Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

10 hours ago, stork642 said:

Yā€™all shut up about Meyer. Ā If Lincoln finds out heā€™ll throw this weekendā€™s game to make sure the turtle stays at Texas. Ā  Lincoln knows that sometimes you have to lose a battle to win the war. Ā Oh and fuck OU and the Brocks. Ā Ā 

Like when case McCoy bent stoops over

1 hour ago, NoName said:

I believe the HCIW designation got nerfed into the ground around when Coach Boom was named that, impacting traveling/recruiting in home visits?

I get what you are saying in concept but want to be fairly clear around that specific designation (or did I imagine this?)

It was really just an angry old man yells at sky rant because I hate Meyer. I had completely glossed over the HCIW restrictions; those must be in the same shade of red I was seeing. In any case, I'd like the illusion that if Meyer does come here, it'd be to right the ship and hand over the helm to the next wunderkind.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

It was really just an angry old man yells at sky rant because I hate Meyer. I had completely glossed over the HCIW restrictions; those must be in the same shade of red I was seeing. In any case, I'd like the illusion that if Meyer does come here, it'd be to right the ship and hand over the helm to the next wunderkind.

I have zero qualms about 3-4 years of Urban Meyer before handing the reins over to the next Ryan Day...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If Meyer left fOSU in 2014, Tom Herman was Ryan Day.

Yeah....but taking over a Meyer led program instead of a Strong led program would lead to completely different early results and skew both perception and expectation. We still don't know what Day is if we're being honest. He looks good now, but Larry Coker was the best of all time after 1 year. I'm saying that everyone would look at Herman differently if he'd taken over for Meyer instead of Strong despite being the same coach.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Yeah....but taking over a Meyer led program instead of a Strong led program would lead to completely different early results and skew both perception and expectation. We still don't know what Day is if we're being honest. He looks good now, but Larry Coker was the best of all time after 1 year. I'm saying that everyone would look at Herman differently if he'd taken over for Meyer instead of Strong despite being the same coach.

I am of the belief that Herman has actually been a pretty good bridge to the next guy for this exact reason. If Meyer came in after Strong, he would have worked to instill culture, upgrade facilities, and implement football process. Despite Herman's failings, he has been good in facilities and process to the extent that the next guy won't have to start from scratch. Tom hasn't won, but he's built the framework of a winning organization.Ā Ā 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I am of the belief that Herman has actually been a pretty good bridge to the next guy for this exact reason. If Meyer came in after Strong, he would have worked to instill culture, upgrade facilities, and implement football process. Despite Herman's failings, he has been good in facilities and process to the extent that the next guy won't have to start from scratch. Tom hasn't won, but he's built the framework of a winning organization.Ā Ā 

Ultimately, the biggest contribution the Hermanticore may wind up making for the Texas program is his thorough softening of the program's self-perceived moral high ground. It started immediately with the hiring of Casey Horny and has continued onward, one chip away at the high ground position after another. Dealing with street agents? Check. Hiring a bag man? Check. Stories involving coke and strippers including and not including the wife? Check. Working to keep guys who commit crimes eligible? Leitao, Check. Josh Moore, Check. Alienating administrators, boosters, general fans, and the media? Check. Causing players to outright revolt at least once a year? Check.

If you think about it from that perspective, it almost makes the guy noble in some fashion. The next guy coming in could get away with just about anything and he'd be our Barry Switzer in that, if he's winning, we'd cheer him on and laugh at his gregarious nature while he flagrantly destroys the last vestiges of integrity woven into the Texas Football DNA code. How wonderful.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yep and as much as people are shitting on the roster, it's a night and day difference from what he walked into in 2017.Ā  Hypothetically, if he was fired at the end of this season, the only positions where we need to recruit immediately better is OL, OL, and maybe WR. Everywhere else is pretty good.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Yep and as much as people are shitting on the roster, it's a night and day difference from what he walked into in 2017.Ā  Hypothetically, if he was fired at the end of this season, the only positions where we need to recruit immediately better is OL, OL, and maybe WR. Everywhere else is pretty good.

LBLBLBLBLBLB

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This is not entirely true. Depth is considerably better now. But look at NFL rosters of what he inherited. He had the following:

DL - Ford, Roach, Omenihu, Elliott
LB - Jefferson, granted he can't stick but he fit the profile
DB - Elliott, Hill, Boyd, Jones
WR - Duvernay, Johnson
OL - Williams
P - Dickson

Other guys who at least flashed - Chris Warren, Jean Delance, Beuchele.

