much better to Ryan Day for a reason. Who knows, maybe there’s a chance that someone like Mario Cristobal gets tired of the Pac 12 front office and university presidents holding his team back, so he looks east. It’d be premature this year, but I think Jeff Hafley at BC is a future star head coach and moves up quickly. Everyone mentions Fleck, but I think he’d be more expensive than any other realistic option. Obviously there are tons of other options, but the Urban tunnel vision on that board is just strange. I get that it’s full of simpletons/drunk guys, but it’s still stupid.

Yeah they're older on average than the recruiting board, and they think the problem with Herman was that we went young and up-and-coming.

2 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

The tunnel vision is from hiring 2 guys that were "up and coming". Urban has been to the top of the mountain as a HC, multiple times.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Tech's offense put up 447 yards and 49 points against us last week. Care to check how they're doing this week against a team that gave up 489 yards and five scores to Arkansas State?

image.png

Maybe if you weren't busy slitting your wrists you would notice that Bowman got knocked out of the game

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

The tunnel vision is from hiring 2 guys that were "up and coming". Urban has been to the top of the mountain as a HC, multiple times.

Urban has had an outstanding career, but ADs at high-profile programs hire great up and coming coaches all the time. When Steve Patterson and Mike Perrin are in charge of hiring a head coach, it’s likely going to be a bad hire. If CDC is truly a top 10 AD, then he’ll hire a great coach. Everyone knows he’s been good so far, and I think he’ll eventually hire a great coach like he’s done a few times already.

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Maybe if you weren't busy slitting your wrists you would notice that Bowman got knocked out of the game

So your argument is what?  Tech is a great team with Bowman and we were awesome for coming back to beat them?

Cause personally the opinion going into this season among Tech fans is they were going to be shit whether Bowman managed to play a full season or not.

With Bowman(who BTW KSU was still defending way better than us when he was in) or without Bowman Tech is bad this year.

We’ll just have to wait, but I really think Day will be at least as good as Dabo if he doesn’t have NFL aspirations. He seemingly makes great hire after great hire at every assistant position, and the media guys I trust laud him constantly. In addition, he understands recruiting and is better at it like 10x that of Helfrich. Look around the country and you’ll see that great ADs nail coaching hires regardless of the coach’s experience/accolades. Stricklin at UF nailed the Mullen hire, Gene Smith nailed the Day hire, Rob Mullens nailed the Cristobal hire,  Gene Taylor (very underrated) at KSU seems to have made a great hire in Klieman. If CDC is really in those guys’ class, then he’ll also make a great hire.

• Hook 'Em 2

Everyone nails hires. Teams have 1 or 2 down years but continue to compete and reload. But here texas we have down decades meh it is what it is like being a cowboys fan I’ve grown used to and expected and this years class won’t help but hopefully stays in tact 

• Fuck You 2

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Everyone nails hires. Teams have 1 or 2 down years but continue to compete and reload. But here texas we have down decades meh it is what it is like being a cowboys fan I’ve grown used to and expected and this years class won’t help but hopefully stays in tact 

If by everyone you mean the same 4 teams that shift around the playoff spots every year, bar the occasional lightning-in-a-bottle Ogre-style run?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Tennessee, Michigan, USC, Free Shoes, Nebraska, pre-Kelly Notre Dame

14 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Yeah this is bullshit. Being a college football fan is pain basically. Assuming youre not Bama, Clemson, or tOSU fan. 

Edited by theaveragejon

17 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

None of those hires are ones we couldn't have made. Ryan Day was a QB coach in the NFL. Riley was offensive coordinator at East Carolina. Belmont and their search firms made a mess of things this decade, and that should probably be a separate conversation.

