Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So I clicked onto the "post most recently viewed" icon to look back into this thread in my first visit since forever. Or, April 13, page 202, apparently. Seems like catching up ... could take awhile. 

So fuck it. Forgive me if this is all old shit for you boys and girls. 

-Big news coming out of The Get Down soon, perhaps. I'm personally excited to see where it heads.

-That might impact the pursuit of Regis, who they really otherwise want.

-The dude out of Maryland that plays WR and wanted to go to Oregon, he's got a strong UT connection and we're a player there. 

-Obviously I'm sure this is old news, but if Big 12 relevance into the future can be sold effectively, Turner and Johnson come to Texas. If it can't, fuck.

-Merril's mom is a killer on the business end. We're not friends but her rep and history in an arena I know well are excellent. Dude's got the 80-inch wingspan and he's not a scrub, albeit not a projection along the Brockermeyer levels either. 

-Herb Hand can't get it done recruiting black kids. He also looks like he sucks as a coach on the field. It's unlikely he's back. First and last takes on him here are what I'm passing on. Him sucking on the field is my own radical view, I know. 

Anywho, hope some of that is helpful to those who give a shit. Hope you guys are all safe and doing well, too. 

YES!  All is right with the world or its a sign of the apocalypse.  At this point I’m OK either way.  Welcome back. 

So is this the DL board at this point? I'm wondering if they'd take both Abiara and Samuels. It would make sense since we don't have many traditional even front ends in the system. Obvious lee Turner has a spot reserved until the end. Gerry has been high on Abiara lately after seeing him in person, fwiw. 

WDE: Ja'Tavian Sanders, Derrick Harris Jr

WDE/SDE: David Abiara, Jelin Samuels

SDE

SDE/3T: Jordon Thomas, Shemar Turner, Arden Walker

3T: Ike Iwunnah

NT/3T: Albert Regis

NT

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think a Sanders, Harris, Thomas, Turner, Abiara, Samuels, and Regis class would be ideal, although seven is a pretty big number

I wonder if they're already kind of looking ahead and '22 and saying fuck it, let's just take one more in '21 while we can. Our top 3 DE targets for next year are all pretty heavy leans elsewhere right now. I dunno about Bear but that's also a high profile national recruitment that could go any direction.

15 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I wonder if they're already kind of looking ahead and '22 and saying fuck it, let's just take one more in '21 while we can. Our top 3 DE targets for next year are all pretty heavy leans elsewhere right now. I dunno about Bear but that's also a high profile national recruitment that could go any direction.

Might have to use this philosophy every year with the introduction of the transfer portal.

20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

This is where I'm at. Bear is the only target were we may have a lead, the rest of the state looks pretty thin except the top, and we don't set up particularly well for anyone at the top. The only frustration is the lack of ends and pass rushers in either class

That said, I'd rather roll the dice on '22 longshots than take '21 warm bodies just to get numbers. I know a lot of people here were pretty cool on both Abiara and the Colorado guy. I could see buying a Jelin Samuels lottery ticket if we have a slot to spare, but those other guys seem like the kind of player that will be available to us in the '22 class as well if we find ourselves just needing a body.

Just now, tokamak said:

That said, I'd rather roll the dice on '22 longshots than take '21 warm bodies just to get numbers. I know a lot of people here were pretty cool on both Abiara and the Colorado guy. I could see buying a Jelin Samuels lottery ticket if we have a slot to spare, but those other guys seem like the kind of player that will be available to us in the '22 class as well if we find ourselves just needing a body.

Gerry is high on Abiara after seeing him recently. I'll go with him 

Samuels seems like a really high upside take

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Gerry is high on Abiara after seeing him recently. I'll go with him 

Samuels seems like a really high upside take

I'm not much of a film evaluator and haven't watched Abiara's anyway. He's committed to Notre Dame and I know OU wants him so obviously he must not be trash. Just remember someone else here saying they didn't even think he should be a take for us and they'd be fine with OU getting him. That recruitment just refuses to go away.