Brown left the cupboard barren save a small handful of upper classmen.

I'm not talking about college production or how you felt about their abilities while here but how the NFL perceived their skills in either drafting or thinking holy shit this free agents good, let's get him some playing time. And there are two still in college who are very solid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This is not entirely true. Depth is considerably better now. But look at NFL rosters of what he inherited. He had the following:

DL - Ford, Roach, Omenihu, Elliott
LB - Jefferson, granted he can't stick but he fit the profile
DB - Elliott, Hill, Boyd, Jones
WR - Duvernay, Johnson
OL - Williams
P - Dickson

Other guys who at least flashed - Chris Warren, Jean Delance, Beuchele.

Brown left the cupboard barren save a small handful of upper classmen.

I'm not talking about college production or how you felt about their abilities while here but how the NFL perceived their skills in either drafting or thinking holy shit this free agents good, let's get him some playing time. And there are two still in college who are very solid.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ā 

Most of those guys weren't playing well under charlie.Ā  Elliot was behind Haines, Jefferson was going to get benched.Ā  Did Tom "coach them up" or was it just eventual experience?

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Ultimately, the biggest contribution the Hermanticore may wind up making for the Texas program is his thorough softening of the program's self-perceived moral high ground. It started immediately with the hiring of Casey Horny and has continued onward, one chip away at the high ground position after another. Dealing with street agents? Check. Hiring a bag man? Check. Stories involving coke and strippers including and not including the wife? Check. Working to keep guys who commit crimes eligible? Leitao, Check. Josh Moore, Check. Alienating administrators, boosters, general fans, and the media? Check. Causing players to outright revolt at least once a year? Check.

If you think about it from that perspective, it almost makes the guy noble in some fashion. The next guy coming in could get away with just about anything and he'd be our Barry Switzer in that, if he's winning, we'd cheer him on and laugh at his gregarious nature while he flagrantly destroys the last vestiges of integrity woven into the Texas Football DNA code. How wonderful.Ā 

Ā 

The pain that I have endured in the last sevenĀ years has made me all but abandon all of these moral fire lines that I created about the virtue of Texas football against our peers. Honestly, the pain and misery from watching the end of that TCU game has me *almost* to the point where if you said we were bringing in Art Briles I would even be ok with it.Ā  Yes, I said that out loud. If that makes me a terrible person then so be it. It's maddening watching Duggan run up the middle against our " I dare you to QB draw against a wide open field" alignment, twice and seeing Sam run a slow developing option play to the short side of the field to run clock when we were up by threeĀ with eightĀ minutes to go.Ā  I've reached a new level of grief beyond apathy and to a new stage where these losses are starting to cause physical harm to me. I'm the modern day Faust ready to hire whomever it takes just to avoid watching that fucking 4th quarter shit show again.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Morality is a spectrum. There's cheating by paying market price for an amateur athlete and then there's Baylor. I'm fine with the first, not so much with the second.

Exactly. Saying you're okay with Briles-level "ethics" to win football games is directly condoning rape. Jesus. Newy needs to get a fucking life.Ā 

Edited by honolulu horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, honolulu horn said:

Exactly. Saying you're okay with Briles-level "ethics" to win football games is directly condoning rape. Jesus. Get a fucking life.Ā 

I just meant to highlight that we call it cheatingĀ because it's against the rules. We don't question the value of the rule. The college football system kind of exploits amateur athletes in a way that baseball, basketball, soccer, and hockey don't, IMO. There's a huge difference between breaking the rules and breaking the law.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Don't forget these classics...

Ā 

20 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Exactly. Saying you're okay with Briles-level "ethics" to win football games is directly condoning rape. Jesus. Newy needs to get a fucking life.Ā 

First of all, telling someone on a message board to ā€œget a lifeā€ is so hilariously ironic I do not even know where to start. Iā€™m not ok with what Briles did at Baylor. I have two daughters in college athletics so do not put words in my mouth. What he and their entire administration did was criminal.Ā 

I talk in hyperbole because I am an emotionally invested fan talking on a fucking message board know for its acceptance of outrageous shit. And I just watched a game where a Texas football coach, one who is not virtuous to say the least gotĀ his game plan served right back at him. And there are people who believe Urban Meyer is not worthy of Texas because he is not a good person? Ā Well, I guess that is not a position Iā€™m down with.Ā 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