58 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

his team in ‘18 responded much better to Ryan Day for a reason.

yeah they really improved on that 13-1 Rose Bowl championship season

I actually agree that Day looks like a tremendous coach and snark aside they DID improve in 2019, but it wasn't like Ohio State had tuned Meyer out or the program was heading for disaster. Meyer's problem was nepotism (of a sort) and staff weakness in two areas, one of which was eliminated when Zach Smith was fired. The 2018 defense was unbelievably bad thanks to Greg Schiano and Bill Davis, and it's a black mark on Meyer's time at Ohio State and yet... they lost one game all year, trounced their more highly ranked rival to close the regular season, and won the Rose Bowl. I don't think Meyer's lost as much of his fastball as you seem to.

9 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

yeah they really improved on that 13-1 Rose Bowl championship season

I actually agree that Day looks like a tremendous coach and snark aside they DID improve in 2019, but it wasn't like Ohio State had tuned Meyer out or the program was heading for disaster. Meyer's problem was nepotism (of a sort) and staff weakness in two areas, one of which was eliminated when Zach Smith was fired. The 2018 defense was unbelievably bad thanks to Greg Schiano and Bill Davis, and it's a black mark on Meyer's time at Ohio State and yet... they lost one game all year, trounced their more highly ranked rival to close the regular season, and won the Rose Bowl. I don't think Meyer's lost as much of his fastball as you seem to.

Yeah I’m really interested to see just how well he’d perform if/when he takes another job. I think (successful) experience is the most important thing to consider for the inevitable next hire. Herman came in with just two years of head coaching experience, and that’s not enough if the guy comes from outside the program. 

3 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Between the 2017 and 2018 classes... Who has truly elite athletic talent?  Jamison, who gives up size and strength... Then Thompson, who took years to be decent at football, and Gary Johnson

Don't say Eagles 

Does blaming the talent vs. the coaching really matter anymore? Both are on Herman, it's his 4th year here. We're seeing the combined results of his recruiting and his coaching right now on the field.

10 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Between the 2017 and 2018 classes... Who has truly elite athletic talent?  Jamison, who gives up size and strength... Then Thompson, who took years to be decent at football, and Gary Johnson

Don't say Eagles 

Dude that 2018 class was as gilt-edged as they come. The coaching is bad.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Does blaming the talent vs. the coaching really matter anymore? Both are on Herman, it's his 4th year here. We're seeing the combined results of his recruiting and his coaching right now on the field.

I'm talking about talent here because this is the recruiting thread.  

Ok here is some sunshine. CDC has shown via other UT coach hires that he knows how to identify a great coach and go get them. He has a plan in the event Herman continues to fail. He may not pull the trigger this year because of financials but he will next year if Herman continues to underperform. Between now and then, there’s still a chance we are just seeing the a relatively new head coach learn on the job. Probably not, but that’s what I’m going to tell myself for the next 8 weeks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ok here is some sunshine. CDC has shown via other UT coach hires that he knows how to identify a great coach and go get them. He has a plan in the event Herman continues to fail. He may not pull the trigger this year because of financials but he will next year if Herman continues to underperform. Between now and then, there’s still a chance we are just seeing the a relatively new head coach learn on the job. Probably not, but that’s what I’m going to tell myself for the next 8 weeks.

Yeah the Shaka extension was oof, but his actual hires have been good.

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So in 5 years we might have a chance at being good? 

I think there’s something wrong with the city of austin and the effect it has on football players.  somehow vince and colt were able to overcome it and lead the team to elite levels, but they were college football hall of fame qbs.  sam has great stats but for some reason he hasn’t been able to take the reins of this program and will this team to greatness.  and nobody has since colt left.  herman’s UH teams played like their hair was on fire.  I think UT as a program may be closer to what our rivals think it is than we want to accept. 

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

image.gif

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Because we have an inexperienced head coach that we hired from a shitty G5 program that is completely outclassed in this sub par league.  He's a worse coach than Riley, Patterson, Campbell, and Gundy. 

We're a miracle onside kick away from being 0-2 in the Big 12 and we are staring at another loss next week against ou.  

Good OU teams have made garbage UT squads winners in Dallas in 2013 and 2015.

Regardless of what happens tonight, I don't even know if this is a good OU team.