Mike Roach: Recruiting battles that shaped matchup between Texas and TCU

Texas and TCU will get Saturday started off with an 11 AM tilt in Austin. The former Southwest Conference foes saw their rivalry cool when both schools went their separate ways following the SWC’s folding. Texas holds a commanding series record at 63-26-1, but TCU is 6-2 since joining the Big 12 in 2012. That streak included 4 straright from 2014-2017. As in-state schools, the two often crossed paths on the recruiting trail. Once TCU joined the Big 12, the two became more frequent recruiting rivals.  That culminated in the 2020 class when the Horned Frogs dealt a couple of big blows to Texas late in the cycle.

Over the years, those prospects become players who directly influence the outcome of the rivalry each year. Several young players are already seeing the field on both sides and several core players decided between playing in Fort Worth and Austin, and some have been committed to both at one time. Let’s take a look at the recruiting battles that shaped this week’s matchup.

TCU WR Quentin Johnston

Johnston was set to be one of the biggest playmakers in the 2020 Texas class, but the combination of most of the Texas offensive staff being dismissed and Malcolm Kelly’s relentless pursuit saw the former Temple (Texas) four-star flip to TCU just days before he signed. Johnston got on the field for TCU last week and caught two balls for 50 yards and a touchdown. Johnston’s big frame and field-stretching ability will be something Chris Ash has to account for this season. Texas seems to be deep at the receiver position, but Johnston has the type of ability anyone in the nation could use.

Texas RB Keaontay Ingram

TCU was the first school to offer Ingram when the former Carthage (Texas) back first made a name for himself as a state championship back. The Horned Frogs stuck around early in the recruitment and were named as a finalist, but Texas was in control of the recruitment from the time they offered. Since that point, Ingram became the leading back on the Texas team, and his fourth quarter performance in Lubbock last week helped Texas make a big comeback. If Texas can control the ball with the run game, they could walk away from Saturday 3-0. Ingram will be a big part of that effort.

TCU OL Andrew Coker

Coker went from promising underclassmen to overweight junior to re-built and promising senior. Coker committed to TCU in the summer before his senior season, but Texas continued to pursue the former Katy Taylor tackle. Texas was able to get him on campus for an official visit late in the process, but the Longhorns could never quite get over the top of the hill to flip him. Coker started at right tackle against Iowa State in the TCU opener and could be a solid piece for the next three to four years. Texas had to turn over a big group of offensive linemen this year, and Coker could have been a part of the tackle rotation.

Texas cornerback Josh Thompson

Thompson was once a TCU commit who flipped to Texas when the Longhorns offered. Now the starting corner for Texas, Thompson will be relied upon to help keep the Horned Frog receivers out of the end zone. Patterson’s staff traditionally excels at identifying defensive backs early and developing them in college. TCU was early to offer Thompson and won him over because of that. In the Big 12, defensive backs are always needed and Thompson is good enough to play for both sides.

TCU EDGE Marcel Brooks

What a road it has been for Brooks. The former elite linebacker was actually once (briefly) a silent commit to Texas before ultimately choosing LSU and winning a ring with the Tigers last year. He decided to transfer out of the program and ended up back home at TCU. Brooks tallied three tackles in week one, but he has the potential and skillset to change a game if he’s on his game.

Texas DL Ta'Quon Graham

In one of the best recruiting stories of all time, legend has it that Graham was looking around despite being committed to Texas. TCU and Oklahoma were the other two schools he was considering, and the Sooners had real momentum. After officially visiting TCU two weeks before signing day, Graham told several people near him that the negative recruiting he endured at TCU bothered him so much that he canceled a late trip he had scheduled to Oklahoma. Now, Graham will line up for Texas and attempt to put a pass rush on TCU in his senior season.

TCU WR Savion Williams

Quentin Johnston wasn’t the only win TCU scored over Texas late in 2020. The Longhorns entered the race well after the Horned Frogs for Marshall’s Savion Williams and tried to flip him in the last month of recruiting. Williams hasn’t yet played for TCU but he appears on the depth chart at the “Z” wide receiver position. The long, lanky east Texan has the ability to make plays in the red zone and take the top off of the Texas defense if he’s deployed.