First of all, telling someone on a message board to ā€œget a lifeā€ is so hilariously ironic I do not even know where to start. Iā€™m not ok with what Briles did at Baylor. I have two daughters in college athletics so do not put words in my mouth. What he and their entire administration did was criminal.Ā 

I talk in hyperbole because I am an emotionally invested fan talking on a fucking message board know for its acceptance of outrageous shit. And I just watched a game where a Texas football coach, one who is not virtuous to say the least gotĀ his game plan served right back at him. And there are people who believe Urban Meyer is not worthy of Texas because he is not a good person? Ā Well, I guess that is not a position Iā€™m down with.Ā 

Yeah, I don't disagree with this. I disagreed with what you wrote previously aboout considering Art Briles as a coach -- "if that makes me a terrible person so be it" -- which you now characterize asĀ hyperbole. Whatever.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

As Texas fans/alums, we have had an artificial mental boundary around what is okay at Texas and what will not be tolerated at Texas.Ā 

CTJ: Fuck your wall

tenor.gif?itemid=14231096

The collective about-face the last few pages is hilarious.

Yeah, I'm still not able to cross that bridge. Meyer is such a piece of shit. I just meant knowing his time would be fleeting would be the only way I wouldn't walk away completely if he was brought here. I have no problem with some of the rule bending a la Dabo or Saban as I'm most definitely not holier than thou, but I draw the line at inviting the criminal element onto campus. I know his time at Ohio State was less checkered than Florida, but I'm not sure if that's due to some change in Meyer or the ability of his surroundings to insulate things.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

Nick Harris: JJ Henry updates recruitment as he approaches a top six list

JUSTIN, Texas ā€” McKinney North returned to the field last Friday night for the first time this season against Justin Northwest as it also served as the first time three-star wide receiver JJ Henry touched the field since the conclusion of his junior year. Since then, Henry has picked up massive amounts of attention on the recruiting trail and has been tabbed as an Under Armour All-American after a huge spring with the DFW-based Flex 7-on-7 select team.

"We performed pretty good tonight," Henry said despite the 63-49 opening loss. "We have a lot of new guys, I think I could've done better. I wasn't finishing my routes, but we have a lot of guys that are getting their first taste of varsity and there were just minor mistakes we can improve on."

Despite a slew of 2021 recruits having already locked their recruitments down, Henry has been one of the few to take it slow and fully evaluate his options as he has insisted before that he is in no rush to commit. "The process has been going good," he said. "I'm coming down to a top six pretty soon. It's been slowing down with everyone playing."

Texas, Florida State, Ole Miss and Texas A&M have been the schools showing the most interest in Henry lately, and Texas has a good shot to separate themselves out front based on his relationship with wide receivers coach Andre Coleman. "We talked earlier today actually," he said. "He told me good luck on the game and to stay focused and all that."

Henry hasn't visited Texas before, but something weighing heavy on his mind is their recent pedigree of receivers including Devin Duvernay. "They take a lot of people to the league," he said. "They're a powerhouse team. They just sent an inside receiver to the league last year so that's good to know." Before making a decision, Henry would like to either wait until after the presumed end of the emergency dead period in effect until January 1 to take official visits or take virtual visits to further evaluate his options.

At 5-foot-10, 165 pounds, Henry is the No. 560 ranked recruit in the country, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 90 wide receiver in the country and the No. 80 recruit in the state of Texas.

Ā 

2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Morality is a spectrum. There's cheating by paying market price for an amateur athlete and then there's Baylor. I'm fine with the first, not so much with the second.

& thats why texas will never be elite again until this changesĀ 

Spoiler

Ā 

when was the last time a good ol boy team won the national title?

i will take a team full of aaron hernandez' & 30 other arrested players meyer had over a roster full of denzel okaforsĀ 

all u moral high ground people need to go cheer for a pac 12 school who treats everyone equal from the football team to the womens water polo team i

Ā 

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

34 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Yeah, I'm still not able to cross that bridge. Meyer is such a piece of shit. I just meant knowing his time would be fleeting would be the only way I wouldn't walk away completely if he was brought here. I have no problem with some of the rule bending a la Dabo or Saban as I'm most definitely not holier than thou, but I draw the line at inviting the criminal element onto campus. I know his time at Ohio State was less checkered than Florida, but I'm not sure if that's due to some change in Meyer or the ability of his surroundings to insulate things.Ā 

dabo stared a player in the national championship who pistol whipped broke in an apartment & robbed his teammateĀ 

you have to have questionable players to winĀ 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

i guarantee you had no problem cheering for the 2005 texas team that had player likeĀ Cedric Griffin and Ramonce Taylor commit assaultĀ or the other player who committedĀ armed robberyĀ 