Texas cornerback D'Shawn Jamison

Jamison chose Texas as part of a heralded 2018 defensive back group, but there was a period of time in the spring of his junior season where TCU had the juice in his recruitment. Now playing opposite of former TCU commit Josh Thompson in the Texas secondary. Like Thompson, TCU was early to identify Jamison as a dynamic defensive back talent coming out of Houston Lamar, and his play on defense and the kick return game will play a big role in this week’s action.

TCU RB Zach Evans

It remains to be seen if Evans will be able to make an impact this week. The former five-star back who signed with Georgia and then ended up at TCU after being released from his letter of intent had quite a roller coaster recruitment. Evans didn’t see the field last week and finds himself currently buried on the depth chart. If he can get onto the field, Evans certainly has the talent and overall athletic ability to break a game open if everything is clicking.

Texas DT Keondre Coburn

Texas ran in front for Coburn most of his recruitment, but TCU and Zarnell Fitch played the role of a sneaky darkhorse for the former four-star from Spring Westfield. Coburn is now a starter in the middle of the Texas defensive line, and he’s shown flashes of dominant play up front at times. Whether it be against the run or pushing the pocket vertically with the pass rush, Coburn is a valuable and active body in the Big 12.

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: TCU prep, player health, new DE name to know in recruiting

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

The Humidor is a little more humid today with Gary Patterson heading to Austin. Revenge is also in the air, but to exact it, the Longhorns will have to play a much cleaner game than last week on the road. Will UT improve between its second and third games as much as TCU will between its first and second? We’ll have that answer in 27 hours, give or take.

STATE OF TEXAS

Overall there’s a positive vibe emanating from the program. A source pointed out things were much better now than last year heading into the TCU game. Per our sources, the Tech game added a sense of urgency. They know they were lucky to escape with a win and the game shouldn’t have even been all that close to begin with. There were far too many mistakes that have to be cleaned up.

The theme last week in Lubbock was missed tackles. The players held themselves accountable for failing to perform in that basic aspect of the game and worked hard this week to fix the small things that go into a missed tackle: breaking down, not over-pursuing, and not leaving their feet too early. Tackling was worked on in each practice, so if things aren’t drastically improved, ..... uh oh.

Another issue last week was poor linebacker play, namely at Mike. Juwan Mitchell received a lot of coaching this week on taking better angles and getting deeper drops in coverage. He ended up with a couple of interceptions in practice because of it. Rubber bullets in practice are one thing, let’s see how he plays when lead starts flying on Saturday. Improving his play was a point of emphasis, though.

This week is going to be a big test for the linebackers. We can be sure the TCU OC’s saw the struggles in the passing game and will test them similarly, but quarterback Max Duggan is also a serious threat to run the ball. The linebackers have been coached to keep an eye out for Duggan scrambling from the pocket.

Overall, the staff wants to keep Duggan in the pocket and trying to get through his progressions. He’s still young in that regard, and not the most accurate from the pocket. Keeping rush lane integrity is a big priority but if Duggan breaks out, the linebackers will be charged with cleaning it up. He can probably out-run Mitchell, but Overshown is a different creature.

At the same time all this stuff is going on, the defensive backs need to do a better job of re-routing receivers to throw timing off. Injuries aren’t too bad on defense. Chris Brown is banged up and didn’t participate in contact this week, though he did practice. We think he’ll start but we expect to see a lot of BJ Foster as well. Brown is one of the toughest guys on the team and won’t want to sit.

On offense, the return of Jake Smith should provide a jolt to the playbook. We don’t expect to see as much 12 personnel outside of game situations where it makes sense (short yardage, inside the five, etc). From what we’ve heard, we’re expecting the game plan to look more like the Utep game than Tech. We’re expecting the passing game to do a better job of putting defenders in conflict.

Like with TCU, the Texas offensive line will remain a question mark in the immediate future. We think they’ll be aided by staff not insisting on playing big, though of course Texas will want to run the ball, especially after TCU struggled to play the run last week. But you can pass to set up the run.

For the first time this season, we’ll see the wide receiver group with its presumed most likely starters from early August. Brennan Eagles and Tarik Black have waged a war to see who wants to be in the dog house a little less at X. Right now that appears to be Eagles. Andre Coleman runs a tight ship but it isn’t hard to do the right things.

Keaontay Ingram had another good week of practice. He’s a confidence player and right now he’s confident. The Amazing Human Pretzel, Bijan Robinson, practiced this week and will be available. Remember when VY rolled his ankle in a way that would have splintered yours into 37 fragments and then kept playing? Some of these guys are built from different material.

We have confirmed Anwar Richardson’s report that Tyler Johnson is out with a mystery illness. We wish him the best. That shouldn’t affect this season too much. To our knowledge there is nobody in quarantine. Heading into the third game the team is mostly healthy. There are the typical bumps and bruises but nothing too severe or worth reporting.

STATE OF RECRUITING

The Texas staff has begun senior year evaluations on the defensive side of the ball with defensive line, linebacker, and cornerback still being looked at. On the defensive line, Texas continues to be in a battle with Texas A&M for Shemar Turner. The Longhorns also continue to be the slight favorite for Albert Regis. Only Turner has an offer that is guaranteed until signing day between the two, however. Should Texas feel like defensive end is more of a need, that could change defensive line recruiting greatly.

At end, the Longhorns continue to pursue Notre Dame verbal David Abiara. The staff has had communication with the Mansfield Legacy standout in the last week, which is not always the case with a prospect that isn’t as communicative as others typically are. There have been positive conversations about academics with the parents, and a combo of academics and football with Abiara.

There will be several prospects come out of nowhere as seniors in Texas and around the country due to not having spring football and summer camps, and one of those is from the Houston area. Pasadena Sam Rayburn hasn’t produced a Power 5 signee on the football field in a while, but that will change in the 2021 class. Defensive end Je’lin Samuels has caught the eye of programs such as Texas, Arizona State, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Purdue early on. At 6-foot-6 1/4, 225-pounds with quickness and physicality, Samuels could earn an offer from the Longhorns and others if his impressive play continues this season. Samuels played JV as a junior after a transfer from Spring Westfield, and went completely unnoticed until this season. Samuels is a fan of Ed Oliver and Keondre Coburn from his time at Spring Westfield. Texas has made contact with Samuels more than once. He prefers in-state programs Texas, Texas A&M, and Houston prior to the offers beginning.

At linebacker, Texas continues to receive good feedback from Shadow Creek’s Terrence Cooks, but is also continuing to evaluate the position. To this point, there hasn’t be a Je’lin Samuels level prospect to emerge at LB that has the staff‘s full attention. Should Texas push for another cornerback in the class, South Grand Prairie’s Jalon Williams continues to be the leading candidate early in the season.

With Andrew Mukuba committing to Clemson on Thursday, the defensive back number is up in the air. At this time it’s possible the staff will hold what it and save the scholarship for 2022. However, we feel it’s more likely another DB will emerge as a priority.

— Austin High quarterback and Texas pledge Charles Wright is watching the UT offense closely this year. “I love it. Coach Yurcich spreads the ball around, takes shots deep, implements RPOs, and puts a lot of trust in the Quarterback. Hard not to get excited watching the offensive in motion.”

— Tyler Legacy running back Jamarion Miller picked up his long-coveted Texas offer this week. To say he was excited is putting it mildly. Miller told me in 7th grade that he would play for UT one day. When I reminded him of our conversation four years ago, he remembered exactly what he said. He’s very grateful to the Texas staff for believing in him, notably Stan Drayton and assistant Brandon Harris.

The staff sees what we see and are big fans. They like Miller’s alpha nature and the fact he doesn’t care about being in two-back class. A Jaydon Blue-Jamarion Miller backfield duo in the 2022 class is like a painting of old ships; the more you look at it, the more you appreciate it.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, satyanash said:

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: TCU prep, player health, new DE name to know in recruiting

Sounds like IT is thinking the staff has an overall number for DL and taking Samuels could put a pinch on Regis even though they play different positions, which seems similar to what CTJ said yesterday. 