Ā 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, hornfromdallas said:

dabo stared a player in the national championship who pistol whipped broke in an apartment & robbed his teammateĀ 

you have to have questionable players to winĀ 

CJ Fuller? He was also off the team after this. They're 18-22 year old young men away from home for the first time. You can't know for sure which one will or won't react well to the newfound freedom, but you can sure as hell not recruit Marcel Brooks with all of the smoke. Like I said, I'm not holier than thou, but we shouldn't be looking at 25% of the team with arrest recordsĀ either.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

who is this bag man you speak of? go on ill wait no its not jayĀ 

the last coach at texas even remotely close to a bag man was charlie strongs db coach & even he stopped using bagman tactics at texasĀ 

who da fook cares about integrity its 2020 go cheer for a pac 12 team if u feel that wayĀ 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, KYHorn said:

Nature abhors a vacuum, CTJ. You only have yourself to blame.Ā 

I blame @SydneyCarton. He's been gloating to me during golf outings over the past few months that Carl showed up again and had somehow wedged his way into a position of revered insider from the likes of texihornia, fatkid, and Burt Macklin. I didn't believe him, but the minute I showed back up and saw this clown's posts, I had to reconcile history with this grim reality.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

Ā 

26 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

& thats why texas will never be elite again until this changesĀ 

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

Ā 

when was the last time a good ol boy team won the national title?

i will take a team full of aaron hernandez' & 30 other arrested players meyer had over a roster full of denzel okaforsĀ 

all u moral high ground people need to go cheer for a pac 12 school who treats everyone equal from the football team to the womens water polo team i

Ā 

Ā 

I don't think you follow the sport as closely as you think you do.

2 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

He had some legit info for a while, so people (self included) assumed it was you fucking with us during Covid boredom.

We Fucked Up GIF - Fuckedup Bradleycooper Hangover - Discover & Share GIFs

I don't create socks. My trolling would have been more creative, if I had been interested. Truth is, I couldn't get interested in the boards. I went on a month-long road trip across the country with my wife and kids (without decapitating an RV), married off my oldest daughter on a different trip to California, helped get two businesses launched, played a bunch of golf, fished a bunch, read a bunch of books, focused on the kids and my day job, and woke up one day and Texas was playing UTEP. That flipped the switch, a little at least, but I couldn't get interested for a good long while. Still haven't watched a single pitch of MLB this year for some reason.Ā 

Anyway, SHAME!!! SHAME!!! Good lord.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I blame @SydneyCarton. He's been gloating to me during golf outings over the past few months that Carl showed up again and had somehow wedged his way into a position of revered insider from the likes of texihornia, fatkid, and Burt Macklin. I didn't believe him, but the minute I showed back up and saw this clown's posts, I had to reconcile history with this grim reality.Ā 

Excuse me good sir, but I revere our new glizzy guggling overlord and I will not stand idly by whileĀ you besmirch his good name. The man just wants whatā€™s best for our university, namelyĀ more felons, thots, and Art Briles coaching. I, for one, cannot imagine any wayĀ his plan does not work out.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Nick Saban told a Desoto recruit in 2009, a family friend of mine not to worry about his low standardizedĀ Ā test score because ā€œthey will take care of it.ā€ Nick Saban is also a gigantic piece of shit as a human who would pawn his first born child for another national championship. Iā€™m pretty sure I would have been glad had he coachedĀ Texas these last ten years. Tom Herman metaphorically and literally flies two middle fingers at Texas fans every chance he gets. He is a huge piece of shit as well but we accepted him.Ā 

Being a piece of shit as a person should not exclude someone from coaching at Texas.Ā 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Nick Saban told a Desoto recruit in 2009, a family friend of mine not to worry about his low standardizedĀ Ā test score because ā€œthey will take care of it.ā€ Nick Saban is also a gigantic piece of shit as a human who would pawn his first born child for another national championship. Iā€™m pretty sure I would have been glad had he coachedĀ Texas these last ten years. Tom Herman metaphorically and literally flies two middle fingers at Texas fans every chance he gets. He is a huge piece of shit as well but we accepted him.Ā 

Being a piece of shit as a person should not exclude someone from coaching at Texas.Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

This is a lot of words to say "I support Briles and systemic rape is on the table."Ā 

tenor.gif?itemid=17150127

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1