Seems like a mistake to not leave a spot open for Regis regardless of Samuels IMO, and with Turner being a big question mark, we don’t have a whole lot at NT/3-Tech this cycle. 

That was also a pretty mixed message on Cooks. Definitely not a good sign that he isn’t committed right now and watching our LBs attempt to play football probably won’t help, but LSU isn’t exactly going to be lighting the world on fire this season either. Hopefully we get him, because we need his kind of talent in the LB room desperately. 

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sounds like IT is thinking the staff has an overall number for DL and taking Samuels could put a pinch on Regis even though they play different positions, which seems similar to what CTJ said yesterday. 

Seems like a mistake to not leave a spot open for Regis regardless of Samuels IMO, and with Turner being a big question mark, we don’t have a whole lot at NT/3-Tech this cycle. 

That was also a pretty mixed message on Cooks. Definitely not a good sign that he isn’t committed right now and watching our LBs attempt to play football probably won’t help, but LSU isn’t exactly going to be lighting the world on fire this season either. Hopefully we get him, because we need his kind of talent in the LB room desperately. 

I feel like I'm becoming the leading Chicken Little on Cooks. Everyone's been so confident for so long but it just keeps dragging on and on. Seems like that situation has come back to bite us in the ass a few times in the past.

47 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

In this era, they're always going to keep some room for transfers and GTs that are ready-made to fill holes. That causes an artificial ceiling late for spots and this year it could impact the DL, which you picked up on from my prior comments. My rebuttal to that approach was basic: how many DTs and DEs end up as worthwhile GTs? Not many at all. Transfers, sure, but it's not like solidifying WR or OL.

16 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I feel like I'm becoming the leading Chicken Little on Cooks. Everyone's been so confident for so long but it just keeps dragging on and on. Seems like that situation has come back to bite us in the ass a few times in the past.

There are numerous reasons for LBs to go somewhere besides Texas, and very few reasons to choose UT at this point, unfortunately. I don't think being nervous about Cooks is wrong at all. They'd like his commitment. I wasn't around for confidence on the guy, I guess. When I left he was a maybe and I'm here again and he's a maybe. Same folks offline have been consistent about it. 

51 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Won't matter when we beat OU twice and then Clemson and Bama in the playoff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

We need ends. I want Regis, but we need ends.

I agree we need ends, but I don’t think that should cause us to not take Regis. IMO he’s a guy you find a way to make room for. Plus, we only took 3 HS DL in 2019. Warren is a transfer risk, and Mpagi has health issues, so our 2019 DL class is looking pretty thin. In 2020, we took 4 if you include Dorbah, but his future position is unclear and SGW has already moved. So we only have about 4 sure DL from the last two classes. That’s not enough if you’re running a 4 man DL. Plus we took a small class in 2020 so we have a lot of signatures for 2021. 

on top of all that, we don’t exactly have a mob of elite 2021 recruits who are better than Regis knocking down our door to commit right now, so we should have space. I don’t see any reason to pass on Regis regardless of whether we get Samuels at DE. 

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I agree we need ends, but I don’t think that should cause us to not take Regis. IMO he’s a guy you find a way to make room for. Plus, we only took 3 HS DL in 2019. Warren is a transfer risk, and Mpagi has health issues, so our 2019 DL class is looking pretty thin. In 2020, we took 4 if you include Dorbah, but his future position is unclear and SGW has already moved. So we only have about 4 sure DL from the last two classes. That’s not enough if you’re running a 4 man DL. Plus we took a small class in 2020 so we have a lot of signatures for 2021. 

on top of all that, we don’t exactly have a mob of elite 2021 recruits who are better than Regis knocking down our door to commit right now, so we should have space. I don’t see any reason to pass on Regis regardless of whether we get Samuels at DE. 

I agree with all of this. Plus, players besides Warren may leave for untold reasons: We may need to clear the bench or players may not see a future here. We hear bitching when highly rated guys leave, but sometimes other guys are just better. Competition for playing time is a good thing.

56 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I wonder if we still have any sort of shot with Landon Jackson. Haven't heard his name in a long time.